• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

Trevelyon said:
What exactly haven't they done?
They finally present a unified front, with the exact extent of what was breached and all the information that end consumer needed to know,
That. You also have not given me an example of a company getting a backlash for giving too much information too soon.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Norwegian Wood said:
Just turn on the PSN so i can play my games. I will read the mail when it comes in Sony.

Meanwhile: Got the e-mail. But I already read the blog post so it isn't anything new to me.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Time for bed, One more for the night. Enjoy.

HowManyTheyGotAtSony.gif

Ugh, I don't even remember what email address / password / credit card I had stored on PS3 (and my console is currently in a different state so I can't check). I've only bought a few things from PSN, and I know I had info stored. More than anything I'm worried about what password I used...afraid it could be similar or the same to other online accounts.

Can someone tell me what email address or subject line Sony uses to send out PSN related emails or purchase confirmations? I'm not a frequent purchaser but haven't had any luck finding any emails from them in my archived web email accounts.

xbhaskarx

chubigans said:
Ive started a PSN user FAQ here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428578

edit: oh, it was locked. Ok then. :\

Did everyone see this?

chubigans said:
The Odds of Misuse

The good news is that there's, like seventy million accounts out there that have been exposed to hackers, so the chances of your personal information being fraudulently used is, quite literally, one in several million.

Only one in SEVERAL MILLION, no need to panic folks!
chubigans taking this to a whole new level even for him...

unagisensei said:
Ugh, I don't even remember what email address / password / credit card I had stored on PS3 (and my console is currently in a different state so I can't check). I've only bought a few things from PSN, and I know I had info stored. More than anything I'm worried about what password I used...afraid it could be similar or the same to other online accounts.

Can someone tell me what email address or subject line Sony uses to send out PSN related emails or purchase confirmations? I'm not a frequent purchaser but haven't had any luck finding any emails from them in my archived web email accounts.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, search for one of the "noreply" emails, which should tell you which card was used.

darkwing

unagisensei said:

PlayStation_Network@playstation-email.com

Trevelyon

Dead Man said:
That. You also have not given me an example of a company getting a backlash for giving too much information too soon.

So what was incomplete about what they issued today? Also, I never asserted that any particular company prior had dealt with such a backlash because of giving too much information, not sure why I need to give an example so badly. I don't know, I'm sure there have been many corporations that have hastly divulged a steady flow of early estimates or unreliable information at their detriment.

BP gulf spill comes to mind.

The only thing Sony needs to do now is:

1. Let people know EXACTLY when it's coming up, instead of "Maybe Friday. Maybe next week".
2. Lock all accounts and send an email where they ask you to reset the password.
3. Automatically remove credit card info before PSN goes up.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
xbhaskarx said:

Is it still one in several million when the hacker sells the data to other users and gets propagated amongst several people?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, the one in a million thing only works if they only choose one person to target.

If that data is leaked for the entire internet, your shit is fucked brah.

xbhaskarx said:

So one in several million out of 77 million possible accounts... that means like 6 or 7 people. Not bad.

Dead Man

Trevelyon said:
So what was incomplete about what they issued today? Also, I never asserted that any particular company prior had dealt with such a backlash because of giving too much information, not sure why I need to give an example so badly. I don't know, I'm sure there have been many corporations that have hastly divulged a steady flow of early estimates or unreliable information at their determent.

BP gulf spill comes to mind.
Now moving the goal posts. Carry on. You are amusing, I'll grant you that. You are the one saying Sony would be worse off by makes statements of precaution, as they would then face a bigger backlash than not saying anything. I feel that statement is baseless. BP is nothing like what you are talking about. BP were never accused of making too much information available, they were accused of leaking a shitload of oil and trying to cover it up. Yes, some of their estimates on the timeframe to fix it were off. Do you really think that would anger anyone more than what they had already done?

Persona7

Banned
arnoldocastillo2003 said:
One question, how will you guys feel if SONY struck a deal with PAYPAL to be the intermediary of your credit card and PSN?
I will never buy another thing on PSN with my credit card.

fuck paypal

xbhaskarx said:
Did everyone see this?

What is happening here is terrible and everyone should be on alert but you do realize that you can be the victim of identity theft by a ton of different ways at any moment.

patsu

Dead Man said:

The GT5 marketing fiasco.
You should be able to find other Sony examples, or from another company.

Nizz

TheSeks said:

Meanwhile: Got the e-mail. But I already read the blog post so it isn't anything new to me.
Same. Saw the e-mail about an hour ago but I already knew what I needed to know thanks to this thread. On another note, I was chatting with a buddy of mine on messenger and he didn't even know about the hacking of PSN.

He's more of a hardcore than casual, only plays shooters. But I don't think he's the type that checks out forums and stuff. I linked him an article about the whole thing and he was pretty surprised. I mentioned to him that with so many accounts/players that the chance of your card being used was low.

I just mentioned that I've been keeping my eye on my accounts/e-mail and I was changing passwords where I felt needed changing. I should be good for now, nothing shady on any of the two cards I had used for buying stuff from PSN. My friend will probably do the same after the heads up I gave him. Still unfortunate this happened...

Dead Man

patsu said:
The GT5 marketing fiasco.
You should be able to find other Sony examples, or from another company.
What? That was also not enough information given. At least that is what upset me and most people I spoke to.

The only way for Sony to redeem themselves is to offer a $25 credit in PSN store and 3 months free subscription to PS+. I am being reasonable...Doubt it will happen though :(

patsu

Dead Man said:
What? That was also not enough information given. At least that is what upset me and most people I spoke to.

Nope. Too much misinfo about features and launch date. Sony staff contradicting each other, with little consensus.

RustyNails said:
The only way for Sony to redeem themselves is to offer a $25 credit in PSN store and 3 months free subscription to PS+. I am being reasonable...Doubt it will happen though :(
The only way Sony can redeem themselves is to get my personal info from the hackers :mad:

Aselith

MiamiWesker said:
What is happening here is terrible and everyone should be on alert but you do realize that you can be the victim of identity theft by a ton of different ways at any moment.

I guess I better just post my credit card info to a blog then. Why fight it?

xbhaskarx

OldJadedGamer said:
So one in several million out of 77 million possible accounts... that means like 6 or 7 people. Not bad.

Yup, "quite literally" 6 or 7 people will be effected by this. Quite literally.
You would think there would be an easier way to obtain personal information from 6 or 7 people than to hack into PSN and steal personal information from 77 million accounts... these hackers must be really inefficient!

DXB-KNIGHT said:
The only way Sony can redeem themselves is to get my personal info from the hackers :mad:
Well that's FBI's job...to catch the hackers. You're right though. I'm thinking ahead, after this whole fiasco is cleaned up.

I actually don't think I can even access the e-mail I signed up for PSN with anymore. Would I be able to change it on the XMB now or would I have to wait until PSN comes back up?

Aselith

xbhaskarx said:
You would think there would be an easier way to obtain personal information from 6 or 7 people than to hack into PSN and steal personal information from 77 million accounts... these hackers must be really inefficient!

I sometimes wonder how they make money doing these hack things. I bet they come out with like 3 dollars and a bent nickle. Really efficient, guys!

darkwing

revolverjgw said:
I actually don't think I can even access the e-mail I signed up for PSN with anymore. Would I be able to change it on the XMB now or would I have to wait until PSN comes back up?

change password on the sites which have similar password on the PSN

Sony are going to get smashed for this from the media and rightly so. I know its the hackers who are the real ones to blame but there faceless while the media see sony. I wonder how they are going to swing this bad pr, and im not one to call for freebies but they need to do right by there customers here.

Trevelyon

Dead Man said:
BP is nothing like what you are talking about.

Well yeah, not too many things are, let's be fair here. If I knew you were prefacing the example, I would've tried to think of something, anything closer.

Yes, some of their estimates on the timeframe to fix it were off. Do you really think that would anger anyone more than what they had already done?

Maybe it's just my memory, but their initial estimates to what was leaking per day was remarkably off to what was revealed later, it was a media firestorm and created an atmosphere of distrust and negative press.

But it's neither here nor there, I guess.

darkwing

supermackem said:
Sony are going to get smashed for this from the media and rightly so. I know its the hackers who are the real ones to blame but there faceless while the media see sony. I wonder how they are going to swing this bad pr, and im not one to call for freebies but they need to do right by there customers here.

just media? wait for the senate hearings and the class action lawsuits

onQ123

RustyNails said:

$25 x 70,000,000 = $1,750,000,000 have you lost your mind? lol

yes I say 70 Million because you know everyone with 3 & 4 accounts is going to use that credit just the same.

statham

fuck you sony, now I have to re-ty all my auto payments to a new account, not fuckin cool. I will probably get a late charge on one I forgot. I have atleast 7-8 on auto pay and now thats fucked. great way to spend my off day.

edit: and those who say it is available already on the net. true, but imagine having 70 millions right at your tip without doing shit. if your a thief looking up 1 dude compared to having 79 million addresses listed for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom