• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, for me i think people are overreacting a little bit, yes you should worry about your personal data but with the CC info, people should wait at least that one confirmed case has been put out.

Replicant

arnoldocastillo2003 said:
* Personal information: Name, Last Name, Address, Email, zip code, country.
* Passwords of the users of PSN: he didn´t confirm this even though i ask him a lot.
* Credit Cards Numbers: He confirm that the numbers were not compromised because the numbers are stored/protected/encrypted in a different way that the personal data (that is what he told me, he and I don´t know shit about computer programming so sorry for not giving specified details here).
* Users Log History was retrieve (don´t know what that is).

That is all he gave me, well summarized at least.

You know, if it's just credit card, I'm not too concerned since CC can always be canceled. But the fact that my personal information leaked out for the whole world to find out is not okay. FFS Sony.

Zoe said:
You forgot the part a couple of lines above that:

Only an issue with CFW.

Nah just install fiddler2 on someone's computer who uses Media GO. Not only can you steal their psn info but you'll also be able to steal their passwords to every other site.

Wizeguy21 said:
hackers chat logs??? how can this be? FAke?
Pretty sure I've seen that CC# talk before, but elsewhere - it was unsubstantiated. Sounds like they're fabricating a chatlog with that bit in it for hits, due to all the FUD going around.

EDIT: Right, well that solves that then.

Zoe

mugurumakensei said:
Nah just install fiddler2 on someone's computer who uses Media GO. Not only can you steal their psn info but you'll also be able to steal their passwords to every other site.

That really has nothing to do with anything here.

Revolutionary said:
Pretty sure I've seen that CC# talk before, but elsewhere - it was unsubstantiated. Sounds like they're fabricating a chatlog with that bit in it for hits, due to all the FUD going around.

As said above, that chat has been around since February.

Zoe said:
That really has nothing to do with anything here.

As said above, that chat has been around since February.

Yea, it's clearly fake. I'm aware. You'd think these so called hacker logs would show more knowledge of what tools you can use to exploit. Instead, they show just the opposite. Just kids trying to act cool when they actually know very little.

Chris_C

To everyone thinking not getting en email is a good thing. Sending emails to a database of ~70 million can take a while depending on how the emails are being sent.

You will get yours eventually.

Trevelyon

Dead Man said:
You keep saying they would have been crucified if they gave too much information too early. Has any company ever really suffered a backlash for telling people what happened, rather than the actual event itself? I can't think of one.

I think constantly adjusting and revising your estimates of the damage done day by day and giving less then accurate and not entirely whole information of what was exactly breached as you progress, would've been equally or potentially more damaging.

They finally present a unified front, with the exact extent of what was breached and all the information that end consumer needed to know, and it's commendable that they did their due diligence and the whole thing is out on the table now, hopefully with nothing of significance withheld.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Chris_C said:
To everyone thinking not getting en email is a good thing. Sending emails to a database of ~70 million can take a while depending on how the emails are being sent.

Shit, I feel bad for the guy that has to type all of them up.

Replicant said:
You know, if it's just credit card, I'm not too concerned since CC can always be canceled. But the fact that my personal information leaked out for the whole world to find out is not okay. FFS Sony.

This is the thing that makes me mad, I tried to use prepaid cards if such things happened but I never thought that my personal info wasn't protected.

Yeah I'm against hackers and a company with the size of Sony should expect such attacks since any large company will be always be a target for hackers.

APOCALYPS3 RE:CODED- The PSN Investigation 012

One thing that I've been kind of confused about actually is what I can do about debit card information. Should I just watch my bank account for the next couple of days? Should I even be worried? Sorry, I don't really know much about this sort of stuff.

Dead Man

Trevelyon said:
I think constantly adjusting and revising your estimates of the damage done day by day and giving less then accurate and not entirely whole information of what was exactly breached as you progress, would've been equally or potentially more damaging.

They finally present a unified front, with the exact extent of what was breached and all the information that end consumer needed to know, and it's commendable that they did their due diligence and the whole thing is out on the table now, hopefully with nothing of significance withheld.
Okay, so no example, and claiming they have done something they have not. Cool.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ZeroRay said:
This will probably be a trilogy for Sony.

The third ApocalyPS3 will somehow start a world war.

It will be when our PS3's spontaneously combust and explode everything within a 5 mile radius.

GillianSeed79 said:
You are having sex with your girlfriend of more than a few years and wearing a condom. At the 35 minute mark you are becoming tired and bored. Suddenly, you experience an amazing sensation and it's over in a few minutes. You pull out. To your horror there is no longer a condom, but a torn piece of latex around your scrotum. Your girlfriend asks you what's wrong. You say nothing and run to the bathroom. You look in the mirror and realize there has been a breach. For the next six days you consult with third party guy friends. You avoid intimate contact with your girlfriend. On the sixth day you awake to hear your girlfriend vomitting in the toilet. Deep down you fret this morning sickness may have been the result of the breach, but you tell yourself and your friends as you weep on your pillow clutching the bank statement showing that your life savings amounts to $23 that it was probably just the day old egg salad sandwhich she ate last night. There, I crown myself king of bad analogies.

Outside of the analogy at the end, I've been part of this too many times. PSN is an apt comparison to a broken condom, as I assume it's safe but have been woefully let down once before, and no longer trust either. Birth control / physical discs FTW! Safety first lads!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
ZeroRay said:
This will probably be a trilogy for Sony.

The third ApocalyPS3 will somehow start a world war.

Isn't this the 3rd ApocalyPS3?

We had:

1. February 30 bug
2. Exploding Controllers
3. PSN Hack

rapid32.5

Got a message that somebody's been trying to breach into my main email account but didn't know the security questions. Same e-mail I stored on my PS3. Changing passwords everywhere right now, shit just got real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom