• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Fork

I"ve used a debit card before to get stuff off PSN. How the hell am I going to get rid of/change that? Jesus this sucks what the hell, and you can't even change/remove the info without signing into PSN but I suppose that doesn't matter anymore if they already have it.

Even if you cancel your credit card after this, this leaves everyone affected FAR more susceptible to phishing scams. Fuck this.

Lain

Reading the update, this sucks. I'm annoyed at both the hackers and Sony.
How the hell did they have it set up that all this much info was stolen?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
DMeisterJ said:
Mother Fuck.

*insert the Wire 'fuck' investigation scene clip*

NyvuY.gif

ambalek

Drkirby said:
They should be, but if they use a common password encryption, people could simply run it though some software to get a valid password that returns the same hash value.

And don't forget about just comparing the hash values to a database of common passwords.

They should be using salt or ideally something like bcrypt, if they don't know that they have no business providing a service like this.

Hanmik said:

Holy crap:

We believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state/province, zip or postal code), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password, login, password security answers, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data may have been obtained, including purchase history and billing address (city, state/province, zip or postal code). If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, it is possible that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may also have been obtained.

Going to cancel all my cards now. And fuck if I EVER give Sony any of my info ever again. Ever. If I ever buy anything on PSN again, which is a big if, it will be through pre-paid cards only.

Kccitystar

I removed my CC info at the right time (when Anon started doing their Sony thing) and my password wasn't a common one across all my accounts, so I hope I'm okay. I also hope my PSN games are safely listed on my account among other things, otherwise....shit WILL hit the fan

vyhsE.gif

With that said, I'm gonna stockpile the popcorn for E3. HO-LEE SHIT.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
GIF needs updating.

"It only does single-player"
"It only does identity theft"
"It only does credit-card fraud"

Seriously, ugh.

RPGCrazied

Please find these fuckers, and send them to jail for a very long time?

And I'll take Chrono Trigger PS1 classic.

Thanks!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
FunkyPajamas said:
Yeah, that's what bothers me the most. I had some very private shit in there.
They have your dogs name and theres not a damn thing you can do about it. Muhahaha!

KJTB

bob page said:
Just talked to my brother. Someone tried charging his CC for a plane trip to Norway last Friday and he didn't know why. His account was linked to PSN.

Hmm...

Shit just got real.

This isn't the worst thing in the world. I mean shit how many times a day do people hand their physical CC off to some waiter in a restaurant who disappears for 5-10 mins. I've changed my CC more than a few times and it's not much hassle. Really a big black eye for Sony though.

Ferrio

Banned
Beam said:
Fuck you. They could steal our fucking identity, and you are fucking laughing. I will say this again fuck you.

I find it humorous too. It's sad and shitty, but you gotta laugh at rampant incompetence on this scale.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Ok great time to get a new password for everything. Dammit. =P

And... Who's ready for the class suit? I mean.. one week. They took one fucking week with something as serious as this. I will definitely be in that one.

Fuck you Sony and your goddamned incompetence. There is no Sony fan and no person walking on earth that can defend the shitfest that has happened thanks to them in huge part.

btkadams

i'm not worried about my password that much because nothing important uses it. all of my other websites use far better ones.

i just think it's really fucking weak that EVERYTHING is potentially out there. address, email, everything. identity theft? fuck.

i'd cancel my cc but i go out of the country in 4 days and will need one for it. what a joke.

they haven't lost me as a customer, but i'm seriously pissed and don't know if i trust them with my information for the time being.

Persona7

Banned
So are we going to finally be able to change the secret question associated to our PSN accounts?

I find it fucking stupid that you couldn't change it whatsoever once you make your account.

Diablos

Not only is the way they're handling the explanation ridiculous, but the fact that it took them so long to tell me that someone is potentially sitting on all of my personal info shared with PSN is pretty unsettling.

Between this and their Orwellian way of going after people who had little or nothing to do with PS3 exploits, I'm really starting to lose respect for this company. Depending on the severity of the PSN hack, this could really end Sony. People afraid to use the console, lawsuits galore, that type of thing.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I've done some data breach work at my firm. You guys have no idea what goes on behind the scenes when something like this happens. Everyone goes batshit insane. The costs are going to be ridiculous for them.

Evlar

Banned
mikespit1200 said:
This isn't the worst thing in the world. I mean shit how many times a day do people hand their physical CC off to some waiter in a restaurant who disappears for 5-10 mins. I've changed my CC more than a few times and it's not much hassle. Really a big black eye for Sony though.
Unless you're handing the waiter your address, email, and security questions it's not quite the same.

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility. If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained.

I knew it!! FUCK YOU SONY AND YOUR FUCKING INCOMPETENT PSN FAIL NETWORK!! Damn this is really HUGE. OMG. :(

bigace33

This is the risk you take using your personal credit card for any service. Not just Sony. I've started gravitating to using those pre paid visa cards for all of my transactions.

Grinchy

Banned
This is going to be a weird conversation at the bank tomorrow.

I guarantee the person I talk to has no idea what Playstation is.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Thank God it's my credit card and not my debit card attached.

Just a reminder for everyone:

In the event that your credit card is stolen in the United States, federal law limits the liability of card holders to $50 regardless of the amount charged on the card by the unauthorized user. In today's world of electronic fraud, if just the credit card account number itself is stolen, federal law guarantees that the card holder has a zero liability to the issuer.

Just keep an eye on your credit card account for any unusual charges. Most credit cards allow online access to updated statements, including real-time purchase updates.

This sucks!

Other than CC info, what are some dangers of having our other personal info stolen, like address, zip, country, etc.?

With CC# and password/log-in, we could always change it, but I'm worried about that other stuff too.

LastPass is a great add-on that gives you randomly generated strong passwords for every site and saves them if anyone is starting to change all their passwords.

TheExodu5 said:
This is really tempting me to CFW hack my PS3 now...the only thing still tying me to PSN is the promise of playing Dark Souls online.

Thankfully there is an Xbox 360 version coming, that's the route i'm taking.

Well, it must be difficult to find what was taken if it required a security firm that only came up with could have and went off it.

Its good to finally know the result, but still wanting to know how security was breached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom