• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

Davey Cakes

Decks Dark is insanely good. Wow. I can't believe this band is still killing it after so many years.
Killing it by making some of the most sonically-interesting-yet-accessible music I've ever heard.

Experts at their craft, here. The album is an experience. And I thought Bowie's final album was good; this trounces even that.

Blader

Decks Dark really sounds like an OK Computer track.

Hm. Having a hard time pulling anything redeeming from Tinker Tailor... Dull progression, dull melody, then... strings. Not seeing any payoff.

I like the song but keep forgetting what it sounds like too. The strings outro is fantastic though imo.

SamVimes

Killing it by making some of the most sonically-interesting-yet-accessible music I've ever heard.

Experts at their craft, here. The album is an experience. And I thought Bowie's final album was good; this trounces even that.

I was sure nothing was gonna beat Blackstar this year, but this has probably done it.

I basically spent the whole day listening to the album nonstop.
Setting up a Tidal trial account just for that was totally worth it.
Google pls

Are the physical copies going to be time exclusive to WASTE?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After listening to this album all night and all day, all I can say - with the absolute certainty of a Sith Lord - is...

...Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Ful Stop and True Love Waits are among some of the best songs Radiohead have recorded...

...and...

...Present Tense is among their worst. It is not my cup of tea at all. It sounds like some sub-Sting, airport lounge band, middle-of-the-road piffle.I think I'd rather listen to Pop is Dead. Its so offensively inoffesnsive that I may have to make a play list without it.

I'm on the fence with the rest and need a bit more time with them.

ogbg

After listening to this album all night and all day, all I can say - with the absolute certainty of a Sith Lord - is...

...Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, Decks Dark, Ful Stop and True Love Waits are among some of the best songs Radiohead have recorded...

...and...

...Present Tense is among their worst. It is not my cup of tea at all. It sounds like some sub-Sting, airport lounge band, middle-of-the-road piffle. Its so offensively inoffesnsive that I may have to make a play list without it.

I'm on the fence with the rest and need a bit more time with them.

Present Tense is probably my favourite, lol

Servbot24

Banned
First tier:

Daydreaming, Glass Eyes, The Numbers, Tinker Tailer, True Love Waits

Second tier:

Burn the Witch, Ful Stop, Desert Island Disk, Identikit

Third tier:

Decks Dark, Present Tense

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Present Tense is probably my favourite, lol

Nah, fair play, sir. Each to their own and all that. It doesn't sound like Radiohead to me (bar the vocals).

I concur. It's the only song I don't like.

Honestly, if Thom wasn't singing on it, I'd swear it was from Fields of Gold or something. I'm surprised they'd put it on an album.

I'd replace Present Tense with Spectre.

Yeah, good shout.

Servbot24

Banned
I mean, I'm glad you like it, but, I really don't get how this album changed your mind when OK Computer and In Rainbows didn't

This doesn't even sound remotely like OKC to me... maybe a touch of IR, but it's still very different. AMSP is sweeping and grand, while IR is compact and poppy.

I am cancelling my Spotify sub and switching to Apple music, fuck this shit can't hold it anymore need my new Radiohead album also in rainbows while we are at it.

Altazor

...Present Tense is among their worst. It is not my cup of tea at all. It sounds like some sub-Sting, airport lounge band, middle-of-the-road piffle.I think I'd rather listen to Pop is Dead. Its so offensively inoffesnsive that I may have to make a play list without it.

You don't diss Sting, buddy.

NOT ON MY WATCH.

Deeku

I had really high hopes for Present Tense cos I loved it ever since Thom started playing it at his solo gigs. I just think they didn't really do it justice. It's unfortunate that they didn't stick with the arrangement they had going in various soundchecks. But like many of the tracks that I've heard live before, it's a grower so I slowly warming up to it.

hughesta

Banned
I can't understand the hate for Present Tense. It starts off extremely groovy, but by the it's the most beautiful thing on the record. The choir coming in moves me to tears.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
After my first listen i'm left feeling like it's a solid album but potentially a little too safe?

Sort of. In terms of where they've been heading over the last two decades, it's a total about face. I'm really surprised that they've almost completely ditched the complex layered rhythms and replaced them with a far more sonorous, ambient sounds. Given recent events, I guess it's their 'break up' album (along with Yorke's TMB).

Blader

I can't understand the hate for Present Tense. It starts off extremely groovy, but by the it's the most beautiful thing on the record. The choir coming in moves me to tears.

For years, people only ever heard the song as this stripped down acoustic number. The bossa nova feel of the final version is a pretty different sound. It takes some getting used to.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member

It's like a really cheesy European continental lounge song and doesn't sound like Radiohead to me, it's more like something Sting would chuck on an album.

This doesn't even sound remotely like OKC to me... maybe a touch of IR, but it's still very different. AMSP is sweeping and grand, while IR is compact and poppy.

Just a comment on the quality of Radiohead's discography.

This record is dope, but it's not like they hit some new heights you know? They've had masterpieces 15, 20 years apart.

Newline

Sort of. In terms of where they've been heading over the last two decades, it's a total about face. I'm really surprised that they've almost completely ditched the complex layered rhythms and replaced them with a far more sonorous, ambient sounds. Given recent events, I guess it's their 'break up' album (along with Yorke's TMB).
Yeah I think you're right. There's nothing that comes close to Feral in terms of pushing the boat out rhythmically. I love TKoL for that. I absolutely love ambient music so i'm not complaining but i'd have liked a moment on the album that took me aback for a second. Perhaps the second half of Full Stop gets the closest to that for me.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Is this streaming anywhere yet? I've got a buddy trying to listen to it at work. I can't seem to locate a link where this is streaming for free. I bought the album yesterday.

Sullichin

Identikit is so fucking good. The verses are perfect, an improvement on the already great live versions (but is it still Ed's voice? Sounds like Thom and the lyrics are different)
"Sweet faced ones with nothing left inside"
That delivery!

Not sure how I feel about the end of the song vs the old live version, but the broken hearts part is definitely better and unexpected.

Top Bottom