• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
DevilWillcry said:
I seem to remember a similar incident with XBL and credit card info a few years ago.

You're the second person to say this in the thread, and also the second person not to cite a source.

Please link to the story in which XBL was comparably hacked.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Knoxcore said:
Front page on CNN now. This is too much negative publicity for Sony. No one is going to trust that their information is secure on the PS3.
pretty sure people still buy from monoprice.. and still bank with chase/wamu.. and still shop at TJ Maxx...

I mean do you people REALLY believe this, or is it just good old fashioned shit stirring for fun?? I can understand the latter I guess..

Vandiger

Already have countermeasures in place. (2-step verification, accessible credit reports). Yeah, when BOA sent a letter about how my debit card may be compromised and I got a replacement(thank god, PSN account only has the old one stored). I'm thinking of just using virtual cards and point cards for online purchases.

DevilWillcry said:
lol at people blaming Sony for this. You guys are really a genuine class act. It's not like this EXACT SAME THING hasn't happened on other services before this. I seem to remember a similar incident with XBL and credit card info a few years ago.

Stop man, just stop, my personal info is on their system and was compromised most likely, who are people supposed to be upset at?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Squire Felix said:
PSN is free, they owe you nothing.
NOTHING!
bFcis.gif

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
LyR said:
as if it isn't bad enough to create an -awful to develop games on- system ...

wow Sony
trolls out in full force

dreamer3kx said:
Stop man, just stop, my personal info is on their system and was compromised most likely, who are people supposed to be upset at?
The fools who stole it got damn. Its not like it was just sitting in an ftp somewhere. Somebody intentionally penetrated the network and stole your damn data.

KaYotiX

Banned
FINALBOSS said:
"I have been doing this for 4 years and I enjoy selling on e-bay. I’m a husband father and grandfather with a full-time job. "

A little bit too old to be jumping to conclusions, don't ya think Old Timer?
kinda what i was thinking too

Psi

MThanded said:
Building secure code from scratch is never a good idea. Adapting from existing standards and using them is always a better idea.

That sounds like the mantra of the video game industry.

Hex

Banned
-viper- said:
So is what is going to happen with Sony? Is the Playstation division going to go bust?

This thread is like the fountain of ever flowing idiocy now, it just keeps flowing forth.

They will fix it and they will go onward just like every other company who has had a security breach.

X-Frame

Wouldn't the service that just got hacked be very safe after the attack?

Now they hopefully know how to prevent it, and will go the extra mile to recent anything like this happening again.

PSN will be Fort Knox come next week!

Mael

ClosingADoor said:
You can't just put out bug fixes very quickly if a billion PCs worldwide use your product. Testing takes time.

It's not the 80's anymore, they've hired some of the most competent software engineer in the world and they sure as hell know how to automate most of what 's needed.
They probably have enough money to make a proof for their whole system.
Considering all that it's actually unacceptable that people on their free time manage to outdo them.

XiaNaphryz said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure their license servers for corporate/enterprise software accounts are pretty secure.
Considering the number of backdoors they had to put in the system to make sure...

notworksafe said:
Hm. Those are some nice jeans. Too short though.

I'm more interested in the psp myself...if I didn't have one.

Can't we just blame the Hackers AND Sony? Its easier that way.

And hell, even if Sony had the very bestest security in the world I'd still blame them and be just as upset at allowing an intrusion on this scale to happen, along with taking six days to get a real word out. Even if they did everything right they need to accept full responsibility, fall on their sword, fix the problems, improve their systems, and then take pains to convince us why we should trust their security moving forward.

As for the intruders? Cut off their balls.

That's the long and short of it.

GeoramA

borghe said:
pretty sure people still buy from monoprice.. and still bank with chase/wamu.. and still shop at TJ Maxx...

I mean do you people REALLY believe this, or is it just good old fashioned shit stirring for fun?? I can understand the latter I guess..
The people with agendas are keeping this thread entertaining as shit.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
X-Frame said:
Wouldn't the service that just got hacked be very safe after the attack?

Now they hopefully know how to prevent it, and will go the extra mile to recent anything like this happening again.

PSN will be Fort Knox come next week!

Great! Just what we need. Gold inside.

MThanded said:
trolls out in full force

The fools who stole it got damn. Its not like it was just sitting in an ftp somewhere. Somebody intentionally penetrated the network and stole your damn data.

I dont care one shit about a hacker, yea f*** them but again my info was on Sonys machine.

Fireye

Psi said:
That sounds like the mantra of the video game industry.

OpenSSL is a library providing SSL capabilities in a secure fashion. It's probably one of the most widely distributed libraries, and for good reason.
http://www.openssl.org/related/apps.html

Security through obscurity isn't really security at all. Using a proven, thoroughly tested and vetted piece of software, and BUILDING on that, is a tried and true method.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
There's some upside. We can now identify everyone who bought Sonic Unleashed and ban them all.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Metalmurphy said:
People with PSN+, can you still play your subscribed games?
Pretty sure yes. PS+ games have expiration dates on them that is automatically set to the date of your expiration. The only problem you might have (I think) is if your subscription expires during all of this, you'll lose access until the PS+ auth servers come back online.

-viper-

Banned
Forget Microsoft or Sony being hacked, this was simply fucking crazy:

The UK Government. Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs. Stolen data discs!

25 million individuals affected (out of about 60 million people in the UK) including

7.25 million families
names of all Child Benefit recipients i.e. the parents
names of their Children
dates of birth
addresses
Child Benefit Numbers
National Insurance Numbers (NINOs)
Bank or Building Society account details

This was in 2007.

Epic fail.

Everyone has forgotten about the ordeal now, but the UK Government isn't a company so people can't 'boycott' it or so to speak. I feel the boycotts to Sony may be damaging to the company and to their reputation.

ShortBus

Hex said:
This thread is like the fountain of ever flowing idiocy now, it just keeps flowing forth.

They will fix it and they will go onward just like every other company who has had a security breach.

Let it flow...

wonderfuldays said:
Man this is unbelievable. Why Sony didn't warning everyone in the first few hours/days but a week?

They probably weren't sure of the extent of the damage initially. You don't want to give a false positive, because if it turns out to not be the case, then you just get a PR mess when it wasn't needed. Now, I still think they took too long in notifying us what was possible, but I understand what they were going for...just not sure it was the right move. I think they should have given us a better basis of what the issue was, rather than a vague "external intrusion."

oc

peanutbutterchocolate
Rebel Leader said:
I got to ask.. What is that?

The game or... the reason behind his link?

"Online Game Code" sold on Amazon for PSN.

But it says:

Important Note
Sony is experiencing major outages with the PlayStation Network service. PlayStation Network purchases may not be redeemable until the issue is resolved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom