• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

OmegaZero

One question, anything special about their guard? Doesn't look like I can guard combo well enough into it yet, probably without some better skills.

Guarding is really meant to be used in those times when you don't have time to evade an attack. Pressing (and holding) R+Triangle during a combo should interrupt it with a guard at the end of the current move. No way to guard cancel mid-move as far as I can tell.

There are skills that will improve the guard radius (at the cost of defense), improve defense when guarding (sometimes at the cost of guard radius), and lessen knockback when an attack hits your guard.

I personally wish Sword Warriors had a counter like the Cleric (or at least a "perfect-frame guard" ability that helped negate damage/knockback), but whatever.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if anyone needs help on missions under Chapter 9, I'm available tomorrow starting at 10:00 AM PST at the earliest.

Oh my GOD, 9-7 was annoying as hell. Beat with just over 5 minutes to spare. All that jumping. >.<

(I hope I'm not jinxing myself for the final battle or anything.)

Kazzy

Does anyone want to play some chapter 8 missions? On around 8-7 and I'm just a little burnt out on going solo, wouldn't mind some help to push through the final few.

room: GAF
password: vita

I'll idle about for about 10 minutes to see if anyone joins.

depward

Beat the main missions tonight. Was with a team and we rolled through 9-6+. There was an assassin who was just killing it too; took some screenshots of his build for future reference.

All in all, I really like the game. Has its share of frustrations, with aerial combat being a focus for some battles, card skills that offer zero explanation or help as to what it is exactly and reused boss designs. But dang if it's good fun.

Will be tackling extra missions now...

Kazzy

Thanks for those who helped me yesterday. But it made me realize that my persistence with the Hammersmith has sort of hurt me, it seems extremely gimped in the later levels. I think it's telling that I can count on one hand, the amount of times that I've seen another Hammersmith.

My damage output isn't even approaching anything that I regularly see Assassins and other classes performing, and that's supposed to be my forte! I'm just too slow, and I hit weak. This really does become a problem in boss battles, where the window to reel off combos is fairly small as it is.

All of which puts me in a weird position, because if I change class, that puts me back to square one. I wouldn't mind, but the process for upgrading is no pointlessly drawn out, and even those guides don't list every item (something I've encountered a couple of times). Maybe I'm just going to have to rely on others to drag me through the remainder of chapter 9. The final stretch of the game is pretty bad, and the recycling hits ridiculous degrees.
4 missions of fighting 100 giants, really!?

Noi

Thanks for those who helped me yesterday. But it made me realize that my persistence with the Hammersmith has sort of hurt me, it seems extremely gimped in the later levels. I think it's telling that I can count on one hand, the amount of times that I've seen another Hammersmith.

My damage output isn't even approaching anything that I regularly see Assassins and other classes performing, and that's supposed to be my forte! I'm just too slow, and I hit weak. This really does become a problem in boss battles, where you window to reel off combos is fairly small as it is.

All of which puts me in a weird position, because if I change class, that puts me back to square one. I wouldn't mind, but the process for upgrading is no pointlessly drawn out, and even those guides don't list every item (something I've encountered a couple of times). Maybe I'm just going to have to rely on others to drag me through the remainder of chapter 9. The final stretch of the game is pretty bad, and the recycling hits ridiculous degrees.
4 missions of fighting 100 giants, really!?

I wouldnt mind tagging along with a Hammersmith to beat the game. I'd like to actually be able to break boss parts and get their drops, lol.

Beat the main missions tonight. Was with a team and we rolled through 9-6+. There was an assassin who was just killing it too; took some screenshots of his build for future reference.

Do share!

demonkaze

Does anyone else get application error's when trying to go on online? When I first got this game I had no problems getting into games (and i'm in EU if that matters or not) and around chapter 5 and onwards I can't seem to get into any games at all. Any ideas what I can do?

depward

Do share!

Here are some screenshots I took. He was criting (Chapter 9 boss spoiler)
Surt
for sometimes over 3k per hit (naturally hitting him at the weak spot but still, as a hammersmith, I could only do ~600 per).

He was an absolute beast!

(Hold down left mouse button for bigger images)

kAtPy.jpg

Roubjon

When you do single player quests in the guild hall, are they harder than doing them in the other place? Is there any benefit from doing them in one place rather than the other?

kiyomi

When you do single player quests in the guild hall, are they harder than doing them in the other place? Is there any benefit from doing them in one place rather than the other?

Don't think so - the only benefit of the tavern I've seen is the mp, obviously. And it gets more challenging, based on the lowest player. talking of which I need gaffers to play with in chap. 4 tonight.

halp

When entering levels from the tavern, they might be a bit harder and have rarer drops. Not sure if I'm right or not, though.

Also, sorry for not playing yesterday. Had way more to do than I thought. ):

Ponn

Banned
In chapter 4 and
orc hero
is kicking my ass. Tried changing to swordsman no luck. Will try archer next.

ZeroAKA

Don't think so - the only benefit of the tavern I've seen is the mp, obviously. And it gets more challenging, based on the lowest player.
I think I remember reading in one of those early game tutorials that tavern quests are more difficult and that difficulty is fixed (same difficulty no matter how many players there are and how far each player is in the game).

kiyomi

I think I remember reading in one of those early game tutorials that tavern quests are more difficult and that difficulty is fixed (same difficulty no matter how many players there are and how far each player is in the game).

Hmm

"When playing a quest through multiplayer, its difficulty will automatically be set to match the level of the least experienced player."

The manual says it's exactly the same in functionality, but now you mention it, it kinda rings a bell.

Nobody wants to team up? Fine. I'll go it solo
:(

Kazzy

Hmm

"When playing a quest through multiplayer, its difficulty will automatically be set to match the level of the least experienced player."

The manual says it's exactly the same in functionality, but now you mention it, it kinda rings a bell.

Nobody wants to team up? Fine. I'll go it solo
:(

What chapter? I can lend a hand.

Ugh I'm so torn between working on beating this and finally beating NLKS. I think I'm going to go back to NLKS since I'm close to beating that :( I will come back to RO ~ Promise. I still intend to update the fonts in the OT, my monitor crapped out recently (really bad luck, sigh) so I can only post stuff from my Vita/phone atm.

Quests started from the tavern are roughly 20% more difficult then ones taken from the guild hall if my memory serves me correctly. If you are only soloing and aren't specifically looking for the extra difficulty of it being tuned for multiple people then pick them up out of the guild hall.

kiyomi

Yeah I'm still playing. I'll make a room called GAFFYTONS. The password will be donk.
Not sure why it disconnected us, connection seemed alright? Its managed to cope with worse. Then I tried to rejoin but it wouldn't let me D: , so I joined Mondriaan and a couple others

enjoyed it though

Roubjon

Not sure why it disconnected us, connection seemed alright? Its managed to cope with worse. Then I tried to rejoin but it wouldn't let me D: , so I joined Mondriaan and a couple others

enjoyed it though

Yeah, it was fun. And holy crap I like being a hammersmith but the damage output seriously is garabage compared to other classes.

If I can get in on the 200 vita bundle ill pick this game up. Well see whats up at best buy though . Not waiting in line or anything, just walking in around noon.

SmallWind

Epic weapons list

(Name of weapon) - (Extra quest it drops from)
Code:
Assassin
[spoiler]Traitor - Crushing Blow
Sun Sword - Vanir's Treasure
Various Jur - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Sword Warrior
[spoiler]Muramasa - Tyrannical Think Tank
Cresent Scythe - Falling Star and Chance Encounter
Pole Axe - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Hammersmith
[spoiler]Blood Axe - Orchis Stars
Light Epsilon - Two in Light of Dusk
Morning star - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Hunter
[spoiler]Khaz Dryer - Surging Waves
Minstrel Bow - Pattern in the Sand
Horn Bow - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Cleric
[spoiler]Golden Mace - Singin 'in the Arrow rain
Wrench - Glitter of Temptation
Sword Mace - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Mage
[spoiler]Bone Staff - Oddity Mine Eyes Beheld
Staff of Distraction - Twilight Phantom
Arc Wand - any 100 Chief Giant Quest[/spoiler]

Managed to beat the Chapter 4 boss after hacking at it for like 25 minutes. Man, feels good to actually be able to solo bosses as a swordsmen instead of dying as a hunter.

Roubjon

Managed to beat the Chapter 4 boss after hacking at it for like 25 minutes. Man, feels good to actually be able to solo bosses as a swordsmen instead of dying as a hunter.

I just started being a hunter today after begin a Hammersmith from the beginning of the game until chapter 6. It's a nice change of pace. Not to mention I look so much more badass than I did before.

Ponn

Banned
Finally beat Chapter 4 mid boss. I switched from Cleric, to Swordsman, to Hammersmith to Archer/Hunter and finally Assassin. Beat him with assassin. I really hope the Assassin is like the uber class that you should just play and have to switch to in order to beat bosses. I really, really hope thats not the case.

And i'm really disappointed in the archer. That should be the kiting class but the range is the same as the freaking hammersmith? Thats absurd.

Roubjon

Finally beat Chapter 4 mid boss. I switched from Cleric, to Swordsman, to Hammersmith to Archer/Hunter and finally Assassin. Beat him with assassin. I really hope the Assassin is like the uber class that you should just play and have to switch to in order to beat bosses. I really, really hope thats not the case.

And i'm really disappointed in the archer. That should be the kiting class but the range is the same as the freaking hammersmith? Thats absurd.

I have yet to try out the assassin but I'd honestly rather not. It seems like that's the class that everyone and their dog decides to be. Getting all in Monster's faces with a hammer and crushing skulls is awesomely satisfying. But I tried out the archer today and it didn't seem horrible. They can attack relatively quickly and definitely can stay much further away than hammermsmiths, in general.

Noi

The Assassin isn't quite the uber class you might think he is. His damage output is great and he can solo most of the early game, but late game you basically have to skim through danger to survive cause of his low reach and lack of stun. Hammersmiths may not do as much damage, but they actually stop enemies when their attacks connect. That and late game, breaking certain enemy parts with a solo Assassin is near impossible, you're more likely to outright kill a boss before the tougher parts break.

Cookie18

My copy of the game arrived today. Hopefully the online works as I've had to import it. Assuming it does then my ID is x-360cookie-x, feel free to add me. I'm looking forward to checking it out later today.

Kazzy

My copy of the game arrived today. Hopefully the online works as I've had to import it. Assuming it does then my ID is x-360cookie-x, feel free to add me. I'm looking forward to checking it out later today.

You should be fine to play!

And this thread is cool. Should you need it, chances are that you'll able to find someone who is willing to lend you a hand.

Uthred

I'm enjoying the game, great for pick up and play (nearly finished Chapter 8), but while I think its a good game I dont think its a great game - cant really put my finger on why but a lot of it feels like its "almost there". I'd love to see an expanded sequel.

frequency

We got to chapter 9 yesterday.
My opinion of this game is even lower now.

The new location is just 1 of 3 big open areas... where you get to fight 100 giants!

And for farming, everything is too random. You can farm for weapons! But you'll get a random weapon with random abilities. You can farm for cards! But this monster will randomly drop a random card in the list.

It really feels like the game was made just to frustrate you.

The earlier chapters had promise. The game felt sparse (equipment) compared to other games in the genre. The gameplay felt worse too but it was still a decently entertaining game. But the later chapters, it seems like the developers just did everything they possibly can to frustrate you.

It's one of the easier games in the genre. It's just designed in such a way that everything feels cheap and I feel I have much less control over how fights will go and what I will get. I don't get to see my progress towards crafting a weapon or a piece of armor. I just get to punch the wall again and again and again and hope that luck lets the thing I want pop out.

Changing cards is annoying because all the cards have the same icon (well yellow and red too, but it doesn't help) and trying to find the card with the ability you want in 10 pages of cards is annoyingly time consuming.

The class imbalance is very obvious. I can't play the job I really want to play without feeling like I'm wasting everyone's time.

What is fun about having 20 wolves lunge at you from just out of range of your attacks? And keeping you staggered almost infinitely while you mash the square button to try to get away and drink a potion.

What is fun about having 20 giants attacking at different intervals so you have maybe 2 seconds to get 1 attack in before running away again.

What is fun about attacking an enemy and having them stagger backwards a little bit (just out of range of your attack) so you'll have to run forward and continue mashing triangle instead of using the combo system of the game?

There is a decent game here but a few very bad design decisions ruin it for me. When compared to other games in the genre, this is incredibly poor. It is about on the same level as Lord of Arcana on PSP for gameplay. But at least that game has way better loot.
So... I think this is the worst "Monster Hunter clone" I've played.

I feel terrible for having 2 copies of this. I don't feel Gungho/Gravity/Game Arts deserve my money.

Sorry about being negative about the game in the OT. I just really had to vent.

Roubjon

*disappointed rant*

I'm still at Chapter 6 and I can easily see all of those things coming to fruition later in the game. I agree with basically everything you're saying, but I'm managing to ignore it because I still think the base game is fun enough. I mean, if I was to compare this game to Monster Hunter, I'd say it's pretty awful. But it's what is available in the genre at the time so it'll have to do. Hopefully Soul Sacrifice is better, as it certainly looks like it will be.

Mondriaan

It's one of the easier games in the genre.
What is fun about having 20 wolves lunge at you from just out of range of your attacks? And keeping you staggered almost infinitely while you mash the square button to try to get away and drink a potion.
When it's not being too easy, it's being too hard. I suppose Monster Hunter does generally allow you to completely flee an area so that you can drink potions in peace, though.

Alchemy

I've fairly easily cleared the first four chapters as a Sword Warrior. About the only time I've had difficulty with this game is when I've pushed myself to do harder Extra Quests. Getting my ass kicked by the Orc duo now.

I do run mostly defensive cards which is probably the difference. I tried going all offense thinking a glass cannon approach would be the fastest way to clear things, but I feel like there are a bunch of attacks that are simply unavoidable in certain circumstances (boss attacks having larger hit boxes than the effects or getting gang attacked). Defense allows me to just lay into enemies and not worry too much about getting hit as I can just potion off the damage.

Top Bottom