• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Blader

Identikit is so fucking good. The verses are perfect, an improvement on the already great live versions (but is it still Ed's voice? Sounds like Thom and the lyrics are different)
"Sweet faced ones with nothing left inside"
That delivery!

Not sure how I feel about the end of the song vs the old live version, but the broken hearts part is definitely better and unexpected.

Naturally, Ed's vocal track did not survive to the final recording. :lol

I'd say poor guy, but he doesn't seem that confident in his studio singing ability so maybe it's always his decision to cut his vocals.

megalowho

Daydreaming keeps growing on me, it's a haunting composition that gets in your head, but putting a 6+ minute ballad at #2 in the tracklist is a pretty intense decision. Kind of kills the momentum established in the opener even as it helps set the tone of the album.

I like Radiohead but I often find it too depressing to handle. I can't listen to True Love Waits. For some reason I can still listen to Portishead though.

Sullichin

The crack in his voice during "your tiny hands"...
I can't get over his performance and the production on these vocals in this song.

Whatever is happening on the lower end in the second half of the song is incredible.

I can't get over his performance and the production on these vocals in this song.

Whatever is happening on the lower end in the second half of the song is incredible.
Heard his voice crack this morning. Took two listens for me to get over it sounding much different than the live version, but this song hits so much harder on the album.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

It's phenomenal. I like it a lot more than the acoustic guitar version.

Listened to the acoustic and album version of TLW a lot this morning. The acoustic version seems like there's still hope for the future while the album is very "nope it's over." Very striking difference.

dmshaposv

Its really a testament to radiohead to pull off a dense song like the numbers, and then do a simple song like true love waits and do both of them justice.

The amount of restraint needed, and capturing the grandeur or emotional core in either case is so important and such a difficult balancing act.

This album astoundingly has surpassed my absurdly stupid high expectations I had for LP9. It's just so beautiful and layered and I can't stop listening to it. Not trying to be that guy, but i'd really recommend some headphones for this one.

As i'm sure other lonnnnngg time Radiohead fans were in the same boat as me, the inclusion of True Love Waits, Burn The Witch and Present Tense frankly scared the shit out of me. Songs that have been marinating in my mind for literally decades finally getting a proper studio release. Like, how could it possibly live up to my expectations ? And in my opinion, they fucking nailed it.

I also love reading this thread and seeing like every song represented as other peoples personal favorites. There's basically no track I think I ever see myself skipping.

Early top 3 (this will change often)
-True Love Waits
-Daydreaming
-Ful Stop

Definitely see this ranking somewhere in my top 3 Radiohead albums along with In Rainbows and Kid A.

Tenebrous

I don't know for sure, but on a third listen, I'd put it just shy of Vulnicura as a breakup album. There's a few songs I don't find very musically interesting, but there's a few which are among the best.

Will try some different headphones and try again tonight.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
There's a part at the 3:14 mark on daydreaming that gives me major Fez vibes lol. I played that game so much and I absolutely loved the soundtrack.

Goldmund

I'm on my third listen. I'm not disappointed, but I don't understand the lavish praise.

I agree it's a much better collection of songs than King of Limbs and I can't remember the last album that had such accomplished production, but the playfulness of the arrangements compromises the punch and raw power some of these compositions must have once had (if True Love Waits is any indication). Other than Ful Stop (and even here only for parts of the track) the songs are almost anemic.

I think I like Daydreaming the most but it also sounds a bit too much like later Steve Reich filtered through Thom Yorke/Jonny Greenwood (especially the doubling of the backwards singing).

I can see myself getting bored of this album pretty soon.

I found Ful Stop to be some kind of mix between National Anthem and Arpeggi. I'm pretty sure is an instant classic, blows my mind every time.

Anyone else not really liking the album? Lots of the songs feel kind of same-y to me and/or drag on way too long.

I wrote the same after my initial listen yesterday. There is a bit of a hive-mind about Radiohead albums in general.

The middle of the album felt like one same-y sounding song to me.

About to throw it on again now, so we'll see if anything reveals itself, but to me, there's nothing as affecting as the moment on "Separator" when the guitar finally comes in. Agreed about that song- nothing on here touches it IMO.

do any of you actually just download the files and put them on your phone/mp3 player to use?

that way you can have every radiohead album in your hand...

or am i just kinda old and set in my ways and need to embrace streaming everything?

Blader

^I bought the album off of WASTE, imported to itunes, downloaded to my phone.

Here's where I'm at after four listens:

Decks Dark
Ful Stop
Daydreaming
The Numbers
Present Tense
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
Burn The Witch
True Love Waits
Identikit
Glass Eyes
Desert Island Disk

But I really like them all, so this ranking is completely pointless!

TLW is a much sadder song than I ever imagined it...I've listened to the acoustic version for so many years that the new arrangement has taken a couple listens to get into, but it's really hitting me now.

Tenebrous

do any of you actually just download the files and put them on your phone/mp3 player to use?

that way you can have every radiohead album in your hand...

or am i just kinda old and set in my ways and need to embrace streaming everything?

I did for this. Usually, I'd grab a CD, burn it to FLAC/ALAC, put on my media player, and ta-da.

Streaming? Fuck that.

I've come to think so, as well, but OK Computer and Kid A informed my tastes more drastically, probably because of their time of release.

OK Computer is a close second. But The Bends is just a complete masterpiece from beginning to end.

In Rainbows is great. I liked the direction they went with it. Still lacks the emotion and passion of The Bends. That's not a harsh criticism, though. Few albums are as good by comparison.

Listened to the acoustic and album version of TLW a lot this morning. The acoustic version seems like there's still hope for the future while the album is very "nope it's over." Very striking difference.

That's how I viewed it too. Context for each version is important. I found the acoustic version to be more of a 'okay, I've found my love, but please don't give up - yours is out there'. The AMSP version is more of a kind of hopeless and desolute thing. Like I said, context is important.

Anyways, after a few listens I feel like I am in a place where I know how I feel of each song from meh to masterful.

Incredible:

True Love Waits
Daydreaming

Great:

Ful Stop
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor
Glass Eyes
Identikit

Good:

Burn the Witch

Alright:

Desert Island Disk
Present Tense

Meh:

Decks Dark

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
I feel like I could listen to the album a dozen times and get pull something unique from each separate listening session. Those reviews that hit the net 4 hours after release, what a joke. It doesnt work like that with any album, let alone an album as dense and multi-layered as this. Its borderline disrespectful to the artists for the New York Times and Guardian to pull that clickbait shit.

The first few pages of this thread look like posters were having a competition to see who could say the most hyperbolic superlative after 1 listen.

Top Bottom