• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool |OT| A Moon Shaped Poo

RBH

Fuck it, I can't wait any longer for Spotify. Bought the album on iTunes.

Had a bunch of leftover iTunes gift card money, so might as well spend it on this!

Yeah the only song I dont really care for is Desert Island Disks. Apart from that the album is probably one of my favourite ones in recent years (of any artist).

I finished the album. It didn't wow me but it's really good. Going to listen to individual songs throughout the day to digest it. The second listen of The Numbers elevated it, somehow, to a top Radiohead track... It's just so...them.

Also it's so obvious how different the reception to this album is. The king of limbs left so many people in disbelief. I remember everyone thinking it was a "teaser" or "side A" analyzing things like Thom's distorted voice in Codex lol.

Altazor

Finished.

Man, that was good. Feels like In Rainbow's brother. Gives me that same "late night", sparse vibe - only a bit more melancholic, a bit more sorrowful.

Ful Stop, The Numbers, Present Tense and True Love Waits (this one hit me) are early highlights.

King_Moc

Banned
True Love Waits. I'm speechless. Didn't even think we needed a studio version because the I Might Be Wrong version is perfect, but this is something else entirely. Makes me feel like I'm 14 again but much older at the same time.

God, I hope this isn't their last album. This being the closer really makes me think it is, but who knows. At first listen this is up there with In Rainbows as my favorite album. It might even be better once I grow into it. But I love every song from the very first listen which is so rare. I can't wait to spend more time with this album over the months and years to come.

Why does TLW being last make you think that? They've put songs with goodbye sounding lyrics last before.

Kid A - Motion Picture Soundtrack

"I will see you in the next life"

In Rainbows - Videotape

"This is my way of saying goodbye
Because I can't do it face to face
So I'm talking to you before it's too late
No matter what happens now
I shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen."

Went out cycling listening to this. Really nice record, left me feeling sombre in places, Daydreaming especially. I was bombing down a hill listening to Ful Stop. I don't think broken hearts make it rain holds a candle to Thom's singing on Hail to the Thief. I could have gone for a bit more of the metallic strumming on Identikit before the synth came in. Daydreaming felt like it was treading familiar ground. Can see myself listening to this a bunch.

Released

Probably not coming to Spotify guys. Thom is pretty negative about streaming services.

Man, True Love Waits was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar. Hell, it was like the reason I tried to learn guitar in the first place. So crazy to see it evolve like this.

Gonna go play the chords then sob brb

That's got some tricky chords for a first time player haha. But great songs will get you to practice anything. This record makes me want to pick up piano.

SamVimes

Set up a macro, because I doubt it's coming.

Weird
F2F3Cgc.png

And yes the darkened out songs are working too.

Why does TLW being last make you think that? They've put songs with goodbye sounding lyrics last before.

Kid A - Motion Picture Soundtrack

"I will see you in the next life"

In Rainbows - Videotape

"This is my way of saying goodbye
Because I can't do it face to face
So I'm talking to you before it's too late
No matter what happens now
I shouldn't be afraid
Because I know today has been the most perfect day I've ever seen."
Because it's a 20 year old song that they know fans love and hold dear. It's why Thom teases it a bit before he plays Everything In Its Right Place.

It's one of the most important Radiohead songs imo and it being on the album is a very big deal.

Odrion

Banned
For an album filled with very low energy and slow songs Radiohead does an admirable job of sequencing the tracks so the album doesn't get too slow and boring, or doesn't take a left turn so sharp that it's perplexing (remember little by little?)

A nice balancing act.

Randdalf

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the tracks are in alphabetical order, I wonder if they were titled that way intentionally (well, duh, probably).

Molemitts

The album's is pretty good, but I doubt it will be one of my favourites as it is pretty slow. Present Tense is probably my favourite. I like Ful Stop, but I feel like it takes too long to really kick off. Tinker Tailer is really good too, but I'm not big on that version of True Love waits, to be honest.

Nerrel

Yeah, it's this albums Faust Arp.

Faust Arp is great and has beautiful strings. It's short, but otherwise it's no lesser than the rest of the album. In Rainbows really doesn't have a lull or track you can single out as weaker than the rest.

Desert island Disk ends up feeling like it is one of those tracks mainly because it doesn't do much. The other songs have this gorgeous orchestration going on and Desert Disk is... pretty much the mellow acoustic guitar song it was live with some whoosing noises. Maybe the album needed that as a break.

I want to buy the vinyl, but it looks like i'd have to wait for the download code (a printed voucher with the disc sent out in mid June) instead of just getting emailed a download link, which is very backward for the band that tried 'pay what you like' with In Rainbows.

Can anyone confirm if this is definitely the case? Anyone bought the vinyl or CD? I don't want to drop £10 for the MP3 and another £20 for the vinyl that comes with a free code later...

King_Moc

Banned
Because it's a 20 year old song that they know fans love and hold dear. It's why Thom teases it a bit before he plays Everything In Its Right Place.

It's one of the most important Radiohead songs imo and it being on the album is a very big deal.

Eh? I'm not really buying that. They already put it out once before on the live album, and they'd play it live once in a while if so.

Probably not coming to Spotify guys. Thom is pretty negative about streaming services.

That's got some tricky chords for a first time player haha. But great songs will get you to practice anything. This record makes me want to pick up piano.
I really didn't make it easy on myself when I was starting out. :p Those hammer-ons were hell and took me months actually do. The basic chords weren't too bad though, I think.

To the person that put it on spotify: of course it doesnt work that way. It will only work on your own devices. Which is perfect if you have, say, dl'ed the record on your computer and want to listen to it on the go on your phone.

Interesting what they did with TLW. Its like a more sinister version, like the live version sounds more like at the lovely start of a relationship and this version after it ended. Wow.

A-V-B

Wow.

As I was reaching the end of the album, and only a couple songs were left, I found myself thinking, "I don't want this to end."

And what were the last lyrics on the album?

"Don't leave."

Damn.

One of their best. What a switch from King of Limbs.

<3 you Radiohead

denx

Just done with my first listen of this album.

This is definitely a very slow, moody, low key album, but the band did an excellent job with the sequencing and transitions so that the album never drags. Those 52 minutes flew by, and I def feel like they could had gone a bit longer on some songs (the ending of True Love Waits was a bit sudden for me).

First impressions: I like every track on this album except perhaps Ful Stop and Identikit, but that's mostly because I'm so used to the live versions. I was waiting for Ful Stop to get more manic and raw, and in Identikit I was missing the fat hip hop/R&B beat and the massive keyboard breakdown at the middle (I mean the keyboards are there, but they feel tiny compared to the live version). Also I feel Identikit has one of Thom's weakest vocal performances to date unfortunately. Buuuut it also has that amazeballs guitar solo at the end. So yeah, I'm feeling very mixed about Identikit so far.

Having said that, the studio versions we got of Burn the Witch, The Numbers (Silent Spring), Present Tense and True Love Waits are absolutely glorious. Gonna give this album another listen after I'm done with the new James Blake.

I love Desert Island Disk and I loved Faust Arp.

Halfway through my second listen and the weakest song so far is TTSSRMPMBGT. Not sure about TLW either.

Blue Calx

Just got done with my first listen of A Moon Shaped Pool and it's amazing. So much better than The King of Limbs (Tho TKOL isn't a bad album by no means it's just this album is heads and shoulders above it imo) Favoriite songs so far:

Ful Stop
The Numbers
Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief
Present Tense
Glass Eyes

Top Bottom