• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

Brandson

Canadian backer here. You would think that Apple would be willing to come up with a permanent solution to this problem, since it will be happening again and again as other internationally-backed Kickstarters release their games. Perhaps the team could try to work a bit harder with Apple on this now, instead of doing what they are currently proposing.

tomedo

True AAA experience to buy this from app store after paying for it once already.

...yeah I knew the risks when I backed the game - Im more angry at myself than the dev team.

Omikaru

As I understand it, before the Kickstarter began they talked things over with Apple who gave them assurances, which they then gave to backers. Unless I'm getting my wires crossed with another Kickstarter (though this is the only iOS game I've backed), then this was pretty much made explicit before and during the crowdfunding campaign, which is the only reason I threw my money in. Now whether there was a miscommunication on how this worked, or Apple gave them the shaft and reneged on their assurances later on, I don't know.

Whatever happened, I'm not sure I want to blame Camouflaj for this. They've been pretty upfront with us backers every step of the way, and I seriously feel they've been shafted as much as us international customers have. At least they are trying to make things right with the refund to international customers and whatnot, though I am concerned with how getting us the season pass will pan out.

What I do know is that I won't back any future iOS projects. Too risky because Apple doesn't have a system in place to accommodate crowdfunding.

Camouflaj still should have some blame. if shit was this wack, they should have got a good grasp about it a bit earlier and notified backers.

I think im backing maybe 1 more ios game atm, curious how they handle it.

Still, being disappointed that I can't play the game because its getting good scores beats being disappointed that the game is actually turd and i threw money at that.

A few things:

1. You can't "work harder with Apple". Apple is a black box. They have no department waiting eagerly to help out developers. EA themselves cannot get Apple to up their gift code limit. As much as I like iOS as a platform, they are basically like Youtube in this regard: "either get with our rules or get out".

The most obvious example of Apple's fair, but stiff approach is their bug database. You can submit bugs to Apple regarding iOS, OSX, etc. They will tell you the resolution (i.e.: solved, duplicate, as designed) but developers have no access to the list so they can't tell if a bug was already filed, what the actual fix was, or if that fix is ever coming.

2. In theory, IAP (such as the season pass) is a lot easier to fix because it's just about setting a permissions flag. But not explaining that up front was such an obvious mistake.

3. As explained, it's absolutely possible to have multiple account regions on your device. As someone who has lived in multiple countries I have done this for years. A bit of a pain at times for updates, but it does work. The only problem is - just like with PSN/XBL - you need a regional gift card or credit card to put money on it.

4. Yeah, you would think Apple would solve the whole thing, particularly given the power of Kickstarter these days. But if there's anything we've learned about them over the years, it's that games are just another genre of app. :/

Though I'm not an iOS backer, if I were, I'd actually be paying 13% tax on the $5 price of the game, which makes it kind of a bummer to receive a $5 refund.

And this is why you need to email their support. I'm pretty sure Camouflaj would refund you the exact amount. They have been nothing but helpful in that regard.

Jubern

I bought the app after doing the survey, as instructed. It looks REALLY interesting, but I'll have to wait before really getting into it as it's borderline unplayable on iPhone 4. Kind of expected it so I'm not mad, and I should switch to a 5S in a few weeks!

I bought the app after doing the survey, as instructed. It looks REALLY interesting, but I'll have to wait before really getting into it as it's borderline unplayable on iPhone 4. Kind of expected it so I'm not mad, and I should switch to a 5S in a few weeks!

its funny because when the ks was announced, i believe i was on a iphone 4... or maybe 4S don't remember.

weird that it is ios7 only though, is it because of controller support? What the hell is controller support for this game anyways? Isn't it basically 'point and click' genre?

epmode

Yeah, I was surprised when this Kickstarter went up because I was under the impression that iOS game fulfillment is basically impossible without manually gifting each copy. I figured that they must have sorted something out with Apple.

I know of quite a few more crowdfunded iOS games. This is going to get worse before it gets better.

I would use the word incompetent.

"Discovering" something of this ilk so late into the release process is quite unforgivable.

Well, you see... They really need that money to make the game. That's a good reason, right?

But besides the ridiculous assumptions on the developer's part, Apple's attitude toward videogames is awful.

Aaron

I bet a lot of these kickstarter creators assumed Apple would have a better solution by the time their game was ready to ship. They forgot that Apple does not give a fuck.

Mrbob

Wow, Apple is such An amazing company. Except when dealing with developers who help push hardware sales for their platform. A story that won't get told because we can never question the genius of Apple. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. Definitely the last iOS kick starter I support.

thumb

Banned
As a backer, I've been very pleased with Camouflaj. They've had lots of detailed updates and hours of podcasts about all aspects of the game's development.

To make up for the iOS fulfillment delays, they have granted digital versions of the soundtrack and part of the guidebook to all backers. They've also started to add behind the scenes videos and they promise more to come.

Camouflaj was apparently given bad info by apple. Now they have workers and volunteers spending all day manually entering iOS codes. They appear to have done everything in their power to rectify the mistake.

zroid

Banned
Since Camouflaj peeps seem to be reading this, just wanted to say sorry if any of my earlier posts came off as hostile. Wasn't my intention. Definitely think you guys are working extremely hard at getting these issues sorted out right now. Obviously to resort to such measures is rough on everyone.

Even if things could've been handled better from the start, it's clear you're willing to do whatever is necessary to give the backers what they were promised and then some, which doesn't go unappreciated. Hopefully other devs will be able to learn some lessons from this regarding large-scale iOS kickstarter campaigns.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
its funny because when the ks was announced, i believe i was on a iphone 4... or maybe 4S don't remember.

weird that it is ios7 only though, is it because of controller support? What the hell is controller support for this game anyways? Isn't it basically 'point and click' genre?

Speaking of which, the game asks for location data. Any purpose? It seemed like it was constantly checking location when it was on, a waste of battery

So, beyond the Kickstarter fulfillment issues, which everyone should've seen coming a mile away, does this game revolutionize iOS gaming and usher in the era of AAA-games on the platform? Serious question.

I listened to Ryan on the 8-4 Play podcast, and he felt that the game would legitimately shake things up.

So, beyond the Kickstarter fulfillment issues, which everyone should've seen coming a mile away, does this game revolutionize iOS gaming and usher in the era of AAA-games on the platform? Serious question.

I listened to Ryan on the 8-4 Play podcast, and he felt that the game would legitimately shake things up.

its already happening before this game came out.... in the opposite way as in AAA games are learning from the microtransaction ways of mobile ;)

who knows if this does anything, but premium priced games do pretty well on iOS today.

XCOM apparently sold surprisingly well at $20. SE still puts out games so i guess their sales at them prices are good enough for them.

that zelda clone, oceanhorn is doing well enough to warrant a sequel.

san andreas is near the top of the charts at $7.

There is a market for games priced higher than $.99

codhand

im sure they wanted this to happen, kinda like a meta experience, real life dlc if you will, im sure they love scrambling and being stressed during what should be a joyous time for them,

Speaking of which, the game asks for location data. Any purpose? It seemed like it was constantly checking location when it was on, a waste of battery

it's so that ryan can spy on you

AHA-Lambda

Holy shit. If I understand this correctly, since I don't use a US account all they can do is gift me 5$ so I buy the first chapter of the game? And I don't get the rest? This can't be true?

Wow, really?! So glad I pulled out of this kickstarter.

thumb

Banned
Holy shit. If I understand this correctly, since I don't use a US account all they can do is gift me 5$ so I buy the first chapter of the game? And I don't get the rest? This can't be true?

My understanding is that they are working on a solution for the season pass for international backers. They're not just going to shaft you.

Was reading a blog about another company that went through this, it said after they'd gifted around 500 people it stopped allowing gifts because of some arbitrary gift/time limit. Has this come up yet?

ringlord

You guys.

They are getting you the game. Yes, it's in a roundabout way, but they are delivering. Plus the game is getting good buzz. The negatives here are small potatoes compared to a lot of other kickstarters.

Their explanations seem reasonable and they are being very transparent. They are losing money on each game gifted or refunded/repurchased because of Apple's cut, yet they are still doing it without mentioning this detail or complaining about it because they want to live up to their bargain of getting you the game for the price you paid.

Seems to me they deserve some slack.

JohngPR

Lot of reading fails here. (But to be expected since they didn't explain the pass stuff in the backer update.)

Can't wait to download once I get home.

Totally agree. They could have done a better job of explaining how they are giving the app (and episode 1) now and doing the season pass stuff later, but I discerned that stuff from reading their updates. There seems to be a lot of jumping to conclusions.

Not trying (or wanting) to rub it in, but I got my code early this morning.
tIUtsu1.jpg

I'm not sure what order they are doing this by, if it's by how soon you backed it or how soon you sent the latest survey, but I did both relatively early.

Coconut

Banned
You guys.

They are getting you the game. Yes, it's in a roundabout way, but they are delivering. Plus the game is getting good buzz. The negatives here are small potatoes compared to a lot of other kickstarters.

Their explanations seem reasonable and they are being very transparent. They are losing money on each game gifted or refunded/repurchased because of Apple's cut, yet they are still doing it without mentioning this detail or complaining about it because they want to live up to their bargain of getting you the game for the price you paid.

Seems to me they deserve some slack.

Correction they are getting us the first episode.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
Camouflaj was apparently given bad info by apple. Now they have workers and volunteers spending all day manually entering iOS codes. They appear to have done everything in their power to rectify the mistake.
They were given bad info by a "credible source", which could mean anything. If it was apple they would have said so. Apple is always upfront that they won't budge on their rules. Other than that, they really are a black box.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So what's the current status on this? I'm still not clear on how this whole thing will pan out.

ringlord

So on the low end a backer has paid 5$ but the number I saw for the season was 15$. That's a big price difference. I don't buy it.

?? I don't get what you're saying.

The lowest kickstarter tier was $10. That gets you $20 worth of game ($5 initial + $15 season pass), plus a lot of other extras like the soundtrack for episode 1, etc.

zroid

Banned
Why doesn't Apple just let publishers purchase codes from them at the cost of whatever cut they take from each sale. 30%, is it?

The end result is the same as the pub gifting copies manually... just without the pain and suffering along the way.

numble

So on the low end a backer has paid 5$ but the number I saw for the season was 15$. That's a big price difference. I don't buy it.

Just a quick clarification: we have not rolled out our plans to issue season passes. The logistics associated with providing them aren't a concern. The hard part is actually getting episode 1 out to backers :/

They paid money for the full game 1.5 years in advance.

No he doesn't...do you mean Keifer Sutherland?
thatsthejoke

So what's the current status on this? I'm still not clear on how this whole thing will pan out.

They finished the game. but decided to split it up and sell it episodically, Telltale style. Eps one came out, reviewed positively.

Snafuu for ks backers. (apple has limitation of 50 promo codes of a game per release/update). First attempt is to gift everyone the game, but snafu is that you can't gift international accounts, so right now they are gonna gift US folks the games, and refund $5 back to international backers.

the rest of the seasons are still promised to be 'free' with backers. how those will be distributed is TBA.

Atomski

Note to self.. dont support ios kickstarters.

Anyways I am down for the PC version but yeah had no idea what a joke Apple had setup for their store. Wonder if PS4 and Xbone allow devs to generate infinite game invites.. doubt it.

border

Not really no. I don't think this is the sort of game people want on a phone. Maybe on a tablet. I think even if you enjoy it you'll probably find yourself questioning why it had to be on iOS, and how much better it might have been on a PC or console.

Not really no. I don't think this is the sort of game people want on a phone. Maybe on a tablet. I think even if you enjoy it you'll probably find yourself questioning why it had to be on iOS, and how much better it might have been on a PC or console.
Idk. Haven't played it yet but it clearly seems like a game designed for touch or mouse.

Those games never translate well to consoles.

Phreaker

What I don't get about these survey's is them asking us if we really want what we paid for/kickstarted. If the answer was no I wouldn't be taking theses surveys to get my code. I'm excited to play the game, but a bit underwhelmed with how this whole thing has been handled.

jett

D-Member
I feel sorry for Camouflaj, seems this could hit 'em hard. Too bad they didn't research this shit, kickstarting iOS projects sems like a no-go.

Just read the update and went through the survey. That's insanely amateurish. "Trust us, we'll refund you. Could you please look for your transaction ID" sounds so terrible.

One thing I don't get: I'm in the $20 bracket so I should have gotten all episodes of both versions and now, they'll eventually give me back $5 while the game+season pass add up to 20€?

I feel sorry for Camouflaj, seems this could hit 'em hard.
I don't.

One thing I don't get: I'm in the $20 bracket so I should have gotten all episodes of both versions and now, they'll eventually give me back $5 while the game+season pass add up to 20€

If you've followed any of the backer updates, only ep 1 is ready and "out". Getting the whole game basically means you get a season pass that unlocks each extra ep as it becomes available. They are busy trying to get every backer episode 1 now, and then will start handing out season passes so backers are covered for episode 2 and beyond.

HBP

Why doesn't Apple just let publishers purchase codes from them at the cost of whatever cut they take from each sale. 30%, is it?

The end result is the same as the pub gifting copies manually... just without the pain and suffering along the way.

I feel like I read somewhere that they were going to do this, but I can't remember where.

If you've followed any of the backer updates, only ep 1 is ready and "out". Getting the whole game basically means you get a season pass that unlocks each extra ep as it becomes available. They are busy trying to get every backer episode 1 now, and then will start handing out season passes so backers are covered for episode 2 and beyond.
Except I can't see how they'd somehow hand out the season pass when they can't do that with Ep 1 to begin with.

Edit: nm, they clarified on the previous page ITT that they had it figured out for the season pass. Pardon me if I'm still skeptical though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Mandatory iOS7? :(
Not enough reasons yet to force me to upgrade to that piece of shit OS.
Too bad, I wanted to support this project (straight on the AppStore tho, not kickstarting it).

Top Bottom