• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

The problem are people seeing Jeff's score on MC and then go to Giant Bomb/Twitter to bitch about the score.
so, they take issue with the fact that it counts on mc? or with the review itself?

either way...if people actually read his review, not just looked at the score, and disagreed with it, then fuck it. get passed it and move on. get the game if you want, if you were really excited for it before then bad press shouldn't dictate your entire decision

Introvese

Banned
I don't get the dislike of metacritc. I read the reviews not just look at the score. Even the good reviews are saying the gameplay and story is iffy.

Metacritc is batting damn near perfect to me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
78 is definitely a 'think twice' score imo, i don't have a lot of money and i want to ensure i'm only buying the best

so, they take issue with the fact that it counts on mc? or with the review itself?

either way...if people actually read his review, not just looked at the score, and disagreed with it, then fuck it. get passed it and move on. get the game if you want, if you were really excited for it before then bad press shouldn't dictate your entire decision
It's mostly the score. They see the score and there automatically dismissing.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Good God these reviews are all over the place..think I'll wait for some GAF impressions.

leeh

78 is definitely a 'think twice' score imo, i don't have a lot of money and i want to ensure i'm only buying the best
What's sad is that consumers place to much reliance on reviews and they can't think for themselves to whether or not a game would interest them based on the masses of gameplay and previews available.

megalowho

What's sad is that consumers place to much reliance on reviews and they can't think for themselves to whether or not a game would interest them based on the masses of gameplay and previews available.
It's not the same as hearing from someone who's played through the game and doesn't have a vested interest in its success if you're legitimately weighing a purchasing decision. You could easily dismiss post-release user impressions in a similar fashion. But if you've got the cash and are already on board due to pre-release coverage, then yeah, reviews don't serve the same purpose for that consumer as they might for others.

leeh

It's not the same as hearing from someone who's played through the game and doesn't have a vested interest in its success if you're legitimately weighing a purchasing decision. You could easily dismiss post-release user impressions in a similar fashion. But if you've got the cash and are already on board due to pre-release coverage, then yeah, reviews don't serve the same purpose for that consumer as they might for others.
I understand that, I don't disregard reviews, if anything theyve got me more excited for QB. I understand waiting on reviews if your on the fence, but cancelling pre-orders or disregarding a game based on a small minority of people's opinions is ridiculous, especially if you've followed the game prior and pre-ordered based on your own opinion of available material.

O.D.B

Neo Member
This thread now.

ehejHeB.gif

Is this the PC or XBox One version? Looks good either way......

Strootman

People without a lot of money miss a lot of great games, yes.

I am not questioning that, I don't have much money to spend on videogames too.

Thing is that if I am interested in a game, I'll buy it despite what reviews say. I don't let other people to judge if a game is good or not for me. It's such a sad way of thinking.

jayu26

I understand that, I don't disregard reviews, if anything theyve got me more excited for QB. I understand waiting on reviews if your on the fence, but cancelling pre-orders or disregarding a game based on a small minority of people's opinions is ridiculous, especially if you've followed the game prior and pre-ordered based on your own opinion of available material.

What if you happen to have similar tastes as Jeff Gerstmann and trust his reviews more. Is being circumspect ridiculous in that case too? For that matter, when is it ridiculous to be circumspect?

leeh

What if you happen to have similar tastes as Jeff Gerstmann and trust his reviews more. Is being circumspect ridiculous in that case too? For that matter, when is it ridiculous to be circumspect?
Well if your tastes are similar, your not always going to agree. Just base your purchase on your own opinion and not some number. It's stupid how much weight people put on reviews.

Dimorphic

I've watched a few video reviews but also some gameplay videos and I have to say I'm excited. It looks very Remedy and I love their style of gameplay and control mechanics. I'm sold. Day one.

Wagram

Well if your tastes are similar, your not always going to agree. Just base your purchase on your own opinion and not some number. It's stupid how much weight people put on reviews.

I bet Batman v. Superman wished people thought that way.

Slaythe

I hated Alan Wake, but I gave half the price of QB to a friend that has the xbox one.

He'll give me the PC code.

Hopefully it's at least worth it.

Fat4all

Banned
I am not questioning that, I don't have much money to spend on videogames too.

Thing is that if I am interested in a game, I'll buy it despite what reviews say. I don't let other people to judge if a game is good or not for me. It's such a sad way of thinking.

I don't see how it's sad. Video games aren't going to disappear in the immediate future, there's always time to play games later.

Just ask my backlog.

oti

Banned

Don't buy it then. It's solid, but not "the best", not even close. I'm liking it a fair bit so far though.

Now I'm curious, what were the last games you bought? What's "the best" for you?

Fat4all

Banned
Ah cheers for that.

Actually, as a correction (I went back and looked through old articles) that budget of around 500 mil is the cost with marketing, give or take, it's just that the studio doesn't make back the full amount in theaters, so the gross for BvS to be break even would have to be about 800 mil.

leeh

Actually, as a correction (I went back and looked through old articles) that budget of around 500 mil is the cost with marketing, give or take, it's just that the studio doesn't make back the full amount in theaters, so the gross for BvS to be successful would have to be between 800 mil and 1 bil.
Well, my original point was in reply to someone referring to Batman vs Superman and its reviews in relation to tickets. It's clearly doing well.

Ricky_R

Actually, as a correction (I went back and looked through old articles) that budget of around 500 mil is the cost with marketing, give or take, it's just that the studio doesn't make back the full amount in theaters, so the gross for BvS to be successful would have to be between 800 mil and 1 bil.

I read they need to clear 1 bill for the movie to begin any sort of success.

Discusguy

I think it depends on the age of the consumer. I haven't put much stock in a review since I was 14yrs old. I agree with your other point about watching gameplay trailers and previews. If I listened to critics I wouldn't be enjoying as much shit as I do now.

Trup1aya

Actually, as a correction (I went back and looked through old articles) that budget of around 500 mil is the cost with marketing, give or take, it's just that the studio doesn't make back the full amount in theaters, so the gross for BvS to be break even would have to be about 800 mil.

Studios can get over 75% of the cut during the opening week. The bigger the anticipated opening, the more leverage the studio has for a large week 1 split. As the run goes on, the split starts to favor the theatre.

I'd say that despite the critical panning, the movie will turn a profit, all things considered.

To address the original point

I bet Batman v. Superman wished people thought that way.

'Batman v superman' is a terrible example to support the idea that weak reviews will have a major impact on a games ability to sell.

I'm starting to think twice about this after Giant Bomb's review.
I have disposable income but I'm starting to doubt this is worth my time, much less my money.

Top Bottom