• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrett2

Serious question; if it is determined Sony knew about CC breach for days without telling us, are there criminal penalties or still civil fines in the US they could face?

Verendus

Banned
Damn. Why must I be inconvenienced due to some idiotic hackers and poor security?

Can someone update me why this is even happening in the first place? I was aware PSN was down, but shouldn't a huge company like Sony have security that can stop hackers from making a potentially huge breach? Or is this a risk with any company I give my details to?

Anyhow, I've never bought anything off PSN. So, I have no debit details on there. The email is outdated and the password is irrelevant. That's good I guess. Still doesn't change that my personal details may be out there though...

Does this mean I just have to change my email and password? How would I do that? You need to log in to PSN to do so, no? And PSN is still down. Is there any other way?

WaltJay said:
I would request a new CC#. If I have your CC#, how long would it take to guess the expiration date? Hell, you wouldn't even need any kind of program for that; just go through the month/year options one at a time, month by month until you get it.

I'm in the same boat as him but the security code is different. Is that more secure?

I still cannot believe they wait 6 fucking days for all this.

6 DAYS.

I hope someone gets fired.

And I don't even have my debit card info attached and thank god, I was very close to do my first PSN purchase a few days ago.

daffy

Banned
rosjos44 said:
this is why I pay 60 a year for good service!
ruh roh
Steve Youngblood said:
Really? You think that's all there is to it? "The lesson learned here is trust no one. Nothing more to discuss."
Hello. Usually when member or non-mod posts /thread it is to emphasize what a poster is saying, not to seriously end discussion . I was probably wanting to do that though.

Ferrio

Banned
Persona7 said:
That doesn't stop the hackers from having your address,phone numbers,emails and password.

Good they know where I live... so if they show up I can actually play some MvC3 with someone.

Severe PSN downtime + security fuck up + Sony starting to use Android in their hardware = Sony is very close to losing me as a customer.

If my CC info gets compromised or if they end up using Android as the PS4 OS then I'm really done with this once awesome but now kinda crappy excuse for a company.

Diablos

Einbroch said:
From a business standpoint, this is enormous. Holy crap. Millions up front, PR taking a huge hit, potential hundreds of millions in lost future sales...

From a consumer standpoint, this is infuriating. Sony has been making one bad decision after another this generation, I just don't know how I can defend them much longer.
It's getting harder with each passing week, it really is.

Steroyd

Holy shit I'll have to call Sony on this and keep a close eye on my bank account, it was only a week before PSN went down, did my account get hacked into. D:

RPGCrazied

I wonder how many PLUS subscribers they will lose over this. This is a big deal, and I hope Sony gets hammered for this. While its not their fault, it is their fault for having shitty security systems. Taking a fucking week to say "oh sorry, but your personal information might be jacked"

Wtf Sony.

dream

GeoramA said:
This is fucked up. And people think digital distribution is the future...

Digital distribution is fine if people care about security on the back end.

Sony seemingly does not.

Curufinwe

I think I might go to the bank after work and get a new Visa Debit card. That's what I used on PSN; I don't own any actual credit cards.

Guys, calm down. Just watch your credit card like a hawk and if you see anything weird, cancel it immediately. No need to freak out.

Trevelyon

lawblob said:
Serious question; if it is determined Sony knew about CC breach for days without telling us, are there criminal penalties or still civil fines in the US they could face?

Would it depend on to what extent they knew and how early?

AnEternalEnigma said:
Guys, calm down. Just watch your credit card like a hawk and if you see anything weird, cancel it immediately. No need to freak out.

Dude, login details and all that shiz. FREAK OUT.

Alex

This is fucked up. And people think digital distribution is the future...

They are, given that your provider isn't a sad joke. I can't see a lot of other big firms struggling to quite the degree that Sony struggles with everything.

But as long as PSP2 still comes out as nice as it sounds, it's coo'. I don't use PSN anyway!

Zimbardo

all this for $599 US dollars.

seriously, what a mess.

eventhough i haven't used PSN in a while, now i'm going to have to worry about what personal information i did have on there.

my credit card on there had expired a year ago, but still.

gonna have to log back in and change my stuff when it comes back online, etc.

not good ...not good at all.

Grinchy

Banned
So there's a chance that we'll only have to pay up to $50 of a thief's potential transactions made with our card? Now I feel much better.

Blu_LED said:
Seeing as a total of zero people have reported odd charges on their credit cards over these past fews days, you would have to assume they didn't get them, right?
Last thread was full of em/
just sayin'

Negator

I have no idea what password I used on my PSN account. This sucks.

Changed the password on the registered e-mail, and reordered my debit card. This is some shit.

Vamphuntr

Grayman said:
This thread has deservedly exploded while I read the first page.

So how many countries is Sony liable for identity theft insurance in?

I need to go look up my Canadian rights in this situation. Sony has not even emailed me something like the OP yet.

Same. I'm in Canada too. They need to spill the beans right now.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder what will happened to the hacker(s) if/when they get caught. Does anyone have any idea what the punishment for something like this could be? I guess it depends on where they live, but lets say they live in the US just to take one example.

rpg_poser

mello said:
I don't understand why people are directly blaming Sony. When it is well known that a bunch of hackers have been illegally cyber assaulting Sony with all kinds of trouble. It's pretty clear to me that these so called dumb fuckers who claim to be freedom fighters are the cause of all this malarkey.

Plinko said:
Seriously?

Glad someone else thinks the same way as me. "freedom fighters"? "marlarkey"? Seriously?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
"this is why I pay 60 a year for good service!"

You pay $60? lol fail..

Could get it for $40.

Mikasangelos said:
oh boy i cant wait for E3 now.
KuGsj.gif

Should now be part of power point slides.

StuBurns

Banned
I'm not bailing from all Sony products, but I'm seriously far less interested in PSP2. DD services are only good as long as they're reliable, Sony's aren't.

ghibli99

Requesting a new card only changes the card #, expiration date, and CCV, not the account itself, its balance, or limit. I've done this many times, and it has never negatively impacted my credit score.

Vinci

Danish
AnEternalEnigma said:

They waited a whole week to mention this. That is irresponsible. Horribly irresponsible.

megalowho

I'm just dumbfounded that I haven't gotten an email about this. I have to read NeoGAF or visit the official blog to find this information out? What are they waiting for exactly at this point? The slim chance that maybe everything hasn't been compromised for everyone, so they can put some good news in the inevitable email?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom