• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

R.I.P. Kid's WB. And so ends Saturday morning cartoon blocks. :[

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Been a while since they killed off Fox Kids. I guess now it's Kid's WB!'s turn, as this is the end of the line.

So where does The Batman and the yet-to-even-be-aired Spectacular Spider-Man go? No one knows yet.

The animation world was sent spinning yesterday when Variety announced the CW TV network will be shutting down its Kids WB! Saturday morning animation block at the end of the 2007-8 season. The 12 year old Kids WB! was the last remaining animated block of Saturday morning programming left on any network, cable or broadcast that was produced in-house.

Starting with 2008, the five-hour block will be filled by 4Kids Entertainment, which currently does a more preschool-oriented syndicated block for Fox. 4Kids will handle all national commercial advertising, Variety reports, and will share in ad revenue with the CW. The CW's share will be applied against a guarantee 4Kids will pay the network. The deal will kick off in September of 2008, with 4Kids covering the 7:00 am – 12:00 pm timeslot.

The primary cause of this decision was simple: ratings and advertising revenue. An inside source confirmed what Variety reported that Kids WB! was losing a substantial number of viewers to cable networks including Nickelodeon, Disney and the Time-Warner owned Cartoon Network. According to the trade, the final blow came when a major sponsor, cereal manufacturer Kellogg’s, announced it was withdrawing all its advertising due to recent government pressure regarding child-oriented breakfast foods.

"This is a great transaction for both the CW and 4Kids Entertainment," CW chief operating officer John Maatta told the trade. Maatta added that 4Kids offered "substantial resources and laser-focus in this arena."

The news has left fans of not only comic book-based animation but also long term franchises like Scooby Doo and Tom & Jerry speculating on the future of their favorite weekend programs. According to the source, fans of The Batman, Legion of Super Heroes, the upcoming Spectacular Spider-Man and other comic book and animated stables should not be too concerned.

Simply put, the end of Kids WB! does not mean the end of Warner Bros. Animation, the source explained, pointing out that they are two completely separate entities. For many shows, Kids WB! was the outlet Warner Bros. Animation series used, but those series aren’t going to be cancelled at the end of the 2007-2008 season. “We are exploring a number of other avenues to direct this programming, from other networks to direct-to-DVD options,” the source said. “There are a wide field of possibilities to be explored.”

For example, Toon Disney’s Jetix block of programming is now showing Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series, and will soon begin airing Pinky and the Brain. Clearly, when Disney is airing Warner Bros. animated series, the distribution picture as well as visions of old studio rivalries needs to be re-thought.

An additional possible distribution outlet – T-Works, the upcoming online animation-centric Warner Bros. site. While the WB source stopped short of saying that T-Works would be the home for new episodes of animated series, it was announced that the new online venture would be the home to a yet-untitled Batman shortform series as well as an animated Wizard of Oz project.

Another distribution channel for Warner Bros. Animation’s projects – direct to DVD films. According to the source, sales of both Superman: Doomsday and the latest original Scooby Doo DVDs have exceeded projected sales by approximately 30%.

"We absolutely intend to stay true to our heritage," Warner Bros. TV Group President Bruce Rosenblum said to Variety. "This is an important business that touches many of the Warner Bros. divisions, and we have confidence that Lisa Judson and her team at Warner Bros. Animation will continue to build toward future opportunities.”

Rosenblum had more to say in a statement released to the media:

“Clearly, this was an issue that we examined closely with our partners at CBS,” Rosenblum said. “We fully believe it makes the most business sense for The CW in this broadcast marketplace. That being said, Warner Bros. has a long, successful track record in the animation business and we absolutely intend to stay true to our heritage by producing world-class animated entertainment for the children's market be it for cable, direct-to-DVD, broadband, wireless and platforms of the future.”

Meanwhile, 4Kids appears to be very pleased with themselves. Their contract with Fox has been extended to at least 2009, and now they also have a five year deal with The CW.

“We are delighted to be in business with The CW and secure distribution of 4Kids’ content for the next five broadcast seasons,” said Alfred R. Kahn, 4Kids Entertainment’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We have had tremendous success over the years collaborating with CW Network partner Warner Bros., to whom we licensed 4Kids’ hit TV series and movies such as Pokémon and Yu-Gi-Oh!. We think The CW’s outstanding affiliate lineup and young target demographic make the network a perfect fit for our programming and business initiatives,” said Kahn.

“We have tremendous faith in Saturday morning kids television, and with this deal we’ve renewed our commitment to remain a major player in children’s entertainment,” said Norman Grossfeld, President of 4Kids’ subsidiary 4Kids Productions. “We look forward to embracing the fans of Kids WB! and we welcome the opportunity to work with all the production companies, program distributors and advertisers that share our passion for the kids business. We also continue to value our relationship with the Fox Network and its affiliates. Fox recently exercised its option to extend the term of our deal with them through the end of the 2008-2009 broadcast season.”

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=131642

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
When I was a kid there were actually cartoons to watch on saturday morning. Not a bunch of this live-action and computer generated shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I just edited my original post.

And bolded one sentence that I found most ridiculous.

Our country is seriously a bunch of little politically correct "ono TEH KIDZ" wussies now.

esbern

so many great shows from my childhood..

pink and the brain
all those superman/batman series
even the jackie chan show was fun when i was young
then of course their was pokemon....which was just....strange

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Is this another "OMG when I was a kid we had good cartoons WAH WAH WAH" wank thread? Because I can rub one off right now.

Now where are kids going to learn about the importance of military superiority and the non-violence of war? Where will this generation's GI Joe rise from?

xaosslug

oh well. Their offerings were getting weaker and weaker as seasons passed, anyway. Good riddance!

omg rite said:
So where does The Batman and the yet-to-even-be-aired Spectacular Spider-Man go?
likely, Cartoon Network. I mean, they used to share programming in the past (Teen Titans, Jackie Chan, Xaolin Showdown).

Captain Glanton said:
Now where are kids going to learn about the importance of military superiority and the non-violence of war? Where will this generation's GI Joe rise from?

sigma6wallpaper.jpg

Suburban Cowboy said:
what would Freakazoid do

Not get canceled and not say candlejack because you know what happ

the final blow came when a major sponsor, cereal manufacturer Kellogg’s, announced it was withdrawing all its advertising due to recent government pressure regarding child-oriented breakfast foods.

"An apple a day might keep the doctor away, but not Kid's WB."

Looks like the apples won. :(

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids. Children should be outside enjoying their childhood.

Rorschach

It had turned to shit, anyway. I feel bad for kids today. Now where are the people who yelled "this isn't for you! The kids love it! These shows will be huge!"

Eat some crow, assholes.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dreamfixx said:
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids. Children should be outside enjoying their childhood.

This HAS to be a joke post.

It has to be.

AntoneM

Dreamfixx said:

Not only did I spend a lot, I mean ass-tons of time outside in my childhood but I was also able to fully enjoy saturday cartoons.

AAK

The 90's was the best time to be a kid. Duck Tales and Chip n' Dale were some of the most memorable experiences a child could ever have.

RumFore

Banned
SHIT! No more Batman? What the fuck. I'm near 30 but still love watching Batman and other comic shows on WB every Saturday.

Oh well I guess its a good thing so I can finally grow up.
fml8jk.gif

Dreamfixx

I don't know shit about shit
AAK said:
The 90's was the best time to be a kid. Duck Tales and Chip n' Dale were some of the most memorable experiences a child could ever have.
God I hope not. It's great that we have something that we can all reminisce on, but to say that it was "the most memorable experience a child could ever have"? Our generation watched way too much TV, no matter how fondly we remember it. It's kind of hypocritical to call kids these days media drones when, at their age, we were the biggest media drones in history.

Dreamfixx said:
Who cares. Think about all the time we wasted in front of the damn television as kids.

No worries, boss, that time's been infinitely dwarfed by the time I've wasted in front of the TV as an adult.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dreamfixx said:
God I hope not. It's great that we have something that we can all reminisce on, but to say that it was "the most memorable experience a child could ever have"? Our generation watched way too much TV, no matter how fondly we remember it. It's kind of hypocritical to call kids these days media drones when, at their age, we were the biggest media drones in history.

Dude.

.. Dude.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
:lol the president of CW needs to be fired.

seriously

she has no clue what she's doing

CW was a promising young network now I'll be surprised if it's still around in 5 years.

MyNetworkTV has the NFL
Total Access Show

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
FUCKING LAME!

I couldn't care less about how shitty the cartoons of today have been. The fact remains, that they were cartoons, and shit little kids could get up in the morning to watch. Everyone should be able to wake up on Saturday morning, get a giant bowl of sugary ass cereal, and watch fucking cartoons. It was already a damn shame that things have become so PC, but, that is terrible.

Novid

Banned
Alright, Alright, yall have questions - I HAVE the answers!

First: The future of Batman, LOSH and Spiderman:

In my understanding, won't 4Kids be able to show Spiderman, Batman and any other shows?

4Kids will show Batman, Losh and Spiderman NEXT season, if they do well in the ratings THIS season. That goes for even the cookie jar shows.

Second: CW President Needs to be Fired:

the president of CW needs to be fired.

seriously

she has no clue what she's doing

CW was a promising young network now I'll be surprised if it's still around in 5 years.

This move came at the behest of both Les Mooves of CBS, and the COO of Time Warner, Jeff Bewkes, and not the CW's President, nor the former president of Kids WB, Betsy McGowen. Another reason is that the Cartoon Network as of 2003, held the sales and advertisng control of Kids WB, but after HSM2, the Cartoon Network is going through major crises.

If you also didnt know, they (4Kids) also hold the former Fox Kids block, as of 2002, and One Piece first aired there.

Now as for the pussifing the culture. You go blame Disney and there Live action series that Miss Wannabe Hildabeast Annie Sweeny craps out.

Oh and this is not american...lord, who do you wanted CBS/TW to give the block to? Nevana, Cookie Jar (Both Canadian) Sony (Japanese with European Ownership)? 4Kids is from New York, hires in house VA, and produces American product (Chaotic)...and they are NEVER gonna give it to Sony (Blame the Hi-Def War) or to the Canadians.

But, 4kids has played Time Warner, for fools again. Time Warner are the real losers in this deal, not CBS NOR 4Kids.

ant1532

Banned
WHAT THE FUCK.

Wow. How can they do that? I feel like starting a channel for weekend mornings or something now.

Anyways, got a question
that has been bothering me for years. What was the name of the show before WB Kids came on in the morning (around 6-7 am, I think WB Kids started at 8 am) and it was about Dogs or something, I think it was made in Japan and called Tom or friends or something like that? Does any anyone remember the correct name?

Novid

Banned
ant1532 said:
WHAT THE FUCK.

Wow. How can they do that? I feel like starting a channel for weekend mornings or something now.

Anyways, got a question
that has been bothering me for years. What was the name of the show before WB Kids came on in the morning (around 6-7 am, I think WB Kids started at 8 am) and it was about Dogs or something, I think it was made in Japan and called Tom or friends or something like that? Does any anyone remember the correct name?

That was Tama and Friends, it was syndcated by 4Kids sometime between 2003 and 2005.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
This is pretty sad! ;_; Why is animation dying more and more every year in this country? And what happened to the money saving measures of imports/cg/flash/etc saving it??

I also wanna know, what was that fox show, of the teenage alien boy, who fought as a bug or some crazy shit

I MISS THE 90S

Novid

Banned
Lindsay said:
This is pretty sad! ;_; Why is animation dying more and more every year in this country? And what happened to the money saving measures of imports/cg/flash/etc saving it??

When it comes dealing with imports, Have you not seen what has happend to Genon?

CG: Has matured and leveled off some.

Flash: Needs 5 More years.

Novid

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
Saturday morning died in the early 90's when NBC cancelled its block.

But they only had two good shows from the TNBC block. That ended too because even they couldnt compeate with One Saturday Morning, Fox Kids and Kids WB.

Qubo is MUCH worse (Consering Veggietales) with editing than 4Kids ever will be.

Oldschoolgamer said:
FUCKING LAME!

I couldn't care less about how shitty the cartoons of today have been. The fact remains, that they were cartoons, and shit little kids could get up in the morning to watch. Everyone should be able to wake up on Saturday morning, get a giant bowl of sugary ass cereal, and watch fucking cartoons. It was already a damn shame that things have become so PC, but, that is terrible.

I'm drawing a sense of irony with your post and the bold part in the OP.

Banned
You guys are really going overboard. For one, Saturday morning died the moment Nick decided to have as much animation as possible. Ever since then Saturday morning has been dying a slow death.

Technically Saturday morning isn't dead if you have cable. Kids aren't missing shit.

And most importantly this means most animated projects will be direct to DVD or direct to the internet. I believe this will result in more animators( atleast in America) having more room to do riskier stuff. If this means the death of an format that has been obsolete since the late 90's then so be it.

Novid

Banned
You guys are really going overboard. For one, Saturday morning died the moment Nick decided to have as much animation as possible. Ever since then Saturday morning has been dying a slow death.

Technically Saturday morning isn't dead if you have cable. Kids aren't missing shit.

And most importantly this means most animated projects will be direct to DVD or direct to the internet. I believe this will result in more animators( atleast in America) having more room to do riskier stuff. If this means the death of an format that has been obsolete since the late 90's then so be it.

If this is the case for animation, then why as of right now- no animated series DVD or the net has the same fad status as High School Musical 2? As for right now, outside of Broken Saints, i havent seen anything coming close to "great" on the net as for now-and Youtube has only created stars of a live action hilt (LonelyGirl and Chris Crocker) instead of animated (even though Sony is trying to change this)

As for cable...Outside of Jetix and Nicktoons Network, the main three networks only have 5 good cartoons between them that they make or own, 3 of them at Nick, 2 at Disney, and 1 at CN- the rest are taken fron canada, or Japan.

M3wThr33

Banned
ParticleReality said:
sigma6wallpaper.jpg

Not get canceled and not say candlejack because you know what happ
Unless I'm crazy, they never finished airing the last half of season 2 of Sigma Six. That REALLY pissed me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom