• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

Another thread, another display of embarrassing math skills. Since when did a 2/5 equal a 4/10? Simple math shows that a 2/5 is a much better score. We can all agree that a perfect score is a 5 or a 10 in each system. A 4/10 is 6 steps removed from the perfect 10 and thus a thoroughly mediocre game, while a 2/5 is a mere three steps from a perfect game, which would imply that the game is twice as good.

I'm unsure whether this misunderstanding is another attempt by gaf to bring a The One exclusive down by intentionally imagining poor reviews, or whether this is how far our math skills have sunken due to common core.

the 9-10 hours campaign length includes 4x25 minute cutscenes.

So it's about the same length as the order if you don't count the TV show sections

The Order was almost 50% cutscenes, so if we're discounting those, the order is 3 hours long, while the QB is between 7.5-8.5, if you discount in game cutscenes it's probably like 6.5-7.5 hours.

Not sure. 80%+ of QB's reviews are 8s, 9s, and 10s in the OP.

I suppose we could have a graphics off, but that's a different discussion.

Metacritic is useless really. The only time I pay it attention is if a game has like a 20% on it, then I reconsider a purchase..lol.

A) Single-player third-person shooters with strong cinematic emphasis in a generation where almost everything else is open world. There's not a lot else out there for comparison when these kind of games are going so quickly out of vogue.
B) Console exclusive to one particular platform

Thanks guys. May sound stupid but I'm totally fine with the game not taking part in an open world. Love story driven action games. Not afraid about the length too. If GAF says ten hours it'll take me twenty...actually this game is right up my alley.

TripOpt55

The reviews are about what I expected. Looking forward to trying this. I'm going to rent it (this has nothing to do with reviews and more to do with having to buy Uncharted, Ratchet and Mirror's Edge which is enough buys for a couple months). I'm still not really keen on the whole TV show aspect. I mean I love both TV and games, but when I sit down for each I'm not exactly looking for the other. I already don't like long cutscenes, so not sure how I will feel about this aspect.

zsynqx

Another thread, another display of embarrassing math skills. Since when did a 2/5 equal a 4/10? Simple math shows that a 2/5 is a much better score. We can all agree that a perfect score is a 5 or a 10 in each system. A 4/10 is 6 steps removed from the perfect 10 and thus a thoroughly mediocre game, while a 2/5 is a mere three steps from a perfect game, which would imply that the game is twice as good.

I'm unsure whether this misunderstanding is another attempt by gaf to bring a The One exclusive down by intentionally imagining poor reviews, or whether this is how far our math skills have sunken due to common core.

My brain

The Order was almost 50% cutscenes, so if we're discounting those, the order is 3 hours long, while the QB is between 7.5-8.5, if you discount in game cutscenes it's probably like 6.5-7.5 hours.

yeah, i suppose it's only fair to count the Order's cutscenes into the campaign total, too. I just didn't have hard figures for that they way we have hard numbers for the cutscenes in QB.

Overall, though, this shouldn't devolve into whether QB is better than the Order because if that's the low bar we're setting for QB then poor QB lol. And that comes from someone who actually liked the Order and has played every remedy game and still intends to play QB further down the line, when i can get it for cheap

shandy706

fuck if i know, you can play any game as much as you want and as many times as you like.

the campaign is about 9-10 hours the first time around and that includes 4x25 minute episodes. I'm not making that claim, i'm just pointing that out to someone who was asking about the game's length in comparison to the order

jeez

But you have to consider that it's not JUST that one playthrough that exists. There's more than one version of the story.

There's a difference between me playing through Max Payne 3...same story every time... vs QB. If the reviews are right. I'd say one should count all the content vs just a select amount. Shrug

Of course I played through all the MP games and AW a bunch of times and they only had one course..haha.

If they all lead to the same ending, it doesn't seem very compelling to see more episodes.

Well that's your personal choice, not a factor in how much total content is actually there.

I plan to see all of them that I can. I like finding all the hidden stuff in Uncharted and in AW...especially reading the story stuff. You can't count out stuff "just because".

The Order would even clock in much higher for me..lol. I like staring at graphics.

J_Viper

The Jeff salt in this thread is hilarious.

Halo 5 MP might be the best of the series... So well balanced compared to all the others.

The ingredients were they, but 343 dropped the ball in so many places that hurt it for me personally.

The boring maps, poor matchmaking, frustrating spawns, quit penalties,e-sports focus, etc.

At least the maps in Halo 4 were gorgeous.

Zukkoyaki

I think I lost IQ reading that. Meltdown territory.

Wagram

Since the day that 2 divided by 5 equals .4

Not very hard to wrap ones head around.

Drake's Fortune and Golden Abyss
golden abyss wasn't a mainlne installment and drake's fortune is the original game. uncharted did not become one of sony's biggest and most important IPs until Uc2, and ever since then the expectations have been really high. although overall fan reception to Uc3 wasn't as great as it was for Uc2, it did maintain what ND is expected to deliver on, and the release of tlou further facilitated that legacy.

generic_username

I switched to an alt account to ditch my embarrassing tag so I could be an embarrassing Naughty Dog fanboy in peace. Ask me anything!

This post is a work of art. LMAO!!

yeah, i suppose it's only fair to count the Order's cutscenes into the campaign total, too. I just didn't have hard figures for that they way we have hard numbers for the cutscenes in QB.

Overall, though, this shouldn't devolve into whether QB is better than the Order because if that's the low bar we're setting for QB then poor QB lol. And that comes from someone who actually liked the Order and has played every remedy game and still intends to play QB further down the line, when i can get it for cheap

I don't think anyone is suggesting that (at least I'm not), I just don't really see very much in the way of similarities other than they're both really pretty third person shooters. They aren't even in the same subgenre.

The Order plays more like a cover shooter where QB seems to emphasize movement over just standing still behind cover, like Remedys previous offerings.

For the record, I also enjoyed The Order, especially since I only paid about five bucks for it, it's a great game to show to people when you want to give an example of how far graphics have come. It's just really short and not fun to replay because of unskippable cutscenes.

One of the best things I've read this year.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Gold!

icespide

Banned

well done sir

oti

Banned
Ok, trying to watch episode three now and it's unwatchable.

EuroGAF, don't play QB in the evening I guess.

kpaadet

Well that's your personal choice, not a factor in how much total content is actually there.

I plan to see all of them that I can. I like finding all the hidden stuff in Uncharted and in AW...especially reading the story stuff. You can't count out stuff "just because".

The Order would even clock in much higher for me..lol. I like staring at graphics.
Please don't drag me into whatever QB vs TO1886 you got going on, I was only saying I don't think the need to go back and watch other version of the show is that big when the ending is set.

Oh I see. But how long is this TV stuff?

Every episode is about 22 minutes, and there are 4, so 88 minutes (1 hour 28 minutes). 10 hours isn't some hard fact either, the reviewer for Kotaku took about 12 and I saw another that took 8, so I guess it just depends on how good you are at these kinds of games and how much you skip.

People trying to translate Giant Bomb's reviews don't understand Giant Bomb.

You can't transfer 2 Stars to 4/10, 40/100 or anything else.

It's a scale that exists in its own terms.

shandy706

Please don't drag me into whatever QB vs TO1886 you got going on, I was only saying I don't think the need to go back and watch other version of the show is that big when the ending is set.

I don't have any vs going on between them, only responded to others bringing it in for some dumb reason.

On QB, it's part of the gameplay, and effects the length of the game for those interested?

I swore that was what we were talking about.

I'm now lost on why or what we're talking about..lol.

Some polarizing reviews so far, but it's Remedy so I'm not worried. They've not disappointed me up to this point, I don't expect they'll start now.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
I'm being thick here but how do l download or pre-load this on PC?

I've opened the Store on Windows 10 and searched for Quantum Break.

UK here.

butman

Under 80 metascore? Out of GOTY career.

nothing_to_see_here_naked_gun.gif

Recall

Unless your a dev can we all please stop taking review scores as personal attacks? Please.

Why does it matter so much what review a game gets? Why the insecurity? If you want to purchase a game then purchase it, validation of others isn't needed.

icespide

Banned
Unless your a dev can we all please stop taking review scores as personal attacks? Please.

Why does it matter so much what review a game gets? Why the insecurity? If you want to purchase a game then purchase it, validation of others isn't needed.

I generally agree with your sentiment but why are you even looking at the review thread then?

Buh...but, I have to j-justify my purchase of the game, or my decision to get a PS4 instead of a One.

O-or maybe I-I just wanna incite an argument.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Review threads are such a trainwreck of immaturity...yet I cannot look away. Caring one bit about metacritic is just so bizarre.
Actually, regardless of your personal opinion on the matter, Metacritic plays an extremely important role (whether good or bad) in the video game industry. It's great that you're above the opinions of others. Again, that has nothing to do with the impact of review aggregate sites on the video game industry. In case you were wondering why "people care" about them. They do matter, and they will continue to matter for a very long time.

Memento

Every episode is about 22 minutes, and there are 4, so 88 minutes (1 hour 28 minutes). 10 hours isn't some hard fact either, the reviewer for Kotaku took about 12 and I saw another that took 8, so I guess it just depends on how good you are at these kinds of games and how much you skip.

I see. So taking 10 as the average, we have a 8.5 hours game. Well, still not that bad.

icespide

Banned
how do the tv episodes work? can you pause them and come back later? or is it just like one big ass cutscene? I didn't really think about how this will affect my playthrough

I'm sorry but I'm going to need one of our resident math experts to fact check your post.

Hahaha, there seems to be a few problems with math in here. Apparently 2/5 and 4/10 are different depending on the numeral system (?) used? And a 10 hour average equates to an 8.5 hour experience.

oti

Banned
Finished episode 3 just now. Nothing GOTY worthy as of now but very solid. And I really enjoy the episodes still.

jayu26

Hahaha, there seems to be a few problems with math in here. Apparently 2/5 and 4/10 are different depending on the numeral system (?) used? And a 10 hour average equates to an 8.5 hour experience.

That is very much true. For example, in an Octal system 4/10 would be 50% converted to base 10 math (Decimal system) that is taught in school, but 2/5 would still remain 40%.

Top Bottom