• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quantum Break Review Thread

OKK

The Gerstmann narrative developing in this thread is genuinely pathetic.

When the man is genuinely giddy about certain games nobody gives a damn but when he dares to have a negative opinion about the videogame you're hyped for he's suddenly this jaded and disinterested individual that should stop reviewing games.
The game obviously missed the mark with Jeff. Read the review and weigh it however you want, but the personal attacks coming from people who are obviously over-invested in the game before even playing it are just sad. Take a step back and look at what you're saying here.

Could not agree more. Few days back I read for the first time the famous UC3 review thread and my god how some of the comments were embarrassing. Still I find this thread even more sad to read because of the personal insults that are targeted to Jeff. This is beyond embarrassing, it's just plain pathetic to wish/demand that he would end his +20 year career because he gave a 2/5 score to a game that none of us have actually played.

Could not agree more. Few days back I read for the first time the famous UC3 review thread and my god how some of the comments were embarrassing. Still I find this thread even more sad to read because of the personal insults that are targeted to Jeff. This is beyond embarrassing, it's just plain pathetic to wish/demand that he would end his +20 year career because he gave a 2/5 score to a game that none of us have actually played.

I've played it ;-)

Although I understand that what one person likes, another might not.

pitchfork

Quantum Break |OT| where we're going, we don't need 1080p

Can't wait for Tuesday!

One of my mates is playing at the moment and thinks its incredible, also says it the best looking game on X1

Jeff doesn't deserve that sort of shit IMO it's the mans opinion, he's paid to express it but given he is someone who doesn't like third person shooters I find it odd he's the man to review this game. Wasn't someone who has even the slightest bit of enthusiasm for the genre be a better choice? Then if 2/5 was awarded you could perhaps relate to it a bit more given that person has at least some knack for that type of game.

saying this is worse I don't get it at all. Eurogamer really got it in the neck over a 8/10, yes a 8/10 which is a great score for any game. It was embarrassing to say the least and it said a lot about those people.

Coxy100

Banned
I've never seen the UC3 review thread - and can't find it via Google on my phone - any chance someone can link it? If not no worries I will search on my PC later :)

Edit - surely the OT should have a reference to little finger from game of thrones in it!

kpaadet

Jeff doesn't deserve that sort of shit IMO it's the mans opinion, he's paid to express it but given he is someone who doesn't like third person shooters I find it odd he's the man to review this game. Wasn't someone who has even the slightest bit of enthusiasm for the genre be a better choice? Then if 2/5 was awarded you could perhaps relate to it a bit more given that person has at least some knack for that type of game.

saying this is worse I don't get it at all. Eurogamer really got it in the neck over a 8/10, yes a 8/10 which is a great score for any game. It was embarrassing to say the least and it said a lot about those people.
When did this "Jeff doesn't like 3rd person shooters" thing start? Ohh he didn't like QB I guess that means he hates all TPS seems like the only reasonable thing to conclude, yep.

SRV

Got my copy yesterday, then we got hit with a blackout not two minutes after it popped through the letter box. Thankfully power was only out for an hour, so I got my weekend game on!

Finished it, whilst it is somewhat short, my playtime was between 8-9 hours(sweet spot, imo), I played on normal and had a 96% completion. All I can say is, It's awesome. Like seriously great. I loved the combat and powers, felt like a cool new take/step on bullet time. My one gripe with it is, the climbing was a real payne some times, like you have to jump perfectly straight at things. Other than that, I really enjoyed my time with it.

Going to start playthrough number 2 and pick the other choices.
Not really a spoiler but, I loved how each choice was made from Serene's view

Forgot to say I also enjoyed the episodes. There are 4 and each episode's around 20 minutes, each play at the end of acts 1-4.

When did this "Jeff doesn't like 3rd person shooters" thing start? Ohh he didn't like QB I guess that means he hates all TPS seems like the only reasonable thing to conclude, yep.

I remember hearing him on a podcast ages ago speaking about it but then he gave the likes of tomb raider a good score so I don't know what to believe.

As I have said the man shouldn't be getting abuse, he's paid for his opinion and I can respect that. I have no time for this bias shit been thrown around at him from frauds looking for a quick buck on YouTube.

G_Berry

Banned
Got my copy yesterday, then we got hit with a blackout not two minutes after it popped through the letter box. Thankfully power was only out for an hour, so I got my weekend game on!

Finished it, whilst it is somewhat short, my playtime was between 8-9 hours(sweet spot, imo), I played on normal and had a 96% completion. All I can say is, It's awesome. Like seriously great. I loved the combat and powers, felt like a cool new take/step on bullet time. My one gripe with it is, the climbing was a real payne some times, like you have to jump perfectly straight at things. Other than that, I really enjoyed my time with it.

Forgot to say I also enjoyed the episodes. There are 4 and each episode's around 20 minutes, each play at the end of acts 1-4.
I see what you did there.

I noticed the climbing problem in some gameplay vids myself. It's not very smooth.

Gbraga

Didn't he love Gears of War and really enjoys The Division?

Review threads (for anything) are the worst.

Sanctuary

Remedy swung for the fences and hit a homerun with Quantum Break. With an engrossing story, an amazing cast, and the most beautiful visuals on the Xbox One we’ve ever seen, Quantum Break is a masterpiece.

This says absolutely nothing at all about the actual gameplay though. :(
Again, storytelling and graphics take priority.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've never seen the UC3 review thread - and can't find it via Google on my phone - any chance someone can link it? If not no worries I will search on my PC later :)

Edit - surely the OT should have a reference to little finger from game of thrones in it!

There's a wall of shame here. Needless to say, there were a lot of emotionally immature people upset that the PS3's biggest exclusive of the year wasn't being seen as a near-perfect game. Some of them are even in this thread.

There's a wall of shame here. Needless to say, there were a lot of emotionally immature people upset that the PS3's biggest exclusive of the year wasn't being seen as a near-perfect game. Some of them are even in this thread.

Oh man. I'm seeing some repeat names in both threads. Hooooo boy.

Jeez, that certainly is something! I dont remember that thread

Just finished it. Cool game.

The problem is they don't really add anything to the combat, they just take away your abilities. And the combat without the abilities is just ok. What the game wants you to do is to use the countless red barrels to your advantage.

But you can totally come up with strategies on how to clear a room.
What is your opinion of the overall level design?

Chobel

What is Duxxy3 doing there? I always thought he's Xbox fan.

---------------------------

And that thuway quote, goddamn!
thuway said:
GTA IV / Halo got 10s from every single site / publication ever, and those games reeked of shit.

Halo 3 reeked of shit! Halo 3?!

Bgamer90

Banned

Oh my goodness. All because of an 8. Wow.

And some of the same ones are in this thread but we are also talking about a thread that was five years ago. Hopefully they have matured.

oti

Banned
What is your opinion of the overall level design?

It's very meat and potatoes. Shooting section, story section (aka read all the emails) and platforming section (I liked them in theory but the movement is too clunky for this kind of thing).

There's nothing especially great here but all elements put together make for a cool experience. That's the story of this game tbh.

One thing I disliked was looking for upgrade points. To do that you have to use the Batvision and I found myself using it way too much. Plus it takes away from the atmosphere. But it's still a video game in the end of the day.

OKK

Jeff doesn't deserve that sort of shit IMO it's the mans opinion, he's paid to express it but given he is someone who doesn't like third person shooters I find it odd he's the man to review this game. Wasn't someone who has even the slightest bit of enthusiasm for the genre be a better choice?
It seems that other people have already commented on this, but Rise of the Tomb Raider was included in his GOTY list. Also he just gave 4/5 to The Division. Overall I would say Jeff actually might be biggest shooter fan in the Giant Bomb (?)

saying this is worse I don't get it at all. Eurogamer really got it in the neck over a 8/10
That's the thing. With UC3 review thread the meltdown was just targeted to the site ("eurogamer you piece of shit!!" etc.), which is not the case in here.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=32102086#post32102086

Review threads (for anything) are the worst.
Yeah... As a new member I'm starting to realize this :A

prag16

Banned
Heh. I had almost forgotten.

One of the most embarrassing topics ever on gaf. At least an order of magnitude worse than the ire directed at giantbomb in this topic.

I know there were a lot of cry babies with TLoU too whenever anybody had the gall to think it was an 8/10 game (though generally not on the UC3 level).

I may just choose to abstain entirely from reading the UC4 review topic...

R3TRODYCE

Does the QB console bundle come with a physical copy or digital? The Xbox site says digital but the GameStop site says physical.

It's very meat and potatoes. Shooting section, story section (aka read all the emails) and platforming section (I liked them in theory but the movement is too clunky for this kind of thing).

There's nothing especially great here but all elements put together make for a cool experience. That's the story of this game tbh.

One thing I disliked was looking for upgrade points. To do that you have to use the Batvision and I found myself using it way too much. Plus it takes away from the atmosphere. But it's still a video game in the end of the day.
Thanks!

tumblr_inline_mxx1zuNfKw1rocwym.gif

SomTervo

It seems that other people have already commented on this, but Rise of the Tomb Raider was included in his GOTY list. Also he just gave 4/5 to The Division. Overall I would say Jeff actually might be biggest shooter fan in the Giant Bomb (?)

That's the thing. With UC3 review thread the meltdown was just targeted to the site ("eurogamer you piece of shit!!" etc.), which is not the case in here.

Holy shit, think that's the most salt i've seen in a GAF thread.

I didn't know about his division review sorry, maybe I mistook him for somebody else but no excuse, at the time I did think it was him who said he wasn't a fan of tps on a bomb podcast.

Top Bottom