• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ragnarok Odyssey |OT| Hunt Monsters, Pop Porings

OmegaZero

Actually 2 Attack Up Lv1 will give a +20 to attack, where a Attack Up Lv2 only +15. So at the beginning of the game when you're limited by space on your outfit it's better to go with 2 level 1 cards. Later on, when you're limited more by the 8 cards max rule, it may be better to use higher level cards.

Ah, that makes sense.
Thanks for the clarification (I knew they stacked but not the specific values).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just realized that I forgot to turn on auto-download Ragnarok Near gifts. Fuck.

Y'all should put some bro Hunter stuff out there (and add nicoga3000) so I can not hate the middle sections of this game and on. :|

OmegaZero

If you send stuff via near, does it get removed from your inventory?
And does someone have a spare Scavenger Hunt or Orcish Trance they're willing to send?

Mondriaan

If you send stuff via near, does it get removed from your inventory?
And does someone have a spare Scavenger Hunt or Orcish Trance they're willing to send?
It doesn't get removed so you should feel free to near anything that the game allows you to. The game doesn't allow you to re-near an item you received through Near, though. You have one "active" slot for Near, so if you near one thing and then pick something else, most people will only see that something else.

Also, you can only have 5 near items at a time.

OmegaZero

It doesn't get removed so you should feel free to near anything that the game allows you to. The game doesn't allow you to re-near an item you received through Near, though. You have one "active" slot for Near, so if you near one thing and then pick something else, most people will only see that something else.

Also, you can only have 5 near items at a time.

Ah, okay.
What about Near weapons? Can you refine/sell them?

8187224210_fb98767e91.jpg

Plat get!

Now that these cards are out of the way, I'm just gonna focus on completing the extra quests.

Ponn

Banned
Damn it, Chapter 3, can't beat
Grendel, distract from the wall
as cleric. Should I change class, and if is so do I have to grind? I'm not doing enough damage to him and can't seem to hold his attention.

Suddenly friend requests everywhere!

Do you play multiplayer, if so can I add you? I'm going to start trying multiplayer in a couple chapters, I just don't want to drag higher level players down to these lower chapter quests.
Voice chat work in multiplayer? I have one of those Vita headphones with mic built in. Do you don't really need strategy from what i'm seeing so far.

Emitan

Damn it, Chapter 3, can't beat
Grendel, distract from the wall
as cleric. Should I change class, and if is so do I have to grind? I'm not doing enough damage to him and can't seem to hold his attention.

Do you play multiplayer, if so can I add you? I'm going to start trying multiplayer in a couple chapters, I just don't want to drag higher level players down to these lower chapter quests.
Voice chat work in multiplayer? I have one of those Vita headphones with mic built in. Do you don't really need strategy from what i'm seeing so far.

psn is PublicEmilieNo1

no voice chat as far as I know

also that mission was impossible for me as a cleric too

pahamrick

Picked this up a few days ago, been having a blast as a Swordsman but I'm definitely still getting used to the combat.

PSN is The_Spectralist, feel free to add me. Not sharing anything on Near yet, since I haven't had anything decent that's worth sharing.

the demo is hard, can't beat the third mission, the fire wolf boss battle one. any tip to manage the camera? do you guys use lock on? I can't seem reliably lock on to nearest enemy, and cycling boss parts is also felt a bit random.

the demo is hard, can't beat the third mission, the fire wolf boss battle one. any tip to manage the camera? do you guys use lock on? I can't seem reliably lock on to nearest enemy, and cycling boss parts is also felt a bit random.

I find it easier to play as if there is no lock on at all, tap the L trigger whenever you want to recenter the camera and you should be able to always keep it facing the way you want.

This kind of camera control kind of comes as a second nature to me though after so much time spent playing PSO which used a pretty similar style of camera control.

The lock on is pretty finicky and often times will end up targeting the wrong enemy or giving you a camera view that will make you unable to see a boss charging up an attack behind you while you fight adds.

Foxix Von

OMG I DID IT! I just solo'd the chapter 3 boss.

I feel like just a BAMF RIGHT NOW. :D

=/ Great now I keep getting application errors. Wonderful.

EDIT: holy crap do they have any plans of fixing the online in this? I literally cannot play with anyone. If I don't fail to join the room then it just gives me an application error when we start a match.

Foxix Von

I went in to my connection settings, I know I've got NAT type 2 set up right, but what the hell I put it in my DMZ, and a different DNS. Even then it's still a crap shoot.

This really sucks =/ it seems to connect more reliably but my router only supports one DMZ so I've got like 3 systems all using the same IP address. *sigh*

Toki767

I went in to my connection settings, I know I've got NAT type 2 set up right, but what the hell I put it in my DMZ, and a different DNS. Even then it's still a crap shoot.

This really sucks =/ it seems to connect more reliably but my router only supports one DMZ so I've got like 3 systems all using the same IP address. *sigh*

Port Forwarding is kinda useful.

Its not just you dude it happens to me too and I have my vita on DMZ. The only game that gives me a problem is this.

Mikor

EDIT: holy crap do they have any plans of fixing the online in this? I literally cannot play with anyone. If I don't fail to join the room then it just gives me an application error when we start a match.

I can only speak for myself, and I've only tried Online mode a handful of times (only one or two PSN friends who have the game on my list), but each time that I have it's gone without a hitch. I had no need to port forward or anything, so...unfortunately, not sure what your issue is, Foxix.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So how good is the game? Thinking of getting it and reviews are all over the place it seems.

Pros
- Challenging
- Skill based progression similar to Monster Hunter
- Online multiplayer
- Loot is [usually] rewarding, typically in the form of cards

Cons
- Camera can be a bit wonky at times
- Challenge can become a bit much at times, sometimes to the point of feeling unfair (multiple enemies stun-locking you to death)
- Online can get quite laggy at times
- Loot and crafting progression is incredibly slow

So OK, the game is a LOT of fun. If you're a fan of Monster Hunter or Gods Eater Burst, you'll likely enjoy this game. Controls feel more similar to GEB than MH, fyi. The way you customize your character (stat/skill wise) is through cards. They have abilities like Atk Lv1 or Fast Recover or Poison Resist. You combine these cards in your armor to provide a slew of boosts (or "debuffs"/tradeoffs that some cards can have).

You also find and craft weapons that have skills on them. Ideally, finding a weapon that gives you two strong positive stat or trait boosts is what you want to hunt down.

The major issues of this game revolve around the loot progression, though. The camera can be a bit off, but that's manageable (not excusable, but it's something that you can at least figure out in time). The massive enemy groups becomes a bit ludicrous at times (Kill 100 Fire Giants in 30 minutes GO!), and the fact that many of these enemies will take you down in only a few hits, AND the fact that many can stun-lock you...Well, it's rough. More frustrating than game breaking, though.

But crafting and loot progression...Getting a good weapon to drop seems like a rare occurrence. In the 20 hours I've played, I've had one weapon drop that I could legitimately use. I'm not saying I haven't SEEN other Bows, but they've typically had mediocre bonuses or lower attack than my bow.

You also get materials and cards. Materials come from enemies and environment barrels and boxes. You can also break boss monster parts for their horns, gauntlets, tail fur, etc. The REAL problem with crafting is that you only get new recipes as you progress through the story. This presents you with a stale progression that's not limited by your hunting and gathering but by the difficulty of the mission you're currently on. If you get stuck (which you will), it's not a matter of saying, "Well I guess I'll go grind some materials for that armor I want." Monster Hunter crafting blows this game's system out of the water.

I'm a bit tired this morning, so I apologize for this little writeup being all over the place. The two most important things about what I've said:

1) Skill based progression similar to Monster Hunter and Gods Eater Burst (and similar controls, too)

2) Loot and crafting stagnates quickly and isn't as rewarding as other similar titles

That being said, it's definitely worth $40.

Mondriaan

I would say the meat of the game which is fighting stuff is more fun than Monster Hunter, but the part in RO where you dress up the characters and craft stuff is far less rewarding. Hunting stuff for parts in MH is mostly work for the fun parts (dressing up your characters and crafting stuff).

depward

Yeah, if you guys don't know about / aren't using Party Chat on Vita, you're missing out. It's really such a well designed app (and was a one of the biggest reasons for me picking one up).

Had a great night last night; rolled through most of the 7-x missions with a very efficient party. Got some sweet cards, too.

frequency

I really really really dislike the jump-focused bosses in this game. Jumping combat is never fun for me. The combat is still done like how you would on the ground but now you have less control, limited movement and time (AP), and even more frustrating camera angles.

All these giant bosses are really turning me off the game.
I just finished the "bearded" ice giant boss fight. Chapter 7 I think?

And a lot of this game just feels so cheap. Like bosses that have attacks that suck you in so you have to spend AP to get away - but while doing this regular enemies spawn and are not affected by the suck in attack. So you'll be stunned. And knocked down. And then hit for 1500 HP... and then be knocked back and hit the invisible wall that crits you for another 1500 HP.

So fun.
It's not.

Maybe it's because I've had a very frustrating night with slow down (think caused by internet lag), terrible boss fights, and getting stuck with 2000 zeny left and having to farm forever in the missions that offer too little reward while my co-op partner quit on me (or lost connection or whatever - doesn't matter) for the night when I needed help most.

I feel no sense of progression. I feel weaker now than I was at the beginning of the game. I think I may dislike this game.
But listening to the Ragnarok Online music is nice I guess...

kiyomi

This game does have its' fair share of flaws but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Speaking of which.

Anyone in chapter 4 to 5s or around that want to team up a little bit later? I have a couple of hours to sink in if there are people interested

Mondriaan

This game does have its' fair share of flaws but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Speaking of which.

Anyone in chapter 4 to 5s or around that want to team up a little bit later? I have a couple of hours to sink in if there are people interested
I'll probably be around later. Still at work.

So I decided if I ever want to get anywhere in this game, I should stop playing as a gimped class (Hunter). So I switched to a Swordsman and damn, I just run around smashing stuff til they are dead. God, so much easier.

One question, anything special about their guard? Doesn't look like I can guard combo well enough into it yet, probably without some better skills.

Top Bottom