• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quentin Tarantino Thread of- Foot Fetishes, Tipping and Ezekiel 25:17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
harSon said:
If you guys haven't seen it, Tarantino has been doing introductions to films on Sky Movies. They're all roughly 10 minutes or shorter and within them, he gives some fairly off the wall but interesting takes of the films. Pretty great stuff.

Tarantino on Taxi Driver:
Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YGPfDk9_Yo)
Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9u8VeQVIg&feature=related)

Tarantino on Sunshine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAMYudPgQKc&feature=related

Tarantino on There Will be Blood:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rp5NjLRRyw

Tarantino on Death Proof:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIrtPNEpZjY&feature=related

Tarantino on McCabe & Mrs Miller:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6sh9X-V0XA&feature=related

Tarantino's top 20 films since becoming a director:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz4K-Rxx2Bk&feature=related
Code:
Battle Royale     
Anything Else    
Audition     
Blade    
Boogie Nights
Dazed & Confused     
Dogville     
Fight Club     
Fridays     
The Host     
The Insider
Joint Security Area     
Lost In Translation    
The Matrix     
Memories of Murder 
Police Story 3     
Shaun of the Dead
Speed     
Team America     
Unbreakable

This isn't part of the series but it's similar in format and equally interesting, it involves him talking about Chungking Express and its director Kar Wai Wong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX8aUixCpek

Whoa, that's great! :D

Quoted for new page.

Veidt

He says he feels betrayed by Sunshine's 3rd act. :lol

I pretty much felt that way too.

Ryck

Watched TR Directors Cut and I liked it way better than the theatrical version. He (Tony Scott) should have left it the way it was written.

bionic77

Just want to say that Pai Mei is one of the coolest characters in the history of cinema. Wouldn't mind seeing a movie about him.

Veidt

Alright guys. Time for voting to begin, to settle this once and for all.

What is Quentin Tarantino's best feature film, so far?
  1. Reservoir Dogs
    [*]Pulp Fiction
    [*]Jackie Brown
    [*]Kill Bill.vol1&2
    [*]DeathProof
    [*]Inglourious Basterds
( for those who've watched inglourious Basterds.) Don't worry, voting will end after a few weeks time. I suspect all QT fans have, by that time, already watched it.

Ok. So what's your vote?

You are also welcome to elaborate on why you believe, that particular film to be his best work.

I'll count all the votes as time progresses.

I'll start:
Really hard choice...
I'm more into the style of film QT uses when he's working on films such as Kill Bill. But then again, I also like the style of narrative he uses in films like Pulp Fiction.
hmmm...

I'd have to go with Inglourious Basterds then. It seems to combine both aspects from both types of film. Into some kind of uber tarantino behemoth of insane dialogue, music integration and ridiculous action/violence.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Pulp Fiction is just too iconic and embedded in our culture for me to deny it. It is my favorite, for now. But Inglorious basterds is his most cerebral work and Jackie Brown is just steeped in that 70s cool. They're tied for 2nd, although IB could take the cake upon more viewings. Kill Bill lacks the substance to surpass his the other films. For what it is though, it is inventive and entertaining in great measure. Reservoir Dogs was too predictable and amateurish for me to really get into it. The 3rd act is just kind of lame to me since we know Roth is the guy so early. Death Proof just bored me to death, particularly since it came up after 1 action packed film and 4 madcap-paced trailer. Maybe I'll appreciate some day as a standalone film, but right now, it was just too self-indulgent.

harSon

Banned
There's really no questioning it, it's Pulp Fiction. The film is as close to perfect as you can get, pretty much 99% of the film is flawless. There's no point in holding a vote because Pulp Fiction will win...

Veidt

:lol

One more vote. If the next vote is Pulp Fiction, this'll be the fastest ending poll ever.

Veidt

oh sh*

The poll lives on. Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction head-to-head now.

harSon

Banned
All I know is his next film better not be a remake Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, throwing my Tarantino fandom aside, I will not watch it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
harSon said:
All I know is his next film better not be Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!, throwing my Tarantino fandom aside, I will not watch it.
It really is hard to tell what's he's gonna do next, he's thrown so much shit out there. If I had to place money on a project, I'd bet it would be IB related. Trouble is, I kind of don't want to see any sort of IB material because IB completed the themes it was about so well. IB prequel/sequel would just be a excuse to get these characters together again rather than having any real reason to tie them up in a meaningful film again. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

harSon

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
It really is hard to tell what's he's gonna do next, he's thrown so much shit out there. If I had to place money on a project, I'd bet it would be IB related. Trouble is, I kind of don't want to see any sort of IB material because IB completed the themes it was about so well. IB prequel/sequel would just be a excuse to get these characters together again rather than having any real reason to tie them up in a meaningful film again. I may be wrong, but that's how I see it.

He said he had an entire subplot, involving a group of African American soldiers that he couldn't include for the sake of time.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/05/10/tarantinos-inglourious-basterds-prequel/
Apparently Tarantino had shelves a huge subplot involving African-American soldiers stuck behind enemy lines, which he hopes to make that part of a prequel, that is, if the first film is popular.

Judging from an Eli Roth interview, it involves his and Brad Pitts characters in Italy, so I'm assuming the African soldiers would fit somewhere in there. I wouldn't mind a prequel to be honest, but I'm firmly against Eli Roth being at the front and center of it, dude simply can't act.

YYZ

I've watched all of those except Deathproof and Inglourious Basterds (however I should rewatch Reservoird Dogs, it's fuzzy). Pulp Fiction is my number one favourite movie and it is his best work. I will watch Inglourious Basterds within the next ten days I think.

MrOctober

Banned
harSon said:
There's really no questioning it, it's Pulp Fiction. The film is as close to perfect as you can get, pretty much 99% of the film is flawless. There's no point in holding a vote because Pulp Fiction will win...

This.

I like Kill Bill way more than anything else he's did. After that would have to be the Basterds.

So if we're doing a voting thing, Kill Bill. If necessary, more specifically, Vol. 2.

Jibril said:
What is Quentin Tarantino's best feature film, so far?

Kill Bill. I would even say vol 2 alone is his best work, but if you're counting it as one movie, then it's my answer by a large margin.

DieselRainbow

Neo Member
harSon said:

This again!

Inglourious Basterds was amazing too though. I can no longer decide my Fav Tarantino films in order.... Pulp Fiction is definately #1 though.
Can I have Reservoir Dogs, Kill Bill Vol1, Inglorious Basterds all tied in 2nd place!? haha

Veidt

Voting so far.

3 for pulp fiction.
2. For Jackie Brown
1 for Kill Bill

near

Gold Member
Pulp Fiction has my vote Jibril. :p But if I could I'd also vote for Inglourious Basterds.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Pulp Fiction is just too iconic and embedded in our culture for me to deny it. It is my favorite, for now. But Inglorious basterds is his most cerebral work and Jackie Brown is just steeped in that 70s cool. They're tied for 2nd, although IB could take the cake upon more viewings. Kill Bill lacks the substance to surpass his the other films. For what it is though, it is inventive and entertaining in great measure. Reservoir Dogs was too predictable and amateurish for me to really get into it. The 3rd act is just kind of lame to me since we know Roth is the guy so early. Death Proof just bored me to death, particularly since it came up after 1 action packed film and 4 madcap-paced trailer. Maybe I'll appreciate some day as a standalone film, but right now, it was just too self-indulgent.

I agreed 100% with this until you stabbed me in the heart with your Reservoir Dogs and Death Proof comments. Reservoir Dogs is/was far from predictable, who expected to watch a heist movie, without the heist? Reservoir Dogs is the most influential movie of all time, it's that simple. Death Proof had far too much dialogue with very little in-between which is what let it down, the pacing was off, and Tarantino clearly learnt from this as we've seen with Inglourious Basterds. However, Death Proof still a pretty decent movie, and it rewards you at end , with what I have to say was a pretty damn unexpected turn of events with comedy at it's finest.

Veidt

Voting so far.

4- for pulp fiction.
2- For Jackie Brown
1- for Kill Bill
1-Inglourious basterds( forgot to count my own vote).

I've said this a billion times. But I'll say it again. Such a great OST in IB. It's ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Incidentally, I just finished watching Pulp Fiction for the first time.

I don't know what to say, man.

What a fucking movie.

Jibril said:
Voting so far.

3 for pulp fiction.
2. For Jackie Brown
1 for Kill Bill

Hey hey! There are two for Kill Bill.

brandonh83 said:
I like Kill Bill way more than anything else he's did. After that would have to be the Basterds.

So if we're doing a voting thing, Kill Bill. If necessary, more specifically, Vol. 2.

Veidt

mmmk fixed :p

Voting so far.

4- for pulp fiction.
2- For Jackie Brown
2- for Kill Bill
1-Inglourious basterds

TheExodu5

Banned
Jibril said:
I've said this a billion times. But I'll say it again. Such a great OST in IB. It's ridiculous.

I actually wasn't as impressed with the soundtrack, partially because it reused too much from Kill Bill. It also was a little too campy on the whole.

Anyways, my vote:

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1&2
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Inglorious Bastards

Veidt

TheExodu5 said:
I actually wasn't as impressed with the soundtrack, partially because it reused too much from Kill Bill. It also was a little too campy on the whole.

Anyways, my vote:

1. Kill Bill Vol. 1&2
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Inglorious Bastards

I actually liked it. Because of that fact.

Solo

Since Im seeing IB tomorrow, pre-IB rankings for me:

1. Jackie Brown
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Kill Bill Vol. 2
5. Death Proof
6. Kill Bill Vol. 1

harSon

Banned
You want to make that Spaghetti Western thread Jibril? I've seen a lot but not nearly enough, I wouldn't mind sharing my recomendations in hopes of finding a few more gems to watch.

Veidt

harSon said:
You want to make that Spaghetti Western thread Jibril? I've seen a lot but not nearly enough, I wouldn't mind sharing my recomendations in hopes of finding a few more gems to watch.

I would really like to make it. Give me a few days, we'll work on it together if you want to. My spaghetti western knowledge is limited. So i'll need to PM you my msn or aim.

I love that Tarantino says Shyamalamdingdong with such sincerity and candor.

Anyway, after seeing some of the criticisms of Roth's acting, I realized that I had had a conversation with him about non-actors acting, and it was around the time he got the role in IB. Now I know why he was so adamant that non-actors have as much a chance of being good as do their trained counterparts!

Blader

Are you people serious with these Jackie Brown votes? It was a fine movie but doesn't come fucking close to Pulp Fiction.

PF is the obvious choice here, no contest. Kill Bill would be my runner up.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Reservoir Dogs was too predictable and amateurish for me to really get into it. The 3rd act is just kind of lame to me since we know Roth is the guy so early.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. RD certainly isn't my favorite of Tarantino's, but I thought the movie was anything but predictable.

harSon

Banned
Jibril said:
I would really like to make it. Give me a few days, we'll work on it together if you want to. My spaghetti western knowledge is limited. So i'll need to PM you my msn or aim.

Sure, I'm probably not the most knowledgeable Spaghetti Western homer out there but I've certainly seen enough to start a thread with,

Solo

Jibril said:

Start with the works of Sergio Leone (Dollars Trilogy, OUATITW, Duck You Sucker) and Sergio Corbucci (Django, Navajo Joe, Companeros), and work out from there.

Veidt

Solo said:
Start with the works of Sergio Leone (Dollars Trilogy, OUATITW, Duck You Sucker) and Sergio Corbucci (Django, Navajo Joe, Companeros), and work out from there.

Sounds good to me.

We should also come back to this thread and give each other ideas every now and then.

harSon said:
Sure, I'm probably not the most knowledgeable Spaghetti Western homer out there but I've certainly seen enough to start a thread with,

Cool. :D

Jibril said:
He says he feels betrayed by Sunshine's 3rd act. :lol

I pretty much felt that way too.

Any sane individual would. It's too bad they didn't re-shoot it with a different 3rd act. The people who are okay with it, well, because there's no alternative.

Simply capitalizing on tension of the mission and the life support systems would have been enough. This is what old films did so well. They didn't switch shit in the middle of a plot.

harSon

Banned
Solo said:

Some of the action sequences in this film are soooooo fucking great.

Alongside those films, watch The Spaghetti West, a documentary IFC did a few years ago on the rise and fall of Westerns in Italian cinema.

Once Upon a Time in the West is an absolute masterpiece!! If you're a fan of great music, watch this. You'll see how much modern movies steals from this in terms of how musical cues are used.

Arjen

Pulp Fiction is my nr1, IB isn't released here yet, but i'll doubt it will take over the nr 1 spot.

harSon

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
Once Upon a Time in the West is an absolute masterpiece!! If you're a fan of great music, watch this. You'll see how much modern movies steals from this in terms of how musical cues are used.

No movie is going to touch it in terms of musical cohesion, the music was created before the movie was filmed, allowing him to perfectly sync what you're seeing with what's being heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom