• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

dmshaposv

As much as I hate saying this and im sure radiohead can still make really amazing music in the future -

If this is their last album id be ok with it. Its a great way to cap off a career. It feels conclusive.

Just out of interest, would anybody here who has listened to every Radiohead album rank King of Limbs as their best? If so, at what point did you first get into Radiohead?

I wouldn't rank it as their best. To be frankly honest, besides Pablo Honey, it's their worst album. That being said, King of Limbs isn't a bad album as such (though I'm reluctant to call it an album - I don't consider anything below ten songs an album, which sounds snobby admittedly but still), it's good. It's just that their albums from The Bends onwards through to now with AMSP that are so far and above superior to what King of Limbs did.

Like I got into Radiohead two years either side of Hail to the Thief and In Rainbows. I was fourteen and this was 2005 and I started listening to one or two songs of theirs before breaking into the album stuff and thus the less known stuff like In Limbo, Disappear and all that. I bought Kid A for myself just before Christmas that year and I knew in my heart of hearts it was mindblowingly special to me in a family and life where I'd surrounded myself my electronica and dance music (but less into the latter) that it was my favourite album ever.

But AMSP speaks to me just as much as any other album because I love all of the Radiohead albums (besides Pablo) in their own way. However, ASMP has a mix of Kid A, In Rainbows, OK Computer - my three most loved Radiohead albums in that order - as well as that heavy usage of an orchestra in this one which just makes so much sense thanks to Jonny's incredible work.

So yeah.

TL;DR - King of Limbs is their worst album, if you don't count Pablo Honey, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

Shufel

Is anyone still sad that Skirting on the Surface didn't make it besides me? I wanted that over any other song before hearing the album. Maybe one of the 2 bonus tracks.. That could be my favorite Radiohead song if there was a studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVScbkFJ3g

Edit: Oh, and Cut a Hole is missed as well. Love that one.
I can understand why they didn't include Cut a Hole, but the lack of Skirting on the Surface is definitely weird. It feels like it would have fit pretty well on the album.

Qwyjibo

There's one transition about half way though "The Numbers" that is almost as orgasmic as the brilliant one in "Reckoner" (my all-time fave Radiohead song).

Just out of interest, would anybody here who has listened to every Radiohead album rank King of Limbs as their best? If so, at what point did you first get into Radiohead?
Nope. King of Limbs is 2nd last for me (with Pablo Honey being last, obviously). It's not bad it's just kinda forgettable for me among all their other amazing releases. I became a fan of Radiohead when I first saw the video for "Just". It and the song blew me away and I've been on board ever since.

BTS of Daydreaming:

13187921_237394553305495_196057566_n.jpg

NotLiquid

The common-to-uncommon trait in some of Radiohead's absolute best albums shines here yet again. So much of it makes sense once you listen to it while feeling particularly vulnerable, emotionally.

Try going for a walk around your neighborhood with this album playing at a late evening when you're not feeling that well.

After numerous listens now...I absolutely love this album with the exception of the final track. After 20 years of on and off attempts, that's the studio version of True Love Waits they decide is worthy of release? So disappointing. This will be a 10 track album for me going forward.

Placktor

I don't know what it is, but I just don't like Decks Dark at all. I know i'm in the minority.. something just isn't clicking with this album for me. I really like Burn the Witch, Daydreaming, Glass Eyes, and True love waits.

NotLiquid

After numerous listens now...I absolutely love this album with the exception of the final track. After 20 years of on and off attempts, that's the studio version of True Love Waits they decide is worthy of release? So disappointing. This will be a 10 track album for me going forward.

I dunno. I was never a fan of the track to begin with. It felt like a Thom Yorke solo piece more than a Radiohead track. What we got is better than what I'd expected.

Thematically it rounds out the album well and purposefully, with a more ethereal atmosphere to it. Using a 20 year old track reimagined in this way to close out this specific album feels somewhat quaint.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The hate for Pablo Honey is annoying sometimes because there are some great songs on that album.

Creep
Stop Whispering
Thinking About You
Anyone Can Play Guitar
Ripcord
Lurgee
Blow Out

Obviously their sound was less experimental then, but that's a fucking badass collection of songs that for any other band would be noteworthy.

Yeah that mentioned at some point that they were recording it. Any word on if it's going to show up on the bonus disk? or have the bonus tracks already been announced?

I saw someone say that one of the tracks was going to be Spectre? I'd guess the other by order of likelihood is:

1.) Cut A Hole / Skirting
2.) previously unheard
3.) Lift
4.) other songs I can't think of right now

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'll take a crack at this song ranking business

1. identikit - cant stop hitting repeat so this must be it.
2. Decks Dark - the first after the known singles that i heard, knew the album was good immediately.
3. ful stop - one of the 3 new 'holy shit' songs. but less 'holy shit' than the top 2.
4. daydreaming - its amazing. its hard to rank because I heard it a LOT before the rest.
5. the numbers - just all around great
6. Tinker Tailer .... - feel like this should be higher up the list almost. I didn't get it at first but love it now. feels 'kid a' again to me. sort of like they got the kid a style completely figured out and this is a more mature version of that.
7. burn the witch - I 'radio-d' it a little. It's great. but I heard it too much, could move up again.
8. true love waits - it's great. but it doesn't feel new and exicting. I like what they did with it though
9. Glass eyes - I like it... but not loads. does feel a bit kid a in some parts I think.
10. Present tense - hasn't really clicked yet
11. desert island disk - i don't hate it. it's just not the best. it's still good.

Chinner

Banned
The hate for Pablo Honey is annoying sometimes because there are some great songs on that album.

Creep
Stop Whispering
Thinking About You
Anyone Can Play Guitar
Ripcord
Lurgee
Blow Out

Obviously their sound was less experimental then, but that's a fucking badass collection of songs that for any other band would be noteworthy.
Never been a huge fan of it. I can't really listen to it, it's just dated britpop at this stage which hasn't stood the test of time.

Sullichin

Is anyone still sad that Skirting on the Surface didn't make it besides me? I wanted that over any other song before hearing the album. Maybe one of the 2 bonus tracks.. That could be my favorite Radiohead song if there was a studio version.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aVScbkFJ3g

Edit: Oh, and Cut a Hole is missed as well. Love that one.

Not really too bummed about Cut a Hole, but I like Skirting a lot. But I hope the two bonus songs are ones we haven't heard before.

There're some Gainsbourg / Jean Claude Vannier thing on this record. On the chords and some arrangements, especially on The numbers.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I think Decks Dark is the only song that hasn't fully clicked for me yet. I'm sure it'll happen at some point though.

Helmholtz

I think Decks Dark is the only song that hasn't fully clicked for me yet. I'm sure it'll happen at some point though.
Huh, that's the first track that really clicked with me. Just reminds me of classic Radiohead for whatever reason, I really dig the vocal melodies.

ogbg

Creep
Stop Whispering
Thinking About You
Anyone Can Play Guitar
Ripcord
Lurgee
Blow Out

What about You?

hydruxo

Huh, that's the first track that really clicked with me. Just reminds me of classic Radiohead for whatever reason, I really dig the vocal melodies.

Yeah it clicked with me right off the bat like within the first minute. The melodies are just great. Love that track so much.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
What about You?

Sure, You as well. Pretty much the entire album. Lol

The choirs and sonic landscapes throughout MSP really set it apart from Radiohead's other albums. Such a fresh and interesting sound with a "cosmic" appeal. Dunno how to really explain it.

SamVimes

(though I'm reluctant to call it an album - I don't consider anything below ten songs an album, which sounds snobby admittedly but still)

What? I take you don't listen to progressive rock. Even some really mainstream classic rock albums like led zeppelin I, II and IV have less than 10 songs.

I love Blur. So so much. But Blur is a (the best?) pop music band. Radiohead is to Brit pop as The Wire is to detective fiction.

Blur mainly made pop records, but 13 is seriously underrated (at least in the US) and I feel like it kind of gets glossed over as it came out of OKC. They were part of the old brit-pop scene and weren't taken as seriously.

Altazor

What? I take you don't listen to progressive rock

hahaha, yeah. Close to the Edge has only three songs on it, and it's fucking amazing.

Blur mainly made pop records, but 13 is seriously underrated (at least in the US) and I feel like it kind of gets glossed over as it came out of OKC. They were part of the old brit-pop scene and weren't taken as seriously.

I love that album so much - and by then, Blur had completely outgrown britpop. It's such a tonal shift, I can get why it's underrated in certain circles.

Actually 100% agree with this. 13 is a masterpiece. They definitely evolved in that era (Blur and 13) into something special. "Bustin + Dronin" is maybe the best ______gaze song of the era.

megalowho

I love Blur. So so much. But Blur is a (the best?) pop music band. Radiohead is to Brit pop as The Wire is to detective fiction.
I get what you're saying. I don't think they were that far apart while Radiohead was still in their pre-OKC era, the best material from their Britpop trilogy compares favorably IMO. Mostly I just wanted folks to talk about Blur.

denx

I can't believe people are actually calling Pablo Honey a better album than some of the classic britpop albums from the early to mid 90s. I mean what the hell.

BTS of Daydreaming:

13187921_237394553305495_196057566_n.jpg

I posted this back a few pages, so if anyone has missed it:

So I'm pretty certain now after a couple of listens that daydreaming is supposed to be played in the normal direction and then followed immediately in the reverse direction and in an infinite loop.

It's too much of a coincidence that it can be played backwards (with the track jump sound matching perfectly in forwards and reverse and the background vocals being backwards in the normal direction).

I'm sure he says something like "half of my life, half of my love" when he wakes up at the fire at the beginning of playing the song in reverse, which is actually also about halfway in the song if you play them back to back.

What do you think?

Normal
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TTAU7lLDZYU
Reverse
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WjhZYkKvyRg

Released

I can't believe people are actually calling Pablo Honey a better album than some of the classic britpop albums from the early to mid 90s. I mean what the hell.

They need to listen to Different Class.

... and probably a few others lol

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
So I'm pretty certain now after a couple of listens that daydreaming is supposed to be played in the normal direction and then followed immediately in the reverse direction and in an infinite loop.

I think you have now put more thought into it than Radiohead have.

Ehhh. It's correctly rated. If anything Britpop probably got a little overexposed in its day.

Probably listened through it entirely like 5 times now, not counting songs being repeated individually.

jesus this Album is great, they really did it again.

Though technically they did it again also with TKoL from the basement which is basically what I consider as that album now.... it's the only version of those songs I love aside from Lotus Flower. Plus it has the daily mail and staircase. I really hope AMSP gets a from the basement too, especially with it already being amazing.

Nothus

Yeah I'm with you on this one. One of the things I loved most about the live version (and Mike Masse's awesome cover) was the guitars. So to get rid of them completely and replace them with the odd-tempo piano just really grates with me. Such a disappointment.

Yeah I'm with you on this one. One of the things I loved most about the live version (and Mike Masse's awesome cover) was the guitars. So to get rid of them completely and replace them with the odd-tempo piano just really grates with me. Such a disappointment.

It sounds like the version by a Thom Yorke who's watched the love that inspired him to write it disappear. He couldn't record "that" version in 2016 if he tried.

It's perfect.

Tenebrous

(though I'm reluctant to call it an album - I don't consider anything below ten songs an album, which sounds snobby admittedly but still),

Ironically, two of the most successful albums of all time have been under 10 tracks (Dark Side of the Moon & Thriller both come in at a meager 9 songs). I guess they're just EPs.

Top Bottom