• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVR is $100 off again (from 2/18/18 - 3/3/18)

Grinchy

Banned
https://www.playstation.com/en-us/campaigns/2018/psvr-deals/

Headset + Camera + Gran Turismo Sport - $199 (Good basic deal to get started, but you will have to find Move controllers separately)

Headset + Camera + Move controllers + Skyrim - $349 (This is the best deal to get the complete package)

Headset + Camera + Doom VFR - $299 (This is the worst of the deals unless the GT Sport bundle still comes with the old headset model)

If you can find used Move controllers and don't care about Skyrim, the basic $199 bundle would be a good option for you. Just be aware that Gran Turismo Sport has very limited VR support and having it as a bundle with the VR unit is slightly baffling. Still, it's a great price for the headset and camera.

Last edited:

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
I'd buy it if support for PS5 was confirmed, can't justify spending $300-$350 on a collection of peripherals that might only have a 2-year lifespan left.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I will say thats tempting. But im still bugged that they had to re-re-release skyrim as a vr title rather than adding it to the base SE.

Soldat Crinale

Neo Member
Does the Gran Turismo Sport bundle include the newer model VR unit with the 4K HDR pass through? Because I haven't touched my VR because I bought a new 4K TV...

Dr. Claus

Banned
Does the Gran Turismo Sport bundle include the newer model VR unit with the 4K HDR pass through? Because I haven't touched my VR because I bought a new 4K TV...

No, the Gran Turismo is the only bundle that uses the old VR model. If you want the newer one, you need to buy the other two bundles (and I think the standalone, but I may be wrong on that).

Fnord

The Gran Turismo bundle does NOT contain the updated headset/breakout box. The only one I'm certain does have the newer hardware is the Skyrim bundle.

Grinchy

Banned
If there is an official word on these bundles and whether they include the new headset and breakout box, I'll edit the OP. I know that during the holidays when they did this sale, the GT Bundle was definitely the old version. I just haven't found anything concrete on this sale.

They've made it a little confusing by using the promo photo for the new headset for each bundle.

Last edited:

120v

If there is an official word on these bundles and whether they include the new headset and breakout box, I'll edit the OP. I know that during the holidays when they did this sale, the GT Bundle was definitely the old version. I just haven't found anything concrete on this sale.

They've made it a little confusing by using the promo photo for the new headset for each bundle.

The Doom and Skyrim bundles are the updated versions, as far as I know

nowhat

Still not on the VR hype train.
I just tried "proper" VR (I suppose Gear VR doesn't count) for the first time a couple of days back. We had a "company R&R" night and before getting absolutely wasted, as usually is the recurring theme, we went to this "VR experience" place that had a bunch of Vives with some games (or tech demos, really) to choose from.

Based on that experience, my assessment of VR can be summarized as "everything you hated about the Wii, now with motion sickness!". I wasn't exactly a fan. But a colleague said he'll borrow his PSVR to test it out - the fact that he's so willingly offering to borrow it is discouraging, but who knows, with a proper game I may even enjoy it. Looking forward to trying RE7 at least.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Im sure some of the games are good.
But I cant justify spending hundreds of pounds on a VR headset that is about equal to gear VR in terms of screen and optics quality.

PSVR is like the equivalent of a small early CRT tv.
VR is going to get so much better.

Allandor

So, that means the VR-hype is over. $199 with the camera and a game is really cheap.
Well I would buy it, if I wouldn't get sick every time I try a VR headset ^^. I think it really needs a few more iterations before my stomach can handle this.

Blam

I just tried "proper" VR (I suppose Gear VR doesn't count) for the first time a couple of days back. We had a "company R&R" night and before getting absolutely wasted, as usually is the recurring theme, we went to this "VR experience" place that had a bunch of Vives with some games (or tech demos, really) to choose from.

Based on that experience, my assessment of VR can be summarized as "everything you hated about the Wii, now with motion sickness!". I wasn't exactly a fan. But a colleague said he'll borrow his PSVR to test it out - the fact that he's so willingly offering to borrow it is discouraging, but who knows, with a proper game I may even enjoy it. Looking forward to trying RE7 at least.

Being drunk in VR is probably the worst time you'd ever have. Not to mention if it's a standing experience or a moving on you'd need around a week or 2 tops to get your "VR Legs" and you'll never experience that again.

Chaostar

Still nothing for UK buyers? Been on the fence for a long time, but they never seem to give anything for the UK...?

Same here, very nearly bit on the £250 Skyrim bundle but it was only the version 1 model without HDR pass-through.

I'll lose interest eventually Sony UK, get ya finger out.

Wonko_C

As fantastic as RE7 is in VR, that is one of the few games (alongside Driveclub) that gives me motion sickness if I turn the comfort options off. Frankly I like games with teleport more, not only because they don't make me sick but because somehow it feels more immersive to me than to simulate "walking" while I'm not using my feet at all.

Everybody should start with games where you're fixed to one spot, then gradually moving to more intense games. I've done this with at least a dozen friends and they've all came out from it amazed.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
So, that means the VR-hype is over. $199 with the camera and a game is really cheap.
Well I would buy it, if I wouldn't get sick every time I try a VR headset ^^. I think it really needs a few more iterations before my stomach can handle this.

Vr wont be mass market until the user experience is like putting on a set of decent headphones and BAM you have great VR with a very high comfort level.
Having said that though I would use VR more if

• I didnt have to bother putting my phone in
  • There was no clouding
  • And my galaxy didnt start getting to hot

Last edited:

nowhat

Being drunk in VR is probably the worst time you'd ever have. Not to mention if it's a standing experience or a moving on you'd need around a week or 2 tops to get your "VR Legs" and you'll never experience that again.
Oh, that was before getting drunk (which we did again, ohboyee). But sure, I can imagine it would be way worse drunk.

Blam

Vr wont be mass market until the user experience is like putting on a set of decent headphones and BAM you have great VR with a very high comfort level.
Having said that though I would use VR more if

• I didnt have to bother putting my phone in
  • There was no clouding
  • And my galaxy didnt start getting to hot

So then the Google Daydream or the Oculus Go

ruvikx

Banned

I wouldn't be able to even reach for my glass in VR without knocking it over, ergo getting drunk beforehand is only scenario in which "I'm playing VR whilst wasted" scenario applies. But, once again that's just 'another' drawback on the actual experience: comfortable gaming on the couch is replaced by an awkward, often standing-up playstyle in which cable management (& potential disaster when someone's dog starts jumping up at them whilst they're playing) adds unnecessary stress & issues which normal gaming does not suffer from.

VR simply isn't practical enough at this point. Also (& this is an important problem), people look like dorks with the headset on.

Blam

I wouldn't be able to even reach for my glass in VR without knocking it over, ergo getting drunk beforehand is only scenario in which "I'm playing VR whilst wasted" scenario applies. But, once again that's just 'another' drawback on the actual experience: comfortable gaming on the couch is replaced by an awkward, often standing-up playstyle in which cable management (& potential disaster when someone's dog starts jumping up at them whilst they're playing) adds unnecessary stress & issues which normal gaming does not suffer from.

VR simply isn't practical enough at this point. Also (& this is an important problem), people look like dorks with the headset on.

I mean I say it's the worst experience but it's only bad if you're an occasional user of VR. It's really easy to hold your own in VR but if you don't have enough time in it you'll just tip over a lot.

ultrazilla

Detroit area looks like a bust(at least if you simply want the regular headset bundle for $199(which IS the Grand Tourismo bundle btw). No BestBuys in a 250 mile radius. That's great! Unless they haven't updated their webpage yet as it's only 745am Sunday morning and all the new sales go live today when they open. I guess there's a slight chance they're holding off on updating until they open at 11am. And I mention BestBuy because my brother has like $200 in points he can use to get the bundle. If anyone picks up their bundles today, let us know here! Good luck!

Last edited:

Codes 208

Who cares? Taking into account that youre doing this at home and unless its for a party, youre either likely by yourself or with spouse or something. Its not like some neighbor kid is going to walk by and point their finger at you and laugh while you wave your arms in the air like you just dont care. I returned my oculus awhile back for several reasons but of all things that wasnt one of them. (I learned i get motion sickness easily and nearly threw up on my desk, pc and consoles.)

ruvikx

Banned
Who cares? Taking into account that youre doing this at home and unless its for a party, youre either likely by yourself or with spouse or something. Its not like some neighbor kid is going to walk by and point their finger at you and laugh while you wave your arms in the air like you just dont care. I returned my oculus awhile back for several reasons but of all things that wasnt one of them. (I learned i get motion sickness easily and nearly threw up on my desk, pc and consoles.)

I don't mean to be flippant, nor provocative, but the social aspect is important, i.e. some of us are never "alone". We have friends/family/pets in the vicinity 24/7, ergo waving our arms around with a headset on is a terrible idea. I'm not alone in thinking this is a problem & it's something VR simply cannot sweep under a carpet.

Honestly, slouching on the sofa with a glass of whiskey on the coffee table whilst console gaming poses zero problems (hallo wireless controllers), yet VR? Nah, it's awkward at best for many of us.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't mean to be flippant, nor provocative, but the social aspect is important, i.e. some of us are never "alone". We have friends/family/pets in the vicinity 24/7, ergo waving our arms around with a headset on is a terrible idea. I'm not alone in thinking this is a problem & it's something VR simply cannot sweep under a carpet.

Honestly, slouching on the sofa with a glass of whiskey on the coffee table whilst console gaming poses zero problems (hallo wireless controllers), yet VR? Nah, it's awkward at best for many of us.
I don’t disagree, but psvr is very couch friendly in most of its library. It has a great sitting lineup. In fact, as great as some of the standing games are, the limited tracking makes it feel like the less preferable way to go sometimes.

Sitting on the couch with a controller while wearing a headset is really not a big problem with others in the room.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
Seems like a good price but I'd feel like I'm investing in old tech. I'll buy into VR when it's wireless and has a better res and tracking.

Grinchy

Banned
If you have a 4k tv what is the point of it?
I don't think I understand the question. Are you asking why someone would want a VR headset if they already have a 4K TV? The two things have noting to do with each other, so that's why I'm a bit confused by the question.

DavidGzz

Gold Member
I don't think I understand the question. Are you asking why someone would want a VR headset if they already have a 4K TV? The two things have noting to do with each other, so that's why I'm a bit confused by the question.

You don't sit close enough to your tv to feel the heat on your cheeks?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Better resolution over meh audio/video that you have to wear.

Grinchy

Banned
Better resolution over meh audio/video that you have to wear.
I'm not sure if you actually understand what a VR headset is. Are you under the impression that this is a device that just makes it look like a fake big screen is in front of you?

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member

From watching this. All I got was immersive googles VR exclusive titles do nothing for me either. If I am missing anything please correct me then.

ultrazilla

Has anyone been able to clarify/confirm that the base $199 model is the updated headset(November 2017 release)? I know the Doom and Skyrim bundles do feature the updated headset but heard the 199 version
was the "old" headset. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Top Bottom