• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

Alchemy

I'm so confused about what is going on. I'm Canadian and got the PC and IOS version. Gave them my gfs apple ID so she'd get the IOS version, and she never recieved anything. Now I see this flash sale for 0.99 with the season pass, but when I go to search for Republique, only episode 1 for 4.99 shows up.

From what I can tell you can't buy the Season Pass without buying Episode 1 (in app purchase), so the total package is $6 since Episode 1 isn't discounted.

LiK

if you guys haven't received your backer copy, you should email them. they've requested that in their updates quite often.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm so confused about what is going on. I'm Canadian and got the PC and IOS version. Gave them my gfs apple ID so she'd get the IOS version, and she never recieved anything. Now I see this flash sale for 0.99 with the season pass, but when I go to search for Republique, only episode 1 for 4.99 shows up.

I am in exactly the same boat. Where is my promised copy? I was a backer since the first few days of the kickstarter...

Anyone outside of the US has to buy the game themselves and get a 5 dollar refund from them via paypal.

Yeah, it's strange that they seemingly rushed to "fulfil" the season pass.
Feels like they should do a video or something of them walking through what they tried, why it wouldn't work etc.
The email(s) about the 99c offer.. could use a personal touch.

I can of course only imagine how tough it must be for them, giving bad news to fans / customers like this.. it must be a really hard thing to swallow.

Hopefully we hear about Episode 2 soon?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone knows what the game uses location services for? If it isn't for any in-game purpose I'd rather turn it off to conserve battery.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
I just finished episode 1 and I really enjoyed it. I thought the touch controls worked very well in the context of the game. The only thing that kind of irked me were the waypoints be hard to see, although that might be intentional. I also really liked the collectibles being actual games on the app store. I find it pretty hard to sift through recommendations so actually having a play mechanic that gives me good recommendations is pretty sweet. I'm definitely going to keep playing.

LiK

i noticed with tax, i actually lost a few cents to Season Pass thing even after they gave me the $1 refund. kinda amusing.

Phatcorns

Has anyone managed to play through this without getting caught over and over? I'm really trying to give this as much of a chance as I can because I agree with most of Ryan Payton's gaming sensibilities, but man nothing is clicking. What is the gameplay flow exactly? Is it mostly just finding the right vantage point, waiting for a guard to go through their whole route so you know when to move, and then moving? Either I'm too impatient or it's just a little too frustrating to get hope to move around exactly where you want. I'm also finding it extremely difficult to know where exactly I am in the overall space, not just within one room.

Oh well, gonna give it some more time tomorrow as well. I picked up the game right at launch but out it down for these reasons and after listening to their podcast again I really want to give it another shot.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Cross-posting this here from the iOS thread since I ended up writing more than I expected:

pbwo5bi.png

Completed Republique yesterday. I had to replay to get the Exordium achievement because when I beat the game the first time I had no internet signal and it didn't register. :p Beating the game again on NG+ doesn't trigger it either. Thankfully the second run was quick since I didn't scan almost anything and had already memorized all areas when I was going after collectibles.

Really enjoyed it, great game with well-rounded, albeit simple, stealth mechanics. Cooper is what really sold the intriguing setting and story to me though, by far the best character and the mix of deadpan humor, the emoticon faces and text-to-speech voice was lovely. The books and game cartridges were cool and I actively wanted to get them all to listen to everything. Having an in-game character giving impressions of games that actually exist was a very nice touch.

Looking forward to the rest of the episodes, and I'm curious to what they'll do in regards to the gameplay in order to keep it fresh for 4 more. I'm glad I played it on the iPhone, made for an interesting experience and it was a surprisingly good pick-up-and-play game for shorter sessions. The one-touch gameplay works very well after you get used to proper camera positioning before making Hope move. I'm not sure how it will translate to the PC version as far as being engaging goes though, I'm guessing they'll have to change some things.

I appreciate how polished everything felt. Even without listening to the commentaries (I only did it after beating it once, as I had them turned off on the first go) it's noticeable how they have a solid plan and aren't trying to throw too many things at the wall to see what sticks.

Amusing to see GAF mentioned like that on episode 0 of the making of too, haha.

jakomocha

It's a little odd that we are already three months into 2014 and there has been barely any (if any) news on the second episode.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been waiting for my boxed copy of the full game on PC this whole time. My hope is that I somehow circumvent all of this.

The fact that I cannot restore my season pass purchase after reinstalling the game leads me to believe that something is very wrong.

mr_toa

The fact that I cannot restore my season pass purchase after reinstalling the game leads me to believe that something is very wrong.

Same here - gives me bad vibes. Contacted their support, so far no dice.

According to their twitter, they are aware of the issue and working on a fix.

edit: update 2.1 is out - didn't solve the restore issue with the season pass for me, but did unlock the episode 2 for seperate purchase ...

Same here - gives me bad vibes. Contacted their support, so far no dice.

According to their twitter, they are aware of the issue and working on a fix.

edit: update 2.1 is out - didn't solve the restore issue with the season pass for me, but did unlock the episode 2 for seperate purchase ...

Unfortunately, I think those tweets are old. 2.1 hasn't fixed the issue.

Kattbuss

Unfortunately, I think those tweets are old. 2.1 hasn't fixed the issue.
I got it work by redownloading the season pass, it said I would be charged at first but after pressing ok it said I already owned it and if I wanted to download again. Then I had to press purchase on the episode select screen to get the download prompt. A bit of a hassle but at least it works now :)

I got it work by redownloading the season pass, it said I would be charged at first but after pressing ok it said I already owned it and if I wanted to download again. Then I had to press purchase on the episode select screen to get the download prompt. A bit of a hassle but at least it works now :)

Make sure you didn't get charged a second time for the season pass. A buddy did the same thing and got dinged another 14.99.

They changed the price of Episode 2 to free. That doesn't bode well.

Spoit

There are many sites that track not only app prices, but IAP prices as well. It's also on the App Store.

I wasn't a backer, so if I were to see that price drop, I'd be telling people. And if I wrote for a gaming site, I'd be posting about it just like any other price drop in a popular game. How would I know it was supposed to be a secret?

What are those other sites? There are some other 'free+ IAP full game unlock' games that I've been keeping an eye on

border

I'm not sure if it's funny or sad how phenomenally botched this game's rollout has been at every step of the way.

The game was intentionally positioned to prove the viability of the iOS platform for "core" games, and instead it seems to be revealing all the weakenesses of iOS.

cvxfreak

I managed to download Episode 2, but when I start it, it's stuck at the ringing screen. I have the latest update from the App Store. Any hints?

Jubern

After checking this thread I just checked my game and sure enough it asks me to buy Episode 2. I hope everything gets sorted for them... But this is painful for involving, including backers.

Kattbuss

Make sure you didn't get charged a second time for the season pass. A buddy did the same thing and got dinged another 14.99.

They changed the price of Episode 2 to free. That doesn't bode well.
I got the message "do you wish to purchase?" After pressing Yes it said I already owned it, never got charged a second time.
I feel really bad for the guys who made it and wish them better luck. The game is still awesome despite these technical issues.

cvxfreak

The green answer button doesn't work?

Nope. But Camouflaj kindly provided the fix for me. Just delete and redownload Episode 2, and make sure you're on Version 2.1 of the game.

Enjoying it so far! My face appears in the game as a Prizrak guard. :p

There's this one room where a piano theme plays, and it really reminds me of CODE: Veronica. :)

Grisby

After a hell of a time trying to get episode 2 to work I finally got it to download.

However, now I can't go back to episode 1? Wanted to go collect all of the objects before moving on to the second one. When I try to tap episode 1 though, nothing happens.

So, let me guess the only way to go back into episode 1 is to start a whole new save slot?

Edit- seems like you can go back to the previous areas. I suppose I should have guessed this considering there are higher level doors in episode 1.

Episode 2's location looks great.

Edit 2- Beat episode 2. Liked it a lot better than the first.

Came back the next day, thinking I might try a new game plus and my save is gone. Deleted. Way to go devs.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
PC closed beta keys seem to be going out. Backers, check your email!

I backed this a long time ago and have only vaguely followed it in the time since. This is the first time it'll be playable on PC for backers right? Will keep an eye on that email...

BBboy20

Downloaded...now to eat something before playing it.

EDIT: There is an embargo but I will just say the PC version has been done justice.

PC closed beta keys seem to be going out. Backers, check your email!

Just to clarify: the closed beta was opt-in. If you didn't respond to the call for beta volunteers that was sent out in a recent Kickstarter update, you won't be getting a key, even if you're a PC backer. (The logic being that the majority of people decided they'd rather wait until the game is ready for retail.)

Ah yes, good point and one I meant to include. Though I'd figure the people who backed for PC and frequent this thread probably fit that bill! I know I did! Hope to give it a run-through tonight...

And congrats on getting the beta out!

synce

I just started episode 2 and don't think I can go much further... does the story pick up anytime soon? I'm just finding it so tedious to constantly hop from camera to camera and my only reward most of the time is an audio tape. I wish you could at least skip the audio and read through it instead. Everything is so slow paced

Top Bottom