• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

République |OT| Episode 2 Now Available

LiK

The sale is gonna be all over deal sites tomm. Asking backers to keep it a secret won't work especially for this.

I don't get why they just didn't buy iTunes Gift Cards for each backer's region. You can send the codes via email. This is just a silly way of handling this situation. So called "secret sales" to fulfill season passes? What?

Buying cards for each region is difficult; you can't just ask Apple for it, and you can't use foreign CCs on iTunes.

The comment in the backer update does explain a bit of what their plans were (option 1: Apple method which failed, option 2: internal codes, which Apple then rejected) but I've already called Camouflaj out on not really explaining this. Unless there are NDAs in the way the exact process and what happened should have been explained from day one

depward

The way they're handling season pass fulfillment makes me believe this is absolutely the ONLY way they can do it. I'm sure they're none too happy about it as well.

FStop7

Banned
The way they're handling season pass fulfillment makes me believe this is absolutely the ONLY way they can do it. I'm sure they're none too happy about it as well.

Not my problem. This isn't what I paid for and it's not what I was promised. I'll never back another one of their projects.

border

AAA production values, D-grade commerce solutions.

The sale is gonna be all over deal sites tomm. Asking backers to keep it a secret won't work especially for this.

Especially when you've just pissed off all the backers anyway. "Hey guys, we know that we've totally bungled the entire process and made you spend more money than you pledged, but could you please keep this a secret for us?"

Have they discussed what happens to backers that are too busy to follow their updates during the next 48-hours and miss out on the sale? Are they just going to have to slash the price of the Season Pass once a month until all the backers have been satisfied?

Aaron

This is a terrible, terrible way of doing things. I would have much rather they delay fulfillment and think of a better solution, because as a backer of what I think is a good game this is insulting.

LiK

AAA production values, D-grade commerce solutions.

Especially when you've just pissed off all the backers anyway. "Hey guys, we know that we've totally bungled the entire process and made you spend more money than you pledged, but could you please keep this a secret for us?"

Have they discussed what happens to backers that are too busy to follow their updates during the next 48-hours and miss out on the sale? Are they just going to have to slash the price of the Season Pass once a month until all the backers have been satisfied?

I agree, It's not a good way to handle this. I suppose I can congratulate all the nonbackers who get this sweet discount. lol

I don't know the specifics of IAP integration for iOS apps, but Ticket to Ride on Android has a system that allows the company to handle fulfillment of things like DLC codes themselves--basically, you connect the app to an account, and then you can log into said account online and redeem codes just like you would for Steam/Desura. The account then recognizes that you own the DLC in question and gives you the content you bought. That's how the expansion packs were provided for BTA buyers when Ticket to Ride was part of an Android Humble Bundle.

I'm not sure if Apple locks out that kind of functionality because they want a piece of that income. If they do, then Apple's even more to blame because what the hell, but then Camouflaj should've known that would be an issue as soon as they decided on the episodic model. If they don't, then Camouflaj could have built an account/redeem system to handle this stuff and they chose not to. So either they think the potential revenue loss for selling the other episodes for $1 will be less than the definite costs of building said system and ensuring only backers could get free season passes, or they just don't give a shit.

HBP

I don't know the specifics of IAP integration for iOS apps, but Ticket to Ride on Android has a system that allows the company to handle fulfillment of things like DLC codes themselves--basically, you connect the app to an account, and then you can log into said account online and redeem codes just like you would for Steam/Desura. The account then recognizes that you own the DLC in question and gives you the content you bought. That's how the expansion packs were provided for BTA buyers when Ticket to Ride was part of an Android Humble Bundle.

I'm not sure if Apple locks out that kind of functionality because they want a piece of that income. If they do, then Apple's even more to blame because what the hell, but then Camouflaj should've known that would be an issue as soon as they decided on the episodic model. If they don't, then Camouflaj could have built an account/redeem system to handle this stuff and they chose not to. So either they think the potential revenue loss for selling the other episodes for $1 will be less than the definite costs of building said system and ensuring only backers could get free season passes, or they just don't give a shit.

I know devs can gift things like in game currency so I am not certain how this is difference. For example you have a unique code in the Nimblebit games and they can send coins.

massoluk

Banned
I'm confused why they choose to do it like this. Sound like something that can be solved with in-apps solution. (Free Republique game, 1 Republique coin for one episode. Kickstarter backer gets one Republique coin when an episode is released)

I backed the $20 iOS and PC version. I want to wait for the PC version, does anything that is going on right Now affect me or can I just ignore it.

I know devs can gift things like in game currency so I am not certain how this is difference. For example you have a unique code in the Nimblebit games and they can send coins.

If the gifting has to go through Apple's systems then I expect region-specific storefronts will nix that plan the same way it did the attempt to gift the first episode to international backers. But if not, then yeah, that seems ridonkulous unless they decided not to bother because it was too much work or something.

I backed the $20 iOS and PC version. I want to wait for the PC version, does anything that is going on right Joel's affect me or can I just ignore it.

None of this should affect the PC version unless Camouflaj suddenly goes nuts and says "hey guys we can't gift people the game on Steam so like we're making it free for seventeen minutes and forty-two seconds." You'll probably be fine. I just backed for the PC version and I'm not worried.

Saw this yesterday and just had to laugh. I still never redeemed my gift copy of Episode 1 because it requires updating to the latest iOS which I refuse to do as I've not had good experiences with that.

I think I'm waiting for the PC version at this point.

pje122

Not my problem. This isn't what I paid for and it's not what I was promised. I'll never back another one of their projects.
You didn't pay for anything. You made a donation.
If you thought of kickstarter that way you'd be better off.

Slacker

You didn't pay for anything. You made a donation.
If you thought of kickstarter that way you'd be better off.

Kinda seems like he paid for something. On the KS page it doesn't say $10: Thanks for the donation. It says $10: Republique for iOS.

Zodzilla

Kinda seems like he paid for something. On the KS page it doesn't say $10: Thanks for the donation. It says $10: Republique for iOS.

And even though it was a pain in the ass work around, this is what they're providing as much as they can. Sure, it's their fault that everything is so ass backwardly handled, but in the long run, they're doing everything they possibly can to provide a copy of the game for their people.

Short of changing the way Apple runs their App business, there's not much else they can do aside from these weird work arounds, so I'm not sure why everyone is so insistent on complaining about it right now.

Also, with Kickstarter, you have to realize that there's an inherent risk that the project could theoretically fail. This is why I've never been perturbed by the turmoils of Doublefine's release schedule. I put in my Kickstarter pledge as an act of faith that I'd receive a project but, due to my understanding of the complications that come up when creating a new product, I never thought that I was guaranteed a project.

epmode

Short of changing the way Apple runs their App business, there's not much else they can do aside from these weird work arounds, so I'm not sure why everyone is so insistent on complaining about it right now.

The thing that's annoying to me is that I was well aware of Apple's policies on key handouts when the Kickstarter was in progress, and I'm not even an iOS dev.

Lots of people raised these concerns at the start of the project but the devs just ignored them. Maybe they assumed that they'd be able to work something out with Apple? It's a terrible assumption.

And even though it was a pain in the ass work around, this is what they're providing as much as they can. Sure, it's their fault that everything is so ass backwardly handled, but in the long run, they're doing everything they possibly can to provide a copy of the game for their people.

Republique is a high-profile iOS Kickstarter project that arrived on the heels of the initial gaming boom (Broken Age, Project Eternity, etc.). More backers = more complaints.

Also, I wonder if Camouflaj regrets not targeting Android now. I almost didn't back the project because of their contributed insistence that Android wasn't worth the time or effort.

No_Style

Buying cards for each region is difficult; you can't just ask Apple for it, and you can't use foreign CCs on iTunes.

The comment in the backer update does explain a bit of what their plans were (option 1: Apple method which failed, option 2: internal codes, which Apple then rejected) but I've already called Camouflaj out on not really explaining this. Unless there are NDAs in the way the exact process and what happened should have been explained from day one

Apply for foreign CC. Find a friend or colleague in each of the major regions that backed and ask them to purchase the gift codes on their behalf. Buy gift cards via each other retailers like Amazon? Do whatever looks professional and impacts the fewest people. This secret sale, request refund thing looks like amateur hour.

But whatever. This isn't the most disappointing thing about this project.

Episode 1 itself was.

Going by the timeline on the Kickstarter update comment, plan A was unnamed Apple option, which never happened for unexplained reasons. Plan B was to use an internal codes system, which Apple rejected. Plan C was "oh crap, it's almost Xmas, what do we do now?" That's how it reads, anyway.

Not actually explaining this whole sequence in the backer updates was the real mistake.

Apply for foreign CC.

Huh? So you're suggesting the company apply for a CC in every region they have backers for? How does that even work? How the heck would they get a card?

Find a friend or colleague in each of the major regions that backed and ask them to purchase the gift codes on their behalf.

Again, you're assuming they have friends or colleagues in every region. There are a *lot* of them. But even if they just launched in EFIGS it's unlikely they have those connections. And hugely unlikely that anything of that scale could be accomplished in the timeframe they have stated. Especially not near Xmas.

Buy gift cards via each other retailers like Amazon?

Pretty sure you can't buy bulk multi-region cards on Amazon. You could risk ebay for small quantities but of course if your card/# isn't legit, bye-bye iTunes account....

Not ideal but I bought the season pass; I imagine they're counting on most people not bothering to ask for the $1 refund. Doesn't seem worth the hassle for anyone.

So, moving forward, are iOS kickstarters always going to be this fucked up? I hope PS4/PSN doesn't have these issues.

putermcgee

Knew they wouldn't be able to keep it a secret because of idiots. Whatever.
There are many sites that track not only app prices, but IAP prices as well. It's also on the App Store.

I wasn't a backer, so if I were to see that price drop, I'd be telling people. And if I wrote for a gaming site, I'd be posting about it just like any other price drop in a popular game. How would I know it was supposed to be a secret?

Aaron

I think app makers need to disclose the prices of IAP since you see them under the description in the app store, so I wouldn't be surprised if there's a way to pull that data automatically. Sales also spread like wildfire on the internet. No way was this staying a secret. It's also a shit solution for a backer who might be away from the internet for the few days between announcement and sale.

Their request is wholly unreasonable. They promised we would receive the full game, including the season pass, when we pledged. So far, they've forced us to buy the app, and now they're forcing us to buy the season pass. They have not held up their end of the bargain, so I will not respect their request.

It is done.

dick move, man. Also they never required you buy the app and they offered to refund you for the season pass, so your disgruntled attitude is unfounded.

border

it's already all over the various iOS gaming sites

Touch Arcade has it on their front page

http://toucharcade.com/2014/01/30/republique-season-pass-99c/

You just know Touch Arcade is gonna be reveling in this mess. They are the original Republique haters.

I honestly don't know how much this whole debacle is really going to cost them. iOS users are such cheapskates they probably won't even bother to buy a $5 game they've never heard of just so they can get the 99-cent Season pass.

numble

Couldn't they have jumped up the price of the base game for the day ?
That probably would've worked. Increase the price of base game to $30 or something, lower IAP to 99¢. People who already have the app wouldn't be affected by the price increase and can still take advantage of the IAP.

I haven't seen anything about this, but does the game support manual save backup through "File Sharing" spoke of iTunes? I really liked that 'Lili' did that, because it allowed for me to delete the app, and reinstall it at a later time, and just drag the save on.

Or does iCloud do that automatically? Alternatively is there any choice data that would need to carry over even?

On their podcast they mention working on a new pipeline to minimize file size between episodes, but until that gets here, what are my save options?

EDIT: Nevermind, found my answer on their Kickstarter page.

Well, I got it. I didn't love (but did like) the first episode so this is probably the max I would put into it after spending $5 originally.

Wthermans

Banned
You just know Touch Arcade is gonna be reveling in this mess. They are the original Republique haters.

I honestly don't know how much this whole debacle is really going to cost them. iOS users are such cheapskates they probably won't even bother to buy a $5 game they've never heard of just so they can get the 99-cent Season pass.
The $.99 deal is the only reason I am paying attention to this game....

conman

Can't speak for everyone with an iOS device, but I know that it was the exact opposite situation for me. I wanted to play the game, but I sure as hell wasn't going to pay $20 for it. Seeing the $0.99 season pass convinced me to dive in.

Fantastical

Death Prophet

When asking for a half of a million dollars, you better be sure you now how the fuck you're going to distribute it.

Zen

Banned
I'm so confused about what is going on. I'm Canadian and got the PC and IOS version. Gave them my gfs apple ID so she'd get the IOS version, and she never recieved anything. Now I see this flash sale for 0.99 with the season pass, but when I go to search for Republique, only episode 1 for 4.99 shows up.

Caoz

I'm so confused about what is going on. I'm Canadian and got the PC and IOS version. Gave them my gfs apple ID so she'd get the IOS version, and she never recieved anything. Now I see this flash sale for 0.99 with the season pass, but when I go to search for Republique, only episode 1 for 4.99 shows up.

I am in exactly the same boat. Where is my promised copy? I was a backer since the first few days of the kickstarter...

Top Bottom