• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

9a7fc5_0b7ff1e80f804d3cae66d38b6aecc7a1.png_srz_p_462_165_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Platforms
iOS: 12/19 - Episode 1 ($5)
PC: TBA
MAC: TBA

So what is République?

Touted to be one of the first true AAA games on the platform in the original kickstarter pitch. République got the attention of the press and gamers. While there were some skeptics, for most people were generally excited with what they were promising with an all star cast of gaming talent like Ryan Payton of MGS fame, voice of strong women, Jennifer Hale, star of the popular show 24, David Hayter, this game has a recipe of big success, or huge failure that could impact the platform in some big ways. So half a year after their original planned release of june 2013, the game is finally hitting (digital) stores on Dec 19.

So what is this game? République is touted as a 'one touch stealth game' in which you play as well, yourself being tasked to help this mysterious girl excape evil authority figures like Jennifer Hale while getting help from David Hayter who clearly doesn't have his own agenda. Touching your away around Resident Evil style prerendered environments, avoiding and disabling enemies, hacking doors, take down The Man, etc.

In short, its pretty much Lifeline but with touch instead of voice and hopefully a bit better.

The delivery format will be Telltale style of new episodes every few months for a grand total of 5 episodes. $5 a pop.

If my ramblings doesn't make any sense, here is the official app description
Intense, thrilling, and topical, RÉPUBLIQUE is a stealth-action game that explores the perils of government surveillance in the Internet Age.

You receive a desperate call from Hope, a mysterious woman trapped inside an oppressive totalitarian state. By hacking into the nation's elaborate surveillance network and taking control, you guide Hope through a web of danger and deception across five thrilling episodes. (Purchase future episodes with the discounted Season Pass.)

Challenging puzzles and complex strategy are offset by the simplicity of the game's “One Touch” controls, developed over two years by industry veterans (Metal Gear Solid 4, Halo 4, F.E.A.R., Black & White 2, SOCOM).

With striking visuals, a haunting, atmospheric score, and an all-star cast, RÉPUBLIQUE is one of the most ambitious games ever developed for iOS.

#HopeIsAlive

FEATURING:

- Pilot Episode 1: “Exordium”
- “One Touch” stealth action gameplay
- Immersive puzzles and strategic choices
- Advanced AI systems
- Motion-captured cutscenes
- Full voiceovers, starring:
- Rena Strober
- David Hayter (Metal Gear Solid)
- Jennifer Hale (Mass Effect, BioShock Infinite)
- Dwight Schultz (Killer7, Star Trek)
- Khary Payton (Metal Gear Solid 4)
- Matthew Mercer (Resident Evil 6)
- Console-quality facial tech powered by Faceware
- OMNI View icon art by Cory Schmitz
- iOS 7 Leaderboards, Achievements and Gamepad support
- Innovative, interactive developer commentary (in-app purchase)
- Downloadable “The Making of République” video series (in-app purchase)
- Fully translated in English, French, German, Spanish, Russian and Brazilian Portuguese
- Powered by Unity
- Funded by the Kickstarter Community

TECHNICAL NOTES:

- République Minimum Spec Requirements: iPhone 4 & up, iPad 2 & up,
iPod Touch 5 & up.
- Close all running apps to improve performance and stability.

Download link:
iOS

It is out now. Size of the app is 962 MB.
Requirements :
Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.

Kickstarter backers check your emails to see how you are getting your game. It is confirmed that even though the game format is changed to episodic, you will get every single episode.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/republique/id687888390?mt=8

Screenshots
5246fbc906df4caec1d6820b48181b52_large.png

a6300e1ba0ca6f0505308a5ccdf1b9a9_large.png

4e6dd4537f432f3b3fe57ae8565f2367_large.png

Launch Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVvTOdY5O-0

First 30 min.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SaWTiq-5Fvw

Official Reviews
toucharcade 5/5
Polygon 8/10
Eurogamer 8/10
IGN 8.5/10

Gaf Impressions

Remember to spoil tag shit.

GavinUK86

Sounds cool. David Hayter being involved makes me more interested.
He's only in the audio logs unfortunately. His character has apparently been dead for some years. That isn't a spoiler btw, it was talked about on IGN's Up At Noon. Jennifer Hale voices, what seems to be, the primary antagonist though.

He's only in the audio logs unfortunately. His character has apparently been dead for some years. That isn't a spoiler btw, it was talked about on IGN's Up At Noon. Jennifer Hale voices, what seems to be, the primary antagonist though.

It looks like the character is modeled after her as well.

Ah. Like ElectricKaibutsu though, still really glad he's in it, and Hale too. Good cast.

Looking forward to this.

Tagyhag

I remember the Kickstarter almost not making it, I'm glad it's coming out so early. Can't wait to hear some impressions of it.

Aaron

Cutting it close though. The game now comes out in less than 24 hours
Yeah, I expect it'll be out well before we'll be getting our codes or whatever. I think it's more due to Apple locking down the appstore soon than anything else.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
That seems like a lot of work and not fun at all. Yikes. At least they're generous enough to provide some extra bonuses

pants

You need to read your backer only updates

"iOS 7 Features (Leaderboards, Achievements and Gamepad support)"

Backing things on kick-starter is like throwing money at my steam backlog lol. Anyways I cant recall backing this.

Atomski

I hope I can play it on day one. I'm not even sure how to get my game from KS

Sounds like you will be waiting as Apples distribution sucks..

This is from the latest update

OK, NATEDAWG, HOW ARE YOU GETTING ME THE GAME?
In lieu of not being able to provide codes to each of you, we are signing ourselves up to have someone round-the-clock processing individual gifted versions of the app to each one of you once it goes live Thursday. (This will involve a lot of computers, credits cards, iTunes accounts, duct tape, rope, and an intern army.) I, personally, along with an army of volunteers, will be posted up in the Camouflaj War Room over the next week and through the holidays to make things right with each one of you!

It is important to note that, to our heart’s dismay, it means not everyone will be able to play the game right when the app launches. The process of gifting each backer individually is tedious (there’s over 8000 of you who have signed up for the iOS version of the game), and will likely take several days at best. Not to mention that, whomever our gracious volunteers end up being, I’d like to make sure we don’t intrude too much on their holidays. That’s why I’d like to set the lofty goal of making sure we resolve all gifting for those of you that respond to the survey in a timely manner by December 23rd. So please, please don’t delay in responding to the incoming survey.

Lastly, unless you absolutely can’t wait to get your hands on the totally filthy developer commentary I worked really hard on, please refrain from buying the season pass until we get into the new year, as we’ve got a plan to get you the official season pass IAP. But rest assured – you will get the season pass for the game. We promise.

Edit: missed post above but this is still worth reading.

zroid

Banned
So the price of the full game is actually $20, not $15. It's $5 for Episode 1, and $15 for the Season Pass. Or $25 for all episodes bought individually.

Seems like the iOS backers are getting a really good deal, lol.

zroid

Banned
I'm not that familiar with the App Store, but wouldn't it have been better to release, like, an alternate version of the game for $20 which would get free updates with all episodes instead of the approach they are taking for fulfillment...?

edit: I'm going by the assumption the season pass is an IAP, and that was the issue. Can app publishers not just purchase or receive promo codes from Apple? I'm really clueless lol, forgive me. :p

V_Ben

Banned
Submitted my survey. Sucks that Apple still doesn't have a good system for this stuff, but this is... better than nothing, I guess.

I'm not that familiar with the App Store, but wouldn't it have been better to release, like, an alternate version of the game for $20 which would get free updates with all episodes instead of the approach they are taking for fulfillment...?

edit: I'm going by the assumption the season pass is an IAP, and that was the issue. Can app publishers not just purchase or receive promo codes from Apple? I'm really clueless lol, forgive me. :p

don't remember the limit, but its somewhere about 50-100 promo codes per update.

There are like 8k backers ;)

Anyhow, the game is up in New Zealand, so it should be rolling out worldwide (launches midnight your region).

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/republique/id687888390?mt=8

First 30 min.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SaWTiq-5Fvw

Aaron

On the backer survey you can opt out if you don't want to force them to endure the extreme gifting they're about to undertake, but I don't think many will.

bigkrev

I'm going to be real curious to see how this game sells. The Kickstarter premise was "people want AAA games on mobile!", and it wasn't sucsessful until basically the last minute, after they announced David Hayer, Jennifer Hale, and a PC port. If this does not sell well, I doubt we see more games like this in the future

and maybe Ryan Payton stops talking about how tablets are the future for games

neshcom

Banned
I hadn't heard about this until today, but I'm definitely gonna download it tomorrow. It looks interesting and, hopefully, it'll be a good challenge.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
On the backer survey you can opt out if you don't want to force them to endure the extreme gifting they're about to undertake, but I don't think many will.

Well they are obligated to deliver on their rewards and I'm for one not going to opt out of that

Game is about 1 GB btw

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's weird that they'd even have that question. "Do you want the thing that you paid for?" But they don't word it that way, of course.

It's weird that they'd even have that question. "Do you want the thing that you paid for?" But they don't word it that way, of course.

yeah, i had to reread it, thinking it was one of those 'yes is no' trick questions.

There wasn't an option for 'i want it, but im not in a rush'.

how has other ios kickstarters got around this hurdle?

i think one of them just did a super quite launch for free for a limited time. but TA forums got wind of that.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
yeah, i had to reread it, thinking it was one of those 'yes is no' trick questions.

There wasn't an option for 'i want it, but im not in a rush'.

how has other ios kickstarters got around this hurdle?

i think one of them just did a super quite launch for free for a limited time. but TA forums got wind of that.

Don't know but try looking up that Zombie Run app for iOS. I believe that was a Kickstarter project

Too bad that there's no Android version announced. Would of loved to play it on my tablet.

well ios has controller support, and there is a pc version announced. And with next gen consoles fully supporting unity, it would be silly to not see this game appear on more stuff in the coming year or 2.

Top Bottom