• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Liamc723

4n0Fjri.png

...since the beginning of time maybe?

I've never viewed it that way since the difference between a 1/10 and a 4/10 is pretty minimal in my eyes. Sure, a 1 is probably completely broken but a 4 is something that should lack any redeeming qualities and just simply be a terrible game. Neither game would be worth bothering with and on a 5 point grading system, I'd give them both a 1.

2 to 5 all scale more logically if you were to multiply them by 2 to fit the 10 point scale, though a 2 is a 5 rather than a 4, for me atleast. So it's 2 = 5 to 6, 3 = 6 to 7, 4 = 8 to 9, and 5 = 9 to 10.

I think Metacritic treats a 2/5 as a 4/10 though, since logically, that should be what it is, but we're talking about numbers representing abstract thoughts and opinions. Can't really quantify that stuff and yet we attempt to to make things easier. In the end, the number's arbitrary.

Memento

Hahaha, there seems to be a few problems with math in here. Apparently 2/5 and 4/10 are different depending on the numeral system (?) used? And a 10 hour average equates to an 8.5 hour experience.

What?

He said there are reviewers saying it took 8 hours and others saying 12 hours. So the average is 10 hours. But the guy just said it has 1h30 of TV stuff. So, the average is 8h30. What is wrong with the math?

That is very much true. For example, in an Octal system 4/10 would be 50% converted to base 10 math (Decimal system) that is taught in school, but 2/5 would still remain 40%.

Do you honestly think game reviewers are taking the Octal math system in to account when they're scoring games? I mean, REALLY?

I see. So taking 10 as the average, we have a 8.5 hours game. Well, still not that bad.

What?

He said there are reviewers saying it took 8 hours and others saying 12 hours. So the average is 10 hours. But the guy just said it has 1h30 of TV stuff. So, the average is 8h30. What is wrong with the math?

All I saw was the top quote up there, I was just making a joke. It's okay, I promise.

Do you honestly think game reviewers are taking the Octal math system in to account when they're scoring games? I mean, REALLY?

Probably not, but they're arbitrary numbers applied to a complex product. Reviewers who use the 5 point system might as well use the 10 point system if all of their scores can just be multiplied by 2 to get the same exact idea they're trying to convey, but that's not the case.

TheDanger

Banned
surprised how solid the IQ is plus the game looks outstanding sometimes, especially the character models and animations, and that's after 5 minutes.

From what I saw 7-9 hours maybe a bit more.

From the looks of it 9-11 hours on normal difficulty.

I didn't really keep tabs of my specific playtime, but I'd guess it took me around nine or ten hours. One of those hours was dedicated to the TV-show.

Since the stats and achievements for this game aren't up yet on XBL, I can't check how many hours I've spent playing it since I got it. I'm in act 4 of my second playthrough now, playing on Hard difficulty and going for 100% completion.

Thank you very much guys and gals I appreciate it

Osahi

I cant strip the tv show cause its part of the game, ridiculous or not, good or bad, its part of the game, and i at least aplaud the corage, the time stoping effects looks cool too and i didnt see that before, we seem to judge harsh on games that try something(good or bad) new And love the games that are more of the same.

I didn't mean strip it out of the game. I mean strip it to what it is: cutscenes. It wouldn't have been any different if they just had those scenes in real time cut scene style in stead of live action. The form of it doesn't add anything to the content really (it even hurts it imo, as it enlarges the flaws of the screenplay and acting) That was my point.

Time powers are nothing new either. Max payne had ot over a decade ago, and even Ratchet and Clank allready did it in platforming (and better too)

I love games that try something new, but they have to succeed in doing it. And I actually don't feel like QB does anything new. It feels really old fashioned at times

jesu

I'm expecting 10 hours tops, which isn't enough imo for a $60 game tbh.
I only bought it because of an Amazon special offer.
At least I'm getting the new Deus Ex that way too!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Sorry to burst your bubble Gertsmann, but by allowing your scores to be included on the Metacritic site, you by default signed a contract saying you were okay with your ratings being converted to a 100 point scale.

Nice try, sport.

Granjinha

Sorry to burst your bubble Gertsmann, but by allowing your scores to be included on the Metacritic site, you by default signed a contract saying you were okay with your ratings being converted to a 100 point scale.

Nice try, sport.

He's right, though.

These kind of comments should be ignored. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Besides, i'm sure if it was exclusively his say they wouldn't be included. It's a site, you know. Not Gerstmann . com

So, yeah, i'm pretty the one in a bubble is you, actually.

kpaadet

Nice try, sport.
So? He can (and should) still ignore comments from people that don't really care what he wrote but are just mad because his score is dragging the average down on MC.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
He's right, though.

These kind of comments should be ignored. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Besides, i'm sure if it was exclusively his say they wouldn't be included. It's a site, you know. Not Gerstmann . com

So, yeah, i'm pretty the one in a bubble is you, actually.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic, or just completely missed the point. Which is a huge, very valid one.

oti

Banned

Nice try, sport.

You want them to tell metacritic to stop using their scores?

You take this way too seriously bud.

Fat4all

Banned

Nice try, sport.

His comment isn't about Metacritic.

Nice try, sport.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Couldn't resist.

Preordered on my XBO, will probably play on PC @4K unless it's somehow screwed up.

It's not his job to worry about how his score will effect Metacritic.
that's right, it's not, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a part of metacritic, but that's just how metacritic works.

i guess i don't understand what the problem/conflict is here? what are the two sides to this argument?

Not bad scores at all.

Kinda off topic, but I just got this email from Amazon. Anyone else had this happen to them before? Not complaining cause I've always wanted to play Kameo haha

z5PJfTl.png

kpaadet

that's right, it's not, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a part of metacritic, but that's just how metacritic works.

i guess i don't understand what the problem/conflict is here?
The problem are people seeing Jeff's score on MC and then go to Giant Bomb/Twitter to bitch about the score.

Naudi

Banned
Decent reviews, the ones I read anyway. Sure is hard for exclusives to get amazing scores this gen, luckily I play games on reviews :) May get on PC but more then likely will just wait till I finally get a Bone and play it there. For whatever reason I have zero motivation to game on my PC.

Matt

i guess i don't understand what the problem/conflict is here? what are the two sides to this argument?
The point is that anyone complaining about the score (not that people really should anyway) should at least do it on its own merits, a score on Giant Bomb using their scoring system, not what Metacritic does to it.

megalowho

i guess i don't understand what the problem/conflict is here?
You don't. It's about the convoluted and tired arguments people make in response to review scores and the kind of thinking that outs someone as more interested in bias confirmation and hype validating aggregates over actual critical discussion. It's not about how metacritic works. Feel free to browse this thread for some examples.

Not bad scores at all.

Kinda off topic, but I just got this email from Amazon. Anyone else had this happen to them before? Not complaining cause I've always wanted to play Kameo haha

z5PJfTl.png

I don't know if the code will be region locked but if it isn't you can have mine when I get it. I already have American Nightmare.

I haven't read the reviews yet. Does some of them say a word about the level design and overall encounter design of this game, which in my opinion looked really uninspiring at times ? It was one of my main concerns, so I hope that the subsequent arcs provide something more interesting and sophisticated in this regard.

Solid score. Not as good as some would have hoped, but I didn't expect more from it. That being said, my PC is ready.

Top Bottom