• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
RustyNails said:
The only way for Sony to redeem themselves is to offer a $25 credit in PSN store and 3 months free subscription to PS+. I am being reasonable...Doubt it will happen though :(
Enjoy your Calling All Cars.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
DrForester said:
Time for bed, One more for the night. Enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/HowManyTheyGotAtSony.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
And the worst part is his password was 12345

onQ123 said:
$25 x 70,000,000 = $1,750,000,000 have you lost your mind? lol

yes I say 70 Million because you know everyone with 3 & 4 accounts is going to use that credit just the same.
Fine, a free downloadable game under $15 from PSN store then. Yeah its gonna eat up Sony's treasury but you gotta appease the angry villagers with pitchforks and torches somehow. Besides, I doubt if all those 70m+ accounts are active and if the presence of multiple accounts is really that much prevalent outside of hardcore gamers.

linsivvi

RustyNails said:
The only way for Sony to redeem themselves is to offer a $25 credit in PSN store and 3 months free subscription to PS+. I am being reasonable...Doubt it will happen though :(

I seriously doubt they would give you free credits because of the fact that you can and many people do have multiple accounts. I have 4 PSN accounts myself so that's $100 credit right there.

It's no good if they make an existing game free either since some people have already bought it. What good would Dead Nation do to me when I already have it?

What they should really do is to make one or more of the upcoming games free. They can just make a deal with the developer and pay them the expected copies the game would sell plus a bonus. That way, everybody's happy

Would Sony do the smart thing though?

Aselith said:
I guess I better just post my credit card info to a blog then. Why fight it?

I am not saying that, just that this whole acting like having info like your name and address out there is sucha shock is crazy. All that info is already out there. Everyone is going into super secure mode now when they probably have been in worse situations in every day life where their info could be stolen.

xbhaskarx

GraveRobberX said:
Called Chase, they already knew what I was calling about, I was like the fuck?, they were like we were alerted by Sony and so was everyone else

God as much as I <3 Sony, being one those fanboys in their army, this really has hurt morale for me

Holy fuck man, I knew shit was gonna get comprised, but jesus they being the hackers have everything @ their disposal of our info

I worked my ass off to get my account to where it is, bought so much shit, subscription services I have with them, and time spent =/

I'll still be loyal to a degree, but Sony has made me very weary of them, only PSN cards will be used from now on, and the free marketing they got out of me trying to sell the PS3 is done. Had to call up like 5 cousins who each had PS3 and multiple friends to get the word out on it.

I swear if anything happens to my account, I will fucking RAGE!

This thread has so many gems...

FINALBOSS said:
Does anyone know how long it would take to download 77 million peoples worth of info?

lol

Abylim

Hmm, still no email.. should I be worried?
I cant imagine how they could have changed my email, I sync'd trophy data a few hours before they took it down. Gah, I hate not knowing.

in the same vein, I wonder how hard it would be to get ones account back. I can prove I am the listed account holder, I have ID.

This is seriously bullshit. I'm just lucky I didn't have a card on my account, still gotta change passes and stuff. It's gonna take a lot for me to forget this fiasco and buy another Sony product.

darkwing

Genjikage said:
I cant imagine how they could have changed my email, I sync'd trophy data a few hours before they took it down. Gah, I hate not knowing.

in the same vein, I wonder how hard it would be to get ones account back. I can prove I am the listed account holder, I have ID.

uhh don't bother waiting for the email, just change similar passwords on other sites now

btkadams

Genjikage said:

i'm assuming most of us still havent received an email. i haven't. it takes them forever to send out beta invites to 20000 people, imagine sending out emails to 77 million.

Apath

RustyNails said:
Fine, a free downloadable game under $15 from PSN store then. Yeah its gonna eat up Sony's treasury but you gotta appease the angry villagers with pitchforks and torches somehow. Besides, I doubt if all those 70m+ accounts are active and if the presence of multiple accounts is really that much prevalent outside of hardcore gamers.
Choice of Wipeout Pulse or Motorstorm Arctic Edge for regular members. Meh, throw in a choice of Gran Turismo also.
1 free month of PS+ for current subscribers and a PS+ tied game of their choice to keep permanently.

DrForester said:
Time for bed, One more for the night. Enjoy.

HowManyTheyGotAtSony.gif

I fucking lost it

Aselith

MiamiWesker said:
I am not saying that, just that this whole acting like having info like your name and address out there is sucha shock is crazy. All that info is already out there. Everyone is going into super secure mode now when they probably have been in worse situations in every day life where their info could be stolen.

The shock is trusting a large, reputable corporation with your personal information and then there being such a large breach in their security that possibly ALL of the personal data that you gave them being completely exposed. They don't THINK that some of the data was exposed but they don't really know yet.

Dreaming up some non-specific supposed instance where all of your data is completely exposed doesn't make it better. Name me one single instance in every day life where all of your data is this exposed in the course of normal business?

Name and address are out there sure. What about passwords, security questions and answers, email, address, billing address, name, phone numbers, some of your credit card data if not all. All of those combined and associated together is much larger than any publically available data on you.

Replicant

Interesting detail: while I have 3 different PS3 accounts, the only one that got email warning is the US account one. The other countries' accounts didn't receive anything.

So I'm going to guess that either:

1. Sony dentified the breach happening mostly within the US PSN (and that's when they went into shutdown mode).

OR

2. That the other PSN are too lousy to send warning to the users.

darkwing

Aselith said:
The shock is trusting a large, reputable corporation with your personal information and then there being such a large breach in their security that possibly ALL of the personal data that you gave them being completely exposed. They don't THINK that some of the data was exposed but they don't really know yet.

Dreaming up some non-specific supposed instance where all of your data is completely exposed doesn't make it better. Name me one single instance in every day life where all of your data is this exposed in the course of normal business?

http://www.informationweek.com/news/galleries/security/attacks/229300675?pgno=2
http://wikibon.org/blog/the-11-largest-data-breaches-in-recent-history/

yup Mastercard got hacked

Abylim

Sorry, I'm not being dramatic, was just asking if I should be worried.

Sad as it may sound, I have a lot shit tied to my PSN, the trophies are some of that. I'd have a good $300 worth of dlc and shit on there too.

linsivvi

Replicant said:
Interesting detail: while I have 3 different PS3 accounts, the only one that got email warning is the US account one. The other countries' accounts didn't receive anything.

1. Sony dentified the breach happening mostly within the US PSN (and that's when they went into shutdown mode).

OR

Nah. 1 of my 4 accounts has gotten an email and it's not the US one. It's the one which contains my CC info and personal address.

So either they only send it out to those with sensitive data or they are sending emails in batches.

Aselith

darkwing said:

Everyday? Cause it seems like that link calls it one of the largest data breaches in recent years. Doesn't that mean it's not common at all and that this will be another one of the largest data breaches ever not a completely common occurence?

Edit: And actually this effects more accounts than the Mastercard breach did.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Replicant said:

OR

Same here, 3 accounts (US, UK, and Saudi) and so far I only had one email delivered to my US account, hours ago might I add. I'm not gonna read too much into it, but it is a little bit strange.

Replicant

linsivvi said:
Nah. 1 of my 4 accounts has gotten an email and it's not the US one. It's the one which contains my CC info and personal address.

So either they only send it out to those with sensitive data or they are sending emails in batches.

Hmm weird because while my US PSN is the most active one (the one I used the most for trophies and purchasing), it's also the one with least amount of personal info. It doesn't even have CC details in it because well, I can't use international CC on US PSN. So I have been resorting to using PSN cards.

voltron

Did anyone else in Australia catch the ABC24 piece with someone from Kotaku?

Pretty fucking amusingly ironic.

For anyone that missed it, someone from Kotaku Austalia was just a guest on our 24hr digital news channel here, on a segment discussing the Sony problem.

Irony much?

Replicant

Genjikage said:
Hmm interesting, I am dwelling in Aus currently, has anyone in Aus land got an email yet?

Sydney Morning Herald says no AUS users have got email from AUS PSN. Is this true? Either AUS PSN is lousy or what I said is true.

Drame

Just got a call from my bank that my card has been closed. MasterCard owner here.

Seems that the fellow who stole the card didn't know we don't have netflix around here, haha!

Still this freaking sucks. I'm not going to use my card with Sony services anymore.

Dead Man

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
dLMN8R said:
You know what? Yeah, fuck that hacker, but fuck you too Sony, you incompetent piece of crap company. How the hell do you screw everything up from a random number generator to having a competent web security back-end? Just plain irresponsibility.

If this requires me to go and change all of my passwords, e-mail addresses, and logins again, just like the Gawker breach did last year, I'd be happy never buying another Sony product again.

This is what happens when you build a customer-hostile biz philosophy. While they've adjusted their approach in the last few years, it's sad that the carry over is hurting our ability to simply play games online, and at the risk of our credit details.

If anything Sony really needs to make amends with serious freebies. And they need to upgrade the quality of their network because Jesus fucking Christ, when it ISN'T down, the connection quality sucks.

*hugs 360*

Abylim

I dont care who supports what, some people think ritualistic murders are ok. Life is alot better when you stop giving a shit about what others think, for the most part.

I just want to make sure my shits back to what it was.
Just rang my bank, they cant do any kind of fraud checking, they have cancelled my card and are sending out another.

No big deal to most, but it hinders what I do for a living, I need the stupid card. Ohwell, I'll get a new on in 7 business days.

Aselith said:
Everyday? Cause it seems like that link calls it one of the largest data breaches in recent years. Doesn't that mean it's not common at all and that this will be another one of the largest data breaches ever not a completely common occurence?
Everyday life is what was said... and these were valid examples.

I SHOULD PROBABLY MAKE THIS A NEW THREAD

THE EMAIL ACCOUNT TIED TO MY PSN WAS COMPROMISED AS OF TODAY 2:00AM EST. PASSWORD CHANGED ON ME AND ALL. BE WARY PEOPLE.

linsivvi

Replicant said:
Hmm weird because while my US PSN is the most active one (the one I used the most for trophies and purchasing), it's also the one with least amount of personal info. It doesn't even have CC details in it because well, I can't use international CC on US PSN. So I have been resorting to using PSN cards.

So they are probably sending out emails in batches since it'll take quite a while to send out such a massive amount of emails. My US PSN account is the same case as you, I only use PSN cards and I haven't received an email from them yet.

patsu

Replicant said:

OR

Usually, a database marketing system will de-dup the user list, meaning combine/associate multiple accounts to the same user to prevent sending the same user duplicated email. I'm not sure if PSN is doing that, but such workflow/tech is used in many consumer facing companies everyday.

low-G

Full Recovery said:
I'm starting to think I should have a separate EMAIL for all online accounts. This shit is so stupid.

Better yet, a separate email account for each online account and a separate password for each separate account and email account tied to said account.

jax (old)

Banned
rapid32.5 said:
Got a message that somebody's been trying to breach into my main email account but didn't know the security questions. Same e-mail I stored on my PS3. Changing passwords everywhere right now, shit just got real.

print screen and show us this email.

+

anyhow, my email from the US account when i still bought games from there was off some weird arse creditcard thing that allowed you to buy games from there and that CC has since expired. Don't even think I have that email anymore.

Not fussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom