• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

zroid

Banned
I am just reading this update. Holy fucking shit. How could they have not figured this shit out in the year leading up to the launch?

I honestly have no idea who to blame for this mess. That Apple hasn't figured out a way to make this easier is just silly, given all the iOS Kickstarters in the past year.

When they launched the KS, it sounded like they had a plan worked out. In fact, I'm pretty sure they said there was one. So what the fuck happened?

border

What a clusterfuck.

It's pretty bizarre to think that I didn't back the Kickstarter, yet I'm still getting to play it before most of their US backers and probably all of their international backers.

I am really confused by what they are doing. People who cannot get iTunes Gift Codes receive a $5 refund. Okay, so they use that $5 to buy the first episode. How are they going to get the rest of the episodes?

I really feel bad for Camoflaj. Even if everybody takes the $5 refund and uses it to buy EP1, Apple is going to skim 30% off the price of that purchase. So for every international buyer they lose $1.50.

Coconut

Banned
So when did this switch to being episodic? I haven't been following this game's development after backing it and feel ripped off big time.

What a clusterfuck.

It's pretty bizarre to think that I didn't back the Kickstarter, yet I'm still getting to play it before most of their US backers and probably all of their international backers.

I am really confused by what they are doing. People who cannot get iTunes Gift Codes receive a $5 refund. Okay, so they use that $5 to buy the first episode. How are they going to get the rest of the episodes?

Yeah, they said they had a "plan" to get the season pass delivered, but after this update, I'm not sure how that is going to pan out. Wow...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I guess that's the other thing... everyone is only getting episode 1 at this point? Not the full game? Or are they going to try to figure something else out in time for the season pass?

They also clarified the language on the survey at least. They probably got a lot of confused questions about that.

Jubern

Holy shit. If I understand this correctly, since I don't use a US account all they can do is gift me 5$ so I buy the first chapter of the game? And I don't get the rest? This can't be true?

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I am just reading this update. Holy fucking shit. How could they have not figured this shit out in the year leading up to the launch?

I honestly have no idea who to blame for this mess. That Apple hasn't figured out a way to make this easier is just silly, given all the iOS Kickstarters in the past year.
Apple has obviously no interest in games bypassing their store (and therefore their 30%). You typically only get a very limited number of promo codes. I have no idea how they are even able to gift the game on a large scale to US folks. Does apple receive their cut on gift codes?

5246fbc906df4caec1d6820b48181b52_large.png
instantly thought of

border

Apple has obviously no interest in games bypassing their store (and therefore their 30%). You typically only get a very limited number of promo codes. I have no idea how they are even able to gift the game on a large scale to US folks.

I seem to remember the Apple 30% cut was brought up in the original Republique Kickstarter thread and they said they had it worked out or had it under control. But then again they thought they had international backers worked out as well.

Maybe their plan really was to just give as many gift codes as Apple would let them, and take a 30% hit on the rest. I suppose it's entirely possible that Apple is charging them $5 for every gift code, and they are just eating the difference between the $15 season pass and the $10 season pass they offered to backers. Which would mean they're only making $5 for every Season Pass sold to backers (minus the Amazon/Kickstarter cut) -- damn that would suck.

Out of curiosity, how does Steam handle this issue? What with Kickstarters and Humble Bundles and all, people manage to bypass Steam fees all the time.

So... Are they going to have to do this for each episode? Since the season pass is IAP... I wonder if they built in a way to credit it to us in-game? I doubt it.

matt360

If my iTunes account is a US account but I'm living in Japan with an iPhone bought in Japan, will they be able to gift it to me? I use US iTunes cards so I would assume so, but I just want to check and make sure.

"Don't trust anyone, not even me"

uh

Is this basically that PS2 game, Lifeline, but with touching instead of saying "go door"?

read the OT people :(

:p

It does seem like they will eventually get something sorted out... watch them have to gift $5 to everyone after each episode.... holy shit, that might be their only option lol.

gawdamn

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
I seem to remember the Apple 30% cut was brought up in the original Republique Kickstarter thread and they said they had it worked out or had it under control. But then again they thought they had international backers worked out as well.

Maybe their plan really was to just give as many gift codes as Apple would let them, and take a 30% hit on the rest. I suppose it's entirely possible that Apple is charging them $5 for every gift code, and they are just eating the difference between the $15 season pass and the $10 season pass they offered to backers. Which would mean they're only making $5 for every Season Pass sold to backers (minus the Amazon/Kickstarter cut) -- damn that would suck.

Out of curiosity, how does Steam handle this issue? What with Kickstarters and Humble Bundles and all, people manage to bypass Steam fees all the time.
Well they'd eventually get 70% of those $5 back via payment from apple for the gift codes they bought from themselves.

Really what they should have done is have a code/login system that would unlock the content like an IAP would for backers and make the app itself free. That does require a server and engineering obviously and I'm not sure apple would let that pass.

Jubern

If my iTunes account is a US account but I'm living in Japan with an iPhone bought in Japan, will they be able to gift it to me? I use US iTunes cards so I would assume so, but I just want to check and make sure.

I'm pretty sure it will be okay, there really shouldn't be any reason it doesn't work, but don't take my word for it.

matt360

I'm pretty sure it will be okay, there really shouldn't be any reason it doesn't work, but don't take my word for it.

I wish they were a little more clear with their wording. They say "international backer" but plenty of international users don't use iTunes accounts from their countries of residence. They should say "people with non-US iTunes accounts." Then it would be clear that it doesn't matter where you live. Even though making a US account is free and easy, I suppose it would be crossing a line if they asked backers with non-US accounts to do so.

colinp

Banned
I wish they were a little more clear with their wording. They say "international backer" but plenty of international users don't use iTunes accounts from their countries of residence. They should say "people with non-US iTunes accounts." Then it would be clear that it doesn't matter where you live. Even though making a US account is free and easy, I suppose it would be crossing a line if they asked backers with non-US accounts to do so.

I'm 100% sure you'll be fine. It's for US accounts only. You're right, they could word it a bit better.

JohngPR

This is the stuff that makes it hard to get behind a kickstarter campaign. So pretty much they under priced the game are are charging us all five bucks for a demo now, that's not what I backed. Seriously weak sauce.

For international folks, they are giving back $5 so you get the first chapter for free. They haven't given the season pass yet to any backers, so I'm assuming they are going to either find a way to get that to folks that are out of the US or will refund that amount too when they start sending everyone else their season passes.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The OT for this game is now about the Kickstarter, lol. I feel bad for the team, sounds like a major clusterfuck. I still don't get how they're giving out Season Pass

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Non-backer here. Bought the first episode when I saw in the iOS App Store. Played about an hour. Not hooked so far. I think it's maybe because you, as the player, are supposed to be controlling the cameras and such but you're also controlling the character Hope. I'm not sure if another control scheme or having Hope auto-move would be better but I'm not digging it as much as I would've thought. I also currently find the referential humor a little too on the nose. Just my quick impressions. It's pretty though and the voice acting seems solid so far too.

zroid

Banned
The OT for this game is now about the Kickstarter, lol. I feel bad for the team, sounds like a major clusterfuck. I still don't get how they're giving out Season Pass

'Cause everyone on here who wanted to play the game is a backer still waiting for their copy! :lol

matt360

Yeah, while there have been some oversights for sure, it seems like they are doing the best to remedy everything. And it seems like most of us here in this thread are being pretty understanding about the whole thing. It's kinda nice to see. Who knows where it'll go from here, though.

zroid

Banned
Eurogamer review: 8/10

It has a strong, interesting female lead, a story that is smart but also funny, and gameplay that takes full advantage of the iOS platform while still delivering the depth and variety you'd expect from a major console release. Republique ticks a lot of boxes, in other words, and the only criticism that really sticks is that there's not quite as much challenge as you may like. With another four chapters to go, however, there's plenty of time even for that to change. Fans of smart sci-fi and bold game design should jump aboard now.

Both backers and the team, I feel real bad for them. I can only imagine how it feels. Oof.

Hopefully the critical reception is a comfort.

I'm going to buy the game and not wait until the refund arrives.

JohngPR

It's the chance you take when backing something I suppose. It seems as though they are trying their best and were going as far as to manual send everyone codes since their plans fell through, shows they are committed. It must be bittersweet for them.

I did at least get the link to DL all the digital extras that I have coming to me. I feel for the international backers. I really do hope that a $5 refund isn't the extent of what they will do to try and make things right. I would be seriously surprised if it was.

zroid

Banned
I did at least get the link to DL all the digital extras that I have coming to me. I feel for the international backers. I really do hope that a $5 refund isn't the extent of what they will do to try and make things right. I would be seriously surprised if it was.

Though I'm not an iOS backer, if I were, I'd actually be paying 13% tax on the $5 price of the game, which makes it kind of a bummer to receive a $5 refund.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
At the very least, they need to be transparent with how the season pass will be delivered. Will international backers receive a 15 dollar check in the mail or something? They're probably more worried about the immediate problem I suppose.

Just a quick clarification: we have not rolled out our plans to issue season passes. The logistics associated with providing them aren't a concern. The hard part is actually getting episode 1 out to backers :/

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Just a quick clarification: we have not rolled out our plans to issue season passes. The logistics associated with providing them aren't a concern. The hard part is actually getting episode 1 out to backers :/
That should probably be in bold somewhere in the latest update, at least for international backers.

PizzaFarmer

Just finished episode 1. Wow, that was surprisingly great.

Started on an iPhone 4, but load time wasn't good and the small screen made it tough to aim. Switched to iPad Mini and am thrilled with the results. The visuals are beautiful, the soundtrack is still stuck in my head and gameplay mechanics are perfectly designed for touchscreen.

The narrative was entertaining, moved quickly and never bored me with long scrolling text (AC4: Black Flag, I'm looking at you)

numble

I am properly pissed off at Camouflaj for this mess that they have thrown themselves into. I cannot believe how a project of this scale can fall into a trap of utter incompetence.

But it gets worse for me.

I am an international backer. Also, Republique is a game that I have supported with more money than their now apparent stupidity is worth. Good intentions? Yeah right.

When I backed this game, it was an iOS only game. PC and Mac came way later. I still have an Apple phone and I want to play this game on my phone. But now I have to do some retarded refund thing via Amazon Payments and supposedly get the money back into some of my accounts that I cannot probably outright use.

But here's the clincher: the game Republique is not on the AppStore for the country I live in (Estonia).

I hope that they at least spent my money on some good pizza or booze.

Thanks for nothing guys, thanks for nothing.
You can try making a free US iTunes account. Not the most optimal solution, but it would still get you the game.

glaurung

You can try making a free US iTunes account. Not the most optimal solution, but it would still get you the game.
I edited my post. The game is now up on my local AppStore.

And what good would the US iTunes account do me? How am I supposed to juggle two separate accounts on my phone. I don't even know if that would work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
And what good would the US iTunes account do me? How am I supposed to juggle two separate accounts on my phone. I don't even know if that would work.

Pretty simple really, you login to the US account, initiate the download, then sign out and go back to your own Apple account to resume normal operations. That's pretty much it

You'd probably need to go back on the US account again depending how the season pass thing is done but other than that you wouldn't need to touch the account again unless you want to redownload it

I'm juggling like 5 accounts right now

numble

I edited my post. The game is now up on my local AppStore.

It's actually very easy to juggle accounts these days. You just sign in and out. Many people do that to get early access to games (a lot of online games are tested several months earlier in Australia/NZ, and almost all apps are released like 24 hours earlier in NZ), play Japanese games, redeem US Starbucks codes, etc. I do it to get access to apps that are only available in specific countries (a lot of Chinese apps for example, are only in the Chinese App Store).

glaurung

I'm juggling like 5 accounts right now
Interesting... I might have to look into this once I want some of those better games that have never been released on my local shitty store.

And that elusive PlayStation App, which isn't on my local AppStore either. I suppose I need a UK account for that one.

Xater

What this teached me is to never back another iOS project on Kickstarter. I really hope that as an international backer I will still get my season pass.

I like Ryan Payton and always intended to buy Republique when it came out.

Went to buy it yesterday on my iPad mini and saw this:
Requirements :
Requires iOS 7.0 or later

Sorry. I don't like iOS 7, never upgraded, cant play your game.
Oh well.

Arcayne

I like Ryan Payton and always intended to buy Republique when it came out.

Went to buy it yesterday on my iPad mini and saw this:
Requirements :
Requires iOS 7.0 or later

Sorry. I don't like iOS 7, never upgraded, cant play your game.
Oh well.

Well...ugh.. goddamnit. Glad I didn't do an impulse buy tonight. I was so close :{

Quick edit: It's $5 per episode? I'll wait for more extensive impressions before jumping on this one.

Top Bottom