• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

putermcgee

I remember the Kickstarter almost not making it, I'm glad it's coming out so early. Can't wait to hear some impressions of it.
Not sure if you're joking, but I'd hardly call this "early."

Anyway, the game is fun. It's got some good writing, and a lot of little Easter eggs to collect. I'll probably bite at the season pass, but it does seem like the next episode is a ways off.

jamsy

So to those that backed this, how do we know if it has been gifted to us or not? I'm not much of an iOS user so have never come across this...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
$5 plus $20 (i think?) for a season pass IAP? I have iOS devices but with a Steam version incoming this makes me want to wait for the port and all episodes to be released. I'm curious to know how the iOS version will sell though, this project is interesting.

I accidentally picked "no" on the gifting option on the survey before reading all the details... Does this mean I'm not getting the game? This whole thing is really confusing...

Aaron

I accidentally picked "no" on the gifting option on the survey before reading all the details... Does this mean I'm not getting the game? This whole thing is really confusing...
I'd e-mail them for clarity. I was really confused by it too, but went yes just to be safe.

I'd e-mail them for clarity. I was really confused by it too, but went yes just to be safe.
Sounds good, I sent an email to the address for backers.

I did the survey before reading the update so when I got to that question I thought it was just asking if I wanted a special gift code that I could give away or something. Pretty dumb assumption in hindsight but this whole thing is just a logistical nightmare.

dmr87

I don't want to wait for the gifting process so I bought it, can't wait to try it out when I get home from work.

The idea that it has David Hayter and Dwight Schultz is an instant one for me. Will wait for the PC version though.

I mean, who doesn't love Solid Snake and Reginald Barclay?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
$5 plus $20 (i think?) for a season pass IAP? I have iOS devices but with a Steam version incoming this makes me want to wait for the port and all episodes to be released. I'm curious to know how the iOS version will sell though, this project is interesting.

I think it's $15, $20 total

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Like others have said, this is a really cool Kickstarter positive.

Indeed. I was expecting it to be good but it looks like the reception has been more than great thus far

Phreaker, the game is out now. Anyone who wants to play it can buy it right now from the app store

People who want their Kickstarter fulfillment will have to wait since it's all being given out by hand. Sucks but understandable

Is Payton still wearing that ridiculous jacket?

payton_zps7ec521d6.jpg
Good christ. Once again I find myself somewhat regretting Kickstarting this.

Phreaker

Yup. If you backed the game, like me, you are waiting for a key. Seems backwards.

I'm sure it is and after reading a bit more they (Camouflaj) seem to agree. It seems they are giving $10 backers more stuff because of it, nice for those that only backed it $10 I guess.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Just got my iOS fulfillment

They asked for your AppleID email address but it doesn't matter. The code is embedded in the link provided and it'll redeem whatever account you're logged into on App Store

Just got my iOS fulfillment

They asked for your AppleID email address but it doesn't matter. The code is embedded in the link provided and it'll redeem whatever account you're logged into on App Store

im pretty sure it matters for when they somehow are gonna get you the next few episodes.

Interesting that they're going episodic and still $5 an episode. I guess that's the way to get the mobile crowd to digest higher priced, higher quality experiences.

Interesting that they're going episodic and still $5 an episode. I guess that's the way to get the mobile crowd to digest higher priced, higher quality experiences.

well i heard walking dead sold pretty well on iOS, but that had the name behind it.

really doubt this will get the main stream appeal, but i'm betting this will do alright in the long run ala super meat boy where the original platform does ok, but the buzz leads to the pc version to boom.

tino

Banned
I saw it on The Verge's RSS feed, and LOL when I realize its a MG rip off.

I think I will throw 5 bux his way. People gave him too much shit on podcasts.

ringlord

Bought in via kickstarter and almost immediately had buyers remorse due to several issues and some of the updates. But things seemed to progress and I got over it. Really glad I did now as it seems to have shaped up well. Congrats to those guys.

border

Only played it for about an hour, but I'm not really digging it so far. It basically controls like Diablo or a point-and-click adventure game. Tap/Click the spot on the screen where you want the character to move, then the character automatically moves to that spot. This is fine for Diablo/Adventure games where sometimes slow characters and spotty pathfinding is not much of an issue, but those genres generally don't require speed and precision like a stealth game does. It can be difficult to correct your course if a guard starts moving sooner than you expected. It's also hard to ascertain if you are ducked low enough behind cover to be spotted.....sometimes you'll be seen, sometimes you won't.

If you've been spotted by a guard there's not much opportunity for evasion.....controls are not quick or agile enough to make a clean getaway, though I suppose it's possible if you round a corner and hop inside a locker. If a guard catches you and you have a pepper spray on you Hope will incapacitate the guard. But if you don't have any pepper spray then you get dragged back to the nearest holding cell and have to repeat some content. The nice part is that you can completely freeze all the onscreen action by going into X-Ray/Scan mode. So if the shit hits the fan you can take a moment to size up your options and hopefully take decisive action.

Cycling through cameras is a bit of a chore. Having to manipulate cameras with touch is also a bit of a bother.

I think your enjoyment of the game will almost certainly depend on the size and capability of the device you're using to play. I have been using an iPad Mini and I can't imagine trying to deftly control this thing on a phone-sized screen, carefully picking precise points to move to. At the same time, I can imagine a lot of my problems might disappear in a PC release, where you could have more direct control over the character and could cycle through cameras just by hitting the tab key. Camera control would also be easier if mapped to the mouse or an analog stick.

This game feels very much like some kind of experimental late PS2-era title (Siren, perhaps?). You don't want to knock it because it's trying something strange and different, but at the same time it doesn't really come together how you'd like it to. Having to re-do content because of minor screw-ups or unpredictable controls can get old.

I'll probably keep playing, since I do kinda like the world and am hoping I will be able to come to terms with the the unconventional gameplay. The world seems to be a pretty standard totalitarian/Orwellian dystopia. But it also fondly reminds me of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes called "The Obsolete Man," where Burgess Meredith plays a librarian sentenced to death by a godless controlling government. I wonder if it's a coincidence that the first person Hope tries to find is a Librarian?

numble

I'm going to be real curious to see how this game sells. The Kickstarter premise was "people want AAA games on mobile!", and it wasn't sucsessful until basically the last minute, after they announced David Hayer, Jennifer Hale, and a PC port. If this does not sell well, I doubt we see more games like this in the future

and maybe Ryan Payton stops talking about how tablets are the future for games
Already #9 on Top Paid chart (US).

zroid

Banned
holy crap lol... the latest update. iOS fulfillment's really turned into a clusterfuck.

as a non-US backer, I'm now especially glad I only pledged for the PC version. -_-

Coconut

Banned
Dearest Backers,

Natedawg here. I want to start off by saying that the amount of support and understanding you guys have displayed over these last 48 hours has been truly staggering. It means the world to the team that despite all the complications in getting you folks the game, you have stuck by us and remained overwhelmingly positive.

As you can imagine, we’ve been absolutely swamped with both preparing ourselves for gifting you all the game as well as all the extra craziness that comes with launching a game! So apologies if we’ve been a little slow on getting back to any of you!

It is super critical that you read this update closely, as we have both good and bad news to share with all of you.

SOME QUICK CLARIFICATION FOR PC-ONLY BACKERS
A number of you have reached out to us, wondering why you haven’t received any surveys. Please hold tight as – we haven’t actually sent out surveys for the PC-only tiers and likely won’t in the immediate future. However, you guys should still make sure to redeem your unique Humble pages along with everyone else! More on that later in this post.

LET’S START WITH THE BAD
Following the last update and sending out our official Kickstarter surveys to most of you, many of you raised concerns that gifting apps on the App Store can’t be completed internationally, meaning that the U.S. Camouflaj iTunes account cannot gift République to anyone outside of the U.S. Unfortunately, this is true.

Before releasing the last update, we were led to believe by a credible source that we would, in fact, be able to internationally gift apps. Now, it’s shame on us for not thoroughly testing this in advance. After doing some test runs later that night (at 2:30am, rather), the horror dawned on us that we had just asked everyone for their Apple IDs with no indication of which region it is associated with.

We’ve been taking a hard look at all of our options over the last day and have come to the conclusion that we’ll have to take two approaches now. The first is to gift iOS copies of our game to backers in the U.S. The second, is to refund $5 USD to international backers so they can use that money to buy the game on the App Store.

"NATEDAWG: YOU SAID YOU DON'T KNOW WHICH REGION OUR APPLE IDS ARE ASSOCIATED WITH! HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS?!"
Yesterday was a really stressful day for me when I realized we would have to be continuously merging incoming Kickstarter results, with results from having previously surveyed the $100+ tiers in November. Then we started talking about having to survey most of you again to figure out which region you are in and merging those results in as well. All this merging would have to be done with very little means of matching up results from the various sources. It was a very scary and daunting situation to be in.

But, as I walked over to Top Pot this morning for an extra large latte, I had an epiphany!

HOW YOU GET YOUR GAME
To simplify everything, we will need all iOS backers to take one new Surveymonkey designed solely for iOS fulfillment. We’ll then use your results, easily merge them once with our master list of all you backers, and continue gifting and refunding the s**** out of you guys.

To all you international backers: We are currently waiting to hear back from Amazon in regards to making partial $5 refunds for your original Amazon Payments payment to Camouflaj back in May 2012. While we remain hopeful, it could end up that we have to investigate other means of sending you all $5. The survey you are about to take will ask you to provide us with the transaction id of this payment (see below for instructions on finding this). We wanted to make sure and get this information from you now so that if we get the green light in the next day or two, we would be able to quickly start firing off refunds to all of you. In the unfortunate event that we can't, we will find another way to get you $5; it is the internet after all! If this occurs, it means there will likely be another update and, I cringe typing this, another survey. In the meantime, International Backers: We ask that you trust Camouflaj will refund you $5 and go ahead with purchasing the game through normal means.

Overall, this process will dramatically increase the speeds and simplicity in the way we can get you all a copy of République on iOS. Please understand that this decision was made to make sure we had a clear and super efficient process to make things go as quick and smooth as possible for each and everyone one of you.

As a disclaimer, your official Kickstarter surveys are still very important to us! Although they will now be asking a lot of redundant information, there are still bits of those surveys that have key information we need to deliver you any sort of physical goods you might have earned. Please make sure to fill those out as well if you haven’t already.

Below is a link to the new Surveymonkey for iOS fulfillment. Please make sure to triple check your information before submitting, as accuracy is key; and will help increase the speed at which we can get you your refund or gift.

A few quick notes about the survey before you take it:

We will also be sending an email with the same link to help increase response rates; if you are reading this and take the survey from the link below, go ahead and ignore the email.
If you have a super old Apple ID that is not reflective of an email account you have access to, please provide us with an alternate email to receive your gift at (it can still be redeemed with your Apple ID)
If you are an international backer and need help finding your Transaction ID, follow the instructions below the link

This is the stuff that makes it hard to get behind a kickstarter campaign. So pretty much they under priced the game are are charging us all five bucks for a demo now, that's not what I backed. Seriously weak sauce.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I am just reading this update. Holy fucking shit. How could they have not figured this shit out in the year leading up to the launch?

I honestly have no idea who to blame for this mess. That Apple hasn't figured out a way to make this easier is just silly, given all the iOS Kickstarters in the past year.

Top Bottom