• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP 'The Best' series of budget releases in Japan

ziran

http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/0511/04/news049.html

Nov 17th 05
- Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower (Capcom, ¥2800)
- Metal Gear Ac!d (Konami, ¥2100)
- Everybody's Golf (Sony, ¥2800)
- Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan Daijiten (Namco, ¥2800)
- Ridge Racers (Namco, ¥2800)
- Lumines (Bandai, ¥2800)
- Amored Core: Formula Front (From Software, ¥2800)

Dec 1st 05
- Need For Speed Underground Rivals (EA, ¥2800)
- Derby Time (Sony, ¥2800)
- Dokodemo Issho (Sony, ¥2800)
- PoPoLoCrois (Sony, ¥2800)
- Tales of Eternia (Namco, ¥2800)
- Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory (Hudson, ¥2800)

¥2800 ~ $24, €20, £14
¥2100 ~ $18, €15, £10

some great games there.

i hope sony does this around the rest of the world.

psbest01.jpg

psbest02.jpg

http://watch.impress.co.jp/game/docs/20051104/psbest.htm

ferricide

christ, did they completely drop the sales requirement for "the best" in japan? it's been obvious they do that in special cases with particularly good (or noteworthy, anyway) games on PS2, but fuck, rengoku the best? what the shit? amored core "i can't control my fucking mech" the best? the best doesn't mean crap anymore, i guess.

this is like, 50% of the PSP's library or something. jesus.

mutsu

"The Best" series already under 1 year of the PSP release... looks like Sony is getting desparate.

Good news for PSP gamers of course.

on the bright side, the must own PSP games (Ridge Racers, Lumines, AC!D) are cheap now.

although i'd imagine that anyone that wants these games got them near launch so....

Cheerilee

Big color bars slapped on re-releases annoy me, and only look good if your entire collection has them (like in that pic).

Of course, these things usually cause the price of any remaining proper-looking originals to drop drastically, at least until the originals become "collectors items".

Jonnyram

ferricide said:
amored core "i can't control my fucking mech" the best?
The odd thing is you CAN control your mech in this version because it's the International version which hasn't even been released in Japan yet!!! Plus, what is the point in making these obnoxious covers? Can't they just slap a sticker on the outside of the shrinkwrap that says "Best!! 2800 yen" - that way they can even relabel their unsold stock. Idjuts.

ninge

did i just fall into bizzaro world where "best" actually means "anything we had lying around the warehouse"?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
It sounds like Sony is getting desperate and trying to use the price strategy against Nintendo... the question is whether PSP games that barely sold in the first place will be much of a draw at a lower price.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Will this be happening anytime soon in the USA by any chance. Im hoping to buy a PSP for all the upcoming titles, but I still want to play MGA, so it would be cool if they made that into one of 'the best' series in NA too.

Xellotah

I understand the need to re-package them to differentiate them from full price games, but ....
why the f*ck are the packages so .. well .. cheap.

Could they not have done it like the PS2 games?

Agent X

mutsu said:
"The Best" series already under 1 year of the PSP release... looks like Sony is getting desparate.

DavidDayton said:
It sounds like Sony is getting desperate and trying to use the price strategy against Nintendo... the question is whether PSP games that barely sold in the first place will be much of a draw at a lower price.

How is this "desperate"? Just about everyone knows that disc-based media is cheaper to manufacture than cartridge-based media. It was just a matter of time before PSP got its own "budget" line of games, like most of the disc-based systems before it. Some people were even hoping for it to happen, and the doomsayers were critical of Sony for not having one within mere weeks of the system's launch. Now they go ahead and announce one (as people had hoped/expected)...and suddenly it's being ripped and badgered as "desperate"?

Some people will never be satisfied.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Agent X said:
How is this "desperate"? Just about everyone knows that disc-based media is cheaper to manufacture than cartridge-based media. It was just a matter of time before PSP got its own "budget" line of games, like most of the disc-based systems before it. Some people were even hoping for it to happen, and the doomsayers were critical of Sony for not having one within mere weeks of the system's launch. Now they go ahead and announce one (as people had hoped/expected)...and suddenly it's being ripped and badgered as "desperate"?

Just like some will never be satisfied with Nintendo. Whatever they do someone will always complain. However please do not stop. the comments of some can really wind other people uo and can create 3+ page threads of insults and comedy :D

Culex

Banned
This is certainly excellent for Japanese consumers. I would question the the naming scheme, though. It sounds too much like "best hits" or "platinum", etc.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Agent X said:

I think what I was trying to imply was that when Sony begins slashing prices on titles less than a year after release (and on several which haven't even met their traditional standards for budget rereleases), it seems like they might be motivated by the fact that their system is being trounced by the DS.

I know disk based media is cheaper than ROM chip media -- I never doubted Sony would release a budget line eventually. This, however, seems to go beyond a "traditional" Sony budget rerelease plan and edges towards the "OH NO! WE ARE DOOMED! SLASH AND BURN!" kind of strategy.

Does anyone know what a typical PSP game costs in Japan? Perhaps I'm wrong in assuming the USA price difference exists elsewhere, with PSP games being about $10-$20 more than DS games.

Lionheart

DavidDayton said:
I think what I was trying to imply was that when Sony begins slashing prices on titles less than a year after release (and on several which haven't even met their traditional standards for budget rereleases), it seems like they might be motivated by the fact that their system is being trounced by the DS.

I know disk based media is cheaper than ROM chip media -- I never doubted Sony would release a budget line eventually. This, however, seems to go beyond a "traditional" Sony budget rerelease plan and edges towards the "OH NO! WE ARE DOOMED! SLASH AND BURN!" kind of strategy.
I guess the fact that the system they're on is being trounced is also the reason why games like JAK 3, Ratchet & Clank 3, Killzone and some other Sony games on PS2 became Platinum in Europe last June while they were released in Q4 2004, right? :) I don't know how long Sony usually waits in US, but at least with the latest series, they didn't wait long at all in Europe.

I do know what you mean by 'traditional standards for budget rereleases' though, but still, PSP is a new system and launching the budget series with only the few games that sold enough would have been odd I think.

Ranger X

It makes those game sell again. That's fine.
But it encourages cheap ass gamers as they of course realise they don't have to wait for long nowadays.

Tarazet

Xellotah said:
I understand the need to re-package them to differentiate them from full price games, but ....
why the f*ck are the packages so .. well .. cheap.

Could they not have done it like the PS2 games?

They did...

4907892015296.jpg

Naked Snake said:
That yellow really looks cheap.

Yes.. so uncool, i rather buy a pink DS, or a red Micro...

no, not really. If it looks cheap, then they choose the right color, since its supposed
to be a cheap line of games :)

Miburou

Er, I thought there weren't any requirements for a game to be included in The Best line? I'm pretty sure I've been seeing a lot of PS2 games since 2001 that haven't sold well, and yet were re-released. I do know that the MEGAHITS! lineup has a requirement of 500K sold, though.

And LOL at the people saying Sony is desperate.

Ponn

Banned
Miburou said:
Er, I though they weren't any requirements for a game to be included in The Best line? I'm pretty sure I've been seeing a lot of PS2 games since 2001 that haven't sold well, and yet were re-released. I do know that the MEGAHITS! lineup has a requirement of 500K sold, though.

And LOL at the people saying Sony is desperate.

Some people will latch onto anything they can....

On the other hand I fully expect people to be on high alert after a Drinky/MAF hate thread. Always happens.

I think this is a really smart move. I've always thought the PSP games prices were outrageous.

Hell, the price of the games is waht drove mt o look into homebrew and "less than legal" means to play some titles. Yes, I know... ARRRGH and the like. Hey at $50 a pop I cant afford much.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i guess i'm the only one who likes the yellow. then again, i dont give a fuck about GH packaging

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
Wario64 said:
i guess i'm the only one who likes the yellow. then again, i dont give a fuck about GH packaging
I don't mind the yellow stripe either. Hell, if it means cheaper prices, I'm all for it. CHEAPASS GAMERS AM WIN TOTAL! :D

Top Bottom