• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
gregor7777 said:
I don't shop at Monoprice anymore. Unfortunate, but they lost my trust. I also wouldn't buy anything with my credit card on PSN from this point forward.

It will certainly hurt them. It won't be the end of the world though.
that's unfortunate. I did post earlier in the thread though that I bought from them within weeks after they resumed credit card orders.. and I was dinged for about $500 on my debit card from that whole thing. Sorry your lack of trust affects you like that (genuinely). But the fact is that most will end up like me and others. Shit happens, we get over it.

The only thing I want to point out though is that if you limit your business with places that never have security breaches, eventually you are going to run out of businesses to work with. And if you only limit it to ones that have had public security breaches, then you are tucking your head in the sand assuming that just because places don't go public that they are breach-free. this shit happens on a daily basis. Better to learn how to deal with it then shutting out the places it happens to.. because eventually it's going to happen to a place that you can't shut out (see the UK government or the VFW)

larvi

gofreak said:
Richard Leadbetter's take:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-psn-security-scandal

TBH I feel similar. If I'm using prepaid cards there's no reason for Sony (or anyone else) to know anything personal about me, really. Possibly a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, mind you.

But wouldn't be a violation of the TOS if not outright fraud to provide bogus data when requested? I didn't put a CC on my account but they still asked for all of my personal information when I signed up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Rez said:
One scare and suddenly the Internet is no longer a safe place for personal information?

Well...people give out information under the assumption that it'll be secure.

I and others would have assumed Sony a safe keeper of that info. If a huge network like that is unsafe, I can see how it would raise questions in peoples' minds about safety in general (even if we suppose that this is a more peculiar brand of Sony incompetence).

Plus, handing out this info is actually unnecessary to use the network or buy from it (and others like it). So why give them that info? It's not that unreasonable a stance to take.

larvi said:
But wouldn't be a violation of the TOS if not outright fraud to provide bogus data when requested? I didn't put a CC on my account but they still asked for all of my personal information when I signed up.

Like he says, it would technically put him in breach of their terms of service...but I don't think he or many others would care.

Linkified

Apparently this thread goes way to fast for me, byut did Sony state the intrussion was 17-19 if so you would of thought all those accounts would of been sold on the market but have we had any major fraud from users in the uk.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Smision said:
um, maybe you're referring to Windows ME and early XP. shit has been fine for a long time.

There were a ton of security leaks in IE8. I'm pretty sure that IE9 will present the same. Microsoft and Security just don't rhime.

aristotle

npm0925 said:
No, it is not easy. I am going to have to waste time changing the credit card information on all of my other accounts -- car insurance, cable, online retailers, phone, and whatever else my current card is tied to. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

Err....you're really grasping at straws. You put in the old number when you pay your current bills. Next time, put in the new number. It's the same exact process you do now. Unless you're actually one of those people who clicks "use the same card" no matter what. Besides it's not hard to type a 16 digit number. You life isn't that busy that you can't take 10-15 extra seconds to do that.

bitoriginal said:
Anyone know how to change xbl password? Stupidly, ive used exactly the same details on psn as I have on xbl... obviously, i'm slightly concerned. I won't make the same mistake in the future.
Xbox.com--->My Xbox------>Accounts.

You can change your credit card info there too and remove your card. Not sure why everyone says that you have to call MS

This is for a US account though

iNvidious01 said:
its true, but its not an excuse to have a piece of shit security system in place
InsertNameHere said:
You could make the argument that it's your fault for not looking into the security of the system you're using as well.
Your desperation is showing. PSN should be seen as secure like Live. The PR disaster is complete now though, I don't think whatever reassurances Sony gives in the aftermath will be good enough. . . promises promises.

bitoriginal

Captain Tuttle said:

You can change your credit card info there too and remove your card. Not sure why everyone says that you have to call MS

Ahh crap, I'm in the UK. I'll give it a go though and feedback if it's different. I do remember that I couldn't remove card details in the past though. Changing the password will be sufficient for the time being.

This breach is one of the biggest in history, and people are fooling themselves if they think Sony needed nearly a week to figure out what data had been stolen. The fact is, Sony knew something was seriously wrong as soon as it shutdown PSN... which is why it pulled the plug in the first place.

Despite the claims of an earlier post, the first rule of PR is not to wait; it's to get ahead of the story. In this regard, Sony has failed miserably. It let PSN users rot on the vine for a week wondering what was wrong with nary a statement. Rumors personal data had been stolen swirled days ago and unfortunately turned out to be true.

This is a big hit to Sony's image and I expect mainstream news outlets to pick up the story in larger numbers today (considering Sony waited until after 6pm eastern to say anything yesterday).

KAOz

Short bus special
Sorry if it's been asked. But, has any Euros got any e-mails yet? Just checked here, and nothing.

I know what it will say in there, but it's more about the principle really. Still nothing from SCEE. Bad form.

Captain Tuttle said:

You can change your credit card info there too and remove your card.
In the U.S. can you really remove your card from their system? I always thought you can only disable auto-renew but the card details stay somewhere on their servers/logs.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
KAOz said:
Sorry if it's been asked. But, has any Euros got any e-mails yet? Just checked here, and nothing.

I know what it will say in there, but it's more about the principle really. Still nothing from SCEE. Bad form.

No email yet on my EU account. I only got the US one.

aristotle said:
Err....you're really grasping at straws. You put in the old number when you pay your current bills. Next time, put in the new number. It's the same exact process you do now. Unless you're actually one of those people who clicks "use the same card" no matter what. Besides it's not hard to type a 16 digit number. You life isn't that busy that you can't take 10-15 extra seconds to do that.

Or even do what I do and use copy-paste. >.>;

Didn't Amazon have something like this happen a while back too? I seem to remember that happening and being lucky that my card had expired.

Can't people pay bills with Direct Debit? Isn't that a whole ton faster?

Projectjustice said:
No cause I was smart enough not to get on PSN.

My clan and I had a 62 game winnng streak last night in Black Ops!!! WOOT!

Your just trollin. Judging by your post history, you don't have a PS3 and will never have a PS3.

Jburton said:
In this thread I mean ...... what are you doing here?

Flamebaiting, trolling?

If XBL is so great, then go play!!

Neither, I saw a post that need to be corrected and then someone asked me a question.

I truly feel bad for you guys. My brother is a huge PS3/PSN supporter and his pretty angry as well. He had to cancel his CC and had another one issued. Now he has to check to make sure no one opens a line of credit in his name in the next few months and always be wary of such actions.

Linkified

bitoriginal said:
Ahh crap, I'm in the UK. I'll give it a go though and feedback if it's different. I do remember that I couldn't remove card details in the past though. Changing the password will be sufficient for the time being.

You need to go through Microsoft billing and you can only remove a card if there are a minumum of 2 cards associated to an account, wait till your new card comes put that on and delete the old blocked one.

Hopefully this forces Microsoft to allow people to add/delete cc's and Services from their billing accounts with ease.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Captain Tuttle said:

It still says

"This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option. "

When I try to remove it

Cheech

Jburton said:
Where did you get the price from?

Over react much?

The $350 price point is unofficial
, but it's clearly being kicked around at Sony HQ.

At any rate, the point is, I stopped doing business with Monoprice once they got hacked and I had to screw around with Amex's fraud department because some asshole charged an airline ticket to the UAE. Then, having to change that card number on a number of bill payment services (including PSN, ironically), which is an even bigger pain in the ass.

This is not one of things things you just blow off and say, "Hey, I'm sure they learned their lesson, here's my new CC#!" and keep going. Having a credit card stolen is a major pain in the ass. Even worse, Sony stores enough info about you so that somebody could take that info and open new charge accounts in your name, essentially stealing your identity.

This is not a fun, breezy troll topic where I say that Black Ops has horrible AA on PS3, and 360 is the definitive platform. Then, you come back and say that the shadows on the 360 are shit, and the PS3's online is free so it's the better platform to buy the game on.

No, this is serious shit, and keeping your personal info away from Sony going forward is the prudent thing to do for at least the next year. And that precludes my purchase of a PSP2, plus any PSN games/DLC. I will do business with game merchants that actually spend money to secure their shit such as Valve, Microsoft, and Amazon.

Diablohead said:
I see PSN cards in the uk selling for cheap all the time like £20 for £15, buy two of those and you also save yourself a tenner.

I can wait 2 days for postage for that kind of saving.

Shopto sometimes have instant codes for a bit below their value so you don't have to wait for those to be sent out.

Speaking of Shopto, they had an issue with details being leaked a few years ago. I think they're still banned here because of it but they managed to restore confidence among most customers. PSN is almost certainly going to be more secure than before but I can understand people being cautious or changing their purchasing patterns.

CadetMahoney said:
In the U.S. can you really remove your card from their system? I always thought you can only disable auto-renew but the card details stay somewhere on their servers/logs.
Maybe you're right, I don't know. I never had a problem with having my card on there but I turned off auto renew and only get Live/points cards when they are on sale.

Edit: It gives me the option to remove the card and when I click yes it says "Are you sure you want to remove this payment option for your Xbox Live account" Whether it actually removes it I don't know

larvi

aristotle said:

He may have auto payments tied to the card, I know I do. When I have to change my card, I need to go to several websites and and call quite a few customer service departments to get it changed. I takes a good 3 - 4 hours so it is inconvienent. But at least that can be changed unlike you name/address/DoB and other personal info that was compromised.

Shiloa

So...

Historically, what happens now? There have been big breaches before. Was there then a link between fraud against the breached? Or does the sheer size of the base and widespread nature make the data stolen pretty unreliable and hard to wade through?

KAOz said:

Nothing here yet either. Already changed all my stuff and cancelled my card. Lucky I have cash out, with the royal wedding and May bank holiday the new card won't come till next Tuesday at the earliest.

cjtiger300 said:
Your just trollin. Judging by your post history, you don't have a PS3 and will never have a PS3.

I truly feel bad for you guys. My brother is a huge PS3/PSN supporter and his pretty angry as well. He had to cancel his CC and had another one issued. Now he has to check to make sure no one opens a line of credit in his name in the next few months and always be wary of such actions.

Since when does it say that I have to own PS3/PSN to post in here?

Jburton

Banned
FunnyBunny said:
This breach is one of the biggest in history, and people are fooling themselves if they think Sony needed nearly a week to figure out what data had been stolen. The fact is, Sony knew something was seriously wrong as soon as it shutdown PSN... which is why it pulled the plug in the first place.

Despite the claims of an earlier post, the first rule of PR is not to wait; it's to get ahead of the story. In this regard, Sony has failed miserably. It let PSN users rot on the vine for a week wondering what was wrong with nary a statement. Rumors personal data had been stolen swirled days ago and unfortunately turned out to be true.

This is a big hit to Sony's image and I expect mainstream news outlets to pick up the story in larger numbers today (considering Sony waited until after 6pm eastern to say anything yesterday).

All true, but the media and people (humans by default) are fickle.

Once PSN is back up and running and a few days has passed after yesterdays announcement ...... users and the media will forget about it / stop caring.

The only people that will remember are hardcore gamers / forumites and fanboys who use such things as ammo to troll with.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
gofreak said:
:S

Oh well, race against hackers to get into your PSN account and change the password!
I would think they could send a temporary password to the email address registered to the account. I would prefer this over racing to login at relaunch. Thinking about this, if Sony doesn't reset passwords, is it possible that the hackers could try to log in to all accounts the moment PSN is up and running?

aristotle said:
Have you ever had your ID stolen?

I have, and I wish the solution was as quick and painless as you suggest. It took me a full day to open a new bank account, change direct deposit, order new credit cards, file a fraud alert and change login information for dozens of websites.

Rebel Leader said:
It still says

"This payment option cannot be removed at this time. Go to the Payment method information page to view services associated with this payment option. "

When I try to remove it

I had to call MS to remove it. And that was back in January of this year. There is no way to remove it from their website anymore since the redesign. And it took 25 minutes to get auto-renew shut off and my CC removed. Pain in the ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom