• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Question about PSSR in the PS5 pro

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So we’re hearing slot of different opinions and ways that developers are choosing to activate PSSR on older games, and while that’s great I got to wondering because I’m not super into the hardware knowledge of how PSSR was designed and maybe none of know yet, but is the peak of PSSR determined by hardware limitations or is this something that can driver/patched in along the way to improve it? Similar to how DLLS got new features and versions as it grows?

My theory is that I believe there probably is a CAP and that either all the data collection and having developers get their hands and tech heads into it we may start to see some considerable improvements in it as the days go by.

I had honesty believe this is a test run for developers to get their hands on it and learn before next gen ps6 etc start. This would allow them to tweak pssr v2 and add more hardware features to it so we see massive gains in day one.

I’m convinced crossgen games are here to stay with economy and diminishing returns on hardware and quality I believe we’re just going to see consoles just revert to brands that play all their games going forward. Ps6 may just be a PlayStation and Xbox might just be Xbox going forward.

That’s getting off topic but do you all think we’re limited with PSSR or can it grow and expand without additional hardware being introduced?

R6Rider

Gold Member
So we’re hearing slot of different opinions and ways that developers are choosing to activate PSSR on older games, and while that’s great I got to wondering because I’m not super into the hardware knowledge of how PSSR was designed and maybe none of know yet, but is the peak of PSSR determined by hardware limitations or is this something that can driver/patched in along the way to improve it? Similar to how DLLS got new features and versions as it grows?

My theory is that I believe there probably is a CAP and that either all the data collection and having developers get their hands and tech heads into it we may start to see some considerable improvements in it as the days go by.

I had honesty believe this is a test run for developers to get their hands on it and learn before next gen ps6 etc start. This would allow them to tweak pssr v2 and add more hardware features to it so we see massive gains in day one.

I’m convinced crossgen games are here to stay with economy and diminishing returns on hardware and quality I believe we’re just going to see consoles just revert to brands that play all their games going forward. Ps6 may just be a PlayStation and Xbox might just be Xbox going forward.

That’s getting off topic but do you all think we’re limited with PSSR or can it grow and expand without additional hardware being introduced?
Yes, PSSR can be improved with no hardware changes.

However, it will always be limited in some way by better hardware. Or to put a different way, It will always see a higher potential with better hardware.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yes, PSSR can be improved with no hardware changes.

However, it will always be limited in some way by better hardware. Or to put a different way, It will always see a higher potential with better hardware.
What I thought but I wonder if they are just scratching the surface with this variation and we can see it double since they say it can be used later for 8k or if they are kinda maxing it right now.

Makes me really want a modular CPU and GPU for consoles. So we can swap them out midgen.

Last edited:

Crayon

They can work on the software, sure. Better IQ. But these things have a significant computation cost. Given the same resolution, should be a fixed amount even if hardware is upgraded, but that would be a smaller percentage as the hardware gets better.

The software can be improved but at some point the hardware becomes the limit... We don't know how far those limits are though.

SDK 10.00 is supposed to be ready for launch or just after, according to Tom Henderson's original leak

They will keep working on it

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PSSR is, like DLSS and not like FSR, an algorithm that runs on custom hardware that is built into the system. It is limited by the hardware they put into it. We don't know what those limits are because it's totally new. We will likely see many improvements to PSSR on PS5 Pro over the next few years.

And yea, I'd bet on the PS6 coming with more hardware and also a more capable algorithm, but it depends on where they want to go with it.

With ML the more games made for it the more it'll learn and get better until it's perfected on the current hardware then the limitations should get fixed on PS6 as well as get tons of upgrades from developer feedback. I would like a GDC talk about PSSR though I think it would be interesting.

bitbydeath

What I thought but I wonder if they are just scratching the surface with this variation and we can see it double since they say it can be used later for 8k or if they are kinda maxing it right now.

Makes me really want a modular CPU and GPU for consoles. So we can swap them out midgen.

The wording used was interesting.
Furthermore, Gran Turismo 7 will feature experimental support for 8K/60fps output.

F1 2024 (another racer) is also getting 8K, being experimental indicates that they’re not maxing it yet/room to adjust.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

Star Trek Computer GIF

Mobilemofo

So PSSR is a software solution built into the ps5 pro system? Excuse me for my ignorance, but could the ai machine learning ultimately help evolve the PSSR solution along with evolution from Sony itself?

Top Bottom