• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Psychonauts being published by..

Memles

sonycowboy said:
Anyone else think it means something that every other publisher along the way let it drop to Majesco?

Yep...non-brand platformers, no matter how good they may end up being, sell like shit. Especially on XBox.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
And to think I used to have such high hopes for this game. At least Double Fines's website is usually pretty entertaining to read.

Memles

Society said:
You mean like non-nintendo games on GCN?

Non-Nintendo platformers, yes...all games, no. But still, the parallel could probably be drawn without including games like Sonic/Monkey Ball/RE.

Tellaerin

Just glad to see that somebody's picked Psychonauts up for release. It may flop big time, but at least everyone who was looking forward to the game will have a chance to buy it. That's the important thing, really.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
this will be the first majesco game I buy since they rereleased castlevania 4!

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Azih said:
I thought Sammy was publishing Guitly Gear on the Box. They shunted it to Majesco?

Sammy is publishing the upcoming Guilty Gear Isuka for PS2 only. Sammy passed off publishing duties of Guilty Gear X2 #Reload on Xbox to Microsoft in Japan, and Majesco for the U.S.

That's two good games jumping on the shitty publisher bandwagon in as many weeks...

...the other being the Unreal franchise and Midway.

SHITTAY!

jarrod

Banned
Kumiko Nikaido said:
Sammy is publishing the upcoming Guilty Gear Isuka for PS2 only. Sammy passed off publishing duties of Guilty Gear X2 #Reload on Xbox to Microsoft in Japan, and Majesco for the U.S.
Isn't Sega taking over publishing Sammy's nonparlor console games? Or is that in Japan only?

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
jarrod said:
Isn't Sega taking over publishing Sammy's nonparlor console games? Or is that in Japan only?

From my understanding, it's on a game-by-game basis, and applies to the Japanese territory only.

ferricide

CrimsonSkies said:
Aren't they publishing Advent Rising? Seems like a decent publisher given their position in the industry.
i think majesco is striving to improve, hence publishing more realistic games. kind of like midway. fuck the h8.

though everyone who says it's d00m3d is probably right. it's cool, and it might even be really good -- dunno yet -- but is anybody gonna buy it? i'd hate to see microsoft vindicated, but...

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Didn't Oxygen post some impressions a few months ago saying that the game is utter shit, which was most likely why MS was dropping it?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
dont think they were impressions and im pretty sure the words 'utter shit' weren't mentioned, but he did say they dropped it because it wasnt fun.

IgeL

I think some of you guys have the wrong impression of publishers, like they'd want to publish good games. No. They want to publish profitable games.

Psychonauts wouldn't be profitable if the costs counted from the beginning... but since it's probably quite close to release now, Majesco was probably able to pick it up quite cheaply. I guess they didn't have to pay MS for their part of the funding...

IgeL said:
I think some of you guys have the wrong impression of publishers, like they'd want to publish good games. No. They want to publish profitable games.

Psychonauts wouldn't be profitable if the costs counted from the beginning... but since it's probably quite close to release now, Majesco was probably able to pick it up quite cheaply. I guess they didn't have to pay MS for their part of the funding...

Uhhh... Couldn't other publishers have done the same thing, then?? I don't see how Majesco magically gets it for cheaper than everyone else. I understand if the market isn't there then the price will drop. But if say, Acclaim wanted to pick this up, I'm quite sure they could have paid the exact same as Majesco because being with one of the major publishers guarantees better distribution and support.

My guess is that nobody else wanted it, combined with a possible problem of one of the major publishers getting behind it so late in the game. They've already met with all of the big buyers, done their presentations, and booked thier holiday plans (and beyond) and reworking the plans for a marginal title probably just wouldn't be worth it.

IgeL

That's part of what I was referring to. It's not a big seller and small profits don't interest the big guys. In the end there aren't that many big publishers around anyway, and I'd count Majesco as a solid publisher.

And you sure if Acclaim is in any position to actually sign any new titles anyway? (answer if you can, I'd really like to know. :))

aku:jiki

Chittagong said:
Runners up:

2. Jaleco
3. Titus
Aww, be nice. At least Majesco put out a few Bomberman's and Blowout (which rocks you). Unlike Jaleco who haven't out out anything good in the last decade, and Titus who've never once managed to let the slightest nugget of quality slip out. How do they even do it?

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
actually, the reason why a lot of publishing deals didn't work out for psychonauts is because all publishers wanted ownership of doublefine's IP and tim didn't want to give that up. doublefine told me this morning that working with majesco has been really great -- they were interested and signed the game within a few days. they didn't give them the runaround like all the other pubs.

and you guys would be really surprised to hear the list of publishers doublefine were talking to before landing with majesco.

----

http://chespace.1up.com

chespace said:
actually, the reason why a lot of publishing deals didn't work out for psychonauts is because all publishers wanted ownership of doublefine's IP and tim didn't want to give that up. doublefine told me this morning that working with majesco has been really great -- they were interested and signed the game within a few days. they didn't give them the runaround like all the other pubs.

and you guys would be really surprised to hear the list of publishers doublefine were talking to before landing with majesco.

----

That provides some hope and Tim is a pretty upfront guy, but really, what else is the guy going to say? "Nobody else wanted it" or "we couldn't get signed by anyone else, so we went with Majesco".

Let's just get some real impressions I guess.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Who to believe, slackjawed forum gossipmongers or a real, honest-to-goodness industry insider? Hmm...

If I was a small-time publisher like Majesco or Jaleco, I'd just publish a few obscure, mediocre RPGs from Japan, and get an instant cult fanbase.

element

im sure Doublefine talked to all the major publishers, EA, Activision, Eidos, and others. IP ownership is a huge thing for creative guys like Tim. They dont want to see their hardwork go off and turn into crap, also if a game does well owning the IP could open up many other revenue streams like toys, TV, and other merch.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
sonycowboy said:
That provides some hope and Tim is a pretty upfront guy, but really, what else is the guy going to say? "Nobody else wanted it" or "we couldn't get signed by anyone else, so we went with Majesco".

Let's just get some real impressions I guess.

why are you so cynical? i didn't talk to tim, btw. i talked to a friend at doublefine who followed the ups and downs of courting publishers the last few months.

----

Top Bottom