• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Re-posting the .gifs from last night because of the annoyance of having to call my bank to get a new bank card. Bite me Sony.

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

HowManyTheyGotAtSony.gif

eravulgaris said:
So is anyone as paranoid as a friend of mine to block his credit card? He read an article about the stolen info.
"Fuck. They have our personal info. I'm blocking my credit card."
... Yes? They DO have all info. Credit card block/renewal is the first thing you should do, followed by password change.

Zoe

eravulgaris said:
So is anyone as paranoid as a friend of mine to block his credit card? He read an article about the stolen info.

Plenty of people here are.

I check all of my accounts daily though, so it's business as usual for me.

I keep seeing people talk about how they're pissed Sony didn't come out day one and say info was stolen. Did these people read where Sony learned there was a breach, shut the servers down when they learned of the breach, _investigated_ the breach with an outside agency to determine what happened, then released what they learned when they learned it? I'm not mad at Sony for taking 7 days to say what happened because they wanted to be sure of what happened and not jump to conclusions. Why would they come out and say people's info got stolen if they weren't sure? That would piss people off just as much by having them unnecessarily change account info/CC info. IMO, Sony took the right steps in determining what happened and then releasing that info to their customers. If they jumped the gun it could have been worse.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
eravulgaris said:

I asked for my number to be changed, but maybe I am paranoid :)

The bank knew about the problem. They weren't explicitly advising people to change their numbers, they said that based on the info they had their security department would be monitoring for suspicious activity closely and informing anyone affected. But they were happy to issue me with a new number.

I know another bank here though that is advising cards to be changed.

npm0925

cjtiger300 said:
People really think Sony will not recover. Smh.....
The online / multiplayer portion is certainly going to take a hit. Seeing how Sony handled this mess does not inspire confidence in me to tie a new credit card to my PSN account when it comes back online.

Enco

cjtiger300 said:
People really think Sony will not recover. Smh.....
This.

Yes this is a huge mess but they won't be going out of business any time soon. Things will go back to normal in a few weeks when everyone has forgotten.

eravulgaris said:
Yeah, evidently may have = does have to games.:/

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm not sure why Xbox Live security is being called into question at this point. If anything this incident may have inspired them to beef up background security a bit.

darkwing

Enco said:
This.

Yes this is a huge mess but they won't be going out of business any time soon. Things will go back to normal in a few weeks when everyone has forgotten.

nah it will not be normal for them, remember when Mastercard got hacked, Visa is ruling the roost now

ShogunX

cjtiger300 said:
This, nothing is truly hack proof. With enough time and resources anything can be hacked. It couldn't surprise me at all if someone took out a contract on PSN. It could be anyone, private party, business, crime organization or competitor. This shit happens all the time, plus we have no idea how much data was compromised. At least Sony was smart and brave enough to shut the system down.

Oh give it a rest you cringe worthy fool. They had no other option.

cjtiger300 said:
So let me get this straight, IBM is responsible for the ps3 being secure, and now its Sony's fault for it nor being secure? You can't have it both ways, so in the end I guess IBM is the one with shitty security.
Do you have any idea what happened with Sony's encryption key system? They made a mistake so basic (not using random numbers) that I would have been surprised to have seen a first year computer security student make it, let alone an expert.

Marleyman

Banned
Yeah, my debit card is linked to my PSN account. Nothing crazy so far and I am not terminating it just yet; daily monitoring between my wife and I(especially wifey; she is like a hawk with our account) should be sufficient for now. I do feel let down with how Sony went about letting people know but I am not going to just give up on the system - that is just ridiculous.

Anyone brave enough to either keep their credit card on their system or add a new one once this is back up and running? I think I’ll strictly be a retail store card kind of guy after this point, I don’t think any amount of promises could build my confidence back up enough.

Crackers

Neo Member
gofreak said:
This will probably be very time-intensive, but I hope THEY reset the passwords and email you your new one before PSN is turned on.

Sending passwords over email wouldn't be sensible. Hopefully they can force users to change their password on log in though.

Jburton

Banned
npm0925 said:
The online / multiplayer portion is certainly going to take a hit. Seeing how Sony handled this mess does not inspire confidence in me to tie a new credit card to my PSN account when it comes back online.

No need for a credit card for online/multiplayer.

The same people who played online using PSN last week, will nearly all be back playing next week.

A lot of people in this thread need to take a step back, calm down, forget about the trendy hate and if they are unsure of security in relation to PSN to just use PSN cards.

Simple.

Havok

MoneyLaunderer said:
I keep seeing people talk about how they're pissed Sony didn't come out day one and say info was stolen. Did these people read where Sony learned there was a breach, shut the servers down when they learned of the breach, _investigated_ the breach with an outside agency to determine what happened, then released what they learned when they learned it? I'm not mad at Sony for taking 7 days to say what happened because they wanted to be sure of what happened and not jump to conclusions. Why would they come out and say people's info got stolen if they weren't sure? That would piss people off just as much by having them unnecessarily change account info/CC info. IMO, Sony took the right steps in determining what happened and then releasing that info to their customers. If they jumped the gun it could have been worse.
If there was even a remote possibility, then they should have said so as fast as possible. As it is, they have an additional PR nightmare to deal with.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
snap0212 said:
It's still easier to cancel a credit card (or to get a new one) than it is to remove it from Xbox Live.
don't know which is more fun... removing a cc from xbl, or un-nuking your account after XBL fails to renew your Gold membership when you want to drop down to Silver......

and to those saying "well, I was going to buy game A on PS3 but now I'll buy it on 360".... smh... I mean I suppose if you REALLY WANT TO take it online THIS week hell or highwater... but if you let this event shape the console for which you buy multi-platofrm games on now... that is just overreactionary and uninformed.

Havok said:
If there was even a remote possibility, then they should have said so as fast as possible. As it is, they have an additional PR nightmare to deal with.
every single PR firm in the world will tell you the EXACT opposite of what you just said, and frankly as it's their jobs, they're right and you are wrong.

what sony did is practically by the book. release the exact information as soon as you get it.

"service is down to an external intrusion"
6 days later the security audit tells them what may have been accessed
"this is what may have been accessed"

In most cases you get what you give 10 times over. If you give misinformation or baseless information, you get back 10 times as much information and baseless information. They waited until they had specifics. Oh, and of course shut PSN down immediately. You guys who are saying sony should have said this a week ago are just wrong. Had they said it then the panic would have been even greater (because they couldn't release the specifics they did now, only "some information might have been stolen") leading to people speculating even MORE misinformation and FUD.. you think this will be hard to recover from, whatever would have happened then would have been even worse.

about the only one who would be right to be pissed is if someone actually had something happen to them in these 6 days. yeah, that I can see being pissed about. but if you change your passwords today vs. changing them 6 days ago... it doesn't really matter.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Crackers said:
Sending passwords over email wouldn't be sensible. Hopefully they can force users to change their password on log in though.

They can't send passwords over email because many PSN users simply put fake email addresses in there.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
chubigans said:
I'm not sure why Xbox Live security is being called into question at this point. If anything this incident may have inspired them to beef up background security a bit.
Yup im sure that Nintendo and Microsoft will check all their security systems now.

neorej said:
I think it was Houdini who said "a lock made by men, can be defeated by men."

Nothing is 100% safe. If hackers want in, they will get in.

It's not just a matter of persistence on one side. It's a matter of diligence on the other. Yes, a lock can be picked. So can several locks. But maybe not while they're being watched as well.

darkwing

Jburton said:
No need for a credit card for online/multiplayer.

The same people who played online using PSN last week, will nearly all be back playing next week.

A lot of people in this thread need to take a step back, calm down, forget about the trendy hate and if they are unsure of security in relation to PSN to just use PSN cards.

Simple.

who would want to buy from a company that was hacked?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Holy shit, this sucks... time to cancel my debit/ATM card. Will never complain about paying for XBL again...

npm0925 said:
The majority of people will just be happy psn is back up and it will be business as usual. That's just the truth. The second a map pack for COD comes out, millions of people will put in the cc info and not even think about this. Memories are short these days you know.

LordPhoque said:
I was thinking of picking up MK9 on PS3 because of free online.
Yeaa right. XBL subscription renewed.

Considering your posting history I somehow doubt you were getting MK on PS3 or at any point not going to renew your XBL subscription.

Keep on truckin' trollin'...

larvi

eravulgaris said:

The stolen credit card info is my least concern, that is easily changed as are passwords. What's more of a problem is my name, address, DoB, security question and answer(mother's maiden name in my case), and email address that's been compromised. I can't change that most of that and with that much info someone could pretend they are me and call customer for another account I have and get them to reset the password for them to be able to access the account.

jmdajr

shagg_187 said:
Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts! :lol

Leads! :lol

Thanks Funny man.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
TTP said:
They can't send passwords over email because many PSN users simply put fake email addresses in there.

:S

Oh well, race against hackers to get into your PSN account and change the password!

cjtiger300 said:
Yeah, evidently may have = does have to games.:/

Corporations are notorious for minimizing. May have may = we haven't finished our research yet, but we're preparing people for something bad.

I don't know what the deal is, but it's not like it's a problem to replace a card. I don't get why people are so concerned that other people want new cards...it'll either be the smart thing to do in retrospect or nothing at all. It's not like your credit score gets dinged.

Jburton

Banned
darkwing said:

Buy what?

Games online, using a pre-paid voucher.

No risk there.

What does them having been hacked got to do with anything else.

Is PSN being hacked a stigma you don't wish to carry around with you?

darkwing said:

I would, because that company would learn from their mistakes and take the proper precautions to prevent a hack from happening again. I'm not going to let this ruin my image of Sony, considering they are a victim in this as well IMO. Things get hacked. It was just Sony's turn to deal with the shitstorm.

Dead Man said:
What the fuck? You would rather have cc details with MS than with no one? You do know you don't need to use a cc at all on PSN if you don't want? I get being angry and outraged, but shit like this makes no sense.

Ive had CC details with MS for 8 years and never had a problem.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
djtiesto said:
Holy shit, this sucks... time to cancel my debit/ATM card. Will never complain about paying for XBL again...
*an certain amount of time after*

Holy shit, this sucks... time to cancel my debit/ATM card. Will never complain about not paying for PSN again..
---

Couldn't resist =3

aristotle

dude said:
Yes, people are upset at Sony and has every bit of reason to be. If your bank was robbed tomorrow, wouldn't you be mad until every ounce of doubt about their security became clear to you?

Sorry but I can't believe you actually believe this. Banks are insured for your money. Let the robbers take what they want. The govt. insures you deposits. Anything that is stolen from your account is returned to you up to a large sum (most FDIC banks are insured up to 150k for each account-maybe more).

Same with credit cards and debit cards. People who are only now watching their statements and cards are seriously behind the times and just asking for problems. I would be surprised if these people who are just noticing weird activity supposedly (if real) haven't had this happen for a long time. In-person card scanners are easy to use and are abundant.

I have always checked my accounts daily. It takes a 5 minute phone call (most of the time) to put a stop payment on any account you hold. If you have really have so little faith in your bank or card holders, then you really need to change what institution you do business with.

This hasn't really affected me yet (hopefully never), but I check my statements more than once a day since this happened. More than likely I'll ask for a new card and be done with it. Changing numbers is simple & easy and has no ill-effect on you or your account. People are seriously going off the deep end with this. Be rational for once, even if this is GAF.

shagg_187 said:
Leads? Yeah, sure. I'll just check with the boys down at the crime lab, they've got four more detectives working on the case. They got us working in shifts! :lol

Leads! :lol

At least the Creedence was still there...

darkwing said:
Do I really need to put up a list of Huge companies that have had data leaks and are still around and just as strong as before? I would be willing to bet you still do business with some of them.

Kyoufu

I can see 2 things happening:

1) PSN rebuilt, stronger than ever.

2) Sony won't mess with hackers again lol

Jburton said:
Good! ........ tell me this, have you ever had a CC linked to PSN?

I have, and no problems for me. Although I did remove my card info before Anonymous started hacking.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Cheech said:
Yeah, that $350 PSP2 lost a lot of lustre this week. Sony can keep it.

I still want one. Do you realize how secure the PSN will be after this? Also the PSP2 looks great. I'm impressed with the features.

anecdotal evidence + 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom