• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

If they have passwords and PSN IDs, how will any PSN ID be saved? Would they have to start over? What about all of our purchases?

LugNut74

I am pretty pissed off. What kind of security were they using on psn? Jesus. I did not sign up for this. I guess they were hacked but this ultimately goes back on sony's shoulders.

Oh for fucks sake... I changed all my 100+ passwords a few months ago cause of the Gawker fiasco, it was a pain in the ass, and now I'm gonna have to do it again? ARGH.

Alot more serious then I thought it was gonna be.

Thank god I use virtual VISA cards for all my online purchases.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This sucks!

Other than CC info, what are some dangers of having our other personal info stolen, like address, zip, country, etc.?

With CC# and password/log-in, we could always change it, but I'm worried about that other stuff too.

This stuff can usually be found online for free so that's not a huge issue on its own.

Majine said:
Yes. Atleast on that service you agree to get frauded.

Better than not agreeing ;)

I only had a PSN account for my PSP a long time ago but never actually used it for anything, and the password I had for it I used for other websites. Luckily I don't use that password anymore and have changed it for the sites I used. Though I am getting a PS3 in about 2 weeks here, but now I'm a little concerned as to what I want to do about PSN and so on once I get it.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0411/53738.html

Senator: Sony playing games with PlayStation outage

By TONY ROMM | 4/26/11 2:48 PM EDT

A breach that’s kept Sony’s PlayStation Network offline for six days hasn’t just angered about 75 million online gamers — it’s peeved Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) too.

The senator fired off a letter to Sony on Tuesday to note he is “troubled by the failure” of the company to “immediately notify affected customers of the breach and to extend adequate financial data security protections.”

Sony’s PlayStation Network was shut down last Wednesday, and the company initially noted the service would return in “a day or two.” In the days to follow, however, Sony has only admitted its online gaming network did experience a significant “external intrusion.” The company has yet to detail how the breach occurred and whether consumers’ personal data has been affected.

The lack of answers hasn’t pleased Blumenthal. The former Connecticut attorney general noted in his letter that a breach of such magnitude “immediately raises concerns of data privacy, identity theft and other misuse of sensitive personal and financial data, such as names, email addresses and credit and debit card information.”

“I am concerned that PlayStation Network users’ personal and financial information may have been inappropriately accessed by a third party. Compounding this concern is the troubling lack of notification from Sony about the nature of the data breach,” the senator wrote to Jack Tretton, president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America.

“Although the breach occurred nearly a week ago, Sony has not notified customers of the intrusion, or provided information that is vital to allowing individuals to protect themselves from identity theft, such as informing users whether their personal or financial information may have been compromised. Nor has Sony specified how it intends to protect these consumers,” Blumenthal continued.

The breach that’s sidelined the PlayStation Network is only the latest in a series of high-profile hacker attacks and leaks directed at top Web services. It comes on the heels of the Epsilon data breach, which generated headlines around the nation because it exposed the names and email addresses of millions of customers who do business with Target, Walgreens, Best Buy and other retail giants.

Blumenthal has called on Epsilon, too, to offer a more public explanation of the breach.

This article first appeared on POLITICO Pro at 2:08 p.m. on April 26, 2011.
Someone is outraged by this security breach.

MrDaravon

Serious question: the CC we have on file on PSN has since expired due to expiration date. We recently (like 2 weeks ago) got the new card which has the same card # but a different expiration date. Do I need to realistically actually get a new credit card with a completely different number? We have multiple things tied to it which were already a pain in the ass to change once, I really don't want to do it again.

That aside, fuck Sony. Fuck them up the ass. And I bought Portal 2 on PS3 specifically to give them props for allowing Steam integration, the first time I've bought a multi-platform on the PS3 over the 360 ever. That shit is going right back. This is catastrophic for them, and I can't wait for E3 now, there's absolutely no way to spin this.

notworksafe

Gamecocks625 said:
What if I don't have a credit card currently tied into my PSN account? Does that matter?
Then no one has your CC info. The address/phone/etc is still out there if your info was jacked though.

Barrett2

commish said:
I've done some data breach work at my firm. You guys have no idea what goes on behind the scenes when something like this happens. Everyone goes batshit insane. The costs are going to be ridiculous for them.

Serious question; do you think Sony actually has enough insurance to cover this? I can only imagine the penalties are higher in the EU than in the US.

I mean, are we talking hundreds of millions of dollars? This is catastrophically bad for Sony, right?

dream

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This sucks!

Other than CC info, what are some dangers of having our other personal info stolen, like address, zip, country, etc.?

With CC# and password/log-in, we could always change it, but I'm worried about that other stuff too.

Whoever jacked the data from PSN has everything they need to open credit cards and lines of credit in your name.

Takao

Banned
Man said:
Q.15 Seems like SOE service was also not available/ suffering outage. Is this true? Is this due to the same reason as the PSN/Qriocity outage?

SOE's service is available although a service interruption due to an external attack did occur. A thorough investigation is ongoing.

Well those hackers no longer have any shred of public support, though I'm sure if they're caught they'll command their troops to preach that they were just showing the holes in Sony's security.

Major fuck up on Sony's part, but they didn't do bad all by themselves.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
LugNut74 said:
I am pretty pissed off. What kind of security were they using on psn? Jesus. I did not sign up for this. I guess they were hacked but this ultimately goes back on sony's shoulders.
Sounds like it was of the same quality as the security on the PS3.

BeeDog

I couldn't care less about how much this will cost Sony or how batshit insane the engineers are going. All I want to know is...

Is my PSN account/download history safe? Can't they fucking answer shit like this too?

Evlar

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
This sucks!

They could potentially apply for new lines of credit. If the lender is doing his job they shouldn't get far, but still...

They could also work to compromise other accounts, particularly if they have access to your email.

MechaX

Yikes. So does any one know if they could have still gotten your credit card information even if you delete the billing information after every use?

If so, this is some major-league-fuck-up-caliber failure on Sony's part.

alphaNoid

Banned
I called it in the other thread, warned that for a system to have been down this long it was catastrophic. Thankfully I did not have a CC attached to my PSN account, and I have since change the PWs to linked accounts.

This is going to cost Sony millions now, millions later and tarnish the Playstation brand name.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Being a security researcher myself this seems like an unprecedented attack. This is big.

Diablos

Angry Fork said:
I"ve used a debit card before to get stuff off PSN. How the hell am I going to get rid of/change that? Jesus this sucks what the hell, and you can't even change/remove the info without signing into PSN but I suppose that doesn't matter anymore if they already have it.
Call your bank as soon as possible, explain to them what happened, and tell them you want a new debit card mailed to you. Most banks take 3-4 days to send it. Then just go back into PSN whenever it's back online and delete your card info (not that it would work at that point anyway). That's what I'm doing first thing tomorrow.

Shit. What a pain in the ass. The second they felt the need to take down PSN, they should have alerted their customers that there personal information was potentially stolen. Also fuck the Sony defenders in this thread. Disgusting.

RdN

Holy fuck! I'm literally afraid right now. All my info and credit card may be in hands of hacks.. That's fucked up.

Ichabod

Banned
Been following this story on several forums and now that this bombshell has dropped, my God...The PR nightmare that will ensue will surely rival famous battles which took, actually took place in ancient Japan.

dorkimoe

its sad how many people are still more worried that its down than their personal information..however

RdN said:
Holy fuck! I'm literally afraid right now. All my info and credit card may be in hands of hacks.. That's fucked up.

If you have a good credit card company, you shouldnt have to worry to much. Someone stole my cc numbers once and visa called me right away because the moron tried to spend $5,000 on nflshop.com . They got declined, i got a new card. Took a day.

StuBurns

Banned
JABEE said:
If they have passwords and PSN IDs, how will any PSN ID be saved? Would they have to start over? What about all of our purchases?
If someone has your account info it's only useful as long as you don't change the password (PSN is down for them too). If you don't change yours first, call Sony, they must be able to restore it to you.

daffy

Banned
bigace33 said:
This is the risk you take using your personal credit card for any service. Not just Sony. I've started gravitating to using those pre paid visa cards for all of my transactions.
/thread

Sony should've told us earlier though, they knew what was up

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I for one trust that from now on PSN will be the safest most secure online service on the market. It has to be because anything less is unacceptable so I'll continue using it just like I did a week ago.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Guardian Bob said:
Most people put that stuff on their facebook page :/
This is the worst BS justification ever. Also that stuff is not on my facebook page and i only friend people I am friends with in real life. Stop posting this.

test_account

XP-39C²
BackwardsSuggestions said:
Dont think that is the case. According to the Playstation.com FAQ it say this:

Q.16 I want my money back (subscription fee, content) since the PSN/Qriocity was not available.

When the full services are restored and the length of the outage is known, we will assess the correct course of action.

Maybe we wont get anything extra, but i'm pretty sure that the subscriptions will be extended to compensate for the downtime at least.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Fuck your shitty security, Sony. Fuck it right in the eye. I damn fucking well hope your shitfuck cocksnot useless security doesn't mean I have to cancel my CC, you shitsnorting dicktarts. Fuck you all.

bob page

To anyone trying to undermine the significance of this event: go study business, PR, economics, etc, etc.

The cost to Sony on this one will be gigantic. Not to mention the huge hit to their brand reputation/loyalty.

chubigans said:
They have your dogs name and theres not a damn thing you can do about it. Muhahaha!
NOOOO!!! :p
wCCch.jpg

Guys, leave Sony alone!!

Neuromancer said:
It was password1.
OMG U R ONE OF TEH H4XX0RX

Metalmurphy said:
Oh for fucks sake... I changed all my 100+ passwords a few months ago cause of the Gawker fiasco, it was a pain in the ass, and now I'm gonna have to do it again? ARGH.

Alot more serious then I thought it was gonna be.

Thank god I use virtual VISA cards for all my online purchases.

You made it through the Gawker fiasco and still didn't learn to use unique passwords for different sites and services that matter to you?

Grayman

This thread has deservedly exploded while I read the first page.

So how many countries is Sony liable for identity theft insurance in?

I need to go look up my Canadian rights in this situation. Sony has not even emailed me something like the OP yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom