• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

dmshaposv

At least this album shows how fucking underwhelming TKOL was.

Like its too early to rate against the godly three (in rainbows, okc,kid a) but its so much more aurally interesting and diverse than TKOL.

It feels like a meaty album, unlike TKOL that felt almost EPish.

RaidenZR

Does anyone have any insight on what the Special Edition packaging or case might be like? I feel like that picture isn't enough and I don't know what "Case bound album, inspired by the albums for 78rpm shellac records in the library of La Fabrique, France" really means for the bundle. Is it probably that the Regular Vinyl edition is just included in that with some extra bound artwork thing?

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
At first glance I thought it was "A Man Shaped Poo".

Still waiting for Spotify.

I don't think I can wait for this to be available on Spotify... might just have to actually buy it. Totally worth it for this album <3

Xun

What a phenomenal record.

I'll talk in more depth at a later point, but I'll echo what others have said and say it's most certainly in the top 3.

Only weird thing is that its a Radiohead album that everybody loves immediately on the first listen, which is a little weird. They gave you exactly what you wanted.

But you can now add a fourth LP name to the canon of Great Radiohead Albums.

TKOL could have been great, I think, if it had a bit more time. The fact that they released a few other excellent songs after its release kinda says something to me. The album with slight tweaks to some of the weaker songs and the addition of those other tracks would have been awesome, honestly.

As far as I understand it a lot of songs on here are really old tracks that have been floating around for a while so we're hearing sometimes a decade of tweaks to these songs whereas I don't think TKOL was like that at all.
I definitely felt a lot of polish here whereas TKOL was rough around the edges. This one had some time to stew.

Odrion

Banned
It's alright. Like I'm not really blown away but I enjoy it's quiet and low tempo nature. It's a good album for a Sunday afternoon.

Fhtagn

up to Full Stop on my first listen and really digging it.

very krautrocky album. reminds me of Can in places, especially this track.

I've listened to live versions of Present Tense probably over 50 times, and hearing the studio version fully realized like this is making me so emotional. It's perfect. Honestly perfect. Btw, Jonny's the one who came up with it if anyone was interested. The chords/melody was on his Norwegian Wood soundtrack.

In you I'm lost.

dmshaposv

Only weird thing is that its a Radiohead album that everybody loves immediately on the first listen, which is a little weird. They gave you exactly what you wanted.

But you can now add a fourth LP name to the canon of Great Radiohead Albums.

I knew in rainbows was GOAT on first listen thru. Only a few songs needed growing into

Why can't I be listening to this right now :((((((((((((((

The impressions here are tantalizing for me. Hopefully by the time I can listen to it it will be on Spotify. Doesn't Spotify update at midnight? Maybe that's why it's not there yet.

I knew in rainbows was GOAT on first listen thru. Only a few songs needed growing into

You know, you're right. In Rainbows hasn't moved from my #1 spot since October 10th, 2007

I guess I'm just thinking about "WTF is this shit!?!?" intial reaction to OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/TKOL, that sometimes changes or sometimes its just TKOL dont bother

Xrenity

The impressions here are tantalizing for me. Hopefully by the time I can listen to it it will be on Spotify. Doesn't Spotify update at midnight? Maybe that's why it's not there yet.
Idk the singles were on there pretty quick

A-V-B

You know, you're right. In Rainbows hasn't moved from my #1 spot since October 10th, 2007

I guess I'm just thinking about "WTF is this shit!?!?" intial reaction to OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/TKOL, that sometimes changes or sometimes its just TKOL dont bother

I loved OKC right off the bat.

In Rainbows was one that didn't hit me immediately, but Jigsaw Falling Into Place woke me the fuck up and I loved the entire album from there on out.

cabot

TKOL could have been great, I think, if it had a bit more time. The fact that they released a few other excellent songs after its release kinda says something to me. The album with slight tweaks to some of the weaker songs and the addition of those other tracks would have been awesome, honestly.

As far as I understand it a lot of songs on here are really old tracks that have been floating around for a while so we're hearing sometimes a decade of tweaks to these songs whereas I don't think TKOL was like that at all.

I can't remember exactly how I got the impression (interviews around the TKOL era perhaps) but I believe they kind of weren't going anywhere during recording for TKOL until a certain point and they sort of hit a creative explosion and they finished the album in a relatively short period of time before release. It would explain why the live versions are sort of preferred over the studio, where they didn't really spend a lot of time meticulously crafting it, it sort of came in a wave.

I'm probably talking out of my arse though, but hey!

First listen on speakers over, initial impressions is this is a damn good album and will be ranking at least in the top half of their albums for me, more listens will determine exactly where it sits.

Daydreaming kills me everytime though.

onto headphones!

Had no idea what to expect from Tinker Tailor, but god damn. Here's the Amnesiac track. So fucking good. When the bass comes innnnnn. I love you Colin

Liamario

Banned

I don't think it's coming to Spotify. I think they were just using fans in their argument against Spotify's royalty policies.

dmshaposv

This really does feel like more jony steering the creative direction of the album, unlike every previous album that felt thom's.

Probably its why he got to do a proper guitar solo. 9 years since.

deli2000

OMG found this elsewhere:

DzOBYjX.jpg

Exquisite. I think i might have gotten a full row just based on my own thoughts.

Nerrel

So how many people did they get with their special edition trap? I just wanted to save money and get the standard vinyl, but that damned month long wait for the download was a dick move. I had the same unease about buying the In Rainbows discbox but it's among my favorite possessions, so I don't regret it.

I'm not at all sure about how to listen to the master tape to test what's on it. If I get some In Rainbows or Kid A tape I want to know, dammit.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
i keep waiting for 'that shitty weird track' that I find most radiohead cds have for me on first listen.

it's just not happening. they are on form for this record it's incredible. and I have tickets in 12 days YESS.

Odrion

Banned
also on TKOL: Thom Yorke during that time was going on about changing the standards of what an album could be because of how it was being consumed at the time.

clearly it meant that they didn't have to put as much effort into it since it comes off a waaay lesser than the sum of it's parts. it doesn't flow well, it's eight tracks long , and it just kinda... ends. A whole lot of people thought KING OF LIMBS PART 2 was around the corner because no way this could be considered as a whole radiohead album

dmshaposv

i keep waiting for 'that shitty weird track' that I find most radiohead cds have for me on first listen.

it's just not happening. they are on form for this record it's incredible. and I have tickets in 12 days YESS.

Nude was that track for me in in rainbows.

Took me a while to love it.

Only track that doesnt click with me so far here is desert island disk.

Please listen to 'True love waits'

You'll be in tears....

I cry evry tiem &#128557;

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe we got Identikit, Ful Stop, True Love Waits and The Present Tense.

Stoze

Finished my first listen, fantastic album. More mellow than I was expecting coming off of Burn the Witch. Desert Island Disk is the only song that didn't do much for me. The Numbers is...wow.

Not prepared to rate it against the discography but I think this could be their most accessible album outside of In Rainbows.

dmshaposv

Finished my first listen, fantastic album. More mellow then I was expecting coming off of Burn the Witch. Desert Island Disk is the only song that didn't do much for me. The Numbers is...wow.

Not prepared to rate it against the discography but I think this could be their most accessible album outside of In Rainbows.

Desert island disk is the weakest song on this album, imo.

True Love Waits. I'm speechless. Didn't even think we needed a studio version because the I Might Be Wrong version is perfect, but this is something else entirely. Makes me feel like I'm 14 again but much older at the same time.

God, I hope this isn't their last album. This being the closer really makes me think it is, but who knows. At first listen this is up there with In Rainbows as my favorite album. It might even be better once I grow into it. But I love every song from the very first listen which is so rare. I can't wait to spend more time with this album over the months and years to come.

MilkBeard

also on TKOL: Thom Yorke during that time was going on about changing the standards of what an album could be because of how it was being consumed at the time.

clearly it meant that they didn't have to put as much effort into it since it comes off a waaay lesser than the sum of it's parts. it doesn't flow well, it's eight tracks long , and it just kinda... ends. A whole lot of people thought KING OF LIMBS PART 2 was around the corner because no way this could be considered as a whole radiohead album

I get it, the lot of you don't like The King of Limbs. It is mentioned on every single page.

Man, True Love Waits was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. Hell, it was like the reason I tried to learn guitar in the first place. So crazy to see it evolve like this.

Gonna go play the chords then sob brb

Top Bottom