• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PvZ Garden Warfare PS4/PS3 |OT| Over-Delivering On Value

Just to clarify, I'm the lead designer on Garden Warfare. Without getting into specifics, I'd suggest that you've been given some bad information.

That aside, if any of you are on the fence, or if you want to check out the new content we released yesterday on Xbox/PC, our creative director and I will be livestreaming this afternoon at 3:00PM:

http://www.twitch.tv/plantsversuszombies/

Come check it out!
Oh.. Why hello there you wonderful person you. Because anyone who worked on PvZ Garden Warfare has to be a wonderful person :]

Really, you guys are doing a phenomenal job with this game.

ElNino

Love the game on X1, although I haven't been able to play nearly as much as I would like.

For those who have kids, it is also a good game to let them try online multiplayer. My 7 year old loves it and actually does pretty well most of the time. The only thing I don't like about it (which has been mentioned already) is that when playing co-op, only the primary profile gets credit for playing.

Jomjom

Banned
This game looks interesting I think I'll get it when it hits the bargain bin at around $5 or $10. Thing about delaying a game so long is that it conditions me into feeling that I can wait for the game since I'm no longer able to participate in the launch week discussion and hype about the game.

ElNino

This game looks interesting I think I'll get it when it hits the bargain bin at around $5 or $10. Thing about delaying a game so long is that it conditions me into feeling that I can wait for the game since I'm no longer able to participate in the launch week discussion and hype about the game.
That's a pretty substantial discount for a $40 game. I would think you would be more likely to grab this game on PS+/GwG/EA Access than you would in a bargain bin.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Just for everyone who's unsure about this I can just relate my own experience. I don't really care about Popcap games (apart from Peggle which is godlike) that much and I'm not much interested in the original Plants vs Zombies games.

This however is very likely my multiplayer GOTY (so far) and I enjoy it a lot more than even games like Titanfall.

If you're fed up with shooters being the standard fare this really is a breath of fresh air. It's quirky, silly, inventive, got a real sense of fun and most of all the DLC is free. Now you would think 'DLC free, what the fuck are EA up to ?' but the only thing monetised are the coins you can buy to open sticker packs. These give you customisation bits, parts for new characters etc. However you earn this in game and can easily within a few matches have coins for even the most expensive packs. I am genuinely surprised tbh, because I thought they would take the piss but it's been handled brilliantly.

The other thing as well is that it's much deeper and strategic than people give it credit for. Now I'm not going to say it's a super deep tactical shooter or anything daft like that, but just the various abilities and the character types how to use these different characters etc. Don't let the appearances fool you, they fooled me tbh. It's not as mindless as it looks. I was reluctant to pick it up initially but decided to get the PC version cheap on Origin, best decision I made :) Now I'll probably double dip for the PS4 version on payday as well. It's also incredibly active on PC, any game mode at anytime, gets you into a game within 5 - 10secs. It's VERY popular. To be honest I've had a much tougher time getting Titanfall matches!

It's a damn great game. Don't overlook it, especially if you want a shooter with a bit of actual personality and silliness.

madmackem

Its so good im rebuying it for my ps4, looking forward to the slight res bump make that art style pop even more than it does on my xbox1.

-MD-

C-jo for the love of god reduce Chomper's animation times to bring him up to par with other classes.

His animation times in addition to a snare are brutal.

yeah still nothing up on the uk ps4 store, is it a us only pre order or waht, cant seem to find anything google wise. anyone got info for when it should be up on uk store.

p3tran

Banned
thanks

Not buying it if that's the case. When their servers shut down and they will it's useless....

Fuck this DRM in disguise. I can't believe GAF is putting up with this always online bullshit.

dude! go have a cold shower, then fuckin' preorder!

I find myself pleasently surprised by how well this game is being handled.

Great price, great post launch support, and plenty of room to grow. I really enjoy the pace and sheer volume of unlocks.

Plus, it's fun as hell. It's my absolute favorite "filler" game of this generation. I always end up playing it longer than I intend. "Just one more match..."

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
This. I'll pass.

When will people stop with this crap? Are you really gonna want to play this game like 3 years or more down the line when they supposedly shut down the servers or when tons of new games are released? Are you gonna pass on several other great games (like Destiny for example) because you have to be online to play? This is where games are headed (at least multiplayer ones) and in the end you get much more gaming time out of a game like this than a 8-10 hour single player experience with no replayability. This is not forced DRM, just the way multiplayer games work.

Also, the only mode you can play locally is the least interesting of the bunch anyway!

vypek

Same here, we should party up if you get it.

Sounds good. My PSN is the same as my username. As soon as I get it I plan to pop it in and play. Should arrive on Tuesday. Amazon hasn't let me down so far on delivery

thanks

Not buying it if that's the case. When their servers shut down and they will it's useless....

Fuck this DRM in disguise. I can't believe GAF is putting up with this always online bullshit.

This. I'll pass.

I'm more willing for this because the game is relatively cheap and comes with free stuff and free DLC. It seems that the playerbase on the other systems is still good so I am skeptical the servers will get shut down quickly. I'm okay with supporting the people behind Garden Warfare. But I did think you could play offline if it was just co-op splitscreen. And from what I have heard, the true charm is the MP. Going against AI seems to be not as good

EDIT: So how long would the servers have to be up for you guys to buy it? Or do you absolutely need a campaign for it to be a worthy purchase?

TargetDummy81

Neo Member
I am not exactly the best when it comes to online shooters but it did catch my interest due to reminding me of Team Fortress along with the quirky humor.

Sure it will be a fun game to come back to also when things are slow release wise and the option to remote play it on the Vita while my son watches cartoons.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Can anyone spare a link to an in depth analysis of the monetization in this game?
I skimmed through the original OT and couldn't find anything quickly. I also didn't read much into that Games Journalism article that talked about it a few months back.

maneil99

Can anyone spare a link to an in depth analysis of the monetization in this game?
I skimmed through the original OT and couldn't find anything quickly. I also didn't read much into that Games Journalism article that talked about it a few months back.

In the OT

I was superhyped for this game when it was revealed. But now honestly too much time has passed and my hype is deflated. Maybe when it hits PS+ or is discounted heavily.

Poor choice for a timed exclusive, EA.

vypek

I was superhyped for this game when it was revealed. But now honestly too much time has passed and my hype is deflated. Maybe when it hits PS+ or is discounted heavily.

Watch some gameplay and build your hype again :)

Im guessing it will be a while before it ends up on PS+ but I'm guessing (hoping) the community it still strong

TransTrender

Gold Member
In the OT

Referring to this?

In everything you do in GW, you get rewarded with coins to spend on sticker packs. Sticker pack vary according to what the rarity of the stickers inside are.

Stickers contain cosmetic item, bonus characters, abilities and boosts to your GW characters.

Micro transactions are in the game, but the Xbox community has been quite vocal as to the fairness of it. You can easily attain a good consistency of coins to spend in the sticker shop via normal play.
Wholly insufficient.

First thing that comes to mind is the Warframe model but I doubt PvZ is this deep:
http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Mods_2.0

Megatron

Yeah, wait for the community to die down so there's no one to play with. That's a strategy, I guess.
I passed on this a few weeks ago for $24.99 on XBL because I valued the newer, healthier community over saving a few dollars.

low-G

Willpower depleted, preordered for PS4 (skipped the X1 version). (considering split screen mode contributed highly to this decision)

USC-fan

Banned

Yep. Really do not like this trend of time exclusive games and will not support it.

Hope the game bombs and send a clear message this is a bad idea.

Bodom78

Bought this on the XBone when it was on sale because of GAF's praise and I must say it's the most enjoyable multiplayer game I have experienced in a long long time.

-MD-

The only monetization in the game are in the form of sticker packs which you earn by playing the game.

You can spend money on coins to buy said sticker packs. 200k coins is something like $9.99, I've earned about 3.6 million coins by playing the game normally for 70 hours.

Stickers unlock character variations and cosmetics so you're spending money to unlock easily obtainable character variations and cosmetics slightly quicker than by just simply playing the game, nothing in the game cannot be earned for free.

vypek

Yep. Really do not like this trend of time exclusive games and will not support it.

Hope the game bombs and send a clear message this is a bad idea.

I don't think that will send a message. It will probably take more than that to stop them from doing timed exclusives. I feel (and hope) this game will do well on PS4/PS3 systems anyways.

SiDCrAzY

Almost bought an Xbox One for this game, so happy it's coming to the PS4. Already have it preordered digitally, I have a feeling this is the type of game I will want on my PS4 at all times.

Might be my new go to multiplayer game like Fat Princess was for the PS3.

dorkimoe

anyone on the fence for this game, just go for it!

I didnt know anything about it and honestly thought it looked dumb when it was first shown at E3, Picked it up on xbox one and then on pc, its GREAT. There were server issues on xbox one, not sure if those were fixed hopefully ps4/3 dont suffer from that. But other than that, the multiplayer is so fun

nullpoynter

Almost bought an Xbox One for this game, so happy it's coming to the PS4. Already have it preordered digitally, I have a feeling this is the type of game I will want on my PS4 at all times.

Might be my new go to multiplayer game like Fat Princess was for the PS3.

I'm thinking the digital version may be the way to go too. This game is pretty much online all the time anyway, isn't it? It will be nice to fire up a quick match without having to switch discs.

adin75

Still on the fence with this one, I guess it will come down to how many of my friends pick it up.

Looks pretty fun though, a nice change from the usual gritty war shooters we get.

If it's up there in the Timesplitters fun level I may just grab it anyway.

This is the only reason why I bought an xbox. When I saw the reveal I was so stocked but then bummed out it was timed. Then I thought titanfall is coming out as well, so I bought the xbox. For me this is my mp of the year hands down.

I can't play first person shooters anymore. They just bore me.

BUT

This was one of two games that, for some reason, tempted me to buy an Xbone. Gonna pre-order and pre-load Sunday with what's left of my Target buy-back sale money.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, I thought it was confirmed that PS4 would get the previously-exclusive 4 player splitscreen that the X1 version had?

Top Bottom