• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dead Man said:
What the fuck? You would rather have cc details with MS than with no one? You do know you don't need to use a cc at all on PSN if you don't want? I get being angry and outraged, but shit like this makes no sense.

one would hope a software company...no, the biggest software company in the world would have the top security on their system. On top of that, Xbox live has been around for so many years. Outside of social engineering, there have been no mass hackings. Did you see that they just unbanned and rebanned all banned consoles? They've got their security down.

This is Sony's first shot at integrated online and, uh, it shows to put it nicely.

Miggytronz

@PlayStationEU
PlayStation Blog EU
Due to ongoing work to bring PSN back online there will be no publish this week for PS Store or PS Home. We will resume when PSN is online.

npm0925

Jburton said:
No need for a credit card for online/multiplayer.

The same people who played online using PSN last week, will nearly all be back playing next week.

A lot of people in this thread need to take a step back, calm down, forget about the trendy hate and if they are unsure of security in relation to PSN to just use PSN cards.

Simple.
PSN cards and download codes via Amazon are solutions but inconvenient ones. I'm guessing a substantial number of people will simply give up on PSN and take their business elsewhere.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Mad props to Kagari for moderating the thread.
Her PSN ID password is : Cloud4lyfe (I dont even need to hack the PSN to know)

Proc

RbBrdMan said:
I still want one. Do you realize how secure the PSN will be after this? Also the PSP2 looks great. I'm impressed with the features.

Why would anyone "realize" that PSN is secure? Everyone should be cautious and hesitant to trust any of Sony's online services at this point.

Zoe

Psychotext said:
Do you have any idea what happened with Sony's encryption key system? They made a mistake so basic (not using random numbers) that I would have been surprised to have seen a first year computer security student make it, let alone an expert.

It was random, it just wasn't seeded properly.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Wow this is ridiculous. I can't think of a bigger catastrophe for one of the big companies since I've been playing games. Can anyone else?

DrForester said:
Re-posting the .gifs from last night because of the annoyance of having to call my bank to get a new bank card. Bite me Sony.

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

HowManyTheyGotAtSony.gif

Just perfect.

Jburton

Banned
npm0925 said:
PSN cards and download codes via Amazon are solutions but inconvenient ones. I'm guessing a substantial number of people will simply give up on PSN and take their business elsewhere.

PSN cards are inconvenient?

I buy mine in the same store I buy my games.

inconvenience 0

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
darkwing said:
who would want to buy from a company that was hacked?
Ask TJ Maxx, Best Buy (email leak), Monoprice, et al.

I mean do you think this is the first large scale corporation that has lost sensitive data and recovered just fine? Can you point to even one case of where a corporation has lost sensitive data and they didn't recover?

npm0925 said:
I honestly doubt it. It eill be business as usual sinner rather than later. Most games will forget this within a week of the service coming back.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Smision said:
one would hope a software company...no, the biggest software company in the world would have the top security on their system. On top of that, Xbox live has been around for so many years. Outside of social engineering, there have been no mass hackings. Did you see that they just unbanned and rebanned all banned consoles? They've got their security down.

This is Sony's first shot at integrated online and, uh, it shows to put it nicely.

Yeah, when it comes to security, Microsoft is top-notch. I mean, it's not like Internet Explorer, Windows or Office ever had any security issues, right? I'm sure those security-experts behind those tightly locked products were involved in Xbox Live...

JazzmanZ

Wow this is just....I can't comprehend how irresponsible Sony was on their part and not informing people about this a week ago.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Rapstah said:
Nazi Germany?
heh, the first hitler(-related) quote in here to be funny. :D

Projectjustice said:
No cause I was smart enough not to get on PSN.
so basically just out for a midnight (s)troll then? I mean seriously. No one has had any issues with their CC cards on PSN either. So what's the point of your flamebait?

j^aws

dark10x said:
So are people really upset at Sony for this? It has always seemed to me that no matter how secure you think your system is there is always someone that can break that security.

I'm pissed at those responsible for this in the first place. I seriously hope some arrests are made at some point in the future.

I saw something like this coming when Sony released OtherOS, with restricted GPU access, around 5 years ago. I know the PS3 is 'open' in a lot of ways (no pun intended), but Sony must've been extremely naive, or overly confident, not to think that OtherOS, being gimped like that, wasn't going to attract the attention of hackers to try and unlock the GPU (RSX).

That was a half-assed selling proposition. Everything else seems to have cascaded from there.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Proc said:
Why would anyone "realize" that PSN is secure? Everyone should be cautious and hesitant to trust any of Sony's online services at this point.

Fair enough. I suppose they will only be as secure as pretty much everyone else. I'm not going to stop online banking, using credit cards, having insurance, or using email.

In this digital age data breaches are the price we pay for convenience and less paper use.

npm0925

aristotle said:
Changing numbers is simple & easy and has no ill-effect on you or your account. People are seriously going off the deep end with this. Be rational for once, even if this is GAF.
No, it is not easy. I am going to have to waste time changing the credit card information on all of my other accounts -- car insurance, cable, online retailers, phone, and whatever else my current card is tied to. It's a fucking pain in the ass.

borghe said:

I mean do you think this is the first large scale corporation that has lost sensitive data and recovered just fine? Can you point to even one case of where a corporation has lost sensitive data and they didn't recover?

I don't shop at Monoprice anymore. Unfortunate, but they lost my trust. I also wouldn't buy anything with my credit card on PSN from this point forward.

It will certainly hurt them. It won't be the end of the world though.

ZZMitch said:
Inconvenient against using a credit card, yes.
I see PSN cards in the uk selling for cheap all the time like £20 for £15, buy two of those and you also save yourself a tenner.

I can wait 2 days for postage for that kind of saving.

kitch9

Banned
djtiesto said:
Holy shit, this sucks... time to cancel my debit/ATM card. Will never complain about paying for XBL again...

Last time I had Live it was fucking MS taking money from my CC without me wanting them to, not some dirty hackers.

It was a right fuck about to get them to remove my details and stop auto renewing my Live subscription so I just ended up cancelling my card as you had to ring them and sit in a queue for hours. (God knows why they didn't allow you to do this on their website.) Either way both MS and Sony have caused me to cancel a CC so they're even in my eyes.

Neither of them will have my CC again, I'll just use prepaid cards from now on.....

LordPhoque said:
I was thinking of picking up MK9 on PS3 because of free online.
Yeaa right. XBL subscription renewed.
This is the first time PSN has ever gone down like this, Live went down like this a few years ago. The likelihood of PSN going down again is just as likely as Live going down, probably actually less so after they get it back up with this new and improved infrastructure they're building. I don't care that Live costs $70 a year or whatever but spending that much so you can play ONE game, not even that but just one games online mode, one week earlier is irrational and a pathetic waste of money.

Your tag is really fitting

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Richard Leadbetter's take:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-psn-security-scandal

In the wake of this fiasco, trust needs to be rebuilt between Sony and the customer – but from a personal perspective, that trust has now been lost. All personal information will be stripped from my PSN and XBL accounts (technically putting me in breach of their terms of service), and I'll be using pre-paid cards only.

TBH I feel similar. If I'm using prepaid cards there's no reason for Sony (or anyone else) to know anything personal about me, really. Possibly a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, mind you.

Houston3000 said:
Your tag is really fitting

This is the first time PSN has ever gone down like this, Live went down like this a few years ago. The likelihood of PSN going down again is just as likely as Live going down, probably actually less so after they get it back up with this new and improved infrastructure they're building. I don't care that Live costs $70 a year or whatever but spending that much so you can play ONE game, not even that but just one games online mode, one week earlier is irrational and a pathetic waste of money.

Live was down a few years ago but there were no infomation breaches like whats happening on PSN, very huge difference. I love how everyone just inflates the price of live when they have no clue how much it really is.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
borghe said:

HBGary?

ZZMitch

Jburton said:
But safer, isn't that what all this is about?

Or maybe for some it is about point scoring!

What?

What the hell are you even talking about?

You brought up convenience factor, not me lol.

brentech

borghe said:

Yeah, this thread is pretty baffling. Hysteria over info that can be found with a google search on a internet user name....or just in a trash can.

But as you point out and I mentioned earlier.....it's happened to soo many more companies. But because it happened to a gaming company, the world is coming to an end.

borghe said:
so basically just out for a midnight (s)troll then? I mean seriously. No one has had any issues with their CC cards on PSN either. So what's the point of your flamebait?

Why would this be trolling or flamebaiting when Im just posting the truth?

bitoriginal

Anyone know how to change xbl password? Stupidly, ive used exactly the same details on psn as I have on xbl... obviously, i'm slightly concerned. I won't make the same mistake in the future.

neorej said:
Yeah, when it comes to security, Microsoft is top-notch. I mean, it's not like Internet Explorer, Windows or Office ever had any security issues, right? I'm sure those security-experts behind those tightly locked products were involved in Xbox Live...

um, maybe you're referring to Windows ME and early XP. shit has been fine for a long time.

hardware on the other hand...

Superimposer said:
Wow this is ridiculous. I can't think of a bigger catastrophe for one of the big companies since I've been playing games. Can anyone else?

$1 billion write off for RROD.

gofreak said:
Richard Leadbetter's take:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-psn-security-scandal
TBH I feel similar. If I'm using prepaid cards there's no reason for Sony (or anyone else) to know anything personal about me, really. Possibly a case of closing the door after the horse has bolted, mind you.
FUUUUUU.
This is worst result of this mess to me.
When people lose trust in technology it damages the potential of it. People need to feel they can safely store their personal data online for the full benefits of the internet.
** has just finished IT Ethics module **

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
gofreak said:
:S

Oh well, race against hackers to get into your PSN account and change the password!

lol yeah. Not sure how it's gonna work myself.

On a side note, I wonder if Sony will deactivate all the PS3s out there before turning the PSN back on again. That would be actually nice since I have 5 activated, 3 of which are "lost activations".

brentech said:
Yeah, this thread is pretty baffling. Hysteria over info that can be found with a google search on a internet user name....or just in a trash can.

But as you point out and I mentioned earlier.....it's happened to soo many more companies. But because it happened to a gaming company, the world is coming to an end.

Yeah, the internet is one big trash can and the hackers are hobo dumpster-divers. Hysteria blows.

daffy

Banned
nooooooo!!! :( After all this time waiting for PSN to recover, my PS3 finally bit the bullet last night playing Castlevania HD, won't even start up anymore. whyyyyy

I knew this would happen knowing my luck, oh well. Hopefully I can turn around with a new system before the Uncharted 3 Beta. At least I have a 360 to play in the meantime.

Now I'm on YouTube watching the ending. Fuck my life :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom