• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

Megadragon15 said:
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53738.html

Someone is outraged by this security breach.
As they should. Hackers could be laughing all the way to the bank and committing identity theft with our information and Sony barely uttered a word for a WEEK. Unacceptable. Completely unprofessional. Downright scary and irresponsible that they would not inform us sooner. And here I thought they were just rebuilding the network and analyzing a select few intrusions... this sounds like a hack of epic proportions, the kind that can basically end a company/brand as you know it.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Quite a few people must be eating crow right about now. Id go back and hunt for quotes but Im not that petty. Oh wait yes i am, Im just lazy.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Canceling your credit cards isn't a great idea, as it negatively impacts your credit score. Just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
bob page said:
To anyone trying to undermine the significance of this event: go study business, PR, economics, etc, etc.

The cost to Sony on this one will be gigantic. Not to mention the huge hit to their brand reputation/loyalty.
The idiocy of comments like " most people post this on your facebook page" and "just change you CC number"... A lot of peoples identities are going to get stolen over this.

Interfectum

kinoki said:
I for one trust that from now on PSN will be the safest most secure online service on the market.

It's very flawed logic to assume they'll be more secure after this. Most places that hold on to CC info are already very secure to begin with.

Takao said:
Well those hackers no longer have any shred of public support, though I'm sure if they're caught they'll command their troops to preach that they were just showing the holes in Sony's security.

Major fuck up on Sony's part, but they didn't do bad all by themselves.
At least two lawsuits are going to end up coming out of this: one against the "hackers" who did the breach, and a class action one against Sony for providing a slipshod service.

There's shared blame to go around.

TommyT

I'm going to check my PS3 tonight to see if I've actually bought anything... I don't think I have, and I got it so long ago that hopefully it was on an older card :O. Is there any way to see what our information is without connecting to PSN (is it stored on the PS3 somewhere)?

Sullichin

Yeah I'm kind of surprised that I found out on this through the Playstation twitter account (and GAF immediately after), instead of sony emailing us.. a few days ago :p
Would hate to be anyone working at sony doing damage control right now.

Snuggler said:
at least I don't have to worry about identity theft since no one would want to be me

XDu2M.jpg

Angry Fork

Diablos said:
Call your bank as soon as possible, explain to them what happened, and tell them you want a new debit card mailed to you. Most banks take 3-4 days to send it. Then just go back into PSN whenever it's back online and delete your card info (not that it would work at that point anyway). That's what I'm doing first thing tomorrow.
Thanks i'm going to do this. Do they charge you anything?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
chubigans said:
Canceling your credit cards isn't a great idea, as it negatively impacts your credit score. Just keep an eye on it for a few weeks.

THIS.

And, again:

In the event that your credit card is stolen in the United States, federal law limits the liability of card holders to $50 regardless of the amount charged on the card by the unauthorized user. In today's world of electronic fraud, if just the credit card account number itself is stolen, federal law guarantees that the card holder has a zero liability to the issuer.

WaltJay

SailorDaravon said:
Serious question: the CC we have on file on PSN has since expired due to expiration date. We recently (like 2 weeks ago) got the new card which has the same card # but a different expiration date. Do I need to realistically actually get a new credit card with a completely different number?

I would request a new CC#. If I have your CC#, how long would it take to guess the expiration date? Hell, you wouldn't even need any kind of program for that; just go through the month/year options one at a time, month by month until you get it.

Vinci

Danish
Grayman said:
This thread has deservedly exploded while I read the first page.

So how many countries is Sony liable for identity theft insurance in?

I need to go look up my Canadian rights in this situation. Sony has not even emailed me something like the OP yet.

They should have sent an email. Without question. What the fuck are they doing? Not everyone reads the blog or GAF.

creid

First of all: ughhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Second: I'm glad I had my password stolen from Gawker, because it caused me to change my PSN password to a unique one, so at least I don't have to worry about that.

Third: I'm going on vacation next week, out of the country, and I am/was supposed to call my bank and tell them that so that they don't shut me down when I try to use my card outside of the US. This seems like a baaaaad idea when my card # might be out there in the wild. Anyone have any experience with this? If I tell them which country I'm visiting, will they still be suspicious of charges from other countries?

Fourth: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

dream

MThanded said:
The idiocy of comments like " most people post this on your facebook page" and "just change you CC number"... A lot of peoples identities are going to get stolen over this.

The implication that Sony should get a pass on this because, "hey, they're Sony and lol RROD!" is probably the worst thing I've seen on here in a long time.

75 million accounts compromised. There aren't enough Uncharteds to make up for that.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
MThanded said:
This is the worst BS justification ever. Also that stuff is not on my facebook page and i only friend people I am friends with in real life. Stop posting this.
No, we need more red herrings!

i'm kinda glad a good amount of the info on my account is fake now, also my decision to only use prepaid cards ever since the beginning of this gen paid off.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
My credit card is maxed. You ain't gettin far with that suckas!! Mwuahaha!!

Irresponsible Debt - 1
Scumbags - 0

Ichabod said:
Been following this story on several forums and now that this bombshell has dropped, my God...The PR nightmare that will ensue will surely rival famous battles which took, actually took place in ancient Japan.
I laughed.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
chubigans said:

You should be able to just ring up customer services and can ask for a new card to be issued, it shouldn't really effect your credit rating.

iNvid02

Guardian Bob said:
FYI your credit card company will reverse any malicious charges on your card.

obviously, you can even cancel your card but name, email, address, phone number etc could be a huge pain in the ass

Majine said:
Yes. Atleast on that service you agree to get frauded.
Hey now, knowing who is fucking you is waaaay better than random strangers who will take and not have the decency to give you something to play or watch in return.

Diablos

chubigans said:
Changing your debit card number, on the other hand, won't do anything negative against you.

Also, very silly that in this day and age banks cannot make note of a customer requesting a new card # because of ID theft concern. Fucking hell.

ElRenoRaven

WOW. I'm literally speechless. It took them a goddamn week to let anyone know that our fucking information was stolen. Seriously? A GODDAMN WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

I'm beyond fucking pissed right now. That level of incompetence deserves some fucking asses put on the unemployment lines.

Bread

Banned
Go fuck yourself Sony, if I lose any money because of this shit I'm going to be extremely pissed off. How does a company fuck up so bad? I guess I'm going to have to get a new debit card.

Paches

MThanded said:
This is the worst BS justification ever. Also that stuff is not on my facebook page and i only friend people I am friends with in real life. Stop posting this.

Until Zuckerberg decides to sell it to the highest bidder.

Einbroch

Banned
From a business standpoint, this is enormous. Holy crap. Millions up front, PR taking a huge hit, potential hundreds of millions in lost future sales...

From a consumer standpoint, this is infuriating. Sony has been making one bad decision after another this generation, I just don't know how I can defend them much longer.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
iNvidious01 said:
obviously, you can even cancel your card but name, email, address, phone number etc could be a huge pain in the ass

Information that is freely available on the internet is a "Huge pain in the ass?" Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom