• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mael

FirstInHell said:
This is the last straw for me. I just put my PS3 up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PlayStatio...Video_Games&hash=item48403137c6#ht_1884wt_905

I'm so done with Sony.

$%28KGrHqQOKp0E1rB%21+i%29lBNtwLtMg4%21%7E%7E_14.JPG

That's totally the reason why....

Dipswitch

Posted this earlier, but got no nibbles - Is the process of periodically adding funds to your PSN "wallet" the same thing as having a credit card linked to your PSN account in terms of this breach?

It's unclear to me if the addition of funds via the wallet approach means your card is stored on Sony's servers.

Hex

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
"I have been doing this for 4 years and I enjoy selling on e-bay. I’m a husband father and grandfather with a full-time job. "

A little bit too old to be jumping to conclusions, don't ya think Old Timer?

ROFL

MThanded said:
People are assuming other services are secure but the truth of the matter is look at how many security blunders Microsoft has had over the years. Just think about it. Just because XBL has not gone down recently due to security compromise does not mean there was no recent attack or leak of information.
Everything gets hacked or compromised. Look at the amount of security updates you get for stuff like Office, Windows, internet browsers, etc, etc.

It's a game between the companies trying to secure their networks/programs and the hackers trying to get in. Everything can be broken into with the right skills, it just sucks that this breach is on such a large scale.

Duke Togo

FINALBOSS said:
"I have been doing this for 4 years and I enjoy selling on e-bay. I’m a husband father and grandfather with a full-time job. "

I lol'd good. This thread is heating up!

Kagari said:
You still can't.

You could..... for a while.... in certain regions... then they took it away for everybody... and turned on auto renewal by default.... and made it so you have to phone them to turn off auto renewal.

A stupid policy from Microsoft.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ClosingADoor said:
Everything gets hacked or compromised. Look at the amount of security updates you get for stuff like Office, Windows, internet browsers, etc, etc.

It's a game between the companies trying to secure their networks/programs and the hackers trying to get in. Everything can be broken into with the right skills, it just sucks that this breach is on such a large scale.
Totally agree. This was a large scale attack. Even if you can't prevent attacks you should have safe guards in place to minimize the impact.

Is posting your own ps3 ebay listing in this thread actually OK. That is some shameless self promotion. Maybe he is just trolling and my troll meter failed.

Vestal

MThanded said:
People are assuming other services are secure but the truth of the matter is look at how many security blunders Microsoft has had over the years. Just think about it. Just because XBL has not gone down recently due to security compromise does not mean there was no recent attack or leak of information.

Difference is Microsoft has had 20+ years of experience dealing with hackers and malicious code, that they know how to handle situations like this and not allow them to get out of hand. Sony on the other hand, is not a Software company they have always been a hardware company. They didn't build the PS3 OS from scratch like MS did. They probably didn't build the network code in house from scratch either like MS did and did not have Experienced Software/Network/Security engineers that MS has.

faceless007 said:
That wasn't Steam, that was Valve's internal network.
I'm probably wrong then but I seem remember that along with the Half-Life 2 fiasco, a portion of Steam's security was also compromised. So yeah, it was Valve's internal network but I think (and again, I could be wrong since I can't find any links for that) Steam was also under attack back then. I've probably got it all mixed up with later attacks on the network, so apologies if that's the case.

jiggles

Banned
Re: Sony's "Incompetence"

Aren't all companies that store card data required by law to have extensive security audits done by a third party every few months? I see a lot of claims from armchair security auditors being thrown around about the schoolboy errors Sony are making, but they'd have had someone in recently that concluded they were doing everything as they should be, no?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FINALBOSS said:

PsychoJecht said:
You are selling all 6 of your ps3s?
Holy crap. Bwahahaha

Stoffinator

rosjos44 said:
this is why I pay 60 a year for good service!

If you are speaking of Live, don't fool yourself. It can happen to anyone. Just less likely this size with Live. Sony is still stuck in the stone age with online.

Speevy

Banned
IchigoSharingan said:
Why are geohot and these hackers being put on the same boat? One kept to his word, the other attacked both Sony and all of us PS3 owners in one fell swoop. Not even the most arduous arguments in the past few days can successfully link CFW to the server side hacking. There is no proof of concept presented, merely speculation like most of everything else in the thread.

And I'm not. I would be banned for linking CFW to stealing credit card information.

I merely said Geohot was a jackass, and those hackers went to work because of him.

But I do recall seeing some people who thought the Anon. group possibly going after PSN as a result of Geohot's legal troubles was some righteous act. That's what my comment referred to.

IchigoSharingan said:
If you're in the IT security profession, and you actually say "it's the hacker's fault, he's too good." you will not survive very long. It is your JOB to keep hackers out and minimize the impact. These kinds of fiascos are what you are fucking paid to prevent.

It is situational. It is never a techs job to think about "all" means of attack in existence, just the ones that are likely. There comes a point in time when your going to hit a wall, balancing the needs of two different and large bases. Also catering to different fixed hardwares, that are supposed to have closed FW. Giving the wording the problem is with the network itself after the intrusion. It is a good thing that they have shut it down despite the ire of some users and the pleasure of some haters.

People still don't get that the reason we haven't seen much like this in other cases is simply because they are not in the cross hairs.

-viper-

Banned
So is what is going to happen with Sony? Is the Playstation division going to go bust?

I've changed my debit card and email address details so I'm happy for now. I better receive a free game or something. Heck I'd even be happy with Free PSN+ for a year.

MThanded

The one smart thing Sony did do in this situation was immediate shutdown of the network. A lot of companies would not have the balls to do that and would have attempted to save face by keeping it up. I do commend them on that one.

Mael

Vestal said:
Difference is Microsoft has had 20+ years of experience dealing with hackers and malicious code, that they know how to handle situations like this and not allow them to get out of hand. Sony on the other hand, is not a Software company they have always been a hardware company. They didn't build the PS3 OS from scratch like MS did. They probably didn't build the network code in house from scratch either like MS did and did not have Experienced Software/Network/Security engineers that MS has.

And with 20+ years of experience they're still less reactive to bugs than freaking hobbyists.
Seriously if they can't even secure their most important income stream that's pretty telling on the security of their less important stuffs.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Should I have a fraud alert on me? My name is only on the account and I don't have a card of anysort. Used my parents card. ((had a fraud alert place)

Knoxcore

Front page on CNN now. This is too much negative publicity for Sony. No one is going to trust that their information is secure on the PS3.

lol at people blaming Sony for this. You guys are really a genuine class act. It's not like this EXACT SAME THING hasn't happened on other services before this. I seem to remember a similar incident with XBL and credit card info a few years ago. Of course everyone seemed to brush that under the rug. But go ahead and keep acting braindead, it's providing me with some hilarious evening entertainment xD

X-Frame

ClosingADoor said:
Or hired to prevent shit like this in the future ;)

This happens all the time right? At least in governments?

Hackers get arrested but then quickly given government jobs to prevent stuff like this happening?

Mael said:
And with 20+ years of experience they're still less reactive to bugs than freaking hobbyists.
Seriously if they can't even secure their most important income stream that's pretty telling on the security of their less important stuffs.
You can't just put out bug fixes very quickly if a billion PCs worldwide use your product. Testing takes time.

X-Frame said:
This happens all the time right? At least in governments?

Hackers get arrested but then quickly given government jobs to prevent stuff like this happening?
I think security firms and such do this sometimes. Don't really know any further details. Some time ago this CEO of a security firm was on tv here and talked about how they tried to hire these smart guys and more companies should do that, since they can just as easily go to the other side and do stuff like we see now with PSN.

haadim

What are these knee-jerk reactions blaming the victim of a crime before all the facts are known even if the victim is a Japanese corporation?

Some of the posts are wilfuly and disturbingly mean spirited at the very least.

Personally, feel sorry for SCE and hope things eventually sort out with no damages to consumers.

MThanded

Vestal said:
Building secure code from scratch is never a good idea. Adapting from existing standards and using them is always a better idea.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Mael said:
Seriously if they can't even secure their most important income stream
Actually, I'm pretty sure their license servers for corporate/enterprise software accounts are plenty secure.

UberTag

Some of the agendas in this thread are so transparent.

Everyone is entitled to blame or think whomever or whatever they want about what has taken place here. Especially those directly impacted.

Anyone in here who is saying this blame is misplaced or that no company is secure so don't stress or recounting some individual situation where they lost access to their Steam, Xbox LIVE account or credit card is simply looking to muddy the issue.

Over 77 million accounts were potentially compromised.
Sony took 6 days to inform their customer base.
Sony can't confirm credit card information was accessed because they're not the hackers. But the hackers had access to them. And a lot of other PII was compromised.

These are all facts.

We should all make our own minds up as to how we proceed with this information and our relationship with Sony and ANY conclusion that someone reaches is perfectly justified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom