• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PStwo DVD playback... better?

mr2mike

Banned
I'm talking over an scph-39001.

Is it notably improved? not really in quality (thought that's always welcome) but in resistance to hang ups, freezes and just overall being less picky than that wich I own right now?

I ask because my Xbox used to do DVD duty, but since he's gone, with no real plans to get one again unless money magically appears in my pocket, PS2 had to step up to the plate... Only I realised today while trying to watch my R.O.D OAV DVD (plannning the marathon the TV series right after), I remembered that yes the PS2 is a fucking shitty player. that or Manga really suck at making DVD, or they're really good at making DVDs that make the PS2 suck.

So, nutshell. better? or not better?

Dead

well not really...yet
mr2mike said:
I'm talking over an scph-39001.

Is it notably improved? not really in quality (thought that's always welcome) but in resistance to hang ups, freezes and just overall being less picky than that wich I own right now?

I ask because my Xbox used to do DVD duty, but since he's gone, with no real plans to get one again unless money magically appears in my pocket, PS2 had to step up to the plate... Only I realised today while trying to watch my R.O.D OAV DVD (plannning the marathon the TV series right after), I remembered that yes the PS2 is a fucking shitty player. that or Manga really suck at making DVD, or they're really good at making DVDs that make the PS2 suck.

So, nutshell. better? or not better?
both

PS2 is a shitty DVD player, and Manga REALLY suck at making DVDs.

So far I must say I havent had any trouble with the PStwos DVD function. Definately an improvement

mr2mike

Banned
hmmm... interesting... now THIS has got me interested in a PStwo.

I was really pissed, I wanted to spend the day in a ROD marathon, but instead I got the PS2 freezing on my right in the thick of the 1st OAV. It's then that I remembered that not only was the PS2 not that good at reading that disc, but that it would be a total pain in the ass to seek back to that point after resetting since the damn thing only fast fowards at 2x.

wich basically made me give up on my entire day of anime watching. I just didn't have the will power to fight the machine.

piece of crap.

PS: no need for prog scan, my TV can't do it.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I thought there was a way to FF more then 2x?

mr2mike

Banned
"How about you buy an ACTUAL DVD player instead"

Why would I want to do that? I'd much rather buy a DVD+/-RW DL whateverotherstandardsthereare. but then I'm not in a hurry for one of those. And if I did get one of those, it wouldn't be for main DVVD watching purposes since the TV output on my rage 128 all-in-wonder is FAR from the quality even a PS2 outputs. I'd rather just spend a few bucks + 39001 trade in for a PStwo.

Top Bottom