• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Puzzle & Dragons |OT3| Come for the rolls, stay for the trolls

putermcgee

Its called fusion, I'm not sure which game was the first to use it or call it that.

But that is pretty much it, taking one card and using unwanted cards or special cards to fuse with it for exp or special power/skill up.
That works for me, thanks!

Got my first Devilit, now do I use it on my D/R Baku and change him to D/D or do I use it on my D/D Luci and change him to D/F for the 2,5 attk 2 rcv (mini Ronia) for super quick farming ?

Can clear quite a lot of descend s with my Haku team
Long term, D/D Byakko is the way to go. Do you have a good farming team without D/F Luci?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Force active skill is strong but that is the type of skill for the classic stall teams, the cool down is to long for the most end game stuff and his skill up "Ancient Blue Sacred Mask" is annoying to get. I would not abandon Echidna for him.

Thanks man :)
And evolved her today, now i have Empress of Serpents, Echidna - nice.
Also evolved Vampire to Vampire Lord, my next Goal is to evolve Persephone.

btw. I rolled the other day and got Zhuge Liang, Amon and Astroth.

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=1372

He seems like a powerful leader, would it be wise to start a team around him ?Only thing that is scary how much he costs once he is evolved. And he seem useless if you are attacking at full power, dont know if i would like to play like that.

Abou Amon and Astroth :

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=632
http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=634

which one should i level/focus on for a U&Y team or a general Green team ? Their specs are similar, i think i will go for Astaroth - also because i like the art better (lol).

Edit:

Also know i know that Ronia stand for Red Sonia lol - and she seems crazy powerful, used a friends version and after you activate her skil.....damn.

Uthred

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/monster.asp?n=1372

He seems like a powerful leader, would it be wise to start a team around him ?Only thing that is scary how much he costs once he is evolved. And he seem useless if you are attacking at full power, dont know if i would like to play like that.

Zhuge Liang is a good leader but relies rather heavily on REM exclusive subs to be truly viable for endgame stuff

Ducarmel

Sleeping Dragon, Zhuge Liang is just as strong as any of the top tier gods and pretty easy to play. The only problem is getting his ideal subs (attacker green) for maximum potential damage. Even with out his best subs he is still good to go with mono green team build.

I know you have said you have a hard time using U&Y but if you have decent green monsters I would not blame you for benching U&Y for an easier team to play with.

guides
http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=55502
http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=59698

I actually want one on my main as I started to realize how many green cards i have and I even have Marine Rider and Sasuke. I have him on my alternate account smbu2000 generously gave to me edit: actually my alternate just needs a lot of work It does have attacker Astroth and Liu Bei.

Amon and Astroth are both great subs I guess it would depend on the dungeon your in to decide which one you want to use. The problem with them as subs is the long cd 20 to start with max skilled they are slightly useful orb changers.

You actually missed the dungeon to skill up Astroth and who knows when GungHo Collab will return for Amon skill up.

cw_sasuke

Zhuge Liang is a good leader but relies rather heavily on REM exclusive subs to be truly viable for endgame stuff

Alright, thanks - though when exactly does endgame stuff begins ? At a specific rank or dungeons ? I often hear the differentiation between mid or endgame, without even knowing at which point or how long you would need to play to reach these goals.

Sleeping Dragon, Zhuge Liang is just as strong as any of the top tier gods and pretty easy to play. The only problem is getting his ideal subs (attacker green) for maximum potential damage. Even with out his best subs he is still good to go with mono green team build.

I know you have said you have a hard time using U&Y but if you have decent green monsters I would not blame you for benching U&Y for an easier team to play with.

guides
http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=55502
http://puzzleanddragonsforum.com/showthread.php?tid=59698

I actually want one on my main as I started to realize how many green cards i have and I even have Marine Rider and Sasuke. I have him on my alternate account smbu2000 generously gave to me but hardly any ideal subs or friends to use him consistently with.

Amon and Astroth are both great subs I guess it would depend on the dungeon your in to decide which one you want to use. The problem with them as subs is the long cd 20 to start with max skilled they are slightly useful orb changers.

You actually missed the dungeon to skill up Astroth and who knows when GungHo Collab will return for Amon skill up.

Great, thank i will look into those guides. I also have Marine Rider, would be a nice one to put in such a team as well.

Yeah i have a hard time using U&Y, but i have learned to appreciate my team and him as a leader. Often the problem is just reaching the final floor, once im there and can activate my skill im in love again.

But as said before i also started a Mono dark team and playing it is just way easier and relaxing.

About the two subs, didnt even realize the long cool down, probably because i thought the skill were shit to begin with. Are those active skills useful/powerful right now or later on ?

Dungeon to skill up Astroth ?Which one was it ? Man thats one thing i hate about the game, there are all these special and extra dungeons and you never really know what the dungeon is about or how difficult it will be.

I need to look for a list that included all dungeon names, their monster and for which skill ups they are useful. And i hope we get new Tamadras soon because i just now realized that they are used to unlock those greyed out skills. For example i dont have a single ability unlocked for my leader U&Y.

Uthred

Alright, thanks - though when exactly does endgame stuff begins ? At a specific rank or dungeons ? I often hear the differentiation between mid or endgame, without even knowing at which point or how long you would need to play to reach these goals.

I suppoe in general endgame is being able to zero (or at least very low) stone the harder descends on mythical (though the difficulty here can be a little nebulous as some descends are simply easier than others and some are easier for some teams than others). You could probably also bundle in the Mythical weekday dungeons and the last few levels of the normal and technical dungeons. If anyone cared you could probably put the mythical difficulty of the various dragon dungeons in here, but as its something of a running joke how uesless dragons are in the game Im not sure you should bother ;)

In many ways PAD has the same endgame as most loot games, you get to the endgame so you can farm the endgame to be slightly better at the endgame.

"Endgame" is a pretty arbitrary label but I'd say you've reached it when you are capable of doing Legend difficulty dungeons and up. For normal dungeon progression, endgame would start around the time you reach Starlight Sanctuary IMO. Rankwise, you'll probably reach endgame level content around rank 100.

Great, thank i will look into those guides. I also have Marine Rider, would be a nice one to put in such a team as well.
*high five* Glad you got some good things from godfest. I have a Zhuge and Marine Rider as well so I'll be working on putting a team together with those two in the near future.

About the two subs, didnt even realize the long cool down, probably because i thought the skill were shit to begin with. Are those active skills useful/powerful right now or later on ?
Orb change actives are usually pretty useful, especially if they are unique. Amon's orb change is essentially half of U/Y's so that may not be too useful for a U/Y team. Astaroth's orb change is identical to Ancient Dragon Knight's but you're getting better stats/awakenings from Astaroth. Again, whether it's good or not will depend on the team since some teams (like Zhuge Liang or even U/Y) might prefer ADK's two-prong-attack to Astaroth's row enhances.

What's the current consensus on Bastet? Her healer uvo would be a good fit on a healer U&Y team, but her devil version could be a really fun leader. Not sure which way I'm gonna go with her yet.

I tend to think of mid game as starting around when you unlock tech dungeons and including normal dungeons through Ocean of Heaven, master level biweekly dungeons, and maybe Hera and Two Heroes.

Late game would be T6 and higher on normals, and Legend level biweeklies and descends. Endgame is mythical content, legendary earth/seaway, fagan's dungeon, etc. That's how I would break up the content anyway.

^that late game vs end game distinction actually sounds better than what I said

What's the current consensus on Bastet? Her healer uvo would be a good fit on a healer U&Y team, but her devil version could be a really fun leader. Not sure which way I'm gonna go with her yet.
I'll probably go with the devil version for the better leader skill. Using the healer version on a green-heavy U/Y team could be interesting. But unless you're taking benefit of that buffed active, there are better subs for U/Y, I bet.

smbu2000

I actually want one on my main as I started to realize how many green cards i have and I even have Marine Rider and Sasuke. I have him on my alternate account smbu2000 generously gave to me edit: actually my alternate just needs a lot of work It does have attacker Astroth and Liu Bei.

Yes, the 20 turns to start takes awhile. I leveled up the Amon this past Gung Ho collab(with the penguin monsters) to level 7 so it's not as bad. I had pulled 2 Astaroths which is why I did both of their Evos.

On my main account I'm doing the same thing with my Anubis to try and level him up. Only up to 6 at the moment though.

Just max skilled the Parvati on my main account. Forgot I had one on my ipad account though so will have to work on that when the collab comes around again.

New Survey dungeon is going to be light chasers? Yes! I skilled up my ipad LMeta one level with the 3 I had from this past light dungeon, hope I can pick up a lot when it comes around. Neneko is good for those who have Hatsume (I don't have one anymore :p )

Quantum

No, I mean like a name for that specific mechanic. Several other games have it, but this and Destiny of Spirits on the Vita are the only two I play that do it. Spider-Man Unlimited on iOS has it too, but you also level up my just playing.

I was being a little tongue in cheek due to my own shitty luck in the game recently

I mean the way your characters don't gain experience through battling, but only through merging/absorbing other character cards

I would think that the merging/absorbing mechanic is certainly influence by games in the Shin Megami Tensei family.

SMT games have for the most part always had demon fusions with outcomes that you could design.

direct evolution? maybe Pokemon genre as well.

As for a specific name for the category I can't think of one - although it certainly is shoe horned into 'RPG'

I hope that this game does something to make itself fun again. I took a step back yesterday and realized that its been about 2 months straight where I have been trying to skill up a number of cards without actually enjoying the game. this has become a treadmill and a job - who gives a shit if I can level multiple teams if I have nothing to do with them.

cw_sasuke

Okay thanks guys, i know have a better understanding about the mid and endgame definitions, will be useful in the future.

I think i will start a list for of my monsters and their skills and write down all the dungeons, where you can find monsters with the same skills for skill ups. Kinda ridiculous how complex PaD can be :eek:

I will soon have 50 Stamina points, wondering what kind of dungeons will open up.

Whats the best spot to get/farm ? Succubus or Lilith ? Never encountered her once in Castle of Satan dungeons.

@Little Green Yoda

Thanks, glad to hear that you are starting a similar team keep me/us posted on you progress.

I find that taking short breaks from the game every once in a while helps deal with PAD burnout. I discovered Monster Strike and Dragon Poker during those times which helped give me a different perspective about PAD. Terra Battle and English Monstrike are both things right now or soon so there are lots of quality alternatives.

Also I think various Dragon Quest games or spinoffs also had the monster cannibalism mechanic, but SMT seems like it did it first.

Quantum

I find that taking short breaks from the game every once in a while helps deal with PAD burnout. I discovered Monster Strike and Dragon Poker during those times which helped give me a different perspective about PAD. Terra Battle and English Monstrike are both things right now or soon so there are lots of quality alternatives.

Also I think various Dragon Quest games or spinoffs also had the monster cannibalism mechanic, but SMT seems like it did it first.

I've rotated mmorpgs long enough to know that I have to find an alternative game to keep me entertained - with EVE I could set skills to train and go play something else for awhile - with PAD I don't want to "waste" stamina - obviously a great mechanic to get people to connect at least once a day but contributes to burnout.

I am excited for Monster Strike.

Terra Battle - I wish I liked it more. I think its a beautiful game, the music is fantastic but I find the mechanics frustratingly clunky. With PAD I can path in my mind and then move fluidly setting up cascades with the infrequent random mistake - with terra battle I find the movement phase terribly clunky and the 5 battles entirely too long (generally because the icons wont sweep where I want them).

in addition, I don't like that I have to sandwich or link my attackers and the enemy can both individually attack me and sandwich me. The enemy can also move my cards when it wants to but I can't move them during my set up phase.

Doctor who legacy - I definitely want to throw props to this game even though its almost a direct clone of PAD.
1) you can't pull the same card twice (to my knowledge)
2) you can customize the orbs you play with
3) there is NO stamina - only thing that limits progression is your ability to level/beat boards.

the main negative - it updates all the time and each update takes forever (really grating)

Okamid3n

I rolled the Pink Rem today for the first time.

Gold egg, neat! Probably an evolved healer girl---

Or Blue Meta. That works too. I'll take it.

Uthred

Okay thanks guys, i know have a better understanding about the mid and endgame definitions, will be useful in the future.

I think i will start a list for of my monsters and their skills and write down all the dungeons, where you can find monsters with the same skills for skill ups. Kinda ridiculous how complex PaD can be :eek:

While it doesnt do quite what you want https://www.padherder.com/ is an excellent tool to help organise your PAD plans, the larger your box the more useful it becomes I find.

I rolled the Pink Rem today for the first time.

Gold egg, neat! Probably an evolved healer girl---

Or Blue Meta. That works too. I'll take it.
Congrats on being one in like a thousand, I've heard stories of people throwing hundreds of dollars at the pink demon and failing

putermcgee

I was being a little tongue in cheek due to my own shitty luck in the game recently

I would think that the merging/absorbing mechanic is certainly influence by games in the Shin Megami Tensei family.

SMT games have for the most part always had demon fusions with outcomes that you could design.

direct evolution? maybe Pokemon genre as well.

As for a specific name for the category I can't think of one - although it certainly is shoe horned into 'RPG'

I hope that this game does something to make itself fun again. I took a step back yesterday and realized that its been about 2 months straight where I have been trying to skill up a number of cards without actually enjoying the game. this has become a treadmill and a job - who gives a shit if I can level multiple teams if I have nothing to do with them.
Someone above called it fusion, and that sounds reasonable enough. I know games like SMT had a fusion mechanic of sorts, but I feel like the way F2P games have taken that formula and massaged it into something that revolves around a gacha system that rewards paying over playing is a relatively new thing.

In other words, I would say PAD and Destiny of Spirits rely exclusively on a fusion mechanic to improve your characters, whereas Spider-Man Unlimited allows you to level up your characters by both playing and through fusion. Then you have Terra Battle, which focuses on traditional RPG leveling up mechanics where you gain experience through battling. I think I'm done playing games with fusion-exclusive progression.

I'm with you on the game needing something new/fun. I got over 100 logins, and after looking at how I played the game, I found that I wasn't having a lot of fun anymore. I think the problem was that I don't feel myself getting better, and unless I want to obsess over it, looking up wiki info and reading threads like these, I have no idea how to improve.

Quantum

I'm with you on the game needing something new/fun. I got over 100 logins, and after looking at how I played the game, I found that I wasn't having a lot of fun anymore. I think the problem was that I don't feel myself getting better, and unless I want to obsess over it, looking up wiki info and reading threads like these, I have no idea how to improve.

I really enjoy the game, and have supported it.

I like to look up the wikis and try to create teams.

there is no "end game" and you never really improve to the point where you aren't feeding the system. you get better and make stronger teams, but you still fail a bunch - waste stamina trying new things.

- if you level all of your team cards/mobs to 99 - you can them start adding + eggs
- if you clear a decend and get the drop - you can then skill up that drop by running the dungeon hundreds of times
- if you level up, skill up and plus egg a team - you can then start a second team to play the game a different way.

- the game feeds itself - you spend money to pull from he REM, you pull cards that need a huge amount of experience, skill ups and + eggs to be functional - and the stamina regen starts to feel too slow as you expand the number of cards you have because you need more experience.

make no mistakes the game is designed to take advantage of a very specific type of person. there is no completion, and, when everyone starts to use the same mobs - a few new are released that change the dynamic of the game significantly.

I am definitely addicted to the game, and I'm not sure what they can do to feed my desire to level and try new teams because I'm doing the math and realizing that there is no way short of spending another grand or two that I'm going to get anything like the set-ups I'd like. Knowing that has kept my spending within a range that I feel comfortable with, but I understand directly how it can be a trap/poison to a lot of players.

there was a great article I read about this type of a game - I'll have to find it - psychologically it sets you up to spend a ton - then - you realize you need to spend a ton more to get where you want to be - since you've spent money on developing a team or goal you assign significant value to your "investment" and end up spending even more.

edit: the game is functional on an non-IAP basis, but its really a screening tool for 'whales' imho.

A lot of people were hoping PADW was going to be the "something different" but it felt kinda shallow to me. Or at least the game doesn't start getting interesting until later.

What happened to that dungeon that you create and your friends can battle through? It was announced awhile back has it come out in japan yet?

zoku88

For whatever reason, like all three of my GZL friends stopped using him. Now I'm stuck mainly using cao cao as my friend leader.

Not yet; that stuff was only announced like last week no?

Like a month or so ago wasn't it? don't remember.

I'm really interested in this mode and how it works. Hope they let you structure it like real dungeons where the first you can pick 3-5 lower star monsters etc and that you can only use your own.

Some weirdly typed stuff getting previewed on Twitter:

B0mwnwDCUAAgTZR.png:small

AS: 30x ATK to one enemy plus 2.5x to Attackers for one turn
LS: 2/2/1 to Attackers

B0mzAw_CYAAd4Ot.png:small

AS: 30x ATK to one enemy plus 2.5 to Healers for one turn
LS: 2/2/1 to Healer

Some weirdly typed stuff getting previewed on Twitter:

B0mwnwDCUAAgTZR.png:small

AS: 30x ATK to one enemy plus 2.5x to Attackers for one turn
LS: 2/2/1 to Attackers

B0mzAw_CYAAd4Ot.png:small

AS: 30x ATK to one enemy plus 2.5 to Healers for one turn
LS: 2/2/1 to Healer

Give me a dark one for Devils since I don't have a Lu bu.

edit: Please tell me this is him...
B0d3MFPCQAAWd5l.jpg

razterik

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/en/news.asp?nid=172

2.5x to Gods? Izanagi getting shat on even more. I guess he'll still be useful in Athena teams, maybe.

Attacker, healer, and balanced ones crush the respective slimes, if you use them. Physical is off color and one less skill boost compared to Bubblie. Might be good for Okuni depending on where his ultimate goes. No RCV, though.

PSA for anyone planning Gryps skill ups with Angry Birds Epic. Start now. The evolved drop is rare as hell and the unevo drop doesn't seem very common either.

Starry View today for plus egg hunters.

Quantum

I have a question, I have had a history with gungho support in the past so I really don't want to screw this up.

I have previously transfered my data from IOS to ANDROID.

As it so happens I just switched from ANDROID back to IOS on my main device (the camera started to fail on my HTC one M7)

has anyone had problems transferring to an Iphone 6 from an android device? I wont receive the phone for a few days, but I'd like to know if there are going to be any issues prior to submitting for a device change code.

The new knights look pretty nice. The healer and god versions would both go well with U&Y and DQXQ. It's weird that they basically have the same skill as Lu Bu minus the huge HP hit. Not sure how I feel about that.

ZeroAKA

If I want to play the same account on multiple iOS devices, can I just back up and copy those two data files to the new device? My account won't get banned or anything, right?

Same question goes for Monster Strike since there isn't an OT for it yet.

Ducarmel

You can, I did it for a while when I could not use my ipad for a while. I did notice a glitch when I used both devices around the same time. One device was behind so I notice when i did a dungeon I got a huge amount of exp and loss of stamina to correct itself.

I have read the chances for bugs/errors and even corruption of your game data on the server side can increase. So ymmv.

Once I got the ipad back I did not bother to let the server update it, I just copied the files from my iphone to the ipad to be safe.

Did not know monster strike came out today! Reroll mode!

Taz

Long term, D/D Byakko is the way to go. Do you have a good farming team without D/F Luci?

I do but it's more of a grind hp tank team and I can't stand farming with it. Think I'll go with D/F Luci for the fact that my Haku team is doing a lot of descents on Legendary.

Top Bottom