• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT| Pokemon + Bejeweled + Dungeon RPG on iOS/Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

OTIX

I am very much not ready for Valkyrie, but I still kinda sorta feel like I could have a decent shot at it. I just got a second echidna from the ancient dragon dungeon (I had 3 echidnas yesterday but I fed two to my main for a skillup before attempting Zeus). And if I work hard today I should be able to get my Zeus and Heras up to lvl 50 unevolved. The team would thus look like this:

Zeus
Echidna
Echidna
Hera
Hera
Zeus

Their stats won't be great but they will be decent. I'll need to spend stones on the mech since I won't have enough HP but he only attacks every 3 rounds so it shouldn't be too bad. With a delay for the demons and another delay plus quad gravity for Valk I feel that if I get past the mech with my skills charged up I should have a pretty good chance. Am I crazy?

Ancient Firedragon GET.

Had to burn a few stones as the game refused to give me heal orbs. Ran it with Shiva/Ripper/Echilada/Shairan/Phoenix/Shiva.

I don't get the paywall complaints with this game. It's a free game w/ IAP's....are you expecting their to NOT be a paywall? I actually find this game pretty forgiving as far as progressing w/o paying for anything.

Paying just makes things happen quicker, but doesn't give you anything you can't get through free stones.

Quantum

Are you scouting dungeons before you go into them, or just flying blind?

I generally fly blind - get beaten up then hit up the wiki - eventually doing the math.

I understanding that it could take weeks for me to level a team that would be able to challenge the current whiskey dragon (therefore missing the opportunity now) but getting antsy and wanting to progress faster tempting me to pay for additional stamina/runs to level my team.

I think my problem is that I really hate the pay to play system and (and have stated before) I would gladly pay sixty dollars for an offline version of this game that allowed me to grind for mobs at my own rate - not needing an online connection (which is not available to me at work - when I like to play) and not waiting on stamina after a really dumb run or bringing the wrong leader.

I also really dislike the gambling aspect - because my luck has always been kinda terrible.

maybe using the word paywall was incorrect and could be seen as inflammatory - I don't want to say that its not possible to progress, but the requirements to push through the later dungeons feel like a paywall to me and I end up restarting and playing the initial dungeons to rapidly expand my monster box and get a few rare pulls while sacrificing the accrued stamina and team cost.

I really believe that its the first step towards making "pay-to-play" more acceptable, and have seen it creeping into the mmorpgs I play - and I hate it.

After saying all that - I completely admit I'm addicted to puzzle and dragons and would like to support gungho but am conflicted about buying stones at 0.70-0.99 cents a pop to play on my terms.

Yaari

fJ0ZMae.png

Now I just need to get back to the usual Pengdra farming. Hope I can unlock Iris Hills tomorrow, apparently Dub Mythlit drops there.

I like the Zeus team, just need to target the lowest interval enemies first.

Anyone else running Zeus now, I have opened some more friend slots.

Ran out of plants. Still have 30 dragons. :(

Anyone have any luck with them dropping anywhere? I've tried Giants and Trials and nothing yet. Saw a few in Trials, but 0 drops.

I think you need more stones Yaari hahaha

daw840

Well. I've got five stones but I don't know if I should pull. Maybe I'll just wait for the next godfest. I've got a lot to level up.

MicH

So happy we are getting Metal Dragons again today (I think that's the first time I've ever said that!) as I desperately need to level my Dark Monsters. I managed to max out Hera yesterday (unevolved, need a Dark Divine Mask) and will be working on my other Hera and Vampire Lord. All in preparation for next time Zeus descends. I need to get him next time!

Also leveling my Demon Viper Orochi as a member of my dark team for Zeus. Is Echodna better?

Slottm

Neo Member
I generally fly blind - get beaten up then hit up the wiki - eventually doing the math.

I understanding that it could take weeks for me to level a team that would be able to challenge the current whiskey dragon (therefore missing the opportunity now) but getting antsy and wanting to progress faster tempting me to pay for additional stamina/runs to level my team.

I think my problem is that I really hate the pay to play system and (and have stated before) I would gladly pay sixty dollars for an offline version of this game that allowed me to grind for mobs at my own rate - not needing an online connection (which is not available to me at work - when I like to play) and not waiting on stamina after a really dumb run or bringing the wrong leader.

I also really dislike the gambling aspect - because my luck has always been kinda terrible.

maybe using the word paywall was incorrect and could be seen as inflammatory - I don't want to say that its not possible to progress, but the requirements to push through the later dungeons feel like a paywall to me and I end up restarting and playing the initial dungeons to rapidly expand my monster box and get a few rare pulls while sacrificing the accrued stamina and team cost.

I really believe that its the first step towards making "pay-to-play" more acceptable, and have seen it creeping into the mmorpgs I play - and I hate it.

After saying all that - I completely admit I'm addicted to puzzle and dragons and would like to support gungho but am conflicted about buying stones at 0.70-0.99 cents a pop to play on my terms.

Paying for this game really isn't necessary, there are enough options available even without a great starting monster, and gungho has given out well over 100 stones since I've started playing this game back in November - this doesn't even count dungeon clears or login bonuses for 30/100 days etc. It certainly helps, but as long as you keep a goal in mind and understand the general setup/flow of the game, most dungeons remain doable.

Just learned about this game via the 8-4 podcast. Man is this addicting (need more stamina!). So for starting out, is it best to have a team consisting of one of every orb type? Or should I just go with my highest attack powers? I'm rank 10 with a Drall, Vampire Lord, Tyran and a mix up goblins and carbuncles.

edit: whoa just got a super king gold dragon from a pal egg :)

Just learned about this game via the 8-4 podcast. Man is this addicting (need more stamina!). So for starting out, is it best to have a team consisting of one of every orb type? Or should I just go with my highest attack powers? I'm rank 10 with a Drall, Vampire Lord, Tyran and a mix up goblins and carbuncles.

edit: whoa just got a super king gold dragon from a pal egg :)

At the beginning it doesn't really matter. Once you hit Tower of Giants / Fire Forest Nerva it starts becoming important to specialize and that's when you have to look at your monster box and decide what you need to form a good team. Vampire Lord is a good Dark leader so you should keep an eye out for a dark team as you progress.

MicH

I just had absolutely HORRIBLE luck with Metal Dragons. 15 runs, 6 Kings. WTF? Did they somehow remove the 2x King Appearance? I am so disappointed :(

At the beginning it doesn't really matter. Once you hit Tower of Giants / Fire Forest Nerva it starts becoming important to specialize and that's when you have to look at your monster box and decide what you need to form a good team. Vampire Lord is a good Dark leader so you should keep an eye out for a dark team as you progress.

Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll just keep chugging on with what I got so far. Only good skill combos I've been able to do so far was with using Drall to turn all wood orbs to health and Vampire lord then turning them all to dark orbs. I can see this gaming getting much more complicated once I start unlocking more monsters.

Also thanks OP for the great intro, had no idea you can switch orbs like that, changes up the game quite a bit

MicH

I just had absolutely HORRIBLE luck with Metal Dragons. 15 runs, 6 Kings. WTF? Did they somehow remove the 2x King Appearance? I am so disappointed :(
I then proceed to pull a Sapphire King and an Emerald King from the Pal egg machine. Nice, but doesnt make up for the horrible Metal King rate :(

So close to evolve Hera (need Dark Divine Mask), Phoenix Knight (need 18 levels, Keeper of Flame and Fire Divine Mask) and Susano (need 6 levels and a Green Divine Mask).

I then only need to evolve Gigas, Siegfried, the Blue Champion and Cu Chulainn, the Green Spearman to have completely evolved my mono color tems (not counting Dark)

ToxicAdam

Did the master sky dragon board and got my first Lilith and the sky dragon on the first try.

That sky dragon was kind of hard for me, had to bring damage reducer, encinda and two Sirens to get by it. I was able to orb switch and delay just enough to survive.

I then proceed to pull a Sapphire King and an Emerald King from the Pal egg machine. Nice, but doesnt make up for the horrible Metal King rate :(

So close to evolve Hera (need Dark Divine Mask), Phoenix Knight (need 18 levels, Keeper of Flame and Fire Divine Mask) and Susano (need 6 levels and a Green Divine Mask).

I then only need to evolve Gigas, Siegfried, the Blue Champion and Cu Chulainn, the Green Spearman to have completely evolved my mono color tems (not counting Dark)

hope they fix it for the 7pm hour! I'll let you know how the rate is then :D

J0dy77

Saved stamina all day for metal dragon runs. 1 F'ing King metal out of 5 runs. I'm so sick of my shitty luck with these metal dungeons. They have to add a more efficient way to level your monsters. Such a huge waste of time and not remotely fun burning all of your stamina in 5-10 minutes for a total crap shoot.

Long day, really frustrated.

MicH

hope they fix it for the 7pm hour! I'll let you know how the rate is then :D
I have mine coming up in ~30 minutes, and I'm 400 exp from ranking up, so I'll see then

Saved stamina all day for metal dragon runs. 1 F'ing King metal out of 5 runs. I'm so sick of my shitty luck with these metal dungeons. They have to add a more efficient way to level your monsters. Such a huge waste of time and not remotely fun burning all of your stamina in 5-10 minutes for a total crap shoot.

God damn it. I don't think there's a 2x King apperance anymore :(

However, I have had great luck with the Knights in the Castle of Satan dungeons. Two Ice Knights today in less than 7 runs! One skillup (my first...). Oh well, better than nothing, I suppose

Ashodin

Sorry bro

I just caught my metals, got near rank up, hit up Dragons of the Tower, and I can do three more runs, yeahhhh

EDIT: For science, I am also not getting 2x appearance rate (for reference, yesterday I got four or five kings when I caught the metals as well, which was like once or twice)

daw840

Well. I did something I have never done. I spent 4 stones to clea the dark dragon special dungeon because I though I got a Lilith but it was a sucubus. Was that wise?

MicH

Well. I did something I have never done. I spent 4 stones to clea the dark dragon special dungeon because I though I got a Lilith but it was a sucubus. Was that wise?
Succubus evolves into Lillith and her poison can be very useful. You often need poison to beat certain enemies with very high defense (such as Neptune in Ocean of Heaven). Defeating Divine Masks (Wednesday Dungeon) and Dublits (Friday dungeon), who all have very high defense and very low HP, can also easily be done with Succubus and her poison.

Wherether it was wise to use 4 stones to get her, that is up to you. It's certainly better than using 5 stones to get her from the Rare egg machine and she is quite a rare drop from other dungeons.

J0dy77

Lilith is a farmable mob but she's more rare and with Sky dragon dark going away it might be a month or so before another dark dragon dungeon cycles it's way into the special dungeons. There are definitely worse ways to spend stones.

I don't know how many Master Sky Dragon runs I did, but I did enough to get 7 Sky Dragons, and I still haven't come across a Cerberus. I did see a MDK once, but it didn't drop. At least the Sky Dragons give over 25K feeder exp.

MicH

Just as I complain...

p9yVl7Gl.png

6 Kings in 4 runs :D

EDIT: And then I get a GREAT! while feeding my Vampire Lord 4 Kings.. OH HELL YEAH :D

OTIX

keep at it. save combos and abilities for near the end!
There's nothing to save, you have to use echidna right away or else she makes herself immune to delay. So you use all gravity skills and then you have four rounds to kill her or else she heals and you have to quit.

That really sucks.. was it difficult to get up there to Stage 5?
Not too bad, one stone on mech and six on demons but only because I got ridiculously unlucky on orbs. I'm going one more time and expect fewer stones this time.

MicH

YES! YES! YES! YES!

YES! YES! YES! YES!

OH F U! #$*$%&
Not sure if this is a joke or not, but boss-Knights do not drop in any dungeon. They are only farmable during this event where they can randomly show up in the Castle of Satan dungeons (ends at midnight)

massoluk

Banned
Not sure if this is a joke or not, but boss-Knights do not drop in any dungeon. They are only farmable during this event where they can randomly show up in the Castle of Satan dungeons (ends at midnight)
Nah I'm just dumb. :p. Spent way too much time on not getting anything from Castle of Satan.

Shoyz

"5. Back your data up regularly on iTunes/iCloud/whatever. The game has no login system; your account credentials are stored in the app itself"

But why..

"You need 66.63 MB more capacity on your device."

But WHY.

It ignores my SD card and if I don't have 66MB I can't even play it?

Ashodin

Alright. I just got like 5 lil black dragons. Will they skill up my CDD?

Nope. They have to be the same skill to be able to level them up. Meaning, you have to level them to CDD level every time for even a chance at skilling up. Some other monsters share skills regardless of evolution, so it's easier to skill them up.

daw840

Nope. They have to be the same skill to be able to level them up. Meaning, you have to level them to CDD level every time for even a chance at skilling up. Some other monsters share skills regardless of evolution, so it's easier to skill them up.
Well that's not happening. Lol

I have mine coming up in ~30 minutes, and I'm 400 exp from ranking up, so I'll see then

God damn it. I don't think there's a 2x King apperance anymore :(

However, I have had great luck with the Knights in the Castle of Satan dungeons. Two Ice Knights today in less than 7 runs! One skillup (my first...). Oh well, better than nothing, I suppose

Same here guys. 2 in 6 runs. Didn't even bother using a stone for stamina. Shame it goes to hell on the last day. Rest of the week was REALLY good (about 1king/run). Hopefully they pop these events up more often or give us a better way to lvl up

Shoyz

Is the rare egg when you finish the tutorial random or do you always get Cupid? Just curious if I should start over to try and get a nice one, since I imagine the currency is rare.

OTIX

And Valkyrie heals up from a sliver of health yet again, six stones this time. Oh well, I knew I wasn't ready. If I only had a few more days to level up these brand new monsters. I don't even mind about the stones, it feels much worse to spend them pulling golems and fairlios. Actually I wish there were a lot more of these descended dungeons, they're probably my favourite part of the game so far.

Next time, Valkyrie! *shakefist*

Edit:
Is the rare egg when you finish the tutorial random or do you always get Cupid? Just curious if I should start over to try and get a nice one, since I imagine the currency is rare.
It's random, and yes it's probably a good idea to restart until you get something better. There's a section on this in the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom