• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
styl3s said:
Last time i checked my bank account and every other service was never hacked and had 70 million accounts compromised.

sony is a incompetent company and i am done with them, im selling my ps3 and all my games on craigslist and ill just play infamous 2 and uncharted 3 at my friends, they will never get another penny from me and it isn't just the fact that this happened, it's the fact they waited almost a fucking week to tell us our shit is possibly stolen.. they don't have the right to hold that kind of information from us, it's my information, my bank card.. i have a right to know the second my shit is breached, not a goddamn week later.

fuck PS3, fuck NGP and fuck everything sony related.

Seriously??!

Mael

Vestal said:
No they just knew that everyone had access to the front door key(SSL).... Instead of changing the locks(Reworking the way SSL was implemented) they apparently just went about their business and didnt take any other precautions like puting a safe inside the house.

So going by that if anyone is charged on their CC or get his identity stolen as a result of this break, they should shoulder the biggest part of the blame then?

xbhaskarx

FINALBOSS said:
XBL gets hacked probably 30 times a day.

You pay someone 200 bucks to steal someone's Gamertag and personal information and it's done.

So can people just make reputation-damaging claims like this without providing any actual evidence?

Persona7

Banned
mysteriousmage09 said:
It's probably expired by now.
Yeah it expired last year but all the bank did was reissue the debit card with the same numbers.

Just being cautious because you never know, it took her 45 seconds on the phone to cancel the card and get issued a new card that will be there in 4 days through the mail.

reKon

Banned
styl3s said:
Last time i checked my bank account and every other service was never hacked and had 70 million accounts compromised.

sony is a incompetent company and i am done with them, im selling my ps3 and all my games on craigslist and ill just play infamous 2 and uncharted 3 at my friends, they will never get another penny from me and it isn't just the fact that this happened, it's the fact they waited almost a fucking week to tell us our shit is possibly stolen.. they don't have the right to hold that kind of information from us, it's my information, my bank card.. i have a right to know the second my shit is breached, not a goddamn week later.

SHIT SON

A.R.K

to blimblim and others who are trying to distinguish b/w the FW hackers and the current hackers:

1. Hacking is hacking, you are trying to open a can of worms when you start hacking some system. And on top of that, let every one KNOW the shit you find. Thats what geo and others did. I am fine if they did hack it and keep the private info private but they have to fucking tout about it and then let every one know so anyone can abuse this info. Saying 'oh we don't mean to open it for abuse' is pure BS. Everyone knew it would cause piracy and other abuse. But they still exposed it.

2. There is no proof that this is not related to the revenge on Sony and vice versa. But the timing of this suggests that some hacker might have been motivated by recent events and even by the Anonymous dick. Also its very convenient to distance yourself when shit blows up just like Anon did. But who knows who did this.

3. I do understand this was not caused by geo or other FW hackers. But they started this chain reaction for sure. Are the hackers that took user info/CC#s a lot worse than FW hackers, absolutely. But the others are not so innocent as some of you guys are suggesting.

4. I do blame some of it on Sony for having a weak security protocol. Hope they learn their lesson. But honestly, if hackers really want to fuck with you they would find a way. May be it would take a bit more effort and time.

Anyways, I hope this shit gets resolved w/o damage to any one and we can all get back online and enjoy our beloved hobby. I miss you PSN :(

wow carnival of stupid continues...where have you been living all this time? No other service gets hacked?? lol

MThanded

xbhaskarx said:
So can people just make reputation-damaging claims like this without providing any actual evidence?
Hes actually correct. Peoples gamertags get ganked everyday. I read an article about this.

btkadams

styl3s said:

this is such an overreaction. we don't even know the extent. they basically just said they won't eliminate all the possibilities yet. if anything, this event will make psn extremely secure for the future.

Abylim

Vestal said:
I don't know how they got hacked.. For the most part people defending sony on this thread have been using the excuse that since CFW the SSL was compromised, and thats how the hackers got through. I have been pointing to the fact that if this is true, its still no excuse, since sony has known about this for months now.

But if everyone had the keys (so to speak) then how is it that it took so long to happen?

Face it, you just want to blame sony for something.

xbhaskarx said:

He's been called on it multiple times, no evidence provided at all.

Something about social engineering, but that's not hacking nor is it even remotely comparable to Sony's security implosion.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Seriously? This is unacceptable. Has a major company ever leaked credit card details like this in recent memory? Surely they can be held accountable, somehow?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
styl3s said:

AND FUCK THE PO'LEECE

Vestal

TOAO_Cyrus said:
Yeah isn't SSL more about protecting the actual transaction from interception, not preventing unauthorized access?

yes.. *sigh* the whole argument about SSL was brought a few pages back(more like first couple of pages lol)..

Anyways the logic behind SSL being broken is that they are able to sniff through the packets clearly seeing exactly what was being trasmitted and thus being able to develop code to get through to the servers...

styl3s said:

I died laughing.

UkOAj.png

lol

kamspy

MThanded said:
Seriously??!

If this isn't a good enough reason, what is? If my Bank compromised my info and wasn't transparent about until a week after the fact I wouldn't do business with them anymore.

MThanded

Vestal said:
yes.. *sigh* the whole argument about SSL was brought a few pages back(more like first couple of pages lol)..

Anyways the logic behind SSL being broken is that they are able to sniff through the packets clearly seeing exactly what was being trasmitted and thus being able to develop code to get through to the servers...
Quit your BSing please. Are you saying sony should not be using SSL. Tell that to a large majority of the internet SSL is still a supported and relied upon standard.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
btkadams said:
this is such an overreaction. we don't even know the extent. they basically just said they won't eliminate all the possibilities yet. if anything, this event will make psn extremely secure for the future.

The meltdowns!

This thread is like when you wipe your ass and you accidentally end up touching shit.

You know it smells like shit, but you smell it anyway.

Mael

Rez said:
Seriously? This is unacceptable. Has a major company ever leaked credit card details like this in recent memory? Surely they can be held accountable, somehow?

Hasn't the UK government lost plenty of social security data on a disc or something a few years back?

Angry Fork

J-Rzez said:
I really hate people. Now I have to call up my bank, get a new card/number tomorrow. I'm not worried about them as much trying to open new credit lines because I already have it set up to take more steps in the process, and they don't have my social obviously. All I know is they, and other companies need to change their process that they have so much of your personal information, as no matter how secure you think your system is, there's always someone out there smarter than the people you had design it in the first place.

But man has Sony had a rough gen. I'd expect them to get something new out quicker than they would have liked to now to try and forget this gen all together.

I didn't agree with the people that said it before, but I do now. This gen, on all platforms, blows.
For real. +1 to this post. I hope Sony can come back from this and wipe the slate clean with their next console. It's not only them though this gen has been quite the mess everywhere you look.

styl3s said:

Yeah Sony! How dare you assess a situation before making it public! Im boycotting your games, but i'll play them if someone else buys them!

daffy

Banned
Rez said:
hmmm. They have found no evidence that CC info was leaked.

Crisis

Banned
styl3s said:

You should pick up a PC. I bet those are more secure.

iNvid02

here is what happened in the UK a few years ago, it probably still happens we just dont know yet.

November 20 2007: Two computer discs holding personal information on 25 million people including 7.25 million families receiving child benefit are lost. The discs were sent via unrecorded internal mail. The information is unencrypted, prompting fears it could be used for fraud.

December 11 2007: Loss of two non-encrypted computer discs containing the names and addresses of 7,658 Northern Ireland motorists.

December 17 2007: The transport secretary, Ruth Kelly, announces that details of 3 million candidates for the driving theory test were lost in transit in Iowa. No financial information was included.

December 23 2007: Nine English NHS trusts admit to losing patient records. One case is thought to involve City and Hackney Primary Care losing the names and addresses of 160,000 children.

January 18 2008: Hundreds of documents containing sensitive personal data are found on a roundabout in Devon. They include details of benefit claims, mortgage payments and photocopies of passports. Confidential data had previously been found at the same location on November 6 2007.

January 19 2008: A laptop belonging to a Royal Navy officer is stolen in Birmingham. It contains details of 600,000 potential armed forces recruits. For those who submitted an application, this includes bank and passport details, National Insurance numbers, doctors' addresses and family information.

July 18 2008: Ministry of Defence says 658 laptops have been stolen and 89 lost in four years, with 32 recovered; and 26 portable memory sticks have been lost since January 2007, with 19 containing restricted information and three classified as secret.

August 22 2008: A memory stick containing details of 127,000 criminals in England and Wales is lost by an external contractor. It contains sensitve information about 33,000 persistent offenders including their names, addresses and dates of birth.

August 26 2008: Banking information on 1 million people held by the archiving firm Graphic Data is found on the hard drive of a laptop sold on eBay for £35.88. The information includes bank account numbers, phone numbers, mothers' maiden names and signatures of customers of American Express, NatWest and the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Vestal

Genjikage said:
But if everyone had the keys (so to speak) then how is it that it took so long to happen?

Face it, you just want to blame sony for something.

yeah for my fucking personal information being stolen... I put my trust in them to keep it reasonably safe and they failed miserably.

It didn't take too long... Breaching security isn't a 5min thing.. takes time to understand what you are attackng.

Agent X

Agent X said:
You can't change it right now. What they mean is that once PSN/Qriocity is reactivated, that you log on and change your password as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, as I said earlier, if you use the same or similar password elsewhere (E-mail, shopping sites, etc.), then it would be a good idea to change your password on those sites as well.

Linkified said:
But only if those services are on the same email address right?

Well, if we suppose the hacker(s) obtained your name, mailing address, phone number, E-mail address, etc., then it's probably easier for them to scam if you logged onto the other service using the same E-mail address that you used on PSN. That said, since they might have other vital information (name, mailing address, etc.), you might want to take precautions on other services, even if you used a different E-mail address.

obonicus

Rez said:

Plenty, actually. And... they pay fines, there are class action lawsuits. The fines aren't terribly impressive, though.

Hex

Banned
Rez said:

You do remember the part where there is no confirmation that credit card details have been leaked right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom