• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Historia |OT|: Change the Past to Save the Future

sfried

RoboManus said:
What a great game, I'm 18 hours in and can't put it down. The use of the time travel is fantastic.
Not a big fan of the 1 on 1 battles however, I feel they don't make good use of the battle system
I digress. This is where the "Change Turn Order" comes into effect, and sacrificing/exchanging a turn of yours for your enemy's is actually is to your advantage, since you can, for example, combine
Air Assault, Power Wave, and then Push Assault
for maximum effect.

When a big battle/decision time comes up, there's usually a save point that appears.

Jeez I can't help myself from picking bad ends. Even if the option is incredibly stupid, I still want to see how horrible it gets.

Oxx

Photo025.jpg

Woo hoo. Less than a week for this one from VG+.

7Th

hypersheep said:
Jeez I can't help myself from picking bad ends. Even if the option is incredibly stupid, I still want to see how horrible it gets.

Isn't that necessary in order to get 100%, anyway?

hypersheep said:

same - a personal tendency which also explains why i'm also re-reading 'a series of unfortunate events' right now :) ...

kenji

damn, need help with a boss at chapter 4 of AH, it's
Thaumachine at Lazvil Hills, that robot with self-destruct bombs
:(
I'm at lvl 35 and I have Raynie and Marco , is there a proper strategy I can use to beat it? it's so damn strong! :(

Oxx

I'm tempted to start this ahead of DQ6. It might be a while until we see the next DQ sequel or remake.

This game seems to be sold out damn near everywhere. Can anyone recommend a Euro-friendly importer that might have the US version in stock and which isn't Play-Asia, Renchi or VG+? They all seem to be out.

I see http://www.acme-importvideogames.nl/ has it in stock, but I've never heard of them or shopped with them before, so I'm not quite sure if I want to try my luck with them just yet - just came across them on Google.

e: filled out a bit more. removed video game depot.

kenji said:
I'm at lvl 35 and I have Raynie and Marco , is there a proper strategy I can use to beat it? it's so damn strong! :(
Ah, that's the point when the bosses start to jump in difficulty. Here's the strategy I used, though it is a bit unusual and could probably be improved:
I went with Rosch and Gafka due to their high defense and HP stats; they could survive a few hits from the Thaumachine. First priority is to take out the bombs, since they can kill most characters in one hit. Luckily, once you defeat the first four bombs, the bombs that he summons are all in the same row, in a predictable pattern, so it's pretty easy to take them out in one turn using Rosch's AoE skills (His row skill primarily, and the cross skill when the bombs are in the middle row). As for Gafka and Stocke, their primary duty was to knock the Thaumachine into the bombs, since that causes a little extra damage, even more when it's caught up in Rosch's attack on the bombs. Stocke's secondary duty was healing. Gafka could probably be replaced with Marco (More healing/buffing skills) or Aht (Trapping), but there's still the defense/HP issue with them.

kenji

Zero-Crescent said:
Ah, that's the point when the bosses start to jump in difficulty. Here's the strategy I used, though it is a bit unusual and could probably be improved:
I went with Rosch and Gafka due to their high defense and HP stats; they could survive a few hits from the Thaumachine. First priority is to take out the bombs, since they can kill most characters in one hit. Luckily, once you defeat the first four bombs, the bombs that he summons are all in the same row, in a predictable pattern, so it's pretty easy to take them out in one turn using Rosch's AoE skills (His row skill primarily, and the cross skill when the bombs are in the middle row). As for Gafka and Stocke, their primary duty was to knock the Thaumachine into the bombs, since that causes a little extra damage, even more when it's caught up in Rosch's attack on the bombs. Stocke's secondary duty was healing. Gafka could probably be replaced with Marco (More healing/buffing skills) or Aht (Trapping), but there's still the defense/HP issue with them.
thanks for the tips, I'll try to use Rosch tomorrow :S

Chapter 4 AH and SH spoilers! Does anyone know
when Gafka teaches you Chi? I just teleported to the node where you need the beast mark to continue and the event appeared on the Chronicle, even though I never saw the scene.

cultureculture said:
This game seems to be sold out damn near everywhere. Can anyone recommend a Euro-friendly importer that might have the US version in stock and which isn't Play-Asia, Renchi or VG+? They all seem to be out.

I see http://www.acme-importvideogames.nl/ has it in stock, but I've never heard of them or shopped with them before, so I'm not quite sure if I want to try my luck with them just yet - just came across them on Google.

e: filled out a bit more. removed video game depot.

Weird to be quoting myself, but it looks like it's back in stock at VG+. Thank goodness for that.

stupei

I was debating with myself at great length between playing this or Tactics Ogre next, and I'm pretty glad I decided on this one.

Such a great game so far. I've really only had time to play it on the commute and the train's been too busy to sit off and on this week, so I'm still in the prologue, but I'm really loving it so much I wanted to pop into the OT.

I wasn't actually all that familiar with the combat systems before getting the game and I can tell already that it's going to be pretty unique and much more actively engaging than I'd anticipated.

Oxx

How does the game begin?

I'm not sure if I have a 2 hour block to devote to a slow introduction. Does it throw you into the action fairly quickly, or is it a Golden Sun-esque text-fest?

Dresden

Oxx said:
How does the game begin?

I'm not sure if I have a 2 hour block to devote to a slow introduction. Does it throw you into the action fairly quickly, or is it a Golden Sun-esque text-fest?
There's a good amount of text in the beginning, but there are save points all throughout. No need to play for two hours straight.

backlot

kenji said:
Mana bursts work really well here. I used Gafka's lightning to all attack to get rid of the first exploding guys then whenever more were summoned I just used Stocke to knock the Thaumachine into as many at once as possible and used Raynie's thunder spell to kill them. If you use Stocke and Raynie's turn breaks mana bursts to chain lots of attacks you can kill it off pretty quickly.

Luigi87

When I don't intentionally go for a doomed timeline, and then get greeted with the words
"Welcome back, Stocke." I just wanna yell "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! I know I messed up, stop lecturing me, and I'll go and fix it!"

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Oxx said:
How does the game begin?

Close your DS, come back later?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Once I finish up Vagrant Story, I am having trouble deciding whether to jump into this, DQVI, or Tactics Ogre...

...or that Shit Mountain game coming soon.

Amir0x

Banned
man this game is so rad. I don't dig the music too much but I do love that one track that always plays when you go to the White Chronicle. All mysterious and shit

only real issues is

1. Those damn footstep sounds that have been discussed over. But I'm good at blocking that sort of shit out
2. The weird sprite proportions sometimes. Like, Rosch is like a freak of nature compared to the main character.
3. Awkward 2D on 3D clash, always hated that.

Otherwise, this is one stellar game. One of the best jRPGs in years, only other jRPGs this good are Shin Megami Tensei titles and Demon Souls.

Despera

Banned
Amir0x said:
Otherwise, this is one stellar game. One of the best jRPGs in years, only other jRPGs this good are Shin Megami Tensei titles and Demon Souls.
I share your sentiments. In fact, I'll go ahead and quote myself from a couple of pages back:

Despera said:
I've never been this hooked on a JRPG since Persona 4 and Demon's Souls.
About 10 hours in now. My only problem with the game is the lack of a mini-map. But dungeons and most areas are designed in such a way that you don't actually need one.

sfried said:
Giant spiders confirmed for F.O.E.s in Etrian Odyssey 4.
The last spider is like a big "fuck you" boss. Let me just take up the entire grid and your only support is the one character whose biggest damage dealer requires an empty square >_<

MechaX

Just got to where shit really starts to hit the fan in Alternate History Chapter 3. I've pretty much left the Standard History in the dust so far.
Definitely expected Hugo and Heiss to be quite suspicious. Didn't quite expect Heiss to be bad-ass stealth master. I'll admit I made a "herp derp" moment in the fight against him. It was about 2 minutes in where I thought to myself "... wait, I forgot that I can stack turns in this RPG" and owned him that way. Although, I wasn't expecting Stocke to be sold out as a traitor in this history, however.
But eh, things seem to be a lot more interesting in the Alternate History so far.

Ok, bought this thing. Will begin playthrough whenever newegg gets it to me. (potentially Monday, when I get my wisdom teeth out! ... should be fun)

Despera

Banned
leroidys said:
How is the story/characters so far for you guys? On a scale from bad animu to Final Fantasy Tactics.
The story is great, and the time travel element is well executed. Really good MC and characters too.

If story and characters are important to you in a JRPG then RH should be right up your alley.

Went in with caution after seeing this being compared to Matsuno games, but I gotta say I'm loving the battle system. Not too far in yet, but I'm enjoying it more than I expected to.

Also love the music.

Edit: Ah, it's Shimomura. No wonder.

GhaleonQ

Amir0x said:
I don't dig the music too much but I do love that one track that always plays when you go to the White Chronicle. All mysterious and shit

Well, you still have a few more hours to convert. You can do it!

Despera

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Well, you still have a few more hours to convert. You can do it!
It's a lost cause, I'm afraid. If the first few hours weren't enough to convince him, it's too late.

cosmicblizzard said:
Edit: Ah, it's Shimomura. No wonder.
Whoa! Some tracks reminded me of her work so I had this slight suspicion.

Nice.

Vhalyar

leroidys said:
How is the story/characters so far for you guys? On a scale from bad animu to Final Fantasy Tactics.
The story is fun and keeps throwing new things at you, but the characters are somewhere in the middle of that scale if not closer to "animu". Do you mind having a nearly naked beast-loli on your team?

meanwhile, i'm at 37 hrs, sh:6/ah:5, 151/236 complete, & stocke, raynie & marco (the party i've stuck with whenever possible) are lvl 51. &, yes, this's definitely one of the most enjoyable rpgs i've played this gen - great mixture of old & new elements, solid story & cast, great localization/soundtrack, & close to perfect pacing (which, when you throw in the twin timelines, is quite an accomplishment). &, even tho you do kinda need to spend some time going everywhere you can, & chatting up everyone you can in order to unlock some content, i've yet to really find doing so a chore...

there haven't been many of the supposed mountain of ds rpgs that i'd consider 'outstanding': twewy, etrian odyssey & devil survivor would be about it. i expected radiant historia to be good (as in, strange journey 'good'), but it's not - it's outstanding...

Peff

Got this in the mail today from VG+. I probably won't be able to play until after Tactics Ogre but I played a bit of the prologue and I got good vibes from it, the battle system seems engaging (and fast!) and from the impressions here it looks like the game delivers. Music is typical Shimomura, which isn't a bad thing at all, but I thought the CD had more tracks than five.

Yaweee

This game was 29.99 on Amazon for a while, but I didn't get it because I was (and still am) in the midst of TO. But now that sale is over, and the game "ships in 1-2 months", meaning they're sold out and it will be for a while. Damn.

sfried

Yaweee said:
This game was 29.99 on Amazon for a while, but I didn't get it because I was (and still am) in the midst of TO. But now that sale is over, and the game "ships in 1-2 months", meaning they're sold out and it will be for a while. Damn.
I think many people who simply say "I'll get it later" will regret it in the long run. I mean, TO is great, but RH is something special. I haven't felt this way towards an RPG since FFVI. You just want to keep playing.

Top Bottom