• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank All 4 One |OT| Bros Before Foes

Famassu

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
You should play A Crack in Time first. It's a direct sequel to Tools and it's only 20 bucks.
+ not only is it better than Tools of Destruction, it's possibly the best Ratchet & Clank game. Or at least in the Top 2.

Famassu said:
+ not only is it better than Tools of Destruction, it's possibly the best Ratchet & Clank game. Or at least in the Top 2.

Yeah. If there's two essential Ratchet games people should play its ACIT and Up Your Arsenal.

Elixist

This looks intersting, not sure if its for me. This thread reminded me i need to pick up a copy of ACiT tho, dint have a ps3 when it was released and i had forgot about it (^^)

Globox_82

Banned
Famassu said:
ACIT is THE best ratchet game, period! It was one of my top 5 games in 09, and 09 was sick year.

this ratchet doesn't interest me one bit. I don't want coop ratchet, just as I don't want coop Resident Evil. Those type of games are meant to be played as single player games.

Thrakier

Globox_82 said:
ACIT is THE best ratchet game, period! It was one of my top 5 games in 09, and 09 was sick year.

this ratchet doesn't interest me one bit. I don't want coop ratchet, just as I don't want coop Resident Evil. Those type of games are meant to be played as single player games.

Yeah, same for me. It's a pity though. Game is going to bomb hard.

Just played the first level. Man this game moves slow, kinda surprised at that. Hopefully it picks up the pace quick, it seemed to move a lot faster at preview events I attended.

Takao said:
I believe you can either fill the spots with AI, or just go with your buddy.

If you're only one player, a A.I. Clank will be your buddy during the adventure, since the minimum amount of players needed is two for puzzles and team actions.

Takao

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Edit: This game makes it loud and clear that the series needs a cg movie or a Saturday morning cartoon...so badly.

Sony Animation Studios - BELIEVE

Winnie the Pimp said:
question:

what happens if you play say with ONE buddy only, are the other 2 spots taken up by the A.I. then or will you run through the levels as a team of 2 then?

I believe you can either fill the spots with AI, or just go with your buddy.

ymmv

Banned
Thrakier said:
Yeah, same for me. It's a pity though. Game is going to bomb hard.

I just hope it doesn't kill the series ... It's worrying to see so many fans of the series asking themselves if they should buy the game or not.

Carbonox

I'll buy it on the cheap. I'm done with the Resistance franchise and while I do not agree with the direction Insomniac went with this new R&C game, I still have faith that it will be a fun game, just not on the level of A Crack in Time. That game cannot be surpassed, for me, and is Insomniac's last truly great game.

omgkitty

I'm so disappointed no one is talking about this game. I understand that some people aren't interested because of the 4 player, but this can be played in single player. I'm definitely picking this up with Batman today at Toysrus.

omgkitty said:
I'm so disappointed no one is talking about this game. I understand that some people aren't interested because of the 4 player, but this can be played in single player. I'm definitely picking this up with Batman today at Toysrus.

Thing is. It's not that fun in singleplayer (as of two hours in)

Globox_82

Banned
omgkitty said:

I always felt that Ratchet games should have been released during summer, then you cut price in fall so parents pick it up in wallmarts or whatever.

This is like the Deadlocked of this generation. Force a concept no one was remotely clamoring for in a Ratchet game (4 player co-op here, arena combat in Deadlocked). There is no buzz because nobody wanted it. In many ways this smells a bit like a test bed for Overstrike, to see what ideas work and don't in 4 player.

I loved A Crack in Time, it's easily my favorite RaC game and I got the platinum for it. Even so, I'm still passing on this one. Between the release timing and the whole "4 player co-op" design I just can't muster up any excitement for it.

TripOpt55

I am going to get this soon. I am pretty excited. Looking forward to co-op, but am going to try it singleplayer first. Just so I can pay attention to the story and stuff first time through.

MrPliskin

Banned
Vinterbird said:
Thing is. It's not that fun in singleplayer (as of two hours in)
I think that's definitely debatable based on preferences and tastes. It's not a bad experience in SP, and it's really fun MP. It is noticeably slower than previous titles, but I feel like the banter and coop sections help to move things along.

MrPliskin said:
I think that's definitely debatable based on preferences and tastes. It's not a bad experience in SP, and it's really fun MP. It is noticeably slower than previous titles, but I feel like the banter and coop sections help to move things along.

I can see that some would have fun with this title alone, but I think it will be easier to have fun with it if you're a lot younger, and don't want something that is all that challenging.

The game is very clearly designed around co-op, and I can't wait to play it like that tonight, but from what I've played of it alone I'm not that impressed with it, since it seems extremely bare bones and uninteresting for a one man game.

Globox_82

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I loved A Crack in Time, it's easily my favorite RaC game and I got the platinum for it. Even so, I'm still passing on this one. Between the release timing and the whole "4 player co-op" design I just can't muster up any excitement for it.

I liked it so much that i started my second play through right away and got platinum. I didn't do that with Uncharted 1,2, or AC game. I think I only did the same with Infamous games.

TheExodu5

Banned
Shtof said:
Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are easily the best R&C games, and some of the best games ever made. They messed up the control scheme in the Future series.

The Lock-Strafe controls in Future are identical to UYA.

Famassu said:

Yup. ACiT and UYA are awesome.

Lightning

Banned
Can this game be played single player as well? If it's co-op only then I think i will be passing on this which is a shame because A Crack in Time is one of my favorite games this gen.

MrPliskin

Banned
Vinterbird said:
I can see that some would have fun with this title alone, but I think it will be easier to have fun with it if you're a lot younger, and don't want something that is all that challenging.

The game is very clearly designed around co-op, and I can't wait to play it like that tonight, but from what I've played of it alone I'm not that impressed with it, since it seems extremely bare bones and uninteresting for a one man game.

It is an arguably better experience in co-op, namely because you're not only goofing off with friends / other people, but you also have the added element of competing for bolts, working for skill points, and griefing your friends :p

Lightning said:
Can this game be played single player as well? If it's co-op only then I think i will be passing on this which is a shame because A Crack in Time is one of my favorite games this gen.

Yep. When you play Single Player, clan is assigned as the AI partner and hops onto the back of whatever character you choose. It's still fun in SP (IMO), but it's definitely slower, and the challenge feels like it's lowered (since you're not competing for resources).

Erasus

I love the PS2 and PS3 Ratchet games!

All the PS3 ones have been amazing and are some of my favourite games.

But I´ll see how good this is solo.

Famassu

Globox_82 said:
The only reason why I'm hesitating giving it the number one spot is because it's been years since I last played Up Your Arsenal (don't have a PS2 and it either works like a slideshow on my 60GB launch PS3 or doesn't work at all, don't remember which). I only remember UYA being the best PS2 R&C and better than Tools of Destruction, but I'd have to play it again to say whether ACiT is better than UYA or not. Here's hoping a R&C HD Collection follows the rumoured Jak & Daxter one next year.

I can't wait for this.

I first got into Ratchet this generation of games so needless to say I'm super excited for this sequel, even if the focus is on co-op. Glad you can get all trophies and beat the game in primarily single-player too.

(Now we need a PS2 HD collection so I can experience what I missed last gen.)

Himself

This game looks great, it's still got the same charm and creativity of the old ratchet games, and has more variety in it than most coop games that I've played. Unfortunately I'm broke, don't have anyone to play it with, single player was pretty sad, and I'm worried there won't e anyone playing online when i can afford it.

For those with people to play with, game looks amazing. A nice break from the seriousness of dark souls etc.

SykoTech

Was planning on buying this Day 1, but it's gonna have to wait until the weekend. Got 4 exams this week, 3 of which are on the same day. This semester blows. Looking forward to the game though.

Also...

Famassu said:

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Yeah. If there's two essential Ratchet games people should play its ACIT and Up Your Arsenal.

What these guys said.

Rainy Dog

Crewnh said:
Man, UYA barely had any platforming. Going Commando is the best PS2 Ratchet.

I'm on your side.

That said, I still have a soft spot for the very first R&C. My memories a bit foggy but there was something fundamentally missing in the controls that they added from GC onwards... Inability to strafe and shoot I think? Whatever it was exactly, it made the shooting/combat a bit trickier and more tactical than all the sequels I felt. I also remember the first game still having the most pure platforming.

Cracking games, all if them, at any rate. I'd buy a HD collection in a heartbeat.

wouwie

GitarooMan said:
This is like the Deadlocked of this generation. Force a concept no one was remotely clamoring for in a Ratchet game (4 player co-op here, arena combat in Deadlocked). There is no buzz because nobody wanted it. In many ways this smells a bit like a test bed for Overstrike, to see what ideas work and don't in 4 player.

In Insomniac's defence, a lot of people here on Gaf were saying how Insomniac should lay the series to rest or try something different with it. And they did. Not sure if 4 player co-op was the way to go though.

I love the R&C games (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty and A crack in Time are among my favourite games on ps3) and will surely pick this up at some point but probably on the cheap because i'm a single player guy.

Whatever happens, i soooo hope that Insomniac will do a new Ratchet single player game when the new generation consoles arrive. I hate to think this would be the last game in this awesome series and universe.

Loudninja

PS Nation A
I’ve written a good number of reviews since my time with PSNation began and I can honestly say that this has been the easiest of them all to write. Ratchet and Clank All 4 One is a no-brainer! It is a family-friendly game in a world filled with Mature-rated titles. The gameplay is solid and fun as a single player and is absolutely brilliant when you start adding more players into the mix. The characters’ comments can be laugh out loud and the addition of 3D is downright staggering. Even though I was mildly surprised by the slightly downgraded in-game colors this game is just shy of perfect. Buy this game for yourself and play it with your friends and family – you won’t be disappointed.
http://www.psnation.org/2011/10/18/review-ratchet-and-clank-all-4-one-ps3/

Game front review 75/100
Pros:

It is co-op
Some good set pieces
Great AI partner if you’re playing by yourself

Cons:

No exploration; perfectly linear
Annoying arena battles.
Can’t skip or pause cutscenes
Missing that one great weapon
http://www.gamefront.com/ratchet-clank-all-4-one-review/

Dengeki review 85/85/90/85
http://gamingeverything.com/10338/d...w-scores-first-ratchet-clank-all-4-one-score/

Famitsu review 8/8/9/9
Famitsu gives Insomniac's latest about the same score they've given every game in the series. "The quick controls and pretty graphics, both hallmarks of the series, are as fresh as always here," said one reviewer. "Multiplayer co-op tends to wind up pretty chaotic in action, but that's still fun in and of itself."

"There's nothing particularly new about this," another one commented, "but it's still a well-made and easy to approach action game. It's built from the ground up for co-op, but the AI is smart enough that singleplayer still works pretty well. The goofy cutscenes between stages are also pretty amusing -- the Japanese dub is good enough that it basically feels like watching a US cartoon."
http://www.1up.com/news/japan-review-check-dead-island

While I prefer traditional Ratchet games I think the 4 player coop was a great idea when you look at the success of New Super Mario Brothers Wii. All 4 One will make a great title for any family that wants something similar to that. Will Sony give it the marketing it needs to reach that audience? That remains to be seen.

Loudninja

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/ratchet_and_clank_all_4_one/review-2.html

7/10

+Plenty of cool weapons
+Bosses impress
-AI partner can cause problems
-Simple compared to previous titles

Simple? Linear? Shitty AI?

Thought so. I really am not surprised this isn't lighting anyone up. It was never going to be a main Ratchet title and frankly I'm very disappointed as this is one of my favourite franchises.
You sure are easy to sway.

Carbonox_Ratchet said:
http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/ratchet_and_clank_all_4_one/review-2.html

7/10

+Plenty of cool weapons
+Bosses impress
-AI partner can cause problems
-Simple compared to previous titles

Simple? Linear? Shitty AI?

Thought so. I really am not surprised this isn't lighting anyone up. It was never going to be a main Ratchet title and frankly I'm very disappointed as this is one of my favourite franchises.

From Gamefront review:
"Your AI partner is as skilled as any I’ve ever seen in a game"
"Still, props to Insomniac for creating an AI partner that seriously works well."

I'd not say shitty AI.

AAK

ke6slx.jpg

YES It's HERE!

rr1dtv.jpg

What.... nooo Please God no!

2chqgcn.jpg

vader-nooooo.jpg

I wanted my reversible cover :'(

Top Bottom