• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pure Pool |OT| From The Creators Of Hustle Kings

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
pure-pool-header-3.jpg

Pure Pool Launch Trailer
Pure Pool: Giant Bomb Quick Look

The following taken from PS Blog Post
We at VooFoo Studios are intensely proud of our games – and our next game in the Pure series is no different. We’ve been working our socks off to bring you Pure Pool in all its shiny glory. Just like we did with Pure Chess, we’ve taken great care to not only give it our trademark stunning visuals, but to perfect all the details to make Pure Pool as immersive as we possibly can. And we’re certain we’ve achieved the goal of creating a bustling pool hall in the comfort your own home!

The whole team has enjoyed creating this game and developing features specifically for the PS4 has also been a blast. We’ve been able to implement features such as the use of the DualShock 4 touchpad, which allows you to glance about the table right up to the point of taking the shot. There’s also the inclusion of accolades and Trophies for those Trophy hunters out there.
Since our new pool game is very much focused on the “Pure” part of the title, we’ve gotten rid of the artificial features and mechanics such as a power bar and top-down views to create a more authentic game for both beginners and masters alike. Pull back on the right analog stick – just like pulling back the cue before taking a shot in reality – then push forward to take your shot. Need to check another angle to ensure you get the perfect pot? Press the Square button and walk around the table as if you would in real life. Pure and simple.
Another part of the VooFoo portfolio that we’re particularly proud of is the ball physics from Hustle Kings. We’ve built on that for Pure Pool, pushing the hardware to see how realistically we can make the balls bounce off each other and around the table.

In regards to gameplay, we’ve included 40+ hours of single player careers of varying difficulties for each game mode (varying from 8-ball pool, 9-ball pool, Killer, mini-games and the VooFoo designed game of Accumulator). That’s a lot of pool – and that’s without covering the multiplayer options. Speaking of multiplayer options, we wanted to get you competing against other players from around the world in a fully synchronised gameplay within seconds of booting gameplay, so we built a streamlined online multiplayer system to make live gameplay virtually indiscernible from offline play.
We’re also excited to introduce our new online DNA profiling system to everyone. After you’ve played a few games of pool, your DNA profile is created. This gathers a wide selection of information about how you play, from the type of shots you take, if you go for pots or play it safe, if you often put heavy spin on the cue ball – and creates a DNA profile. This essentially means that when you’re offline, your friends are still able to play against you and vice versa! There is also two-player local play which is fully supported.

Punk And Lizard said:
VooFoo want to immerse you in an experience of feel, skill and out right beauty which they do with embarrassing ease.
PSGamer said:
VooFoo have found the "Golden Angle" with Pure Pool. It is near perfect when it comes to pool simulation.
We Got This Covered said:
If you want a pool title for your PlayStation 4, this is currently the only game in town. It does have some problems and is missing some features, but due to its budget price and solid gameplay, I still recommend Pure Pool to anyone willing to look past its blemishes.
Gamerstyle said:
Minor niggles stop this being a perfect pool game, but it is the best simulation of pool to date.

Availible to buy on Steam and PSN for PS4 for $12.99. 30% Off Launch Week Only at $9.09. An Xbox One version is to be expected sometime this Summer.

Pure Pool comes complete with photo-realistic balls and an absolutely jamming jazz focused soundtrack better than anything you can find on Watercolors.

Kyoufu

If VooFoo ever fix the online then I say we set up a tournament!

Until then, I will continue playing the cheating AI. :p

madp0k

Got it the otherday, really good fun, couple of issues (connection to server error in the top corner and a long pause occasionally before the ai takes it shot)but apart from that quite good.

coolasj19

If you have any suggestions for the OT, PM me or post here with something substantial. In other news. I asked about a percentage after every shot indicator and font choices. VooFoo is very responsive on Twitter and I suggest you take any inquires there. And yes, they're fixing the online, pestering only does so much.

If you have any super witty tagline ideas that do not include juvenile ball puns or extreme local termage, leave them here or PM me and I'll ask a mod. THis was the best I could come up with on such short notice.

coolasj19

How's the physics?
Perfect. It's quite less extreme than Hustle Kings but I get the feeling that's just from a lack of a cheatastic line indicator. You kind of have to discover those shots and how hard you have to hit them with trial and error. But it feels so good when you do a curve around an opponents ball with backspin to set up the next shot and you know you did it all on your own.
Really tempted to get this, love me some pool and snooker games since Virtual Pool like 18 years ago...
$9.09. Best and only pool game on PS4. Best one on PC. Just do it. It's fairly addicting.

Perfect. It's quite less extreme than Hustle Kings but I get the feeling that's just from a lack of a cheatastic line indicator. You kind of have to discover those shots and how hard you have to hit them with trial and error. But it feels so good when you do a curve around an opponents ball with backspin to set up the next shot and you know you did it all on your own.

Thanks, will watch closely.

One problem I have with the physics sometimes is balls bouncing out of pockets if you put any power into them. It's annoying, but doesn't happen too often.

Now behold this beautiful shot:

Thank you.

It looks half decent from what I've seen. It's nowhere near as good as Virtual Pool 4 though. That's the game to get if you have a PC.

Jedi2016

Now, they just need an option to turn off notifications and to do something about that hideous name bar in the bottom left. Gimme a nice clean (nonexistent) UI and I'll be good.

Baleoce

Purchased for £5.59 on Steam

Looking forward to digging into this. Loved Pool Nation and am still going through it atm. I know they did Hustle Kings, played a bit of that on PS3/Vita.

RyudBoy

Pure Pool comes complete with photo-realistic balls

Not sure if want.

Anyway, might be interested in the XB1 version. I remember trying out the Pool Nation demo on 360 and kinda liked it.

This game is so fucked, even if you disconnect your ps4 from the internet entirely you still get the 'error connecting to the server' message every 30 seconds. I also can't believe there's no brightness option like every other game made in the last 10 years. There's no excuse for such thoughtless design.

I'm going to wait for a patch before I play again. I feel like I wasted $10.

Baleoce

This game is so fucked, even if you disconnect your ps4 from the internet entirely you still get the 'error connecting to the server' message every 30 seconds. I also can't believe there's no brightness option like every other game made in the last 10 years. There's no excuse for such thoughtless design.

Yeah I just bought it on Steam. First things I noticed. The server it keeps contacting is always down, and it's always telling me that it's always down. The brightness is terrible. The UI is ugly and doesn't fit with the aspect ratio I've assigned it. I mean, considering the polish of the actual table / background etc. I'm really surprised at how bad the UI is. Music is nice, quite relaxing and it fits. As for pool itself, I haven't had long enought to say, physics and sound effects seem good.

And when I say the UI is bad, I mean MSPaint bad. The config customization is also very lacking. Also, there's an invert x axis enable / disable option, but if you do it, it only changes it for aiming and not when you're putting spin on. That's kind of irksome.

Yeeah, I think I'm gonna give this one a while to be patched up a bit.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
OK, so I just bought this. I'm really not sure why exactly as you can see in my Avatar I have an actual pool table within arms reach of my spot on the couch. I'd be down for a GAF tournament if that is a possibility.

I know nothing about this game and just saw it for a discount on the PSN store so I'm going in blind. I do own hustle kings for ps3 and had a decent time with that. I really hope this isn't a nickle and dime dlc fest type game. I can imagine it now, upgraded cues, different tables, different locations, ect....

Ho lee shit. What the fuck is this game? My sound doesn't work, options don't work, connectivity is absolutely fucked, everything I try bugs me out back to a previous option, the game locks up, the UI is unintuitive and very badly designed. Jesus Christ. It was only $9 but I really feel like I'm playing an early access game here.

DietRob

Damn... I really should of read the few replies ITT before impulse buying this. Sounds like it's nothing but trouble. Eh, I'm not going to feel too bad it was 9 bucks.

Calabi

I bought this on steam. It seems ok, its not perfect the UI is a bit clunky, no exit button that I can find. It defaults to controller, I have to use the controller when its connected, I dont mind but I'm sure that will annoy people.

Kind of seems a bit unfinished, but the load times and they way it just gets straight into playing pool no nonsense is great. The graphics are great but I would prefer more Anti Aliasing, my graphics card can handle it.

coolasj19

Want me to PM you when the next patch hits?
OK, so I just bought this. I'm really not sure why exactly as you can see in my Avatar I have an actual pool table within arms reach of my spot on the couch. I'd be down for a GAF tournament if that is a possibility.
I know nothing about this game and just saw it for a discount on the PSN store so I'm going in blind. I do own hustle kings for ps3 and had a decent time with that. I really hope this isn't a nickle and dime dlc fest type game. I can imagine it now, upgraded cues, different tables, different locations, ect....
I feel like there's a tournament option but I'll be damned if it works or if I can find it.
Ho lee shit. What the fuck is this game? My sound doesn't work, options don't work, connectivity is absolutely fucked, everything I try bugs me out back to a previous option, the game locks up, the UI is unintuitive and very badly designed. Jesus Christ. It was only $9 but I really feel like I'm playing an early access game here.
PC or PS4? Because on PS4 I have zero of those technical issues. Probably PS4.
I bought this on steam. It seems ok, its not perfect the UI is a bit clunky, no exit button that I can find. It defaults to controller, I have to use the controller when its connected, I dont mind but I'm sure that will annoy people.
Kind of seems a bit unfinished, but the load times and they way it just gets straight into playing pool no nonsense is great. The graphics are great but I would prefer more Anti Aliasing, my graphics card can handle it.
Definitely the best part of the game. I got Burnout Paradise flashbacks in terms speed and just the UI being on the playing screen. I already asked them about new fonts. Go tweet them for other things.
Damn... I really should of read the few replies ITT before impulse buying this. Sounds like it's nothing but trouble. Eh, I'm not going to feel too bad it was 9 bucks.
Yeah. Probably. I'm not feeling the things that are annoying people right now. There's some niggles and annoyances but the core gameplay is very fun.

EDIT : Tweeted them this thread and some of the more prominent complaints. Brightness, control inversions.

Jedi2016

UI and network issues seems to be the only real issue I can see. The actual gameplay is pretty solid. The underlying game is good, fix up a few little things and it could be great.

UI and network issues seems to be the only real issue I can see. The actual gameplay is pretty solid. The underlying game is good, fix up a few little things and it could be great.

Yeah this is really it for me. The unintuitive menu, and the lack of some real basic configuration options is bad, but when you're playing the game everything is what you expect. Really good graphics and physics makes it a great experience.

DietRob

Can somebody please turn on the light that hangs over the pool table?

Why is the game so dark. Especially when I get to the 8 ball for the win. Who thought this was a good idea? Can't see shit cap'n.

CzarTim

Reposting my impressions from the other thread:

I got this game yesterday, and it is super fun. I played almost all day. As others have said, the constant stream of usernames in the top left is super annoying, and the online has been inconsistent to say the least. Those issues aside I've been enjoying playing the career mode. It's a perfect combo of being challenging without requiring 100% attention so I can listen to podcasts and watch tv while I play. I recommend it assuming you enjoy pool.

I'm CzarTim on PSN. Send me a friend request if you want to exchange DNA
oh god why did they name it that

saunderez

This.

Because I really love Pool Nation, own it on X360 and Steam. Wondering of Pure Pool is worth adding to my Steam library alongside Pool Nation.
I think it will be once the bugs are ironed out. It looks fantastic and the physics are spot on, but right now, buggy as shit.

Sentenza

I think it will be once the bugs are ironed out. It looks fantastic and the physics are spot on, but right now, buggy as shit.
Then again, Pool Nation looks fantastic as well and the physics, as the controls, are fantastic too, so I'd like to know what this game does that the other doesn't, before considering a purchase of what could be redundant software.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just spent several hours playing this on PS4. It has it's quirks (camera, darkness, error messages) but it's damn addicting.

Can somebody please turn on the light that hangs over the pool table?

Why is the game so dark. Especially when I get to the 8 ball for the win. Who thought this was a good idea? Can't see shit cap'n.
Tried using a light baize color?

Snowballo

Got the game and I'm loving it.
But.... where is the chalk pool (dunno if it is the correct word) in the game!?
I cannot find a button for it. There was a button in Hustle Kings.

gesso.jpg

Jedi2016

You don't need to chalk the cue in this.
Some people would argue that IRL, but I've never missed it in a game.

Just played a few rounds. Menus definitely need some work. I was browsing around to see what the different options were and suddenly it's trying to find an online opponent for me, which caught me off guard. I wasn't looking to play online until I got a little better at the game and figuring out what's what. I lost, but at least it was close.

But man, is this game pretty. This is the kind of thing I've been waiting to see in a pool game since Real Pool on PS2.. nice and simple, and taking advantage of the simplicity to crank the lighting and shading up to 11. I think I'll be playing this one for a long time, especially if they can get the little nitpicks cleaned up.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Game is immensely more enjoyable once you turn off the royalty free butt-jazz and put on some proper music.

So I'm in the third round of the amateur cup, the last game which is a 5 game tournament. I'm playing against a pro(???) and they're almost impossible at my skill level. Why the fuck you face a pro in an amateur tournament is beyond me. Anyway, you miss one pot and you're basically done. Such bullshit.

Top Bottom