• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
MThanded said:
The one smart thing Sony did do in this situation was immediate shutdown of the network. A lot of companies would not have the balls to do that and would have attempted to save face by keeping it up. I do commend them on that one.

Which could be much like a bank closing its vault after all the money has been looted. Guess we'll find out in the days to come.

Y2Kev said:
There's some upside. We can now identify everyone who bought Sonic Unleashed and ban them all.

Aren't they punished enough? They punched themselves in the dicks and you want to kick them in the balls?

-viper- said:
Forget Microsoft or Sony being hacked, this was simply fucking crazy:

The UK Government. Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. Stolen data discs!

25 million individuals affected (out of about 60 million people in the UK) including

7.25 million families
names of all Child Benefit recipients i.e. the parents
names of their Children
dates of birth
addresses
Child Benefit Numbers
National Insurance Numbers (NINOs)
Bank or Building Society account details

This was in 2007.

Epic fail.

Everyone has forgotten about the ordeal now, but the UK Government isn't a company so people can't 'boycott' it or so to speak. I feel the boycotts to Sony may be damaging to the company and to their reputation.

Thank you, now you give me a valid reason to trash the Royal Wedding.

Psi

Fireye said:
OpenSSL is a library providing SSL capabilities in a secure fashion. It's probably one of the most widely distributed libraries, and for good reason.
http://www.openssl.org/related/apps.html

Security through obscurity isn't really security at all. Using a proven, thoroughly tested and vetted piece of software, and BUILDING on that, is a tried and true method.

I was actually more referring to game design :p

haadim said:
What are these knee-jerk reactions blaming the victim of a crime before all the facts are known even if the victim is a Japanese corporation?

Some of the posts are wilfuly and disturbingly mean spirited at the very least.

Personally, feel sorry for SCE and hope things eventually sort out with no damages to consumers.

Hackers and cyber criminals are a reality. There are networks of zombie computers, configured by viruses or malware, to attack as guided. This is the reality of the internet, and anyone who works in IT security needs to maintain a constant awareness of exploits combined with persistent vigilance.

Sony were given the data of 70 million people, and as such had a moral and legal obligation to secure it (as many other companies successfully do). Their security (apparently partially reliant on an insane assumption that their client-side security was indestructable) combined with waiting many, many days to inform their customers of the potential risk, does not make them a victim, it makes them incompetent to a potentially-criminal degree.

Someone in this thread has already compared Sony to a rape victim, in probably the most insane post I've read in ages.

The only thing they are victim of is their own stupidity and arrogance. They should have had better security (ala Steam, XBLA), and more efficiently informed their customers as to exactly what had transpired.

shagg_187 said:
I'm surprised that no one has came forward an said that they were behind this. I thought hackers love that e-fame.

That's because these guys aren't hackers but information thieves. They steal this shit then sell it to various third parties.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.twitter.com/jimreilly

"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised."

"It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach

Mael

Y2Kev said:
There's some upside. We can now identify everyone who bought Sonic Unleashed and ban them all.

Damn and I thought nobody would know if I bought Sonic 06 dlc!
no I didn't, like REALLY

If anyone is interested in buy the ps3 on ebay, google ads to the rescue

imgad

plainr_

If I recall, CC information gets deleted when you change your PSN password. Last thing I purchased with my CC was last year. I remember changing my PSN password like 3 times this year so I think I'm good.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Wario64 said:

"There's a difference in timing between when we identified there was an intrusion and when we learned of consumers' data being compromised."

"It was necessary to conduct several days of forensic analysis and it took our experts until yesterday to understand the scope of the breach
I agree with that.

It is a sad day when the people defending Sony's actions resort to digging up 5 year old articles about a few Xbox Live accounts being stolen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Rebel Leader said:
Worth getting? Cause I got ff9 off of a whim and loved it. (never played ff9 in my life)

Never played it but I am collecting all the PS1 JRPGs from PSN because I never owned a PS1 :x

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Does anyone think that PS3-linked Steam account info may be at risk? Not hugely worried because of Steam Guard, but I'm just wondering if it's a possibility, since it sounds like they grabbed everything.

bangai-o said:
you guys are outrageous. If my female girlfriend sleeps with some other guy, Is that my fault too? blaming Sony is stupid
What??

EDIT:
Threads of Fate is a solid game. It's no Brave Fencer Musashi, though. ;)

Angry Fork

Y2Kev said:
But the music is amazing =(
I still haven't played Unleashed, but I still want to because I love the music so much. It's the one thing the Sonic guys haven't managed to fuck up yet.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
luxarific said:
Does anyone think that PS3-linked Steam account info may be at risk? Not hugely worried because of Steam Guard, but I'm just wondering if it's a possibility, since it sounds like they grabbed everything.

Valve said no.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wario64 said:

Well, there goes the 'Sony knew for 6 days' argument. They knew for a day.

Arpharmd B said:
Sony's security is inadequate and they took a week to inform consumers about the danger their cc info was in.

I've seen this said a couple of times....how do we know this?

RyanDG said:
9 times out of 10, it is your fault.

:lol

DMeisterJ said:
Well, there goes the 'Sony knew for 6 days' argument. They knew for a day.

Glad they said this, they said they hired a security firm in to investigate, makes sense that they didn't know on day 1.

FirstInHell said:
It is a sad day when the people defending Sony's actions resort to digging up 5 year old articles about a few Xbox Live accounts being stolen.
You must have missed the links to government data getting stolen multiple times a year.

rSpooky

FirstInHell said:
hey someone asked for a source and he got it..

Wario64 said:

This is actually reasonable. Too bad the pea-brains will not understand this.

Gritesh

Wario64 said:

This is what people have been saying, it would have been a catastrophe if they came out day one and said:
"Omg all your data is stolen"
Then 6 days later they came back to say:
"Nope sorry we were wrong its all ok."

Wario64 said:

Yup, seems about right. I never got the notion that they waited to tell people I'm sure they told people when they themselves found out.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FirstInHell said:
Mama asked, so there's the link. Anyone comparing some schemers getting a few XBL accounts vs the 70 million hacked at once is batshit insane.

Aeana

bangai-o said:
you guys are outrageous. If my female girlfriend sleeps with some other guy, Is that my fault too? blaming Sony is stupid
That's a really poor analogy.

Sony's responsibility is to keep the data secure. And in the event of a breach, it is Sony's responsibility to inform those affected as quickly as possible. The hackers might have done something really stupid, but that does not absolve Sony of responsibility.

sflufan

Banned
Wario64 said:

Then you provide people with at least a warning that there was a possibility that their data may have been compromised so that they can take appropriation action.

You don't bloody well wait 6 freakin' days to do that!

jercruz

i wonder if those raging and finally calling it quits well, really mean it. or maybe a month or two after this has settled all this raging will be forgotten? but i agree, regardless it makes for some very interesting and fun reads :D

note that i have a phat ps3 that died, got replaced by sony, died, and now got what seems like a stable replacement. i havent used it since besides the occasion turning it on and loading a game to see if its still working. its been a long time since i deleted my billing info (december last year), but i am a bit concerned whether sony actually did deleted it on their end...

also what a nice way to announce the PS4! "Bigger! Badder! More secure!" :D

notworksafe

FirstInHell said:
It's a sad day when a grandfather has to sell all 6 of his PS3s and his jeans just to get by, am I right?

Psi

bangai-o said:

It is if you were cheating on her with your male girlfriend.

FirstInHell said:
There are sadder things in this thread that are far more obvious....

IchigoSharingan said:
if you just stood there as he wailed on her with his pink meat hammer, yeah.
You think that's what happened? Sony saw the hackers going into their servers and did nothing?

lol...

FirstInHell said:
What exactly were Sony actions?

Duke Togo

FirstInHell said:
Shouldn't you be tending to your ps3 ebay listings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom