• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP hardware is finished, Kutaragi reveals new details, still releasing this year(?)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Compare a company struggling to keep out of the red to MS?
Out of the red? From what I remember, Sony's yearly profits were on the multiple hundred million levels, even though they posted less profits that they anticipated, due to losses incurred in one quarter.

In any case, red or no red, Sony is spending money like crazy on their future projects and strategies, and they seem comfortable with that.

I wonder if this will be an "oops" like the PocketStation or a high-end hit with rich consumers?
Heh, the difference between the PocketStation and PSP is that the former incurred only the 'WTF is this crap' when I first saw it, while the latter left me with the 'Jesus H, this looks gorgeous' type of thinking.

Brofist

So what is the middleground price that will satisfy the potential PSP buyers, and the junior business analysts here worried about Sony potential loses. $200? or is that too low?

DrLazy

If at's $200 I think most everyone will be satisfied. If it's lower than $200 prepare for forum explosion like Panja said.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
See the recent threads about whether people would buy a DS at $150 or a PSP at $300. Even with the DS at $150 there were a significant number of people that weren't interested. There's a mentality that portable should equal cheap, regardless of whether the technology is any less advanced than console hardware. I don't see any consoles sporting built-in Wifi or nice, sizeable built-in LCD displays, yet everyone seems to think portable hardware should cost less than console hardware.

That's why it's time to look elsewhere for userbase.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is Sony even really going to break even at $300? I really doubt it. First, it's got a huge, gorgeous screen. It really is one of the most clear, vibrant screens to grace a handheld device.

Do sony make their own? If not, fair point

Second, it's extremely powerful.
Based on PS2 tech, power != high cost - thats already been recouped. All you are paying for is rework, which isn't that expensive.

Third, it's packed all that power into a tiny space.
At first glance, its expensive. But it might not be tiny, just small.
I.e. most of the system on one chip is actually cheaper to produce than PS2 (the old one anyway), and makes it smaller. Real miniaturisation like cell phones is expensive, but there is a mid-ground where you just pack normal efficient tech into as small a space as it will take up, without engineering complex and expensive solutions.

Fourth, a lot of the technology is proprietary to Sony and not off-the-shelf like Nintendo's components are.
Mostly dev costs already recouped from PS2 tech, so probably cheaper than off the shelf stuff - less license fees to pay. Plus Sony has its own fabs (don't know if Nintendo do?)

Fifth, it has a more complicated medium-reading mechanism since it uses discs.
Fair point

Top Bottom