• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

frequency

When it's not being too easy, it's being too hard. I suppose Monster Hunter does generally allow you to completely flee an area so that you can drink potions in peace, though.

You missed the next sentence in that quote
It's one of the easier games in the genre. It's just designed in such a way that everything feels cheap

Sorry if I wasn't being clear. I don't have any problem with easy (or hard) games. I just mean to say that I'm not frustrated with it because it's hard but because it's cheap.

Like one game people often praise for being difficult is Demon's Souls. I love that game. It never frustrates me because when I die I think "oh I could've done that differently" or "I made a mistake".
This game isn't like that. The situations where I died feel like there was literally nothing I could have done to prevent it. It's just the game, by chance, had attack patterns of the enemies in such intervals that you are infinitely staggered. Or the enemy slightly turns their body and you, in the middle of an attack, end up hitting the face instead of the shoulder which hits you for 2000 damage and then knocks you back against a wall that crits you for an additional 1500.

In these cases there's literally nothing I could do.

So my point is that even if the game is generally easier it is more frustrating because of the other points in my post.

But I can totally understand that people enjoy this game. And for the west there just aren't many of these to choose from. So it may be less frustrating as people have less to compare it to and less games to play in the genre instead of this one.

I do agree with Roubjon that the base game is fun. It's a bit simple but it's decently entertaining. It's (what I perceive to be) design flaws that become apparent in the later chapters when they start putting more enemies and increasing the damage in an attempt to be more difficult that ruin the experience for me.

My rant aside, I've played at least 50 hours and do intend to "finish" Ragnarok Odyssey. But it's definitely one of the lower tier games I've played. If someone wanted something of this genre and only had a PSV and does not want to play the better PSP games available on PSN, I may recommend this but with very strong caveats.

Mondriaan

Like one game people often praise for being difficult is Demon's Souls. I love that game. It never frustrates me because when I die, I think "oh I could've done that differently" or "I made a mistake".
This game isn't like that. The situations where I died feel like there was literally nothing I could have done to prevent it. It's just the game, by chance, had attack patterns of the enemies in such intervals that you are infinitely staggered. Or the enemy slightly turns their body and you, in the middle of an attack, end up hitting the face instead of the shoulder which hits you for 2000 damage and then knocks you back against a wall that crits you for an extra 1500.

In these cases, there's literally nothing I could do.
Doing combinations or certain time consuming attacks generally has the risk that the situation will change, and you may end up positioned badly and unable to react. Most of the time it will be because your window of opportunity wasn't as big as you anticipated.

As far as infinite staggering goes, if you get cornered or surrounded by a bunch of strong monsters, you will very likely die.

You can somewhat mitigate this risk by having SP fully charged (possibly via SP potions) and being good enough at DS mode to pull in more HP than you lose from DS drain and enemy attacks. You could also go with cards that increase resistance to stun and stagger, but all these things that you can do are mostly in the preparation phase. Once you're in the field, there is quite possibly nothing you can do.

Kazzy

We got to chapter 9 yesterday.
My opinion of this game is even lower now.

The new location is just 1 of 3 big open areas... where you get to fight 100 giants!

Agreed. And the part which you are referring to is simply lazy, and incredibly frustrating to play.

Alchemy

The situations where I died feel like there was literally nothing I could have done to prevent it. It's just the game, by chance, had attack patterns of the enemies in such intervals that you are infinitely staggered. Or the enemy slightly turns their body and you, in the middle of an attack, end up hitting the face instead of the shoulder which hits you for 2000 damage and then knocks you back against a wall that crits you for an additional 1500.

In these cases there's literally nothing I could do.

Yeah, I don't think much thought and balance went into combat mechanics with groups of enemies. I think what bothers me the most is when you have a couple larger enemies in a smaller environment so the camera gets pushed off your character and you can't tell what is happening or how to get out. This would bother me a lot more if the game wasn't as easy as it is (at least with a Sword Warrior).

It is a bit of a shame because I love the movement mechanics and attack speed more so than the slow pace of Monster Hunter.

Cookie18

I've played a bunch of it today. I'm very pleasantly surprised with how easy it was to find a room with random people. After I worked out how to properly search for one that is :p

This is exactly the kind of game that I needed to get me in to the 'Monster Hunter' genre. I have never been able to get in to Monster Hunter despite trying several times but I don't feel as though the learning curve in Ragnarok Odyssey is anywhere near as steep.

I'm excited to play some more before I got to bed tonight and I can see this being in my Vita for a long time. It makes me want a Monster Hunter game on Vita so much more though.

Thanks to this thread for persuading me to import it!

Mondriaan

I'm excited to play some more before I got to bed tonight and I can see this being in my Vita for a long time. It makes me want a Monster Hunter game on Vita so much more though.

Thanks to this thread for persuading me to import it!
There is still Soul Sacrifice, Gods Eater 2, and PSO2 to look forward to. Of course it would be nice to have all my coop hunting style games on the same system, but it probably just means I will play MH only occasionally at home instead of all the time like the rest of them.

ZeroAKA

Does anyone know what mission has the Domovi that drops a Scavenger Hunt card? I already have one from Near, but I'm trying to clear my Near slots.

This might be a long shot, but does anyone have a card of (final boss spoilers)
sitting (not floating) Utgarda Loki
they can put up on near? He's the last one I need for the platinum. Farmed all the rest myself but he just takes me too long to kill.

Cloudy

Banned
Played the demo today. It's boring as shit on single-player. I guess it could be a bit more fun online but man, is it repetitive..

Does anyone know what mission has the Domovi that drops a Scavenger Hunt card? I already have one from Near, but I'm trying to clear my Near slots.

You're better off getting that from a weapon than farming for the card. The card costs 20, but in a weapon I got Fast Healer and Scavenger Hunt together for just 10 cost.

Do you remember where you found that weapon? None of my weapons have Scavenger Hunt on them.

Nope, just playing the game I realized I had 3 or 4 with that skill. Only one with gold background though, which is the one I upgraded into a card. The peorth rune with the skill of getting better things from broken parts of bosses (don't remember the name of the skill) can also convert to scavenger hunt pretty easily by upgrading.

Sera O

Banned
Nope, just playing the game I realized I had 3 or 4 with that skill. Only one with gold background though, which is the one I upgraded into a card. The peorth rune with the skill of getting better things from broken parts of bosses (don't remember the name of the skill) can also convert to scavenger hunt pretty easily by upgrading.

I had no idea snatcher could upgrade to scavenger hunt! I'm going to have to try getting that skill on a lower cost card via refining. I'm in c8 and when I do find gold or silver weapons, the skills on them tend to be crappy.

I've never had a skill increase at the blacksmith, and I've done a LOT of refining. The only time a skill changed was when it became worse :/. Guess I need to be saving and retrying until I get an upgrade, since my luck kinda sucks.

I had no idea snatcher could upgrade to scavenger hunt! I'm going to have to try getting that skill on a lower cost card via refining. I'm in c8 and when I do find gold or silver weapons, the skills on them tend to be crappy.

I've never had a skill increase at the blacksmith, and I've done a LOT of refining. The only time a skill changed was when it became worse :/. Guess I need to be saving and retrying until I get an upgrade, since my luck kinda sucks.

Check for peorth runes. Those change the skills upgrading from level 3, 6 and 9 and have a much higher percent of success than other runes.

Sera O

Banned
Check for peorth runes. Those change the skills upgrading from level 3, 6 and 9 and have a much higher percent of success than other runes.

Thanks. I feel like I still have only scratched the surface with this game's systems, so those details are really helpful. :)

Man, the 5-5 boss fight was so weird.

It went normally, smacking it here and there, after one round of DS, suddenly JET PACK FLYING LIZARD HEAD!

I didn't even believe that was possible and it was one of the more fun boss fights yet.

Man, the 5-5 boss fight was so weird.

It went normally, smacking it here and there, after one round of DS, suddenly JET PACK FLYING LIZARD HEAD!

I didn't even believe that was possible and it was one of the more fun boss fights yet.

You can actually avoid having it split if you just aim for the legs, which helps things go quicker if (when) you need to farm for Rune Ingots. But I agree, it's fun to make the head go flying. :D

You can actually avoid having it split if you just aim for the legs, which helps things go quicker if (when) you need to farm for Rune Ingots. But I agree, it's fun to make the head go flying. :D

Oh that's what people meant with when it splits. I actually thought it was it becomes two instead of JET ROCKET LIZARD.

Ponn

Banned
I finally beat chapter 4 last night. Assassins are definitely the "uber" class in this game to beat whatever you need to beat. Not happy about that but at least grouping you can get away with playing other classes. I really like the cleric class so thats probably the class I will use in multiplayer.

Unfortunately i'm sure like other people now that P4G is out there will be some dropping off but I will keep an eye out for anyone partying up at night here after work. I think chapter 5 should be a good level to start grouping up.

Noi

I finally beat chapter 4 last night. Assassins are definitely the "uber" class in this game to beat whatever you need to beat. Not happy about that but at least grouping you can get away with playing other classes.

Do I need to repeat myself as to why that's not the case? :p

I've been meaning to ask for help to get through what's left of the game, but school + other games has kept me busy. This weekend for sure though!

Mondriaan

I finally beat chapter 4 last night. Assassins are definitely the "uber" class in this game to beat whatever you need to beat. Not happy about that but at least grouping you can get away with playing other classes. I really like the cleric class so thats probably the class I will use in multiplayer.
There are times when it would be handy to have some ranged attacks. Fenia and Menia's spinning modes come to mind. Those modes can be interrupted if they take enough damage or get staggered/stunned, but you're probably not going to be able to do it with an assassin. Assassins are good at running away, though. :p

Kazzy

Do I need to repeat myself as to why that's not the case? :p

I've been meaning to ask for help to get through what's left of the game, but school + other games has kept me busy. This weekend for sure though!

I'll help you! After all, you offered me the same courtesy back when I started.

I only need a couple of trophies to get the platinum, so I might make a push for it. I firstly need to get the 100 co-op trophy, but any games I joined last night were pretty unbearable because of the lag. I guess it mostly hinges on collecting all the cards, though. Does anyone know how hard that is?

frequency

Unfortunately i'm sure like other people now that P4G is out there will be some dropping off but I will keep an eye out for anyone partying up at night here after work. I think chapter 5 should be a good level to start grouping up.

Assassins stop being so useful later in the game. They are still strong, but they have significantly more issues dealing with groups than a Sword Warrior. The later missions like to throw large groups at you. You also have to be much more careful when fighting bosses that have regular enemy spawns or when fighting 2 bosses at the same time. They also have issues breaking tougher parts off bosses for materials.

Great damage and "overpowered" though if you're playing online. Solo is less viable than Sword Warrior.

Kazzy

Sword Warrior is pretty much the class, it's good in almost any situation. And after messing around with it for a while, the Cleric is definitely viable too.

It's now that I really regret playing up to the final chapter as a Hammersmith...

Roubjon

Sword Warrior is pretty much the class, it's good in almost any situation. And after messing around with it for a while, the Cleric is definitely viable too.

It's now that I really regret playing up to the final chapter as a Hammersmith...

I find being a Hammersmith is worth it for when you get the chance to do those drill combos. They're so satisfying. Not to mention they fill up the tension gauge incredibly fast.

Kazzy

I find being a Hammersmith is worth it for when you get the chance to do those drill combos. They're so satisfying. Not to mention they fill up the tension gauge incredibly fast.

When you get the spin combo, you do tend to absolutely wreck stuff, but the wind-up is really long, and the later bosses have small enough windows as it is.

depward

I love being a hammersmith... but after teaming up online and seeing sword warriors + assassins just dish out crazy numbers, it makes me sad. That being said, those drill combos can and do dish out some good damage numbers... and they are extremely satisfying.

This might be a long shot, but does anyone have a card of (final boss spoilers)
sitting (not floating) Utgarda Loki
they can put up on near? He's the last one I need for the platinum. Farmed all the rest myself but he just takes me too long to kill.

Platinum get!

yuiJv.jpg

I still do not have my own
sitting Loki
card. He's holding out on me, the bastard. But I do have all the other main story boss cards, including
floating Loki
, so if you need any of them to complete your collection, send a friend request to Starhowler and I'll hook you up. :D

Alchemy

I don't really feel any desire to continue after 6-10, game feels like it is wearing thin and not really going anywhere. Anyone else hit this wall? RO is decently entertaining, but very shallow.

Kazzy

Platinum get!

I still do not have my own
sitting Loki
card. He's holding out on me, the bastard. But I do have all the other main story boss cards, including
floating Loki
, so if you need any of them to complete your collection, send a friend request to Starhowler and I'll hook you up. :D

I may have to take you up on that offer!

Have you got any general tips on how to go about collecting all the cards?

I may have to take you up on that offer!

Have you got any general tips on how to go about collecting all the cards?

After I beat the game, I used the card list in this post to figure out everything I was missing (press Select in your card list a few times to sort by picture)... and then I just started farming them one by one. Since they were mostly bosses, I just went to the earliest quest in which each boss appeared and ran that quest until the card dropped; rinse and repeat. You have 5 total slots for near trades, so ultimately you can skip farming 5 enemies of your choice. How generous! :p

There seem to be some divided opinions on skills you can equip, either through weapons or cards, to increase a boss's card drop rate. I only had Scavenger Hunt so that's all I used (it didn't seem to help), but other people say you want either Luck Up (this appears on random weapon drops) or Luck Shift (this can be farmed from Alp Leshy monsters in 7-2, although I didn't attempt it). Personally, I was getting annoyed at the idea of farming a card drop in order to farm another card drop, so I just brute forced it. Generally I had the card I needed within 40-50 runs of a boss, sometimes much less. I know that sounds awful, but each run only takes a couple minutes once you get it down to a science... and there's always co-op, which can make things much quicker if there's a boss you're having trouble killing efficiently.

ajim

Received this game (Merc Addition) the other day, imported into Australia (online works to my surpise! but I haven't played around with it yet).

Seems fun enough, up to the first 'boss' (
ogre king
) and I must really suck at this game because I've attempted 3 times and can't beat him. Lol. Being a Monster Hunter Veteran I thought for sure I'd be able to at least take down the first boss easily enough.

*Shrug*

Haven't played around with classes (I'm the standard class whatever that is) or weapons yet (refined my first sword), nor have I played with the cards. Still trying to come to grips with the systems and battling style.

Any basic tips for a hopeless beginner - mainly around cards/weapon upgrades.

Roubjon

Received this game (Merc Addition) the other day, imported into Australia (online works to my surpise! but I haven't played around with it yet).

Seems fun enough, up to the first 'boss' (
ogre king
) and I must really suck at this game because I've attempted 3 times and can't beat him. Lol. Being a Monster Hunter Veteran I thought for sure I'd be able to at least take down the first boss easily enough.

*Shrug*

Haven't played around with classes (I'm the standard class whatever that is) or weapons yet (refined my first sword), nor have I played with the cards. Still trying to come to grips with the systems and battling style.

Any basic tips for a hopeless beginner - mainly around cards/weapon upgrades.

You upgrade your weapons through materials you get from barrels/crates and monsters. You also get new weapons from random monsters drops. Cards are basically skills you equip that are random drops from monsters as well. In order to equip more cards, you need to upgrade your armor, which is done in the same fashion as upgrading your weapons.

ajim

You upgrade your weapons through materials you get from barrels/crates and monsters. You also get new weapons from random monsters drops. Cards are basically skills you equip that are random drops from monsters as well. In order to equip more cards, you need to upgrade your armor, which is done in the same fashion as upgrading your weapons.

Thanks.

Are there different drop rates similar to Monster Hunter? Like if I play through a level multiple times and I bound to come across different items on each occasion etc? Or is it always the same? That goes for fighting monsters/bosses too.

Mondriaan

Thanks.

Are there different drop rates similar to Monster Hunter? Like if I play through a level multiple times and I bound to come across different items on each occasion etc? Or is it always the same? That goes for fighting monsters/bosses too.
Drop rates for rare stuff is very similar and you will often need to break specific parts to get upgrade materials. Quest times, though, tend to be shorter than MH.

Doing a quest dozens of times to get a particular rare drop should sound familiar to anyone who has played MH. There is a fair variety of stuff that can be dropped (since that includes weapons and cards- but you won't find great stuff re-doing earlier chapter quests).

OmegaZero

Hammersmiths are so satisfying to use.
Sure, it's hard to hit enemies with revved drill attacks but when you do, oh man.
Clerics are pretty fun to play as, but I'm not doing as much damage with them as I'd like.

Mondriaan

I ended up starting over because I had backed up a corrupted save file. I noticed issues with my save file and tried to restore the online back up save file, which apparently had even more issues.

Anyway, I think I'm back to rank 8, lol.

hswbaz

Neo Member
Reached the point where I can change classes the other night, thankfully some randoms helped me through the Chapter 1 boss as I was struggling as a Mage. Hoping to play a lot more multiplayer, feel free to add me: Baz8264

Edit: Also, what do I do with my stash full of stuff? I've been upgrading my main weapon(s) for now, but should I be selling it, saving it, using it all on something? Curious if there is "list of don't sell these items" somewhere. Thanks.

Reached the point where I can change classes the other night, thankfully some randoms helped me through the Chapter 1 boss as I was struggling as a Mage. Hoping to play a lot more multiplayer, feel free to add me: Baz8264

Edit: Also, what do I do with my stash full of stuff? I've been upgrading my main weapon(s) for now, but should I be selling it, saving it, using it all on something? Curious if there is "list of don't sell these items" somewhere. Thanks.

Generally keep your loot since they can be useful and sell the weapons with crappy skills or those you don't plan to use. You could sell the stuff you find everywhere if you are hurting for money but I found just redoing quests over and over gives more money then selling loot.

Marv_79

Neo Member
I finally crumbled and bought a US import copy from eBay, just couldn't wait any longer, only paid £31 for it so I'm not complaining. The only trouble is I have no friends that own this nor even know it exists so would be eternally grateful if a few of the Gaf brigade could add me, My PSN is Carver_79 (I will add the two above request when I get home tonight)

I only started playing this yesterday and so far thoroughly enjoying it, even if I am already stuck on the first boss!

hswbaz

Neo Member
I finally crumbled and bought a US import copy from eBay, just couldn't wait any longer, only paid £31 for it so I'm not complaining. The only trouble is I have no friends that own this nor even know it exists so would be eternally grateful if a few of the Gaf brigade could add me, My PSN is Carver_79 (I will add the two above request when I get home tonight)

I only started playing this yesterday and so far thoroughly enjoying it, even if I am already stuck on the first boss!

Will make sure I'm on later, I'll help you with the boss if you haven't finished him by then.

Top Bottom