• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank All 4 One |OT| Bros Before Foes

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Yay! This game got so much polish and love down the finish line.

Be sure to play with four people, so you get to hear all the witty writing from TJ and banter back and forth. :) (though if you play alone, play as Qwark. Srsly)

Defunkled

My local Toys 'R' Us had this game out on the shelves today and I tried to buy it for my girlfriend. Sadly, the register wouldn't let the salesperson ring it up.

KAL2006 said:
Will this game also have a online pass like Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3. Anyway, I think this game is DOA due to the huge amount of big games coming out (Battlefield 3, Uncharted 3, MW3, Batman AC, AC Revelations), which is a shame.

Really? This is certainly a more kid-friendly game than those you list.

This is great, I love the Lego games and LBP because they offer local multi-player and I prefer to have my kids playing with a friend, than playing solo. The social interaction when solving problems in co-operation is much more developing.

T-0800

Takao said:
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time debuted with 70k when it was released in the US. Do you think this is going to do worse than 70k?

Sadly it will. I have all the RC games on PS3 and after playing the beta of this one I don't see myself getting it anytime soon. Some great reviews and impressions from GAFers could change my mind. The beta was full of connection errors and after what happened with R3 I don't have much confidence that it will be fixed by launch.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
T-0800 said:
Sadly it will. I have all the RC games on PS3 and after playing the beta of this one I don't see myself getting it anytime soon. Some great reviews and impressions from GAFers could change my mind. The beta was full of connection errors and after what happened with R3 I don't have much confidence that it will be fixed by launch.

totally different situations and online architecture.

Loudninja

Dengeki review 85/85/90/85
http://gamingeverything.com/10338/d...w-scores-first-ratchet-clank-all-4-one-score/

Famitsu review 8/8/9/9
Famitsu gives Insomniac's latest about the same score they've given every game in the series. "The quick controls and pretty graphics, both hallmarks of the series, are as fresh as always here," said one reviewer. "Multiplayer co-op tends to wind up pretty chaotic in action, but that's still fun in and of itself."

"There's nothing particularly new about this," another one commented, "but it's still a well-made and easy to approach action game. It's built from the ground up for co-op, but the AI is smart enough that singleplayer still works pretty well. The goofy cutscenes between stages are also pretty amusing -- the Japanese dub is good enough that it basically feels like watching a US cartoon."
http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-dead-island

Salz01

I want to like this one, but when I played it at E3, I walked away from frustration. I know that was like 4 months ago, but with no hype, demo or real hands on previews, this is a sit and wait instead of an instant purchase like the other ones.

MrPliskin

Banned
T-0800 said:

Well, you also thought the R3 beta was a demo, to be fair.

The very purpose of the A4O Beta was to iron out those connection issues, and they were all but gone at the tail end of the beta, as the server management was improved. Just saying.

I wish I had the time and money for this now. As a fan of the series since the first game, I'll certainly be picking this up when I get the chance. Hopefully, the demo can pacify me until then.

KingK

Takao said:
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack In Time debuted with 70k when it was released in the US. Do you think this is going to do worse than 70k?

That is fucking tragic. ACiT is not only possibly the best Ratchet game, but one of the best games on the PS3. It deserved so much better sales. Do we know what it's current number is?

Also, I won't be able to get this Ratchet right away. It's just launching at an awful time. I won't have the time or money to play it until Christmas, so hopefully I'll get it as a gift then :)

edit: I've also been a fan since the first game. I got a PS2 with Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Sly Cooper for Christmas of 2002 (wow, that was so long ago!). Best Christmas ever.

Sidzed2

The problem with this game is that it just doesn't feel like a real, full-blown Ratchet & Clank title to me.

At worst, it seems to be another 'Deadlocked / Gladiator' diversion from the main series.

I'd like to be informed otherwise, but for now this is a 'rent / buy down the line when cheap' proposition... which is sad, because I was a Day One purchaser of both Tools of Destruction and Crack in Time.

highrider

Banned
i am somewhat concerned about the co-op focus. it's very hard with kids to play online much in an organized way. enjoyed the previous games enough where it kind of gets a pass i guess..

Brazil said:
I think I'll pick this up before Arkham City.

Batman doesn't need my help to sell well this month.

yep - will be getting this tomorrow. i've never played a ratchet game i didn't like, & i'm just grateful they keep getting made... plus, after 2 weeks of dark souls, i could use a few laughs right about now :) ...

Trevelyan

Banned
Awesome. Can't wait to get this tomorrow. Really love me some Ratchet and Clank; the series will never get old with me. JS, if you're still here, is the review embargo up tomorrow morning? Oh yeah, people hit me up for some co-op! My PSN is same as here.

MrPliskin

Banned
Been working on some avatars, wallpapers (iPhone and PS3) and will hopefully have a beefy update for the OT tomorrow. Working the midnight release tonight, and will probably play this for a few hours after that, lol. Impressions soon!

I've been a fan of Ratchet & Clank since the beginning, but damn. I've got Dark Souls, Arkham City, and Uncharted 3 already paid for so I don't know if I'm gonna pick this up right away. Will probably wait for a Christmas sale, but I feel really bad about it.

chiQ

I've pre-ordered, out of faith in IG. I hope it pays off. The pre-order means I won't be getting Batman day one (comes out the day after A4O in NZ).

Carl

Going to give the demo a try when we get the store update.

I've been buying these games on release since the second game in the series and have loved every single one of them, but this one really just doesn't click with me. Everything i've played of it has just been "meh" and seems like it was completely made for multiplayer and the solo player was shoved to the side. If that's the case then i really don't want it ;(

dreamfall

MrPliskin said:
Been working on some avatars, wallpapers (iPhone and PS3) and will hopefully have a beefy update for the OT tomorrow. Working the midnight release tonight, and will probably play this for a few hours after that, lol. Impressions soon!

Excited to hear what you think! I wish this game would get more attention- love Ratchet, and this multiplayer take seems really awesome.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Carl said:
seems like it was completely made for multiplayer and the solo player was shoved to the side. If that's the case then i really don't want it ;(
The singleplayer is the multiplayer is the singleplayer.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Beta was horrible, online was horrible, so much lag, clipping, random deaths, nothing saving, glitches galore, someone joins your game, you restart at checkpoint which hinders progress

Crazy things is they have a fixed camera to the host, so if you aren't host, the camera pulls you, if you don't follow group

You're better off waiting a month or two, just like Resistance 3, patch after patch to stabilize it, then try to enjoy it

Trevelyan

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Beta was horrible, online was horrible, so much lag, clipping, random deaths, nothing saving, glitches galore, someone joins your game, you restart at checkpoint which hinders progress

Crazy things is they have a fixed camera to the host, so if you aren't host, the camera pulls you, if you don't follow group

You're better off waiting a month or two, just like Resistance 3, patch after patch to stabilize it, then try to enjoy it
That's odd, it almost sounds like you're describing a beta.

I still had fun despite all those issues, which I expect to be vacant from the game tomorrow.

Carl

mik said:
The singleplayer is the multiplayer is the singleplayer.

You know what i mean. It seems like they didn't really take into account the guy playing it on his own. They really focused on co-op.

GraveRobberX

Trevelyan said:
That's odd, it almost sounds like you're describing a beta.

I still had fun despite all those issues, which I expect to be vacant from the game tomorrow.

Oh you mean a Beta one month away from release...where have I seen that before..Oh Yes! Resistance 3 by the same developer, amazing huh!

Jeels

How much is the online pass because unless I happen to fall into money, I will probably be getting this off Goozex or something.

i am somewhat concerned about the co-op focus. it's very hard with kids to play online much in an organized way. enjoyed the previous games enough where it kind of gets a pass i guess..

Honestly, I was having a ton of fun during the beta, when it wasn't lagging/framratedrop. When people were messing up it was flat out hilarious.

GraveRobberX

Jeels said:
How much is the online pass because unless I happen to fall into money, I will probably be getting this off Goozex or something.

$9.99 as usual

It's a shame I don't have any interest in this, because I'm a big fan of the franchise. I feel like they should have realized that totally changing the game just for a co-op experience was a horrible design decision. The biggest co-op games this gen kept their traditional gameplay, but built co-op into the campaign. I would have been thrilled to see that happen. This, not so much.

AAK

Skeptics be gone!

tedprice610.jpg

In this man I trust :D

But in all honesty, if this game is even half as good as ACiT, it'll still be the best game released in the past 2 years. I can't wait.

MrPliskin said:

Give this man a medal.

MrPliskin

Banned
AAK said:
Skeptics be gone!

Give this man a medal.

I dunno man, you've put in WORK on the Tekken OT. I'll definitely try to life up to that rep :p

Been playing on the big screen here at work (perks of working for a private business). Been really fun! Folks are really digging on both it and Batman.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Even as a R&C fan I'm not confident about this one.

The lack of reviews is really discouraging.

I believe that's Sony's embargo's. I think they've done that with quite a few games this gen, with only some publications publishing reviews early (namely, Japanese pubs). Should be lots coming out tonight / tomorrow.

Ravage

KingK said:
That is fucking tragic. ACiT is not only possibly the best Ratchet game, but one of the best games on the PS3. It deserved so much better sales. Do we know what it's current number is?

Always glad to see someone who shares my opinion :)

As for A41, I couldn't get into the beta but i've heard good things about it. Are we getting a demo on the PS Store soon?

MrPliskin

Banned
Ravage said:
Always glad to see someone who shares my opinion :)

As for A41, I couldn't get into the beta but i've heard good things about it. Are we getting a demo on the PS Store soon?

Demo should be on the PS Store, but given how brain dead SCEA is with demo's, I'd expect to be downloading it from SCEE instead.

Also, ACiT sold really well. Ratchet games have absurdly long legs. They're never front loaded, but sell really well over long periods of time. I know each one has done well over 1 million world wide, with ToD being over 2M IIRC. The games don't have massive budgets, and their turn around on development is really short, so they're generally really profitable (which is what is important in the long term).

MrPliskin

Banned
Sorry for the double post, here's some quick notes:

Day 1 Patch, it's small (19MB).
Intro movie is pretty awesome (we've seen most of it before). Hides roughly 30 to 40 percent of the initial install.

Digging into the actual game now, will probably just post tomorrow with more details. Time to enjoy Copernicus Quark's Awesomely Epic 3D Adventure Through Time & Space!

*Co-starring but not important in any way, Ratchet & Clank.

Edit: This game makes it loud and clear that the series needs a cg movie or a Saturday morning cartoon...so badly.

MrPliskin

Banned
Tough pulling myself away, but I do have class in the morning. Overall I'm enjoying it, and it's definitely more than playable solo for those interested!

Writing is great, animation is good, and the colors! So far, so good.

MrPliskin said:
Tough pulling myself away, but I do have class in the morning. Overall I'm enjoying it, and it's definitely more than playable solo for those interested!

Writing is great, animation is good, and the colors! So far, so good.

Does the game still have skill points?

KingK said:
That is fucking tragic. ACiT is not only possibly the best Ratchet game, but one of the best games on the PS3.
Indeed, I absolutely loved it. Cautiously optimistic for this, does seem a bit strange that there's no reviews etc given that it's releasing this week.

question:

what happens if you play say with ONE buddy only, are the other 2 spots taken up by the A.I. then or will you run through the levels as a team of 2 then?

Famassu

Might be getting this today or tomorrow. Will post impressions soon if I have the time to play it enough to form them.

Wow this one slip under my the radar. I've been somewhat interested in this, but I haven't played a Ratchet since Tools of Destruction. Definitely going to pick this up at some point assuming it is pretty decent.

Tguy said:
Wow this one slip under my the radar. I've been somewhat interested in this, but I haven't played a Ratchet since Tools of Destruction. Definitely going to pick this up at some point assuming it is pretty decent.

You should play A Crack in Time first. It's a direct sequel to Tools and it's only 20 bucks.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Anyone here on the west coast that would like to play through it with me? Send me a message with Ratchet and Clank or something in the subject. I got that wireless headset and it would be nice if you had a mic too.

PSN: thunderbear

Top Bottom