• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Linius

do any of you actually just download the files and put them on your phone/mp3 player to use?

that way you can have every radiohead album in your hand...

or am i just kinda old and set in my ways and need to embrace streaming everything?

I bought it on iTunes not knowing Tidal also had it online already. Also buying the vinyl. So in the end I guess I end up paying for it in three ways but at least I get to enjoy it every where and in every way I want.

RDreamer

do any of you actually just download the files and put them on your phone/mp3 player to use?

or am i just kinda old and set in my ways and need to embrace streaming everything?

I do.

Well, I use iTunes Match for that. You have to do that with certain bands, especially ones like Radiohead where you might have From the Basement stuff to listen to, etc. Their bonus tracks for all the special edition releases that I own aren't on spotify either.

I still use spotify for a lot of things but for a lot of bands I can't as much. Radiohead, Tool, King Crimson, Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson, etc all have a lot of works I've collected or don't exist at all on streaming.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
After listening to the album more (8 full times), I'm pretty confident that it's going to be my second favorite Radiohead album for the foreseeable future. Present Tense, The Numbers, and Daydreaming are my favorites so far. The album feels cohesive, not "samey," but that's just my opinion.

I wish Glass Eyes was just a little longer though. I think I would like Ful Stop more if the first thirty seconds were cut, too. Both are still fantastic songs as they are.

Ric Flair

Banned
If anything Decks Dark sounds like something that could had come off of Gorillaz' Demon Days.
Glad I'm not the only one getting Damon Albarn vibes from the album! This feels like a subdued yet all-the-same raw Thom York version of Gorillaz

Fine, I'll rank them:

The Numbers
Glass Eyes
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Burn the Witch
True Love Waits
Desert Island Disk
Identikit
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
Present Tense

dogstar

Banned
Fine, I'll rank them:

The Numbers

Glass Eyes
Daydreaming
Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Burn the Witch
True Love Waits
Desert Island Disk
Identikit
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
Present Tense

The Numbers is my currenent favorite too. It has an amazing vibe, that seems to come from another era... it remainds me of Traffic at their peak. Very un-Radiohead though, but all the better for it.

Decks Dark is my second, but this LP as a whole is a work of art.

10/10....

Skeletron

At the moment I'm liking the shorter, more direct tracks with Thom's vocals up front. And I could do without TLW. It sounds like it's trying to be a piano track off of Drukqs with the way they mic'd the piano close enough to hear the hammers, but with too much reverb.

Daydreaming
Glass Eyes
Desert Island Disk
Decks Dark
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor
Ful Stop
Identikit
Burn the Witch
Present Tense
True Love Waits

Just out of interest, would anybody here who has listened to every Radiohead album rank King of Limbs as their best? If so, at what point did you first get into Radiohead?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm on my third listen. I'm not disappointed, but I don't understand the lavish praise.

I agree it's a much better collection of songs than King of Limbs and I can't remember the last album that had such accomplished production, but the playfulness of the arrangements compromises the punch and raw power some of these compositions must have once had (if True Love Waits is any indication). Other than Ful Stop (and even here only for parts of the track) the songs are almost anemic.

I think I like Daydreaming the most but it also sounds a bit too much like later Steve Reich filtered through Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood (especially the doubling of the backwards singing).

I can see myself getting bored of this album pretty soon.

listen with headphones.

also anemic... I guess numbers, ful stop and identikit would be the ones to change your mind if any. Decks Dark is incredible as well.

Griss

I'm on my third listen. I'm not disappointed, but I don't understand the lavish praise.

I agree it's a much better collection of songs than King of Limbs and I can't remember the last album that had such accomplished production, but the playfulness of the arrangements compromises the punch and raw power some of these compositions must have once had (if True Love Waits is any indication). Other than Ful Stop (and even here only for parts of the track) the songs are almost anemic.

I think I like Daydreaming the most but it also sounds a bit too much like later Steve Reich filtered through Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood (especially the doubling of the backwards singing).

I can see myself getting bored of this album pretty soon.

I had the same thoughts as the bolded passages multiple times while listening, though I do love the albums. Often I found myself thinking 'If they hadn't messed around with the core parts of this song (especially when it hit the second half) it'd have been better off' (a great example is the vocal echo on Present Tense, and the way that the choir's melody is unpredictable and doesn't quite fit when it comes in). I feel like there are multiple songs where I go 'Wow! This is incredible. Wait... Oh. Well they nearly nailed it.' Unlike In Rainbows where I feel like every song is flawless and appears to have been birthed, fully-formed, from the ether, or a Kid A where the songs are unusual enough from the start to not have that issue.

And yes, the album feel anaemically mid-tempo. If it wasn't for Ful Stop and Identikit breaking up the flow, you'd almost call it dull, despite how utterly beautiful it is. I feel like it could have done without one of the piano ballads, I really do, though they're all pretty decent on their own.

Also, Burn the Witch would have been a great change of pace somewhere in the middle of the album and it's wasted at the start. Daydreaming, on the other hand, is what this album is all about - it establishes the whole tone of the piece. It could have been first. I'm really not a fan of the tracklisting here at all, and I feel like this is the first Radiohead album in some time (ever?) where the middle section is by far the strongest.

Just out of interest, would anybody here who has listened to every Radiohead album rank King of Limbs as their best? If so, at what point did you first get into Radiohead?

It's not my favourite but it's up there, and I got into Radiohead with The Bends and then Okay Computer in about 1998.

As I've aged, I've moved towards electronica music. I actually find The Bends tough to listen to these days, whereas Amok is one of my favourite things Thom Yorke has ever done.

If I'm being perfectly honest, I might have preferred more of TKOL than what we got here, but I'm happy to get something newish anyway.

Servbot24

Banned

Man... This post is tripping me out. I forget that there are people who don't do this.

I liked Burn the Witch a lot on its own, but I was hesitant with it being on the album. I find it works really well when the album is on shuffle and another song leads into it. Daydreaming into Burn the Witch in particular flows nicely and I like it more than the other way around.

ColdPizza

Banned
I think the album will take some time to digest for me, as with all Radiohead albums. It's not until I usually hear the song's live that they really click for me. The Basement sessions for In Rainbows and TKOL did wonders for me.

hydruxo

After 5 listens or so my rankings would be:

Ful Stop
Decks Dark
Glass Eyes
Daydreaming
Identikit
Tinker Tailor
The Numbers
Burn the Witch
True Love Waits
Present Tense
Desert Island Disk

Ful Stop and Decks Dark are just incredible tracks IMO. I was in complete awe yesterday listening to those.

dmshaposv

How the fuck is this album 'samey'

Like the whole album has So much range, and a contrast of textures with strings, electonic, acoustic - its like a good salad - u can taste every ingredient.

Like how can u even call the rhythmic guitar build up of ful stop, the piano driven ambience of daydreaming and the electro-string transition of tinker toy the same? They are all very different

Sullichin

How the fuck is this album 'samey'

Like the whole album has So much range, and a contrast of textures with strings, electonic, acoustic - its like a good salad - u can taste every ingredient.

Like how can u even call the rhythmic guitar build up of ful stop, the piano driven ambience of daydreaming and the electro-string transition of tinker toy the same? They are all very different

If anything it's a testament how they are able to keep a consistent, surreal atmosphere through the album while using so many different sounds.

Alright, I'll play: Extremely preliminar.

1- Ful Stop
2- The Numbers
3- Decks Dark
4- Identikit
5- Present Tense
6- Burn The Witch
7- True Love Waits
8- Daydreaming
9- Glass Eyes
10- Desert Island Disk
11- Tinkey Taylor Soldier

I think I like every song but I still need more listenings, I don't even remember how some songs sounds until I hear them again.

dmshaposv

Tinker is surprisinlgy a grower.

It starts of as a kid a/amnesiac era electronic song then tranistions into this beautiful opulent string section.

What about Ful Stop tho

Such a monster of a song. It's gonna be like standing in the middle of a hurricane live.

TBH I hear this album and wonder if it will be any fun to see them in a place like MSG. This just isn't arena rock. I've seen them at MSG theater and Roseland and those have been transcendent experiences. Randall's Island less so, and that was Kid A era when they still had those massive songs. Last three albums are so much more intimate while their venues have gotten so much bigger.

Would honestly just rather watch a From The Basement of this album.

Pavaloo

I liked Burn the Witch a lot on its own, but I was hesitant with it being on the album. I find it works really well when the album is on shuffle and another song leads into it. Daydreaming into Burn the Witch in particular flows nicely and I like it more than the other way around.

yeah, i've been listening to them in that order before the album came out and it flows really nicely - feels weird the way BTW transitions to Daydreaming now, but I dunno if BTW would transition better into Deck's Dark

Sullichin

This shit has me contemplating spending $200 on scalped MSG tickets.
I've seen them plenty of times before... but these songs live must be so good. I'm guessing there must be an orchestra backed section on the tour. I'm imagining a 6 song block with songs from this album, and stuff like Bloom, National Anthem, Climbing Up The Walls and Glass House with an orchestra...

LCO must be part of it...

Jonny kinda toured his solo movie stuff with them as well.

Not a full orchestra but a handful of string players.
This is what I'n holding out for. At least a string section, or why else such a short tour?

I still think they'll have a world tour next year but no string section.

LCO must be part of it...

Jonny kinda toured his solo movie stuff with them as well.

Not a full orchestra but a handful of string players.

When they played Roseland before Kid A came out they opened with National Anthem with that cute little four piece horn section they toured with at the time. First time I'd ever heard the song. So def.

sasliquid

Despite like 5+ listens daydreaming isn't clicking with me

I still think the "top 3 radiohead album" posts were too quick, AMSP has a great second half but I think the first half is pretty inconsistent.

My top tacks are Identikit, The Numbers (wish it was called Silent Spring tho) and True Love Waits

Probly followed by Burn the Witch, Ful Stop and Present Tense

Top Bottom