• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

spats

BeeDog said:
Has any outlet (lol) confronted Sony yet and asked how they plan on handling the PSN accounts when PSN is rebooted? I'm probably not alone in worrying about my account, and the purchases tied to it.

I'll make an audible facepalm if my dl history is gone. I think it's over 500 items.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
iapetus said:
Sony really need to do something to provide positive PR for a change. They've pissed off just about everyone other than their most hardcore of fanbase recently. Time to do something positive. Free PSN+ for everyone, good news on the NGP pricing, the return of a new, improved OtherOS would be quick and easy fixes for various people. Expecting a miraculous appearance of cross-game chat just because they've pissed people off is less likely, though. :p
They can seriously turn most of this around if they offer a nice package like

-1-2 months free PSN Plus
-1-2 months free Qriocity
-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

It would encourage people to use the PS Store again, reimburse Qriocity/Plus users and be a nice message of goodwill.

I still don't think they're going to do much of anything though.

Yall are crazy, a file with that much info would be huge. 1 gb, 10-20 gb? It would be considerably larger than that.

Like I said earlier in this thread, there is some crazy misinformation in here.

Walshicus

Choc said:
Microsoft has added a service alert to live that phishing attempts are currently taking place in MW2

Sony gets hacked. Data stolen. Phishing starts to occur on XBL in the worlds biggest game

that shit is not coincidence people. Be vigilant. It doesn't take a brainiac to realise people would have the same emails over both systems, most likely have both and then hey lets choose teh biggest game ever to start phishing

sheesh

http://www.vg247.com/2011/04/27/xbox-live-sees-service-alert-come-into-effect/
Account fishing happens *ALL THE TIME*. It's not a coincidence in that Microsoft is being more vocal given recent events... but it almost certainly isn't the same thing that's happened with PSN.

chubigans said:

-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

It would encourage people to use the PS Store again, reimburse Qriocity/Plus users and be a nice message of goodwill.

A lame freebie on Home is more likely.

chubigans said:

-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

I suppose publishers will demand from Sony some effort to reactivate PSN sales, they're lacking behind Xbox Live, and this will be for the worst.....

BeeDog

chubigans said:

-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

I can see them giving out a free game (like Warhawk) to everyone, but I can't see them giving PSN credits, seeing as how easy it is to create accounts and hoard money. PSN+ will probably be extended for free for existing users (with some additional perk on top of it), but I have no fucking idea what Qriocity is.

Nekofrog

Banned
cjtiger300 said:
Yall are crazy, a file with that much info would be huge. 1 gb, 10-20 gb? It would be considerably larger than that.

No, it would be pretty small. Even if it was 70 million users, it would only be a few lines of text per account (depending on what info they would keep). With text's extremely high compression ratio, it could easily be dropped to an almost miniscule (by broadband terms) filesize.

Choc

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
Account fishing happens *ALL THE TIME*. It's not a coincidence in that Microsoft is being more vocal given recent events... but it almost certainly isn't the same thing that's happened with PSN.

its not the same thing, didnt say that.

Its just imho not a coincidence that this is happening so closely after the leak

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So are people really upset at Sony for this? It has always seemed to me that no matter how secure you think your system is there is always someone that can break that security.

I'm pissed at those responsible for this in the first place. I seriously hope some arrests are made at some point in the future.

Minsc

Gold Member
cjtiger300 said:

It's not impossible that there wouldn't be low-level compression built in to the program. Even the newer 2007 office products use low-level compression, as .xlsx and .docx files can be significantly smaller than .xls and .doc files (~6:1 compression).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Canceling a cc is probably not the best idea...I would just have a new number issued if you can.

Dead Man

dark10x said:
So are people really upset at Sony for this? It has always seemed to me that no matter how secure you think your system is there is always someone that can break that security.

I'm pissed at those responsible for this in the first place. I seriously hope some arrests are made at some point in the future.
I am not that upset at Sony for the hack itself, but their response, which has been substandard.

Raoh

Adamm said:
Or Anon didnt do this but alot of people are blaming them anyway?

Sony is in a bad place. But so is anon.

I get it.. Don't trust the big bad corporation. But don't expect me to trust the faceless hacker with my info.

Oh but they said they didn't do it. Someone give one reason why Anon should be believed?

Before anyone answers that. They also said they were stopping their attacks on sony BUT that another anon may attack sony and its customers, they are anon but not the same anon, your safe from anon but maybe not so much from other anons.

yeah.. I can see why people have so much trust in them.

Hacker, modder, cfw no longer bears any distinction to me.

Griffin

BeeDog said:
I can see them giving out a free game (like Warhawk) to everyone, but I can't see them giving PSN credits, seeing as how easy it is to create accounts and hoard money. PSN+ will probably be extended for free for existing users (with some additional perk on top of it), but I have no fucking idea what Qriocity is.

They could also do it per Playstation 3 serial. Insert serial on playstation.com get 10 bucks coupon.

A nice package including a game, coupon and free months would be reasonable.

Anyways, I haven't seen this much rage since Sony sued Lik-Sang and won.

dark10x said:

Well, people are pissed at the timing of the announcement for customers to look out for CC breach. Additionally, it seems that Sony's security infrastructure is pretty flimsy or outdated, according to some reports/blogs/rumors, which could be deemed unacceptable in this day and age.

Sblargh

Banned
chubigans said:
Hmm, just read about SOE reimbursing DC Universe players. Mercury Fred will be happy. :p

lol, Mercury Fred hacked PSN just to get his reimburse. He did say he was persistent with this sort of thing.

tfur

Raoh said:

I get it.. Don't trust the big bad corporation. But don't expect me to trust the faceless hacker with my info.

Oh but they said they didn't do it. Someone give one reason why Anon should be believed?

Before anyone answers that. They also said they were stopping their attacks on sony BUT that another anon may attack sony and its customers, they are anon but not the same anon, your safe from anon but maybe not so much from other anons.

After all of the attacks and threats, I am going to assume that anon or those closely aligned with them did do this. At this point, I am going to want to see evidence that they did not do this... for me to think otherwise.

Minsc

Gold Member
Y2Kev said:
Canceling a cc is probably not the best idea...I would just have a new number issued if you can.

In the past, I've had my CC company pro-actively issue me a new card because I had transactions with a vendor that had comprised accounts. I'm 100% sure the CC companies are aware of this huge breach, if it's as bad as some places are making it out to be, and they will probably issue out new cards on their own to avoid all the calls for chargebacks.

I do also think just because you don't have any charges you didn't authorize today, or tomorrow doesn't mean you won't (if they are leaked), the #s are sold to other people, and probably re-sold again, and it could be months before it's used, and depending on who, it may be as little as $10 at a time, in hopes of going unnoticed.

NHale

BeeDog said:
Has any outlet (lol) confronted Sony yet and asked how they plan on handling the PSN accounts when PSN is rebooted? I'm probably not alone in worrying about my account, and the purchases tied to it.

My guess is that they will send an e-mail to reactivate your account. They can't just open all the accounts when "someone" has the e-mail associated with the account, password and date of birth. I'm hoping Sony doesn't think that the fate of a PSN account should be decided with a "race" between the legitimate owner and someone else, but hey it's Sony after all...

At least with this I hope they start sending confirmation e-mails every time you try to change the password or e-mail associated with your PSN account, since until now you could do it with only the e-mail address and birth date.

Massa

Raoh said:

Anonymous is not an organization and they do not ask for you to trust them. Whether the hackers responsible associate themselves with that name or not is completely irrelevant.

NHale

chubigans said:

-Free game
-$10 worth of PSN bucks

We will probably get Linger in Shadows.

expy

Banned
jump_button said:
lets face it no where 100% safe, This is the second time somthing like this happen. Who will be next?
Could be anyone, but would be funny ironic to see the other console manufacturers fall into the same hole, just to see what these hackers have got.

PokéKong

Best case scenario:
-They give us PS2 support
-Free PSOne Classic title or two.

Average case scenario:
-Free top PSN game, BC:R2 or something in that league.
-PSN+ subscription for everyone for a year.

Worst case:
-Free Minis
-A premium theme

Actual Sony case scenario:
-Limited time discounted Home furniture and clothes.

-viper- said:
If the Sony have been hacked, what's to say they won't be hacked again?

They need to upgrade their security to the level of Xbox Live.

How do we know if Live is hack-proof until someone tries? Obviously, Sony encountered some brilliant hackers with this PSN fiasco, but who's to say Live would withstand attack if a group of hackers really wanted in?

pestul

expy said:
Could be anyone, but would be funny ironic to see the other console manufacturers fall into the same hole, just to see what these hackers have got.
Wouldn't be funny or ironic for thousands more people to have their identities stolen.

dude

dude
dark10x said:

Well, hackers are criminals, there will always be criminals and there's very little to gain by getting upset at them - "Ugh! Stop breaking the Law Or I'll... Oh, wait, you are already facing some serious charges". It doesn't quite have a sting to it when you're mad at people who are probably being pursued by the police and other agencies.

People trusted Sony with their info, they could've not given the info and used other methods to purchase stuff on PSN - but are we seriously going to blame people for this? Saving CC info is pretty common now, countless other companies hold CC info of their customers and seem to be able to protect it against these kind of attacks.
Maybe you're right, maybe these are svery good hackers, and Sony did in fact use every bit of reasonable tool they had to protect this info - But no one should have a single reason to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, other than crazy brand loyalty. I'll wait for whoever is going to investigate Sony on this to decide, but until then I'll chose the more reasonable "incompetence" option.

Yes, people are upset at Sony and has every bit of reason to be. If your bank was robbed tomorrow, wouldn't you be mad until every ounce of doubt about their security became clear to you?

Also, I expect Sony to offer a lot once PSN is back up, free everything they can. But that's hardly going to wipe this stain from consumers memory, this will haunt them for a while.

Kermit The Dog said:
How do we know if Live is hack-proof until someone tries? Obviously, Sony encountered some brilliant hackers with this PSN fiasco, but who's to say Live would withstand attack if a group of hackers really wanted in?
Nothing is hacker-proof, but it can be hard enough to not make it worthwhile - I have no doubt people try to hack XBL, iTunes, Amazon, banks etc. everyday. So far, Sony is the only one to fall in this magnitude - Maybe other will soon follow, maybe not.

Sony will not give free PSN Dollars for you to buy whatever the fuck you want to buy. They will most give a game and movie for free, or give you 2 weeks of PSN+ for that 2 weeks of downtime.

My bet would be one game for PSN, three months extension of PSN+/Qore for Plus/Qore users, and one album for free for Qriocity.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Kermit The Dog said:

We wont know until someone succeeds. But its not too far fetched to think that people already tried to hack both Live and PSN in every way possible in the past.

pestul

Kermit The Dog said:
Well, simply based on the client/server setup Xbox Live would be a heck of a lot harder. Certainly not impossible, but likely shutdown by MS server nerds before becoming a major breach.

Jburton

Banned
Kermit The Dog said:

The truth.

Christ, if hackers can breach Government / military systems ..... then anything can be hacked!

Including Microsoft's 'military' grade protection, lol.

imagine if the guy uploads a torrent with your gamertag + personal details (name, dob, address) it will be chaos. Everyone will be checking if they're on it or checking to see who's who. CC numbers are redundant at this point.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Kermit The Dog said:

I think it was Houdini who said "a lock made by men, can be defeated by men."

Nothing is 100% safe. If hackers want in, they will get in.

mbmonk

pestul said:
Well, simply based on the client/server setup Xbox Live would be a heck of a lot harder. Certainly not impossible, but likely shutdown by MS server nerds before becoming a major breach.

How is MS's client server architecture different than PSNs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom