• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxim726X

gcubed said:
take this opportunity to help yourself, stop using the same password

I know I shouldn't be... But there's no way I'm going to remember all of my passwords. I'm sure this has been asked, but: Any good programs/apps that are good for this?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Sony is still fucking up by not sending PSN customers an email about the breach. SERIOUSLY?! Come on man! Pathetic.

daffy

Banned
alphaNoid said:
Nothing about what was announced today was business as usual, and its going to be incredibly awkward when Sony stands on stage with smiles and trys to get consumers excited about 1 single thing.

"Hey everyone, remember us.. Sony? We lost all your personal information, passwords and maybe your credit cards ... Sorry about that, but check this ... UNCHARTED 3!"

http://30gms.com/images/uploads/Birmingham.jpg

*cricket* *cricket*

I wish Sony the best but 6-7 weeks is probably not enough time to heal.
I'll be pretty excited for Uncharted 3 and all the new games coming out. Really looking forward to that part of the conference.

DiscoJer

dude said:
This makes me quite paranoid - I mean, I would like to think Sony aren't a bunch of incompetent idiots who can't properly secure their network, and if I can't trust a company as big as Sony, who can I trust?

I mean, I love Steam and trust Valve, but how am I supposed to trust them with my CC info when a company as big as Sony it down?

Valve manages to update its store on time, right?

Sony has just taken a half-assed, half-hearted approach to the entire PSN thing. It showed in how they couldn't be bothered to update the store at a regular time (like every other digital download platform does) to crappy security.

larvi

Fuckme, just created my first PSN account about 3 weeks ago for my PSP Go, now I find out they possibly got my name/address/birthdate/email/mother's maiden name. why in the hell do companies require me to provide this information if they can't fucking protect it? This is major shit. And I can't even access my profile now to see what info has been compromised to know what steps to take to protect myself.

mr_nothin

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:
PICK YOUR POISON.....this all happened since LAST MONTH. I have never seen so many high level outages, including PSN. Scary times for us indeed....beware Skynet!!

http://www.csoonline.com/article/678846/bank-customers-warned-after-breach-at-epsilon-marketing-firm

http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=3872

http://www.macworld.com/article/159447/2011/04/amazon_cloud_outage.html
Yea, this has been happening to tons banks, credit card companies, and businesses over the past few months. This isn't just a Sony issue. There's something crazy going on in the hacking community.

lifa-cobex

DMeisterJ said:
Um... Business as usual?

It sucks and it's terrible, but they'll move on and talk about what they were going to talk about before. This won't change much. They may emphasize network security during the PSN section of the conference though.

Not sure what to think. To be honest il be suppressed if ANYONE buy's a ps3 for a long time.
This news has spread like wildfire on news, internet and radio.

This will be the worst Christmas ever for Sony.

Il be really interested to hear on how they bring back the comfort factor to the average household.

Kyoufu

Just have to change my PSN passwords, that's all.

I hope this doesn't happen to MS/Nintendo going forward. Not a good thing to happen for any company since it fucks users.

tzare

so, i always deleted my CC info after any PSN purchase, is that supposed to mean that the info was deleted from PSN servers too ?

Loudninja

Zoe said:
My issue is that in those cases, they were real individuals, real information being compromised. How many of the PSN accounts are actually unique people? Of those unique people, how many actual of those use valid information? Of those with valid information, how many actually linked credit information?
Yeah I got quite a few PSN accounts all them fake info but one.

jett said:
Just calling out Sony's fucktarded advice

On PSN the username you use to log-in is your e-mail address. How am I going to change that?
change it at the OTHER place..chances are its not the case anywhere else its being used..did you not even consider thats what they meant?

spindashing said:
Sorry for my bluntness, but:

Are there any reports of anyone's Credit Card/Debit Card being utilized as a result of this hack?

This may be a total coincidence but the credit card I had on file was used last week on the 21st to buy over $1000 of cosmetics from some online Canadian cosmetic store. My bank called me on the 22nd, removed the charges, and sent me a new card.

daffy

Banned
Wario64 said:
Sony is still fucking up by not sending PSN customers an email about the breach. SERIOUSLY?! Come on man! Pathetic.
Why would they do that?

They just told customers to watch out from suspicious emails for Sony that contain requests or personal info.

derFeef

Wario64 said:
Yeah, it should be a nobrainer to inform your customers about the state of something like this. On every possible way.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Pyccko said:
He wasn't saying the hackers didn't get the passwords, just that we can't find out what the passwords were if we had forgotten.
I wasn't trying to imply the former. I should have been explicit in how interpreted it:
They can't tell you your password. Which I translate it to: We can't see the plaintext passwords.

That there are other methods of storing passwords that are only a notch above plaintext passwords but still makes it impossible for normal customer reps to check the password has been explained in this thread.

lupinko

Shin Dynamo X said:
PICK YOUR POISON.....this all happened since LAST MONTH. I have never seen so many high level outages, including PSN. Scary times for us indeed....beware Skynet!!

http://www.csoonline.com/article/678846/bank-customers-warned-after-breach-at-epsilon-marketing-firm

http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=3872

http://www.macworld.com/article/159447/2011/04/amazon_cloud_outage.html

Yup, but it's all about saying fuck you to sorny right now to the majority of the populace in this thread.

Requeim

lifa-cobex said:
Not sure what to think. To be honest il be suppressed if ANYONE buy's a ps3 for a long time.

Il be really interested to hear on how they bring back the comfort factor to the average household.

You're not helping

*sigh*

railGUN

Banned
Zoe said:
My issue is that in those cases, they were real individuals, real information being compromised. How many of the PSN accounts are actually unique people? Of those unique people, how many actual of those use valid information? Of those with valid information, how many actually linked credit information?

Its pretty unfair to compare the two, no? Seeing as how much is known about one, and how little is known about the other.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I understand the frustration. But why rage at Sony if we don't know whether they could have prevented it yet?

coldvein

Banned
jesus christ. i just got a new debit card (and linked it to PSN) like two weeks ago. do i have to cancel it and get another fucking new one? takes like a week and a half to get a new card/pin delivered. FUCK YOU SONY.

dude

dude
DiscoJer said:
Valve manages to update its store on time, right?

Sony has just taken a half-assed, half-hearted approach to the entire PSN thing. It showed in how they couldn't be bothered to update the store at a regular time (like every other digital download platform does) to crappy security.
I'm not going to tie my CC information to anything but Paypal for a while, just to be sure. You can buy off Steam with Paypal, right?

Big Baybee said:
All this outrage at Sony, barely any for the hackers. This does suck, though.
Both are to be blamed but Sony should have taken the necessary precautions to protect our information.

Hackers should be blamed for being low life losers.

MrPliskin said:
I can literally find you dozens upon dozens of other examples of other sites and major services that were compromised at one time or another. If people want it, they will try, prod, and dig until they can get it.

I agree that the same thing can happen to other services. I think where Sony is at fault, they did kind of challenge the hackers to try and attack them after all the geohot legal crap.

Wario64 said:
If it wasn't for GAF, I doubt I would have found out that my information may be in the hands of a third party that I do not know.

Brera

Banned
If hackers want to hack a system they will.

If they put the same effort into Live, that would get hacked just as fast...or slowly, it's been what? 4 years? From what I remember Live did get hacked, maybe not as bad.

Lets not forget that the Pentagon gets hacked all the time.

Not making excuses, just putting it in perspective. I hope Sony assrapes these hackers.

But yes. Sony fucked up not sending this warning earlier. Then again, they probably waited until the security review was done and they knew for sure that some data had been stolen not just piracy.

Psy-Phi

MrPliskin said:
How exactly to you determine what was downloaded? Depending on the security hole, and the skill of said lowlives, er, "hackers", it could be near impossible to tell.

Also, to those saying "I'm never putting my Card on PSN again" I hope you're ready to never put your card on ANYTHING again.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/68729/credit-cards-compromised-as-hackers-target-beauty-site

http://www.hackinthebox.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=19127

http://venturebeat.com/2009/01/20/another-day-another-100-million-credit-cards-compromised/

http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=14485716

I can literally find you dozens upon dozens of other examples of other sites and major services that were compromised at one time or another. If people want it, they will try, prod, and dig until they can get it.

Any system worth the time to set up for anything in business has logs. Those logs show what users accessed. They can be wiped of course, but that would require an intimate knowledge of the system from the hacker, because any system administrator learns to change the names and locations of these logs.

We have information going back for each month of the last 5 years on file, and I just work at a lab. Going back 15 years on backups. Every month is encrypted and backed up, with only the current month being plain and open to use. And you need root access on the system the log is on to modify it. And that root password is only known by 6 people on site (a site of over 300 people). It's the same set up at the university our lab works with, and they've got thousands of people that have access to their system and it logs every single user accessing anything on the remote systems.

I guess it's possible for something to fall through the cracks. I just can't believe they wouldn't have some means of knowing whether or not the file was accessed.

I am fully aware of how often CC info is compromised, it's a good policy to use a virtual credit card if your bank has that feature (thank you citi), or a credit card with a very low balance. Everyone should cancel their cards to be safe. If you use a debit card, get a new one after getting out a few hundred dollars from your account to live without your card for a few days (never know what might happen).

Wario64 said:
HEY GUYS, NO NEW INFORMATION TO REPORT. THANK YOU FOR WAITING

. 6 days later
OH HAI GUYS PERSONAL INFO AND MAYBE CREDIT CARD INFO HAVE BEEN STOLEN, THANKS FOR WAITING!

Surprise! That part is why Dick Blumenthal (former Connecticut Attorney General and now Senator) has already started knocking on Sony's doors

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained.

FUCK YOU SONY AND YOUR PATHETIC PSN FAIL NETWORK!! I have also a PS3, but this shit is just ridiculous!! :(

Adamm

dude said:
I'm not going to tie my CC information to anything but Paypal for a while, just to be sure. You can buy off Steam with Paypal, right?

Yes, thats what i use

Sony should link PSN to paypal also

DMeisterJ

Banned
lifa-cobex said:

I mean, I can't predict the future, but I don't think that people are not going to buy the system because it was previously hacked. They can easily buy it and buy a card in store, or buy a PSN card or code on Amazon. But who knows.

spindashing said:
If it wasn't for GAF, I doubt I would have found out that my information may be in the hands of a third party that I do not know.

I found out from Twitter. :/ Sony should have E Mailed us.

Big Baybee said:
All this outrage at Sony, barely any for the hackers. This does suck, though.
To whom would their anger be directed at? The hackers blow, but until it's known who they are and why they were just so awesome that Sony never had a chance at stopping them, you're just directing anger at anonymous individuals. There's no one specifically to blame there. We do, however, know that Sony was in charge of keeping this personal information safe, and they failed to do so.

That's why people are mad at Sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom